The R46 Thread

EE Broadway Local

I usually get this train on the (R) line when I make my way out to Queens Center. I don't really mind them, I just would like for some of those trains to be a little cleaner. One time I got onto the last car of an (R) train and it smelled like piss!

I do like the seating arrangements on the R46 cars, it's interesting.

While not a distinctive feature of the R46s, I do like the transverse seating that they are outfitted with. Being able to sit facing forwards (or backwards) feels better on my back. We're not fish, our back is not supposed to move side-to-side.

the r-46s are my favorite cars been riding them for 30 years and i love thier design and ride. they have a smooth ride and a design that is never outdated and morrison-knudsen did a magnificent job of rebuliding them adding the led displays and removing the blue strip love the 46s they could go another 20 years if maintained. the lines i loved them the most on are the (E) and (F). they are the best 75 foot cars made

R46s rule on the (F) and (V) lines. I hope that the MTA decides to put the R160 on the (A) and (C) lines. So that the 8th ave line could be like the lexington ave line. Plus the (F) can get it's R46s back. And it will only have to run R160s during rush hours. Cause I sure do not like what there doing with the (F) line now. I CAN'T ESCAPE THE R160 (F) TRAIN!!! IT'S HORRIBLE!!!

R46s rule on the (F) and (V) lines. I hope that the MTA decides to put the R160 on the (A) and (C) lines. So that the 8th ave line could be like the lexington ave line. Plus the (F) can get it's R46s back. And it will only have to run R160s during rush hours. Cause I sure do not like what there doing with the (F) line now. I CAN'T ESCAPE THE R160 (F) TRAIN!!! IT'S HORRIBLE!!!

Make the (A)(C) like the Lex line? O...k.....

R160s are fine on the (F). Even though the R46 are better. Also the R44 on the (A) still got a little bit of life in them and are expected to be retired by the R179 not R160..

well, I would like the (A) to be R44 and R160Bs. With slightly more R160Bs. the (C) should be all R160s along with the (E). the (F) should be mostly R46s and 6-12 R160B sets during rush hours. the (G)(R) and (V) should be all R46s until R179s are out. The (N)(Q) and (W) should be R68s and R160s. The (J)(L)(M) and (Z) should be all R160s and R143s for the (L).

well, I would like the (A) to be R44 and R160Bs. With slightly more R160Bs. the (C) should be all R160s along with the (E). the (F) should be mostly R46s and 6-12 R160B sets during rush hours. the (G)(R) and (V) should be all R46s until R179s are out. The (N)(Q) and (W) should be R68s and R160s. The (J)(L)(M) and (Z) should be all R160s and R143s for the (L).

Nah keep the R160s out of the (A)(C)! Leave it how it is.. Old tech rules! When R179 is out then we can ditch the R160s lol

Don't even try to hold your breath. This isn't gonna happen.

Nah keep the R160s out of the (A)(C)! Leave it how it is.. Old tech rules! When R179 is out then we can ditch the R160s lol

R160s are put to much better use on the (A)(C) than they are on lines such as the (N)(W). It would be helpful to airport riders. I'm not saying the (N)(W) don't deserve R160s but it's a moot point since the (A) will most likely get R179s anyway.

I love the R46's. Always have and always will. They work on all the lines that they are on currently but they are/were at their best on the (E) and (F). That's the REAL (E) & (F) line right there. I wish we could have just one day of nothing but R46's on the (E) but I know that's never going to happen again. They are also great on the (A) too, just a little odd seeing them there but they still do a fantastic job on that line. The R46's kick some serious ass!

R46s are an improvement version to the R44, IMO. I'm glad that these cars have made their way on the (A) (even though they pushed out my Slants :mad:), but that doesn't change the fact that R46s are my favorite 75 footers.

As far as B-Division rolling stock does, I feel that while the 68/A's are sometimes a smoother, less bouncy ride, the 46's seem to be less noisy on the interior, allowing the traction motors to be heard, and they also seem to brake more smoothly. The 68 seems to give the riders less of a throw when the operator takes a grab than all of the other SMEE's, and I think that the 46 brakes even more gently (for most operators!).

Also, I ride 46s nearly every day, and rarely have I encountered a problem with climate control. They seem to be more reliable than some of the newer railcars.

I usually get this train on the (R) line when I make my way out to Queens Center. I don't really mind them, I just would like for some of those trains to be a little cleaner. One time I got onto the last car of an (R) train and it smelled like piss!

yea...ur gonna get that alot, lol.

What are your opinions and thoughts on the R46 subway cars and which lines have you liked the R46s on?

The R46 is the greatest subway car ever built. It is so large and comfortable. An 8 car R46 can hold more people than a 10 car R32 or R42. The interior of the R46 looks like a commuter rail car. When the R46 accelerates it sounds like a spaceship. I liked the old days when the (F) was 100% R46. Here are some of my best R46 pics:

SN851810.jpg

SN851807.jpg

S6301037.jpg

SN851821.jpg

Archived