The R46 Thread

EE Broadway Local

The R46 is the greatest subway car ever built. It is so large and comfortable. An 8 car R46 can hold more people than a 10 car R32 or R42. The interior of the R46 looks like a commuter rail car. When the R46 accelerates it sounds like a spaceship. I liked the old days when the (F) was 100% R46. Here are some of my best R46 pics:

SN851810.jpg

SN851807.jpg

S6301037.jpg

SN851821.jpg

amen last night about 900 pm i saw a 46 going to the jamaica yard in between van wyck briarwood and union turnpike with an (E) sign on the front display brought back memories

The R46 is the greatest subway car ever built. It is so large and comfortable. An 8 car R46 can hold more people than a 10 car R32 or R42. The interior of the R46 looks like a commuter rail car. When the R46 accelerates it sounds like a spaceship. I liked the old days when the (F) was 100% R46.

Yeah, I love the way the R46 sounds when it pulls in and out of the station.

While not a distinctive feature of the R46s, I do like the transverse seating that they are outfitted with. Being able to sit facing forwards (or backwards) feels better on my back. We're not fish, our back is not supposed to move side-to-side.

Agreed. It's a shame that type of seating is not the norm compared to commuter rail.

The Arnines did have them first. It is a shame that the NTTs didn't continue on with the transverse seats though.

I wouldn't mind transversed seats only with no side seats for standing room. I guess that the T/A hasn't thought about that yet in spite of not including the flip seats in the A R160 cars.

I have only one problem with the R46. I ride em mostly everyday, and everyday it's the same issue. Since people on the (A) love to stand by doors, i hate the fact that the glass, such as on the R44, isnt there. Its a real bother when u feel someone's coat rubbing up against your ear. This also ties into not having the luxury of resting your head on that glass after a long day.

That's why I like the R44s, R62As, and R68/As; they are so quiet that their acceleration is barely noticeable.

I find the R46s acceleration quieter than R68s or R68As (no discernable difference) and a bit quieter than R44s. I find the R62As louder than the R62s and noticeably louder than the B division trains. I mostly notice the click-clack sounds of the trucks on the R46s where I definitely can hear the traction motors on the R62/As and sometimes on the R68/As and even the Seiman's propulsion NTTs.

When the R46 accelerates it sounds like a spaceship.

You know you're right, it does sound like a spaceship. It's sure is smooth on the rails too. It's great when you get to ride them as express trains on the (F) in Queens or the (A) and feel how smooth the train is at that fast speed. The R46's are some incredible cars.

I find the R46s acceleration quieter than R68s or R68As (no discernable difference) and a bit quieter than R44s. I find the R62As louder than the R62s and noticeably louder than the B division trains. I mostly notice the click-clack sounds of the trucks on the R46s where I definitely can hear the traction motors on the R62/As and sometimes on the R68/As and even the Seiman's propulsion NTTs.

The ghostly acceleration sound of the R46 and R62 gets annoying over time. If you sit on certain ends of the trains with WH acceleration, you can barely hear the sound.

The R68s(Westinghouse) has some serious propulsion sounds.It sounds like a jet engine.

If you're referring to the whirring noise, that's a metallurgical quality in one of the gears (I think the pinion?) that causes that but it's nothing harmful or dangerous. Only some of them have it because it was detected and corrected.

So basically its not suppose to make that sound?

It was not designed to. The issue was very minor (the only effect was the noise) and was corrected in later deliveries but the parts were already in circulation. There's really no order to which cars have it and which don't anymore.

It was not designed to. The issue was very minor (the only effect was the noise) and was corrected in later deliveries but the parts were already in circulation. There's really no order to which cars have it and which don't anymore.
Interestin tidbit.Either way I love that sound,but I had a slight feeling that It wasn`t kosher to hear that.Thanks subway guy.:tup:

I have only one problem with the R46. I ride em mostly everyday, and everyday it's the same issue. Since people on the (A) love to stand by doors, i hate the fact that the glass, such as on the R44, isnt there. Its a real bother when u feel someone's coat rubbing up against your ear. This also ties into not having the luxury of resting your head on that glass after a long day.

The NTTs aren't much better in that respect. I don't usually lean my head against the glass or wall anyway, but those bars by the doors aren't comfortable to lean up against either. Also, the pole in the middle of each bench makes the seating awkward. The R-44/46 as well as all other car classes with just a single bar are fine. The R-62s also have an uncomfortable seating arrangement.

If you're referring to the whirring noise, that's a metallurgical quality in one of the gears (I think the pinion?) that causes that but it's nothing harmful or dangerous. Only some of them have it because it was detected and corrected.
All train with WH propulsions/motors have that metallurgical feature including the R44s, R62As, and even the R1s. I personally view the WH acceleration as distinctive with the deep growl at the start of the run and consider it a classic since the R1 was the first to emit a deep growl when accelerating. Speaking of the deep growl, it's almost impossible to record the sound with a camera b/c the sound is so deep. The only video that I heard the WH deep growl from was one that feature an R62A express run on the now-defunct nycrails.com. Sorry for going off topic.

Archived