The beakie box

St Louis Car 09

Not many people pay attention to it but ever since I was younger I was fascinated by the beakie box.For those who don`t know,the beakie box is the color coded metal box located behind the drivers cab and it lights up every time a specific fare is paid.Eg: Elderly,regular,student etc Lighting up in different colors.Now I also heard that the beakie box also gets some drivers in trouble due to the fact that it records each transaction made at the fare box and can determine how many people entered the bus with or without paying.If that is true please confirm or deny.Im amazed they are still using those things.

you known that beakie box is not being used on

2009 Orion7NG and there is no beakie box. anyway.

Its actually before that too. Half of the OGs (the newer ones 67xx and later) don't have them either. Also none of the buses on (MTA) Bus has them either (with the exception of maybe the express buses.)

And I always wondered what it was used for. The order it goes in is as follows...

LEFT SIDE:

Pass (yellow)

Adult (red)

Xfer (orange)

RIGHT SIDE:

STUD'T (blue)

SPCL (green)

BYPS (purple-ish)

BTW: wat does BYPS stand for? I barely see it lit up but when it does, its continuously flashing.

The box is more for police i thought but it can be for supervisors giving rides.
I know the transit police use the light behind the turnstile for that purpose. To ticket those using Metrocards that they aren't supposed to use.

Yep, by using it you could get a $100 ticket.

Dang!

Well, I'm still young so I blend in with the school crowd when I head to school in the morning. I still have my high school ID. But then again, I'm almost a legal adult, I should be paying to ride the subway now. That's life for ya....

Dang!

Well, I'm still young so I blend in with the school crowd when I head to school in the morning. I still have my high school ID. But then again, I'm almost a legal adult, I should be paying to ride the subway now. That's life for ya....

School ID won't matter. If you do get stopped, the officer will want to see you State issued ID or they can just run you name. Better to be safe then out $100.

Now, does anyone know where the term "beakie" came from?

Dang!

You'll get busted eventually. That's how I got a ticket for using my school metrocard on holidays.

You'll get busted eventually. That's how I got a ticket for using my school metrocard on holidays.

One time a friend and I traveled all the way to Fresh Meadows just to fetch the last copy of a movie at the Blockbuster there after a desperate search. My friend used her Student Metro Card (after being warned by her sister and myself) and it was during the spring break vacation in April. On the way back to Flushing the bus driver noticed her use the card but eventually let her go...

Don't do it!

One time a friend and I traveled all the way to Fresh Meadows just to fetch the last copy of a movie at the Blockbuster there after a desperate search. My friend used her Student Metro Card (after being warned by her sister and myself) and it was during the spring break vacation in April. On the way back to Flushing the bus driver noticed her use the card but eventually let her go...

Don't do it!

oh the irony, I was going to blockbuster to return a movie when I got the ticket. lol

Archived