Wow! Finally A SIR Service Alert

Sea Beach

Posted on:11/9/2009 3:23:59 PM

Due to FDNY activity at the Annadale Station, there is no Staten Island Railway service in both directions from the Great Kills Station to the Pleasant Plains Station.

Please expect delays in service on Staten Island Railway.

Bumper over-run?

- A

Not only that, but the major bustitution that occurred back in May, I think it was the weekend after the 20th. I was in Florida at the time and I was kinda dissapointed from not being able to do that bustitution. I think it was from Grant City to Tottenville.

The leaf problems are not caused by third rail fires. It's the standard commuter rail problem-leaves fall on tracks and are crushed by the first train, leaving slippery residue that other trains slip on. The reason there are delays is that trains sometimes overshoot stations, and operators start breaking early.

MFL uses wide-gauge tracks and underrunning 3rd rail (MNR type).

Nononono, not that drastic. Like maybe they could take the old M1's.

I would say not a chance for M-1s. I believe there haven't been any in service on the LIRR for a few years now and I think the MNRR M-1As are either no longer or seeing very limited service. At this point, considering that most of SIR's fleet has gone through a recent SMS, there isn't much of a point in placing M-1s or 3s on there ... not to mention there are still clearance issues at St. George.

And about the idea of converting the SIR to "subway proper" ... I don't understand what that accomplishes considering that any sort of connection with the rest the NYCTS is very unlikely in the near future.

ugh, not the SIRR to NYCT connection talk again. This has been discussed to the point that the dead horse has been beaten to atomic particles. Read up the past previous discussions if you're really interested in it but please, no more.

Archived