A daily 175 mile commute

Trainspotter

A daily 175 mile commute

By Justin Rocket Silverman, amNewYork Staff Writer

December 17, 2007

[float=right]34300214.jpg[/float]Some people meet their friends at the bar after work, but for Extreme Commuter Sean Granahan, his evening socializing is done on the three hour bus ride home.

"The bus becomes your home away from home," said Granahan, who commutes 175 miles each way between his house in Montrose, Pa. and a health clinic for homeless children and mothers in Long Island City.

His involvement with the Floating Hospital, the city's oldest not-for-profit pediatric clinic, began as pro bono legal work. Now he runs the center, and spends eight to nine hours getting there and back four days a week.

From Montrose he drives to Scranton, Pa., where he gets on a bus to Port Authority. Then it's a 7 Train ride to Queensboro Plaza and a walk to the clinic. "If the farmers around Montrose are taking their cows across the highway, I have to drive very slow, and usually don't get home until almost 10 p.m." Granahan said.

He has also learned how to best navigate the turn around for his return to work.

"I have to be out the door at 3:30 the next morning, so I just hang my clothes along the banister and get dressed as I walk down the stairs," Granahan said. Granahan believes the important work of bringing doctors, dentists and even mental health services to the poorest New Yorkers makes the countless commuting hours worthwhile. And chatting with fellow bus passengers is a great way to scout for future employees, he said.

"For months Sean had been talking about his hospital and all the good it does for the community," said Judy Popso, a fellow bus commuter. "One day on the bus he told me they were looking for a clinic director and I thought, wow, when can I start? ... I was hired two days later."

He should invest in home closer to the clinic. :D

He probably bought a giant house out there [PA] for dirt cheap and its too good of a deal to let go. He seems comfortable with the ride, so good for him. That is an insane commute and I would never even attempt to go through that.

FRANK MARTZ Bus Lines is the company that does those trips from that area, to the Port Authoritahhh (as Cartman says). I've drove out to that area on charters, and wouldn't want to drive that daily. Don't know how some of these folks do it. I rather invest in a Condo close to home, than a house far away. When you live that far away, and spend as much time commuting to and fro work as you do at work, that leaves one tired, and with a lack of time for other things (like good sleep). When the snow season hits, better have your sick days saved for that.

FRANK MARTZ Bus Lines is the company that does those trips from that area, to the Port Authoritahhh (as Cartman says). I've drove out to that area on charters, and wouldn't want to drive that daily. Don't know how some of these folks do it. I rather invest in a Condo close to home, than a house far away. When you live that far away, and spend as much time commuting to and fro work as you do at work, that leaves one tired, and with a lack of time for other things (like good sleep). When the snow season hits, better have your sick days saved for that.

I'm thinking for a commute like that he probably gets a lot of days off. He only works 4 days a week, who knows maybe sometimes less than that. There has to be catch to this hell of a commute.

I even looked into Martz bus lines but don't fit my schedule. If I went AM's it could work but you have to make it on the Bus they are packed into the city. Sometimes you got wait for the next one thats why you must be at the Martz bus stop at 4 or 5 AM. So for me driving will always be the best option. As long as I avoid traving with the Rush Hour I can be at almost any location in a 2 Hour window.

I even looked into Martz bus lines but don't fit my schedule. If I went AM's it could work but you have to make it on the Bus they are packed into the city. Sometimes you got wait for the next one thats why you must be at the Martz bus stop at 4 or 5 AM. So for me driving will always be the best option. As long as I avoid traving with the Rush Hour I can be at almost any location in a 2 Hour window.

If I were a N.J. State Trooper I would be waiting for you, lol.

Doing 75 to 80mph, like all the others who drive from out there do (or would you rather take the 5th for this question)? If the coach I had could go 75mph, it would go 75. If they could go 80mph, I would go 75mph (80mph is not a good feeling in a coach bus).

He probably bought a giant house out there [PA] for dirt cheap and its too good of a deal to let go. He seems comfortable with the ride, so good for him. That is an insane commute and I would never even attempt to go through that.

Just like what my cousin did in Pennsylvania he purchased a very nice house and property for a really good price. He travels back and forth as he pleases. He works in NJ not too far away.

Archived