A Bx12 Incident

Fresh Pond

Ok I was on my way home on the Bx12 SBS going towards Inwood around 5 and it seemed like an average evening. But when we got to White Plains Rd we pulled up alongside a local Bx12 (#5460) I saw that there was smoke commin out the back of the bus and everybody getting off the bus. So I got off at White Plains to check it out. I get to the back and steam was comming out the back like crazy. The fire dept and eventually the dispatcher came and it was determined that the radiator blew. There was coolant everywhere. Here are the pics I was able to get...

5430.jpg

5430a.jpg

5430b.jpg

5430c.jpg

5430d.jpg

5430e.jpg

5430f.jpg

That's scary, nice pics btw.

I remember something similar happened to a CS O5 on Archer Avenue (by Jamaica Center), a bunch of steam/smoke was coming out the back with liquid dripping onto the street. It must have been under control because the bus was still being driven with one of those MTA Bus trucks following it. It was going towards JAM (maybe it needed to be checked out before going back to CS).

It's good that no one was hurt, though I'm sure this sort of thing happens often.

Especially with those things during the summer. Engines are too small for 66,400lbs (GVWR) of bus, and two heavy A/C's. MTA needs to replace the engines on those things with stronger new ones. The bus bodies do seem to be up to par, so need need to replace the entire thing. I guess it depends on what is cheaper though, even though Gun Hill is a major overhaul shop. So they can do engines and transmissions in there........

It may not have too much to do with engine size.It can also be insufficient amount of coolant or anti-freeze,Worn parts or ruptured resevoir or water pump.

No, it's the engine, which leads to all the troubles overtime. I have been towed enough, and have had service trucks meet me enough, when I drove those articulated. The stuff about the weight of those buses, and those small engines that were only suppose to be for those Orion V buses, not a 66,400lbs bus, came from more than enough mechanics mouths. Those buses are too heavy for those engines and 2 massive A/C's in them. Winter they are good, as the A/C isn't running. It's the summer where they start, and when the 40fters show up alot on 60ft lines...........

Archived