Photography in the TTC

Y2Julio

I might be going up to Toronto next month for a quick visit and wanted to go shoot a bit of the TTC while I'm up there. I tried looking on their website but I couldn't find any information regarding the TTC's stance on photography. Is photography permitted?

I might be going up to Toronto next month for a quick visit and wanted to go shoot a bit of the TTC while I'm up there. I tried looking on their website but I couldn't find any information regarding the TTC's stance on photography. Is photography permitted?

last time i was up there, i was taking railfan vid, and on of the T/O's yelled at me. then i looked at the rules of conduct posted in the cars and indeed, you need explicit permission to take photos and film on the TTC.

the bylaws themselves are kind of unclear at first glance in my opinion:

3.17 No person shall operate any camera, video recording device, movie camera or any similar device for commercial purposes upon the transit system without authorization.

3.18 Nothing in this by-law prohibits the posting of signs, official notices and information or the use of any camera, video recording device, movie camera or any similar device on TTC Property by the TTC or anyone authorized by the TTC.

but to be honest, it's pretty easy to get away with, just be discreet.

That is correct, there is NO rule to enforce non-commercial photography within any TTC property. I recommend you keep section 3.17 of the by-law handy and cite it if needed:

3.17 No person shall operate any camera, video recording device, movie camera or any similar device for commercial purposes upon the transit system without authorization.

Some other advice:

-If an employee approaches you and tries to tell you to stop, tell them what you're doing and cite the above by-law

-Do NOT obey any claims by them to delete your photos, take your equipment, etc.

-Ask for badge numbers from employees that harass you.

-If you are involved in a confrontation, stand your ground, look at the speaker and do not stomp, cry, shake, etc. as this makes you look weak. You are only trying to explain what you are doing.

-If an employee threatens to call special constables on you, just tell them to go right ahead and do so. The most you'll get out of it is a brief talk with the constables, approval from them as to the activity you are doing (photography) a handshake and a smile.

-And the golden rule which I'm sure you know...do not use flash.

Hole this helps. Where everyone else got the impression that it was illegal is beyond me!

Photography is 100% LEGAL for non-commercial. If a constable approaches you just say your a transit enthusiast and 99.9% of the time they'll say it's ok. Although there are some bad apples in the system, you'll be fine.

must of ran into one of them my last trip then

but i was taking a pic of the cab when he stopped me, so it's not completely rediculous.

Archived