Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My replies in bold...might as well give a crack at it lol

In reference to the city, let's just say that you know you're from there if any of the following apply to you:

You say "the city" and expect everyone to know that this means Manhattan.

in a nutshell, yes

You have never been to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building.

I pass the ESB every day going to work but would never go upstairs...too pricey

You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Columbus Circle to Battery Park at 3:30 on the Friday before a long weekend, but can't find Wisconsin on a map.

I would never argue for that long...besides, WTF is a Wisconsin :P

Hookers and the homeless are invisible.

I'm ashamed to say it but there's hookers in my neighborhood smh

The subway makes sense.

only to railfans lmao

You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multi-lingual.

if I can say 5 words in another language, I'm multi-lingual lol

You've considered stabbing someone just for saying "The Big Apple".

of course...last time I checked, I don't live in an apple

The most frequently used part of your car is the horn.

what car?

You call an 8' x 10' plot of patchy grass a yard.

sounds like my yard...minus the grass lol

You consider Westchester "upstate".

I consider anything past the Bronx upstate

You think Central Park is "nature."

I call it chick city lmao

You see nothing odd about the speed of an auctioneer's speaking.

nope

You're paying $1,200 for a studio the size of a walk-in closet and you think it's a "steal."

where they do that at lol

You've been to New Jersey twice and got hopelessly lost both times.

I only go to NJ for Six Flags

You pay more each month to park your car than most people in the U.S. pay in rent.

like I said, what car

You haven't seen more than twelve stars in the night sky since you went away to camp as a kid.

does helicopters count lmao

You go to dinner at 9 and head out to the clubs when most Americans are heading to bed.

I eat dinner at 3 am, and eat breakfast at 3 pm

Your closet is filled with black clothes.

mostly true

You haven't heard the sound of true absolute silence since the 80s, and when you did, it terrified you.

in the 80s, I was still swimming around lmfao

You pay $5 without blinking for a beer that cost the bar 28 cents.

not much of a drinker

You take fashion seriously.

not really

Being truly alone makes you nervous.

not at all

You have 27 different menus next to your telephone.

nope...all stored in my phone

Going to Brooklyn is considered a "road trip."

no since I live there

America west of the Hudson is still theoretical to you.

mostly true

You've gotten jaywalking down to an art form.

of course...all NYers are born with it

You take a taxi to get to your health club to exercise.

I take a taxi nowhere

Your idea of personal space is no one actually standing on your toes.

my idea of personal space is a foot away

$50 worth of groceries fit in one paper bag.

at Gristedes it does lol (making jokes about my job FTW)

You have a minimum of five "worst cab ride ever" stories.

I have 2

You don't notice sirens anymore.

not at all

You live in a building with a larger population than most American towns.

only in the projects you'll find that lol

Your doorman is Russian, your grocer is Korean your deli man is Israeli, your building super is Italian, your laundry guy is Chinese, your favorite bartender is Irish, your favorite diner owner is Greek, the watchseller on your corner is Senegalese, your last cabbie was Pakistani, your newsstand guy is Indian and your favorite falafel guy is Egyptian.

not in Bushwick lol

You're suspicious of strangers who are actually nice to you.

I'm suspicious of everyone I don't know

You secretly envy cabbies for their driving skills.

please, I drive better than most of them

You think $7.00 to cross a bridge is a fair price.

don't pay tolls so I don't care

Your door has more than three locks.

my 3 doors all have 1 lock on it, my bedroom door has 2

Your favorite movie has DeNiro in it.

no

You consider eye contact an act of overt aggression.

not really

You run when you see a flashing "Do Not Walk" sign at the intersection.

in my eyes, all the signs say walk

You're 35 years old and don't have a driver's license.

I'm not even 21 yet, but at least I have my license

You ride in a subway car with no air conditioning just because there are seats available.

hell no

You're willing to take in strange people as roommates simply to help pay the rent.

hell no

There is no North and South. It's uptown or downtown.

only in Manhattan

When you're away from home, you miss "real" pizza and "real" bagels.

not at all

You know the differences between all the different Ray's Pizzas.

there's a place called Not Ray's Pizza that I always go to lol

You're not in the least bit interested in going to Times Square on New Year's Eve.

I have no reason to go there now

Your internal clock is permanently set to know when Alternate Side of the Street parking regulations are in effect.

once again, no car

You know what a bodega is.

I call it a corner store lol

You know how to fold the New York Times in half, vertically, so that you can read it on the subway or bus without knocking off other passenger's hats.

still working on it

Someone bumps into you, and you check for your wallet...

someone bumps me, I bump back...with my fist lol

You cringe at hearing people pronounce Houston St. like the city in Texas.

nope

Film crews on your block annoy you, not excite you.

of course they annoy me...its not like I'm gonna meet a famous person

I thought if I appeased him and acted obsequious then I would earn his respect. I spent the past 6 months prostituting myself. Weinberg will never change. He will always be pure evil.

[Flavor Flav']Woooooooooooooooooow[/Flavor Flav']

whathef**kisthisgayshit, forestglenakalexexpressakapathman!!!!!

Am I the only one to realize that almost every bus thread on the other side of the board somehow has an express bus in it and it turns into this big ass debate about it?

[Flavor Flav']Woooooooooooooooooow[/Flavor Flav']

whathef**kisthisgayshit, forestglenakalexexpressakapathman!!!!!

That's a goddam shame

On Sunday April 10th, I was late home at Apple Store Computer, so after I call home at 8pm, without realizing I left my clipboard with (MTA) Long Island Bus Public Hearing Poster, I walk with friend Amy, then I took RIT for shuttle bus to subway for Q102 perfect timing.

When I got on <7> express, I realize I left my clipboard.

On Thursday, April 14th, since it was sunny, so I caught <7> perfect timing at Junction Blvd to Queensboro Plaza to miss Q60, but Q32 came and took to 2nd Av for perfect timing with M15+SBS+. Lots of people were still confuse, then before 34th St, two students in wheelchairs with their assistant took off the seatbelt thing, and at 34th St, we moved aside for wheelchairs to get off, and I put seat back to normal state.

At Catherine St Station, I rushed to Family Noodle Restraunt to ask my friend if I left something, but no.

I retrace my footstep to Doyer, then some kind of Japanese store, then Chinese Market, then Florence Ice Cream Parlor.

It was not there either, so I took M15+SBS+, with one Chinese confuse, so I got off quickly and helped him, then took to 58th St Station, and walk to RIT Station, enter station and asked if I left but no, so I didn't see Q32 bus, so I walk to Apple Store, and I was lucky and I found my clipboard!!

I do rage when I see photos of the original (and first) Penn Station in Manhattan. To think that the tracks leading to it from Queens were on an open cut once upon a time. And what it must have been like to be in such a grand structure once you climbed up the stairs. It's depressing once your train goes into the East River Tunnels and you pull into Penn Station. The platforms and tracks may have been spared (and upgraded, but still left in their original positions) but once you go up those stairs, you're in a basement. A very well-lit basement with lots of retail space, but still a giant basement that smells of burnt motors and rail dust. Well, LI will get even when ESA is finished and we get to roll right into Grand Central right by a "better-run" Metro-North.

Goddamn Robert Moses for ruining Long Island and turning it into typical suburbia. No wonder all the PBLs on LI went bust. Low overpasses, sharp curves? Parkways going right behind peoples' backyards? How could public transit to any attraction on the island be successful if his car-centric planning ruined all of that? He never even drove!

All I can credit Moses for positively is the building of Shea Stadium (even though the Mets suck) and moving the UN to NYC. Philly might have significance in American minds, but what about globally?

:spits: Are you kidding me? That POS building is a nightmare to the city every time they have their goddamn assemblies. NYC would've been better off with that POS 'organization' moved to some other city or country.

The nerve of some of those 'diplomat' POS taking advantage of the city in its amenities and parking spaces. How dare they get to park whereever they feel like just because they came elsewhere. The hell with the UN and the leeches they are [sucks up ~22% of its funding from the US].

Also what's up with the f'ed up 1 nation=1 vote thing? You got tiny little African/Mid east nations [that combined have the representation of some of our states] and they get to have the same voting power as the US? Hell no! It should be based on who pays the most to fund that POS organization.

end of rant.

Man, people are getting more and more uptight where I'm at, So far it's women.

I pass by their homes while walking my dog and they [3 so far to this date] yell at me that I don't have a bag or whatever to pick up the poop. [ftr, I always have a few bags on me. So it isn't my problem.] I get they don't want ppl to leave it in front of their yards, but one of these days they will yell at the wrong person and end up hurt. [i'll leave it at that.]

I seriously would've just punched this one person right there the way she was yelling at me from her car as she was pulling in. She still bitched on about it even after I showed her the bags.

My solution is for them to install cameras outside their homes and send it to the NYPD if they are so uptight about it. Goddam those ppl yelling first and thinking 2nd. Those are the kind of people I hope harm comes to them. Myob [if nothing happened] and let things be.