Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lance25
And another reason why I hate Grand Central. Old Penn Station and GC were around the same age when the PRR was failing, so how the hell did Grand Central get preserved while old Penn Station fell?

Grand Central was spared because after old Pennsylvania was demolished (which, at the time, no one thought would actually happen), there was a massive push for preserving the old architecture of the city, predominately from Jackie Kennedy Onassis.

I'm glad they kept GCT because I can't stand new Penn Station. I'm not a particularly tall person, but I always feel claustrophobic every time I enter that station, which thankfully isn't too often.

I'd rather see Grand Central get demolished and the old Penn come back. That photograph of one of the eagles rotting in NJ makes me want to choke people. And somehow that dump - I mean, NJ got to keep its Penn Station in Newark, which pretty much got hit hard after WWII... but somehow got to keep such an ornate structure. Only now do we really appreciate the old station for what it was...

I'd rather see Grand Central get demolished and the old Penn come back. That photograph of one of the eagles rotting in NJ makes me want to choke people. And somehow that dump - I mean, NJ got to keep its Penn Station in Newark, which pretty much got hit hard after WWII... but somehow got to keep such an ornate structure. Only now do we really appreciate the old station for what it was...

Would it have been nice to have the Old Penn Station - yes. But Grand Central is a wonderful building, why would you want that demolished instead? I do not feel it should be one over the other. Both should've been kept in an ideal world.

As for why Penn station was demolished, it was because the owner of the site needed money and sold the air rights to MSG. Back then there was no landmarks preservation act so historical buildings were up for sale to the highest bidder. It was keep the building and go bankrupt or sell it and get some short term capital to keep afloat. *IIRC.

For Newark, there's other land spaces there and no need to build over the station. that's the difference b/w the West Side of Manhattan and Newark.

Something a friend of mine sent me on BBM...

Four friends, who hadn't seen each other in 30 years, reunited at a Party. After several drinks, one of the men had to use the rest room. Those who remained talked about their kids. The first guy said, 'My son is my pride and joy. He started working at a successful company at the bottom of the barrel. He studied Economics and business Administration and soon began to climb the corporate ladder and now he's the president of the company. He became so rich that he gave his best friend a top of the line Mercedes for his birthday.' The second guy said, 'Darn, that's terrific! My son is also my pride and joy. He started working for a big airline, and then went to flight school to become a pilot. Eventually he became a partner in the company, where he owns the majority of its assets. He's so rich that he gave his best friend a brand new jet for his birthday.' The third man said: 'Well, that's terrific! My son studied in the best Universities and became an engineer. Then he started his own construction company and is now a multimillionaire. He also gave away something very nice and expensive to his best friend for his birthday: A 30,000 square foot mansion.' The three friends congratulated each other just as the fourth returned from the restroom and asked: 'What are all the congratulations for?' One of the three said: 'We were talking about the pride we feel for the successes of our sons. ...What about your son?' The fourth man replied: 'My son is gay and makes a living dancing as a stripper at a nightclub.' The three friends said: 'What a shame...what a disappointment.' The fourth man replied: 'No, I ' m not ashamed. He's my son and I love him. And he hasn't done too badly either. His birthday was two weeks ago, and he received a beautiful 30,000 square foot mansion, a brand new jet and a mercedes from his 3 boyfriends. They fainted.

Something a friend of mine sent me on BBM...

Four friends, who hadn't seen each other in 30 years, reunited at a Party. After several drinks, one of the men had to use the rest room. Those who remained talked about their kids. The first guy said, 'My son is my pride and joy. He started working at a successful company at the bottom of the barrel. He studied Economics and business Administration and soon began to climb the corporate ladder and now he's the president of the company. He became so rich that he gave his best friend a top of the line Mercedes for his birthday.' The second guy said, 'Darn, that's terrific! My son is also my pride and joy. He started working for a big airline, and then went to flight school to become a pilot. Eventually he became a partner in the company, where he owns the majority of its assets. He's so rich that he gave his best friend a brand new jet for his birthday.' The third man said: 'Well, that's terrific! My son studied in the best Universities and became an engineer. Then he started his own construction company and is now a multimillionaire. He also gave away something very nice and expensive to his best friend for his birthday: A 30,000 square foot mansion.' The three friends congratulated each other just as the fourth returned from the restroom and asked: 'What are all the congratulations for?' One of the three said: 'We were talking about the pride we feel for the successes of our sons. ...What about your son?' The fourth man replied: 'My son is gay and makes a living dancing as a stripper at a nightclub.' The three friends said: 'What a shame...what a disappointment.' The fourth man replied: 'No, I ' m not ashamed. He's my son and I love him. And he hasn't done too badly either. His birthday was two weeks ago, and he received a beautiful 30,000 square foot mansion, a brand new jet and a mercedes from his 3 boyfriends. They fainted.

The 4th man's face after they fainted

troll_face_says_the_game__by_james_mizuhara-d36zguw-300x225.png

First time visiting Queens Center Mall today. Picked up a few goods. Almost every girl I saw were really good-looking. To hell with Kings Plaza, next time its QCM. :cool:

Lol that place is way better than KP, my friend loves the Japanese food in the food court.

First time visiting Queens Center Mall today. Picked up a few goods. Almost every girl I saw were really good-looking. To hell with Kings Plaza, next time its QCM. :cool:

Kings plaza is more like an outlet mall inside a building. You aren't missing much if you go elsewhere. Manhattan Mall would probably be in the same category too since they gutted the basement [food court] for JCPenny.

To hell with malls, that's why I have the Internet.

Thank you all mallgoers for subsidizing products. Because of you guys, I can get my stuff online much cheaper :P

(example: a 1TB hard drive for $55)

Most of the time I do shop online for the same reason. Thou when it comes to clothes I'd rather do it the ol' fashion way to see if it's the right fit. I don't want to wait a fortnight to get a pair of sneakers that might not even be the right size when I can go to a shopping center, see if it's the right size, and wear it out the following day.