Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rented Cars from Netflix and watched it on a couple of times over the weekend. Honestly, I don't understand why anyone would dislike it or find it weak. Cars is FANTASTIC! It had a great mesh of character development, story, action, and heart. There were some very witty lines that had me dying of laughing along with a couple of scenes that teared me up a bit. One of the best Pixar movies I've ever watched with only Wall-E and Up eclipsing it.

Now, because I watched Cars, I decided to see the second one this morning. After seeing some very mediocre reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, I became a bit worried, so I was a bit skeptical. Well, honestly, I loved Cars 2. It was very good. Full of action, some racin', and a great focus of Tow Mater (voiced by Larry the Cable Guy). Honestly, I don't understand why many people find him annoying. In Cars, he was the little helper who helped warm up Lightning McQueen's greedy, impulsive heart. In Cars 2, he appeared to be the same hilarious, absentminded, lovable tow truck. He was the main character, whereas Lightning was the star in its predecessor. But having the comic relief character doesn't mean the movie's bad. He was still so great, and I loved how I got to see sadness, anger, and doubt into him, even though there wasn't AS much. It gives Mater more depth. As for the plot, it's quite complex for a Pixar film (it's actually a spy spoof), but it was excellently done. Finn McMissle (an Aston Martin voiced by Michael Caine) was very convincing, and Holley Shiftwell was a great female protagonist. She grew on me, too, especially for appreciating Mater for who he is. While it isn't as great as Cars, this is one families and kids should love.

Now bring on Brave, Pixar! :)

That's why I don't give a damn what the critics think. They are just elitist snobs that bash anything that isn't 'sophisticated'.

I saw Transformers 3 on Friday and while I had my issues with how the decepticons were used [especially the endless army that are unnamed or seen briefly], the overall action and movie was pretty good. Well can't go wrong since the 2nd one was just a mess plot wise. Damn, did they do a number on Chicago...

Basically the movie was an 'adaptation' of the Countdown to Doom episode arc from the original cartoon show. There was also one scene in DC that was very much like the 'Atlantis Arise' episode [nice kudos there].

If they make a 4th movie, I do hope they reboot the series and try to revert back more to the 80s style instead of the radically 'alien' type robot forms they have now. As well as having all the robots speaking english and not some garbled alien stuff. Starscream looked much better as an F15 than an F22.

Guest lance25

@RTS...: If it's a Pixar flick, it's most likely gonna be a good one. In the 15+ years of its existence, when have you heard of a bad Pixar movie?

@RTS...: If it's a Pixar flick, it's most likely gonna be a good one. In the 15+ years of its existence, when have you heard of a bad Pixar movie?
Critically, Cars 2 is the only one most consider mediocre. But I don't see a mediocre movie. Instead, I see a great one. It's not the level of Cars (if you ask me, Cars is an underrated classic that gets better and better after every watch), but it's still great enough to keep me entertained. Great lines, lots of laughs, and a good understanding of its audience: a mix of kids and adolescents. That said, if you dislike Mater, you're not going to like this movie. I do, and I don't understand why he's so hated.

I haven't watched all of Pixar's movies, but there is only one I despise: the first Toy Story. The characterization of Woody and approach to his development felt SO off throughout most of the flick that I can't enjoy it. I hated it as a kid, and I still hate it today.

My list is this:

1. Up

2. Wall-E

3. Cars

4. Toy Story 3

5. Toy Story 2

6. Cars 2

7. A Bug's Life

8. Toy Story

My dog got scared being so close to the fireworks near my uncle's house, we had to bring her home.

I was walking back with my sister to my uncle's house after my parents brought the dog home, and everyone was all over peoples' lawns, but being that there was nothing at Jones Beach, everyone decided to head up to the towns for their fireworks. VS has held it at Firemen's Field for decades, and people don't mind having others on their lawns. I kept walking up the sidewalk trying to avoid crowds, but a piece of sidewalk from some assbite's house to the utility pole was blocked, so I cut across his lawn. Said (drunk) assbite whose lawn I just took a few steps across yells at me, "Hey, private property!" I yelled back, "Come and ****ing stop me, then" and he backed off. He sounded piss drunk and had an almost completely full can of beer (Heineken?) and I just did my "Haters gonna hate" stride across his lawn. Seriously, everyone else around that part of VS has people crawling all over others' lawns and one ass has to ruin it for me. To the drunk assbite: Come at me, bro.

My list is this:

1. Up

2. Wall-E

3. Cars

4. Toy Story 3

5. Toy Story 2

6. Cars 2

7. A Bug's Life

8. Toy Story

You missed a few; ratatouille, the incredibles, Fining nemo and Monsters inc. you forgot. or did you not see them? BTW, Pixar is making a sequel to Monsters inc, it's called Monsters University. I don't know if it will match up to the original without Pete Docter, but I digress

Anyway, here's my list (I am not including Cars 2 because I have not seen it yet):

1: Cars (I love cars, and thus I love Cars. The touching story and lovable characters don't hurt, either)

2:Wall-E (A robotic romantic comedy with subliminal messages about the environment and obesity. What's not to like, even if it borrows from other movies (cough cough short circuit cough) ?)

3: Finding Nemo: (I loved this when I was younger, and I still do. These life messages are not so subliminal, and the comedy keeps the story rolling. I love andrew stanton!)

4:Toy Story 3 (Memorable story and classic toys meeting many new. A must-see. I just have one question: what took you so long, Pixar?)

5:Toy Story 2 (10 times better than the original. Pixar started to mature as a company around this point, and TS2 shows it.)

6: Up (I sense a pattern of touching stories with pixar movies, and Up is no different. The creativity here is genious. The movie is a little stale in the beginning, though...)

7: Monsters Inc. (The only reason Monsters Inc. is #7 is because everything else is better. Monsters Inc is legendary, and it's no wonder that Pixar is making a sequel. Again, what took you so long?)

8: Ratatouille (The story doesn't flow well, although it has charm. Brad Bird could do better, but it's good as is, for the most part.)

9:Toy Story (Don't get me wrong, I love this movie. But Pixar could do a lot better animation- and story-wise. Pixar was still starting out, and this movie reflects that. I would have liked to see more, though.)

10: The Incredibles (See first sentance of #9. However, The Incredibles was over-hyped, and the story is a typical superhero-fare plot. While Toy Story and A Bug's Life have the exuse of being the first Pixar productions, this has no alibi.)

11: A Bug's Life (This is the only Pixar movie I don't like. I don't dislike it, it just never really got me into the story. It also seemed kind of rushed to me. It's still very good, though, just not good enough for Pixar's standards)

I have a feeling no one knew about Mario Andretti before Cars. Or that Michael Schumacher, a German who drove for Ferrari, voiced that Ferrari towards the end.

I knew about Mario Andretti, and millions of people did for decades. Mario Andretti is the Babe Ruth or Michael Jordan of Indycar. He won 4 championchips, an Indy 500, and a Daytona 500 (in nascar). So, yeah he was popular.

Michael Schumacher voicing the Ferrari (who's actual name is Michael S. Ferrari :P), however, you may have a valid point for. Because the charachter is not named until the "Cars Finder" on the blu-ray disc, and most people don't sit to watch the credits, that fact may be known to only a select few.

Hell, I'm tired of American car culture. It's so awful.

What's so awful about it?

You missed a few; ratatouille, the incredibles, Fining nemo and Monsters inc. you forgot. or did you not see them? BTW, Pixar is making a sequel to Monsters inc, it's called Monsters University. I don't know if it will match up to the original without Pete Docter, but I digress

Anyway, here's my list (I am not including Cars 2 because I have not seen it yet):

1: Cars (I love cars, and thus I love Cars. The touching story and lovable characters don't hurt, either)

2:Wall-E (A robotic romantic comedy with subliminal messages about the environment and obesity. What's not to like, even if it borrows from other movies (cough cough short circuit cough) ?)

3: Finding Nemo: (I loved this when I was younger, and I still do. These life messages are not so subliminal, and the comedy keeps the story rolling. I love andrew stanton!)

4:Toy Story 3 (Memorable story and classic toys meeting many new. A must-see. I just have one question: what took you so long, Pixar?)

5:Toy Story 2 (10 times better than the original. Pixar started to mature as a company around this point, and TS2 shows it.)

6: Up (I sense a pattern of touching stories with pixar movies, and Up is no different. The creativity here is genious. The movie is a little stale in the beginning, though...)

7: Monsters Inc. (The only reason Monsters Inc. is #7 is because everything else is better. Monsters Inc is legendary, and it's no wonder that Pixar is making a sequel. Again, what took you so long?)

8: Ratatouille (The story doesn't flow well, although it has charm. Brad Bird could do better, but it's good as is, for the most part.)

9:Toy Story (Don't get me wrong, I love this movie. But Pixar could do a lot better animation- and story-wise. Pixar was still starting out, and this movie reflects that. I would have liked to see more, though.)

10: The Incredibles (See first sentance of #9. However, The Incredibles was over-hyped, and the story is a typical superhero-fare plot. While Toy Story and A Bug's Life have the exuse of being the first Pixar productions, this has no alibi.)

11: A Bug's Life (This is the only Pixar movie I don't like. I don't dislike it, it just never really got me into the story. It also seemed kind of rushed to me. It's still very good, though, just not good enough for Pixar's standards)

How much can you expect frfom the animation out of the first "Toy Story" the movie started development back in 1991!! This movie when released in 1995 was way ahead of its time and totally killed hand drawn animated movies.watch toy story 2 and 3 and you can see over time the animation improved.Bigger budget+advanced computer technology=better quality pixar.

That's why I don't give a damn what the critics think. They are just elitist snobs that bash anything that isn't 'sophisticated'.
Hahaha, I have some films in my possession that critics believe it's "bad". :o

Didn't see Monsters Inc, TS3 or Up yet, so can't comment on those.
I saw Toy Story 3 various times (DVD and through Starz HD), and I can tell you that it's a lot better than TS and TS2 in terms of the plot (though I still like TS/2). Check it out one day, you won't regret it.

One tip: if you don't mind ads, logos, marginalized credits, and voiceovers on Starz (yes, this is not a lie), you can watch it there, including "Up". Otherwise, DVD or online searching are your alternatives. ;)

Did you know that Mr. Joseph Bonanno once was a Tucson, Arizona resident?

He died of heart failure, at 97, on 11 May 2002.

Who is that, if you don't mind me asking?

How much can you expect frfom the animation out of the first "Toy Story" the movie started development back in 1991!! This movie when released in 1995 was way ahead of its time and totally killed hand drawn animated movies.watch toy story 2 and 3 and you can see over time the animation improved.Bigger budget+advanced computer technology=better quality pixar.

I said that TS reflected early computer animation, it is just that A Bugs Life, which started development only three years later in '94, has much better graphics and detail. And hand drawn animated movies are not dead, look at Ponyo (Studio Ghibli) and the Princess and the Frog (Disney), as well as hand drawn television shows like the Simpsons, South Park, and Spongebob Squarepants, that are well into their lifespans and are well-established. If anything is dead, it's claymation. When's the last time you saw a claymation or stop-motion film?

I agree, the notion that movies have to be computer created to be good is totally false. It was the 2d animated movies that had bland stories and that's what drove people away from them. I think the recent movie: Frog Princess did pretty well because it had a good story [not that i watched, but read of].

Disney would be in deep crap now if not for Pixar's team for their more creative story lines that makes movies good. Before the merger, Disney had some crap CGI movies like the wild or such. So it's the stories not the animation that makes a movie good.

As for Transformers, well that depends on the individuals. I liked the 1st and 3rd movies for the action. Story wise, meh, didn't care for the human characters. If they do a reboot, I hope the characters look less alien and actually are understandable [Decepticons speaking english and not a whole nameless army of them against a small band of autobots].