Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fun commute home. Nearly missed the first bus because it ran 10 minutes late and I opted to walk. Got to the bus stop up the road just in time. Arrive at the station and find trains were 20 minutes late due to a tresspasser up the line. So I opted for the bus. Good idea if it wern't for the traffic.

finally got a new phone...turned out to be more complicated than I thought. Took me 10 minutes just to figure out how to turn the bluetooth off smh

Police? What's police? :P

On another note, since the Arnines are running on Saturdays this year, looks like a certain someone (who will remain nameless) will miss out on all the goods. Must suck to be him B)

I see what you did there B)...

You know you're from LI when:

Billy Joel said it best, “Either you date a rich girl from the North Shore, or a cool girl from the South Shore."

What’s the big deal about the Hamptons?

You don’t go to Manhattan, you go to “the City"

You never, ever want to “change at Jamaica..."

You can name at least three bands that came from Long Island.

At some point in your life you or someone you know has owned an animal that came from North Shore Animal League.

You walk around the mall aimlessly.

When you’re away from Long Island, you love it and when you’re there, you don’t.

You know that the beach is the most magical place in the world at night.

You know the exact point at which Queens turns into Nassau simply on intuition.

Your distant future might involve the state of Florida

You love that salty smell of the ocean.

No, you don’t want mustard on that burger!

You know White Castle is terrible for you and the food sucks. But, you periodically “Get the Crave".

You can order a pizza pie and a soda and people will understand.

You know that parts of The Godfather were filmed on LI.

You think Islip MacArthur airport is cute and you enjoy watching it grow up.

You can correctly pronounce places like Happaugue, Commack, Islip, Islandia, Nissequogue, Wantagh, and Massapequa.

You know the location of 6 malls, a dozen McDonalds, and 36 7-11’s.

You grew up thinking Chinese food was a basic food group.

You’re used to driving down the street in December and seeing more light-up menorahs than you can shake a latka at. In fact, even your non-Jewish friends know what Matzoh is. And you’ve never driven more than 10 miles without seeing a temple.

There's a girl I've known for a long time who's birthday it is today.

I finally worked up the coruage to tell here I had a crush on her.

I don't care what she says back, I just felt a weight off my chest.

Her and my dad share the same birthday (Nov. 23rd).

Since we can't continue this discussion in the thread about the fight over a seat, I'll continue it here (it's still a random thought, so by definition it can't be off-topic. :) )

1) How would you know how many riders come from Port Richmond, when you yourself said that you haven't used the express bus in a long time???

2) As for Targee Street, where in my post did I say anything about the area south of the SIE being Park Hill??? I said the X10 passes near Park Hill.

3) Port Richmond, particularly the area North of Forest Avenue is a dump. Hell even the black politician Debbie Rose acknowledges the high crime rates in Port Richmond and parts of Arlington/Mariners' Harbor and she is one of the biggest fraud politicians on Staten Island after Molinaro that I know of.

I wouldn't pay my worst enemy to walk through that dump and I live in West Brighton which is a world's difference from Port Richmond. Once you go past Jewett Avenue there on Forest, you see more trees and the neighborhood is like a 360.

4) Aside from that you also mentioned how you fell or something running for the bus along Richmond Avenue and how those X17 riders asked if you were okay, and how you could understand why I prefer the express bus. If that scenario re-played itself I'm sure the same thing would've happened because the average express bus rider is like that. :cool: :tup:

We're just hard working professionals who want a quiet commute into work and home

1) Because my school is in Port Richmond and I'm around Port Richmond Avenue relatively often (not to mention I go to ShopRite even more often), so I get to see how many riders are on the bus at that point.

And I don't cut class to go to ShopRite. :P My school is over by the MLK Expressway, so I'm in Port Richmond every weekday, just not on Port Richmond Avenue.

2) I'm just saying that if you did that, you'd be taking away an express bus from the "affluent people" south of the SIE, in addition to whatever few people use it from Park Hill (who aren't as broke as you think they are)

3) Port Richmond doesn't even go south of Forest Avenue.

And she's just "acknowledging" the crime rate there because she feeds off that hype. If she can convince everybody that she's cleaning up crime (when it wasn't that high to begin with), she'll get more votes in the next election.

I'm not saying Port Richmond is as safe as areas in the South Shore. In fact, when taken wholistically, it is one of the more dangerous parts of SI. But when you say "high crime", it's nothing compared to the more dangerous areas of the city (the same thing with Kingsbridge). The only area that could really compare to those high-crime areas (overall) would be Stapleton. Yes, it has some pretty bad sections (like north of Castleton Avenue), but overall it's not a high-crime area.

4) Actually the person who asked about the twisted ankle was an X30 rider. The X17 riders was when I was walking with some bags and slipped on some ice.

And obviously I know why you like express buses so much. Nice, soft, guaranteed seats, no transfers, and less noise. I'd prefer that except that I don't need to go to Manhattan often and when I do, I'm too cheap to pay the extra money. ;)

Since we can't continue this discussion in the thread about the fight over a seat, I'll continue it here (it's still a random thought, so by definition it can't be off-topic. :) )

1) Because my school is in Port Richmond and I'm around Port Richmond Avenue relatively often (not to mention I go to ShopRite even more often), so I get to see how many riders are on the bus at that point.

Well of course there wouldn't be many riders at that time. Hell the buses at that time going to the city aren't crowded in general, so that isn't a good way to analyze ridership at all on the X10.

And I don't cut class to go to ShopRite. :P My school is over by the MLK Expressway, so I'm in Port Richmond every weekday, just not on Port Richmond Avenue.

Very good... LOL To clarify, I don't cut work to go to Shop Rite either. ;)

2) I'm just saying that if you did that, you'd be taking away an express bus from the "affluent people" south of the SIE, in addition to whatever few people use it from Park Hill (who aren't as broke as you think they are)

To be honest there aren't that many riders at those stops. Worst case scenario they could drive over to the X1.

3) Port Richmond doesn't even go south of Forest Avenue.

No it doesn't. However, that sign that says "Welcome to Port Richmond" on Forest by Willowbrook by that Burger King is a clear sign that it is Port Richmond. ;)

And she's just "acknowledging" the crime rate there because she feeds off that hype. If she can convince everybody that she's cleaning up crime (when it wasn't that high to begin with), she'll get more votes in the next election.

I wouldn't say that. She's just being realistic. There are some pockets on the North Shore that do have "high" crime when compared to more affluent parts of the North Shore and South Shore and Staten Island as a whole, which has very little crime.

I'm not saying Port Richmond is as safe as areas in the South Shore. In fact, when taken wholistically, it is one of the more dangerous parts of SI. But when you say "high crime", it's nothing compared to the more dangerous areas of the city (the same thing with Kingsbridge). The only area that could really compare to those high-crime areas (overall) would be Stapleton. Yes, it has some pretty bad sections (like north of Castleton Avenue), but overall it's not a high-crime area.

That's the whole point. It has a high crime rate in comparison to other parts of Staten Island and Staten Island overall.

4) Actually the person who asked about the twisted ankle was an X30 rider. The X17 riders was when I was walking with some bags and slipped on some ice.

And obviously I know why you like express buses so much. Nice, soft, guaranteed seats, no transfers, and less noise. I'd prefer that except that I don't need to go to Manhattan often and when I do, I'm too cheap to pay the extra money. ;)

LOL... Boy you are clumsy huh?? :eek: Well in any event, you had two express bus riders from two different lines try to help you so that says something.... Ahemm Class=most express riders... :cool: :tup: ;)