Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Well I pass by that dump everyday on the X30 in case you forgot, (excluding Saturday and Sunday). Of late I've been using the X14 to avoid going that way. Gets depressing going through there after a while. There are more cracked up sidewalks and abandoned businesses over there (and this along Forest Avenue) than any other part of Forest Avenue including Port Richmond, which is saying something. And you can't tell me that South Avenue near and North of Forest Avenue is la crème de la crème. I can imagine all sorts of disgusting things hiding in all of those weeds. That old Western Beef building has been abandoned for some time now. Probably nothing but rats running around in there now since it's run down and such.

2) Well clearly you and I have very different standards B), but even by Staten Island (middle class) standards, it's a dump, esp. when compared to the non-project, more affluent areas on the island. I mean folks in the affluent parts of West Brighton where I live and Randall Manor (the affluent neighborhood next to me) certainly wouldn't consider Mariner's Harbor the place to be by any means and if they did they then need their heads examined. :eek:

1) Oooo cracked sidewalks. The places is turning into Camden, NJ isn't it?

And the only abandoned businesses are by Richmond Avenue (which is Elm Park, not Mariners' Harbor), and that's because of a fire.

And no, north of Forest Avenue isn't that great, but it's not a hellhole like you're making it out to be.

2) Hold on. You're acting like SI's standards for a run-down area are lower than for the average person (or else you wouldn't have said "but even by Staten Island (middle class) standards"). You and I both know that SI standards for what is actually considered a "bad" area are a lot higher than in the rest of the city.

It's called not paying attention to that right corner of the post, sir. And you used the words Dump and depressing as well as saying that there are alot of abandoned businesses on forest avenue when in fact that is untrue. And on south avenue, those businesses may look abandoned but they aren't.

The thing is that when you get into Arlington, it does get kind of run-down. I usually see a lot of people just hanging out by the corner of South Avenue/Arlington Place, and just south of the tracks in the immediate vicinity of the projects, you do see a few abandoned homes, but I wouldn't say that the "hoodiness" extends down to Forest Avenue.

And yeah, if you take a close look at the homes and businesses along Forest Avenue, you'll see that not a single one is abandoned (other than the few by Richmond Avenue affected by a fire). None of them are boarded up or anything like that.

Mariners Harbor isn't that bad, the usual cracked sidewalks and trees that make some blocks look like Elm Street, but it's not that bad. And there's the X30, X42 and X12 on Forest.

Preaching to the choir. :)

Tell me Guile's theme doesn't go with everything after you watch this.

For the record, if it isn't the CPS2 version, they're doing it wrong.

Obama's car stuck @ US Embassy - Guile theme goes with everything - YouTube

Never thought I'd see someone else from here that knew about the Guile's theme videos.

Ever since my history teacher freshman year told us to work with a Wagner College student to make a report on Port Richmond, I've been interested in demographics. Here's a site that shows demographic data through the years. It even has data from the 1790 census. It's interesting not only how the demographics changed throughout the years, but also how the classifications changer (back in 1790 for instance, they took data on how many slaves were in a given area)

Social Explorer - Demographic Maps

Ever since my history teacher freshman year told us to work with a Wagner College student to make a report on Port Richmond, I've been interested in demographics. Here's a site that shows demographic data through the years. It even has data from the 1790 census. It's interesting not only how the demographics changed throughout the years, but also how the classifications changer (back in 1790 for instance, they took data on how many slaves were in a given area)

Social Explorer - Demographic Maps

I've also started to gain intrest in demographics during my freshman year. That's also what lead me to explore many other neighborhoods south and west of Flatbush. Telling friends that there are Whites in Brooklyn is almost like talking to a rock. Most of them think that Brooklyn is just filled with Blacks and Hispanics - get out of the hood for once! I like the one you posted on City Data.

Edited by Jamaica Line

I'm about to play openBVE. For close to realism as possible, I've actually put on the MTA safety vest that I got from my uncle (track worker). I follow all speed limits and actually do start my run by performing the safety rolling test. Just wait until I get RailDriver. Man I can be such a nerd sometimes. lol

Happy New Year from Australia.

Same to you man. :cool:

I suppose Google hasn't heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," especially with the new YT layouts.

And no, I don't want to update my Flash player. I like being able to pause my videos unlike in whatever crap Adobe is forcing down all of your throats, thank you very much.

--

Alas, poor Billy, destined to walk the sepulchred streets of suburbia. A doomed husk of a child; do not cry for him.

DO NAWT CROY!

I hand't been here since the summer time,I see alot of stuff on this site had change....Shorline bus is a forum staff now??what is this world is coming too!

LMAO.... No comment "young man"...

...wow... About an hour ago I was walking down Fulton Mall, I see a heavy crowd mostly fulled of screaming teenagers, turns out it was Drake. Not gonna front, it was pretty cool to see.

Uh... ¿¿Qué?? :confused: The only "Drake" I know is Drakes the food company that sold snacks years ago. I don't know if they still do since I don't eat that stuff.