Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

The MTA should create an airlines division and name it MTA New York City Airlines...the tail of the plane would have a huge MTA logo on it and the plane would be wrapped with vinyl decals and such. Fares will vary based on distance traveled. Lollllllllllllllllllll

So if I wanted to get from JFK to Jamaica I'd have to pay $30? And then the pilot will somehow divert from the route when there's nothing in the air?

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if I wanted to get from JFK to Jamaica I'd have to pay $30? And then the pilot will somehow divert from the route when there's nothing in the air?

Actually no...the airline company would actually be called MTA Regional Airlines (decided to rework the name) and flights would only operate in the Northeast region of the United States. Only flights to/from JFK or LaGuardia. The MTA would try to have low fares to eliminate competition to kick out all flights out of New York along the upper half of the Eastern Seaboard. But if someone wanted to take a plane from JFK to Jamaica there'd be a flat fee of $25.

MTA Regional Airlines would consist of small planes for domestic service between JFK/Jamaica, operating every half hour. Service to Newark would operate weekdays only, every hour. Service outside of New York and Neward would have mid-capacity planes.

The MTA should create an airlines division and name it MTA New York City Airlines...the tail of the plane would have a huge MTA logo on it and the plane would be wrapped with vinyl decals and such. Fares will vary based on distance traveled. Lollllllllllllllllllll

Actually no...the airline company would actually be called MTA Regional Airlines (decided to rework the name) and flights would only operate in the Northeast region of the United States. Only flights to/from JFK or LaGuardia. The MTA would try to have low fares to eliminate competition to kick out all flights out of New York along the upper half of the Eastern Seaboard. But if someone wanted to take a plane from JFK to Jamaica there'd be a flat fee of $25.

MTA Regional Airlines would consist of small planes for domestic service between JFK/Jamaica, operating every half hour. Service to Newark would operate weekdays only, every hour. Service outside of New York and Neward would have mid-capacity planes.

Oh man LRG you are to much bro. You had me dying of laughter over here after I read all of that.

Well that's funny. You're oh so concerned about the cost of running more buses because it costs more, but you have no concern about the lost monies from farebeating. Makes absolutely NO sense at all. None. :tdown:

Yes because mass transit a public service and is all about trying to serve as many people as possible for the least amount of resources.

And you still haven't answered my question in the previous thread:

Scenario 1: I don't make the trip.

Scenario 2: I make the trip by farebeating.

In terms of the amount of money the MTA receives, what difference does it make? If it makes you feel better, as far as those YMCA trips are concerned, I chose Scenario 1.

The MTA should take over the Staten Island Ferry and all the other boat services in New York City...the current Staten Island Ferry vessels will be sold off because they are too damn slow and cumbersome. Instead, the MTA would order small high-speed boats that would make the trip from Staten Island to Manhattan and vice versa in 15-20 minutes and not 25-30 minutes. These boats would operate every 10 minutes during the rush hours (6:30 - 9 a.m.; 4:30 - 7 p.m.), 15 minutes during midday hours and 20 minutes during weekends. Overnight service would operate every 45 minutes. This would cause weekend bus service at the ferry to be adjusted on some routes, especially the routes that operate every 15 minutes but only cover part of their trip under 15 minute frequency and the other part half an hour. (S74/S78 would operate every 20 minutes on weekends to Charleston, and not 15 minutes to Richmond Avenue and half hour service extended to Charleston).

The new boats will carry 1500 people, which is justified because of the new frequency rush hour boats would have (10 minute frequency x 1500 passenger capacity = 15,000 people per hour, vs. 15 minute frequency x 3500 passenger capacity = 14,000 people per hour). The new boats will have capacity for six cars at a time. The fare for the boat would be 75 cents. Fare is collected by RFID sensors upon entering the boat with eight turnstiles lined side-by-side with each other, which future MetroCards will have (RFID sensors as well as the magnetic stripe, similar to how Chase cards with "blink" sensors on the back work). There will be two emergency gates at opposite ends of the turnstiles for people with a wheelchair, bike or stroller. People exiting the boat once they arrive to Staten Island or Manhattan will be allowed to use the gates to exit faster.

The boats would be painted white, with black vinyl trim wrapped around the windows and a blue stripe located under the windows. There'll be a MTA logo smack in the middle of the boat and underneath the logo will the lettering for the new agency "New York City Ferry". Lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

That is actually not a bad idea, but fares as low as $25 (;)), as much as we can fantasize, could never cover operating costs.

The MTA should take over the Staten Island Ferry and all the other boat services in New York City...the current Staten Island Ferry vessels will be sold off because they are too damn slow and cumbersome. Instead, the MTA would order small high-speed boats that would make the trip from Staten Island to Manhattan and vice versa in 15-20 minutes and not 25-30 minutes. These boats would operate every 10 minutes during the rush hours (6:30 - 9 a.m.; 4:30 - 7 p.m.), 15 minutes during midday hours and 20 minutes during weekends. Overnight service would operate every 45 minutes. This would cause weekend bus service at the ferry to be adjusted on some routes, especially the routes that operate every 15 minutes but only cover part of their trip under 15 minute frequency and the other part half an hour. (S74/S78 would operate every 20 minutes on weekends to Charleston, and not 15 minutes to Richmond Avenue and half hour service extended to Charleston).

Sounds good to me. :tup:

The only thing is that the DOT said that overnight, it would be cheaper to run buses every 30 minutes than it would be to run the ferry every hour. So overnights, the ferry could shut down and be replaced by bus service every 30 minutes, rather than a ferry every 45 minutes.

Just came back from exploring the abandoned LIRR Rockaway branch from Jamaica Av then heading up north. Was a hassle to get to/from the tracks thou - lots of spikes from plant stems and the steep hill. Thou that just added to the fun. Now I remember somebody on here stating that it was illegal to do such, can anyone clarify that? Even if so, what police officer would even attempt to catch anyone he sees doing such?