Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Depends on the Latino person. Some of the time it tends to be like that though.

Yea, there is a Dominican family living upstairs from me, their lil' dude has blue eyes and straight brunet hair - white as day. While his older brother has curly hair and a very light brown skin tone - you'd definitely say he has some white in him along with some Native American.

Most of the Dominicans around here look pretty much as how I described the older brother while as most of the Puerto Ricans look more white than anything.

lol that's my two cents for the day...

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, there is a Dominican family living upstairs from me, their lil' dude has blue eyes and straight brunet hair - white as day. While his older brother has curly hair and a very light brown skin tone - you'd definitely say he has some white in him along with some Native American.

Most of the Dominicans around here look pretty much as how I described the older brother while as most of the Puerto Ricans look more white than anything.

lol that's my two cents for the day...

lol... Latinos come in all different colors, shapes and sizes. Some Caribbean and South American Latinos can be trigueños (White, Indian (Native American) and Black). Some can be mulato (White and Black), some can be mestizo (White and Indian) and then you even have black and Native American Latinos in some parts of countries like Mexico, although their population is generally confined to coastal areas. The features of what their mix is of course not always noticeable so they may just look like a mestizo but perhaps darker.

Then of course you have the Latinos that are Asian (some came over to Latin America years ago) and many that trace their ancenstry to Europe (like many Argentinians who are of Italian and Spanish background or even German, though you do have some with Native American mixed in or small amounts of black mixture, though very low), so it all depends.

Even Spaniards are mixed since they mixed with the Moors and other European groups back in the day, so there is no real pure anything.

I have Latino friends from all over and they all vary in terms in skin tone, hair color and eye color. Some have more European features while others are sort of swarthy. I've met plenty of black Latinos as well. One of my roommates was Dominican and his Dominican friends varied from mulatos to trigueños to dark skinned black Dominicans.

I know all of this stuff because I was a Spanish major so we have to study everything about Spain, and all of Latin America, from geography to history, to cultural differences and so on. In fact I still remember the course on Mexico in Spanish that I took which analyzed Mexico from pre-Spanish control all the way to the present Mexico of today. Very interesting course. Having those courses taught in Spanish and reading texts and such written by famous Latino authors really gives you a different perspective on many things. We used to read a lot of literature by Carlos Fuentes, esp. when talking about Mexico and issues of immigration or Chicanos. Probably some of most challenging writers are Latino writers. Very philosophical and abstract. :eek:

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

What's up with the constant over-lapping of shows on Nick at night? EX: a show that's suppose to come on at 3:00 AM but doesn't come on till about 3:20 AM-3:25 AM. It's been happening for a very long time now. Not sure what's causing it though. :confused:
Probably the shows they air during that time frame are more than 25 minutes. It's better than editing it to 21 minutes. :tup:

Things that I hate: Safari crashing or any other app in my iTouch.

I hate that too. MY Ipad's safari tends to crash when I try to look at videos from YouTube. When it crashes, It signs me out of any website I was logged on too which can get quite annoying.

Probably the shows they air during that time frame are more than 25 minutes. It's better than editing it to 21 minutes. :tup:

Which shows?:confused: I rather it being edited to 21 minutes due to the fact it mess up later programming time slots.

Isn't Hispanic a mixture of White, Black and Native American thou?

Yes it is. Of course, the exact percentage varies. For instance, you could have people who are Puerto Rican, but really their ancestry is 100% European because their ancestors were Spaniards who came to Puerto Rico and then eventually they came to the US. And that's one reason why it's stupid because the person could have no history of their ancestors being discriminated against, and yet they get to fill out the application while an American- or European-born White doesn't.

According to the Census, 53% of Hispanics identify as White, but I'm sure a good portion are actually mestizio. I would fall into that category (it just feels weird checking off "Native American" because I've always associated them with North America for some reason or another). You can't really see the Native American in my skin color, but you can see it in my facial features.

Yeah, and they probably do it to try and get more commercials in. Since very few people watch at that time of the morning, they probably offer it as an incentive to the advertisers (you won't get a large audience, but you can make longer commercials, or they could just sell more commercial space to more companies)

I hate that too. MY Ipad's safari tends to crash when I try to look at videos from YouTube. When it crashes, It signs me out of any website I was logged on too which can get quite annoying.

LOL Safari just crashed on me before replying to your post, now it's crashing more everytime I surf NYCTF. The same thing happens to me too with the youtube videos. Me sad. B)

Yes it is. Of course, the exact percentage varies. For instance, you could have people who are Puerto Rican, but really their ancestry is 100% European because their ancestors were Spaniards who came to Puerto Rico and then eventually they came to the US. And that's one reason why it's stupid because the person could have no history of their ancestors being discriminated against, and yet they get to fill out the application while an American- or European-born White doesn't.

According to the Census, 53% of Hispanics identify as White, but I'm sure a good portion are actually mestizio. I would fall into that category (it just feels weird checking off "Native American" because I've always associated them with North America for some reason or another). You can't really see the Native American in my skin color, but you can see it in my facial features.

True on both accounts, though most Puerto Ricans are trigueños regardless of complexion. I remember hearing some Puerto Ricans on the Ferry talking about Puerto Rico (going back and forth between Spanish and English of course lol) and how this one guy had very light eyes and how it is less common to see these features. It's more common to see brown eyed Puerto Ricans and such but not necessarily unusual to see a Puerto Rican with say grey, green or blue eyes which obviously comes from the Spanish mixture that they have. I have met some Puerto Ricans with light eyes too (green or grey colored), but I'd say overall it isn't that common when comparing them as a whole and even with those folks having lighter complexions, it was evident that from their facial features that they were mixed like in your case. I would agree that your mestizo mixture is evident upon seeing you that time.

I remember the first time I met one of my Colombian German friends. He first just said that he was German and his name is German, but I thought he looked more like a Latino because of his facial features. Later on I found out that he was Colombian (born in Colombia) to a German (Jewish) father and a Colombian mother. Seeing both of his parents confirmed my thoughts. His mother is clearly of mestizo mixture and his father of course looks like any European would.

It's funny with him because he has a German and a Colombian passport since he's lived in Bogotá (Colombia) and Cologne (Germany). The thing is though he says he's German when it's to his benefit and at other times he'll just say he's Colombian. When we would go up to Montréal back in college, he would say he was German because if he said he was Colombian we would be held up forever with Border patrol searching the car and such for drugs. LOL

It's funny with him because he has a German and a Colombian passport since he's lived in Bogotá (Colombia) and Cologne (Germany). The thing is though he says he's German when it's to his benefit and at other times he'll just say he's Colombian. When we would go up to Montréal back in college, he would say he was German because if he said he was Colombian we would be held up forever with Border patrol searching the car and such for drugs. LOL

Ah, the advantages of being of a mixed background. You could call yourself whatever you want and nobody can contest it. :tup: I know a girl who's a mix of Columbian and German/Italian (I'm not sure which. She said one of her parents was born in one of those countries, but technically her birth certificate said the other one because she moved shortly thereafter). She probably identifies as both, because I remember her talking about being Italian, but she also likes to talk in Spanish (I guess her mother learned another language, like a lot of Europeans do)

Back in freshman year, we had to do a project with kids from Wagner College, comparing the area around Wagner College to Port Richmond (of course, I ended up doing most of the research for the whole group. :tdown:). I found myself interested in demographics, and I thought it would be interesting to look at the 2010 Census data once it came out.

What's interesting is that the area with the most Hispanics is the northern part of Port Richmond, at 53%. No surprise there, but I found it surprising how the areas with the next largest number of Hispanics were the northern part of West New Brighton (51%), and the Elm Park, Mariners' Harbor, and Stapleton areas (which were all in the 40s). I always thought they were more Black areas, but now that I think about it, there are a lot of people who were dark-skinned, but they were Hispanic (probably with some African blood mixed in), which would explain those numbers. Now that I think about it, I do know some people in that area who would fall into that category.

Ah, the advantages of being of a mixed background. You could call yourself whatever you want and nobody can contest it. :tup: I know a girl who's a mix of Columbian and German/Italian (I'm not sure which. She said one of her parents was born in one of those countries, but technically her birth certificate said the other one because she moved shortly thereafter). She probably identifies as both, because I remember her talking about being Italian, but she also likes to talk in Spanish (I guess her mother learned another language, like a lot of Europeans do)

Uh huh... The fun thing is when my buddy Joseph, me and his Brazilian friend would get together up in Montréal and all speak in Spanish. An Italian, a German-Colombian and a Brazilian speaking Spanish. The Brazilian guy actually speaks more languages fluently than I do. I speak three fluently and I know some French and a little German, but he speaks five languages fluently (German, Canadian French, English, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese) :eek:. He was born in Brazil, but lived in Germany for a while, and then moved to Montréal to study there. Takes a lot of balls especially to master German. By far much more difficult than English.

On a side note, I have permission to use the bathroom in the nurse's office, because of a special circumstance, and I asked her if I could use it today. She said that there was a conference going on in there (and this has happened before). I was thinking "Why the hell are they having a conference in the bathroom? :eek: "

It reminds me of an episode of The Fairy Odd Parents where Cosmo held a fairly convention in Timmy's bathroom. B)

Yeah, I know it wasprobably in the adjacent room, but it was still pretty funny.

LOL Safari just crashed on me before replying to your post, now it's crashing more everytime I surf NYCTF. The same thing happens to me too with the youtube videos. Me sad. ;)

Wow that's just crazy. Try using a different browser if you can. The only time Safari crashes here in the forums is when I try to look at the videos and photos. Happens a lot on YouTube though and sometimes Photobucket. This is why I prefer to use my desktop as it uses Firefox. Safari you let us down :tdown:

Well, get up and shut up!
I love you, too. <3

There, that's better. ^^

———

And now for an unrelated note, I graduated from college and received a letter telling me I'm a candidate for valedictorian! I submitted my autobiographical essay, current résumé, and valedictorian form to the office. Now to wait for a reply.