Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Random Question to VIA:How come you're not in SI anymore?you got tired of the BS unreliable express bus service on SI??

There were a number of reasons. #1 I personally don't like what Staten Island is becoming. It is becoming too overcrowded, folks are much ruder than years ago, buses are packed and there isn't enough service and I just got fed up with it. It was also the issue of getting sick of taking car service to the express bus during late nights and weekends (much nicer to just get off of the bus and walk 5 minutes to my apartment regardless of when it is) and the fact that I didn't think I could find a nice apartment on Staten Island unless I was buying something (which I'm not quite ready to do yet since I still have one more large student loan to pay off (just paid off a smaller one before moving to Riverdale)), since most of the apartments on the Island that are for rent are generally not that great, so these were all reasons I moved to Riverdale.

The express bus stop for me is a 5-10 minute walk depending on which stop I use. I have the supermarket down the street, laundry on premises if I choose to use it (though I usually just go a few blocks over to Riverdale Avenue to the new laundromat since it is quicker (which is very nice)) and a much shorter commute (30 - 40 minutes compared to an 1 1/2 hours at times each way). I like walking around and Staten Island has this car mentality which I find quite annoying. In Riverdale folks like going for walks and do walk even though many of them have cars. It's not like they are obsessed with them though and they don't shun public transportation like some folks on Staten Island do since many of them move from the city (i.e. Upper East Side).

The express buses are well used in Riverdale, but we don't have folks packed like sardine cans and people are much nicer and the buses are also MUCH cleaner than the ones on Staten Island and extremely prompt. People just care more here and are more community oriented. That isn't to say you don't have that on Staten Island, but it isn't as much as it used to be before. People cared more when I first moved there.

I also notice that the streets are cleaner in Riverdale. Walking to the express bus on Staten Island, there was always rocks or some nonsense on the sidewalk which drove me nuts because you constantly have to keep looking out to not stumble over some a bunch of random pebbles or rocks or some nonsense. Here we have those Sanitation trucks that come and clean the streets every morning during the week, plus since there are so many condos and co-ops here the sidewalks will automatically be kept in prime shape so you won't see many cracked up sidewalks or any of that.

I'm not saying Staten Island is terrible because I lived there for over 7 years, but it certainly isn't as nice or as safe as it used to be when I first moved there. Quite frankly I think the real issue is that more seedy folks being pushed out from other boroughs are now moving to Staten Island, and it is bringing down the quality of life. I used to walk down Forest Avenue and it was much nicer. Now on a number of occasions there have been folks coming from God knows where up to Forest Avenue walking around harassing folks for money. This kind of stuff never happened before and it is another reason that I left. Of course these things can happen anywhere, BUT I've was living in West Brighton long enough to see that things were changing on the island. It's not just a coincidence that there are TONS of "FOR SALE" signs all over the island. Folks are leaving in mass and moving to NJ, or other parts of NY or just leaving NY altogether.

As long as the commute is, it's not like I was getting such a deal on Staten Island. As proof of that, I am actually paying less in Riverdale (one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the entire city) than what I was paying on Staten Island. When you factor in my monthly expenses and what I spent on car service, I am saving a good $300 - 400 a month living in Riverdale which is a yearly savings of almost $5,000.00. :eek:

Also, it is the issue that if I bought something on Staten Island it wouldn't appreciate as well as say in Riverdale. I check the prices for rent here in Riverdale and they are soaring, esp. now that we're in the prime period for rentals. One bedrooms are going for as high as $1,600 (right up there with Upper East Side prices) and buying something here (when I'm ready), I know that it'll be a good investment. I also don't see this area going to sh*t anytime soon because it is very pricey to live here in terms of rent/mortgage, and also because of its proximity to the city, great transportation and suburban like-feel with the greenery and such. In many ways it reminds me of what Staten Island used to be. I miss Staten Island to be honest. A part of me still feels a bit odd, but day by day I'm enjoying my new place and getting more and more comfortable. I'm getting familiar with the regulars on the express bus and the drivers as well and most importantly, I will finally have cable come this Saturday! I've had NO tv for almost two weeks now (just a black tv screen staring back at me:(), but believe it or not, it actually hasn't been that bad since I do have internet at home. lol

So yeah it wasn't just one or two things that made me leave. I just felt like it was time for a change and I feel comfortable with my decision. I do plan on visiting Staten Island here and there to see what is going on so I won't completely forget about the place. The same thing I do with Brooklyn... Regular visits. :cool:

Hm, can't blame you. Yeah as much as I'd like to live in S.I., it's only a last resort if I can't find anything in the parts of Brooklyn that I'm interested in first.

An another note, I took a walk through Clove Lakes Park today. Saw some ducks in the lake and I seized another perfect opportunity for some photo-taking with my new camera. I friggin' love this thing, the best investment I've ever made.

Hm, can't blame you. Yeah as much as I'd like to live in S.I., it's only a last resort if I can't find anything in the parts of Brooklyn that I'm interested in first.

An another note, I took a walk through Clove Lakes Park today. Saw some ducks in the lake and I seized another perfect opportunity for some photo-taking with my new camera. I friggin' love this thing, the best investment I've ever made.

lol@ SI comment... Well Clove Lakes was my park. I still remember a great shot that I took during one of the snow storms while waiting for the X30 across the street. That area is one reason why I liked West Brighton so much. On a funny note though, you should hang out over there during the late night hours. For years now I've seen this ambulance going up in the park and parking there. Not sure what happens if they're sleeping, banging, or what, but someone needs to get a photo op there. :o Oh and if they're not in the park with the ambulance, then they park in the SI Zoo parking lot, but all the way in the back where there isn't much lighting. lol

I doubt I have it. That was back when I had my crappy Blackberry. :o I think I got rid of everything on the phone as soon as I could.

Oh ok.

Not really coming at you, thou saying in general. When I shop at stores like those I never go for the shirts or sweaters with the name brand written on it.

Lol it's cool...I know what you mean, but I guess if I like the style of the shirt then I go for it. I have one with the seagull and 1922 next to it. Looked good to me so I grabbed it. I'm not into crazy graphics like Ed Hardy anyway, just simple graphics.

I tried chicken gizzards yesterday. They tasted alright, but it's just not for me.

On a side note, I like pasta when it's cooked in water, but I don't like it when it's covered in oil. It just tastes drier and not as good.

And I put this in the Bus-Random Thoughts Thread, but the sidewalk on DeRuyter Place is very narrow. If the S46 jerks its way into the stop, I have to lean against that fence to avoid being hit. (See below)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=7+De+Ruyter+Place,+New+York,+United+States&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=598&wrapid=tlif133237037926910&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Maybe that explains why it fell down: Because people were leaning on it to avoid being hit by the bus (I never really paid attention to the fence, but I'm pretty sure they put it back up. I think that image is a couple of years old).

There were a number of reasons. #1 I personally don't like what Staten Island is becoming. It is becoming too overcrowded, folks are much ruder than years ago, buses are packed and there isn't enough service and I just got fed up with it. It was also the issue of getting sick of taking car service to the express bus during late nights and weekends (much nicer to just get off of the bus and walk 5 minutes to my apartment regardless of when it is) and the fact that I didn't think I could find a nice apartment on Staten Island unless I was buying something (which I'm not quite ready to do yet since I still have one more large student loan to pay off (just paid off a smaller one before moving to Riverdale)), since most of the apartments on the Island that are for rent are generally not that great, so these were all reasons I moved to Riverdale.

The express bus stop for me is a 5-10 minute walk depending on which stop I use. I have the supermarket down the street, laundry on premises if I choose to use it (though I usually just go a few blocks over to Riverdale Avenue to the new laundromat since it is quicker (which is very nice)) and a much shorter commute (30 - 40 minutes compared to an 1 1/2 hours at times each way). I like walking around and Staten Island has this car mentality which I find quite annoying. In Riverdale folks like going for walks and do walk even though many of them have cars. It's not like they are obsessed with them though and they don't shun public transportation like some folks on Staten Island do since many of them move from the city (i.e. Upper East Side).

The express buses are well used in Riverdale, but we don't have folks packed like sardine cans and people are much nicer and the buses are also MUCH cleaner than the ones on Staten Island and extremely prompt. People just care more here and are more community oriented. That isn't to say you don't have that on Staten Island, but it isn't as much as it used to be before. People cared more when I first moved there.

I also notice that the streets are cleaner in Riverdale. Walking to the express bus on Staten Island, there was always rocks or some nonsense on the sidewalk which drove me nuts because you constantly have to keep looking out to not stumble over some a bunch of random pebbles or rocks or some nonsense. Here we have those Sanitation trucks that come and clean the streets every morning during the week, plus since there are so many condos and co-ops here the sidewalks will automatically be kept in prime shape so you won't see many cracked up sidewalks or any of that.

I'm not saying Staten Island is terrible because I lived there for over 7 years, but it certainly isn't as nice or as safe as it used to be when I first moved there. Quite frankly I think the real issue is that more seedy folks being pushed out from other boroughs are now moving to Staten Island, and it is bringing down the quality of life. I used to walk down Forest Avenue and it was much nicer. Now on a number of occasions there have been folks coming from God knows where up to Forest Avenue walking around harassing folks for money. This kind of stuff never happened before and it is another reason that I left. Of course these things can happen anywhere, BUT I've was living in West Brighton long enough to see that things were changing on the island. It's not just a coincidence that there are TONS of "FOR SALE" signs all over the island. Folks are leaving in mass and moving to NJ, or other parts of NY or just leaving NY altogether.

As long as the commute is, it's not like I was getting such a deal on Staten Island. As proof of that, I am actually paying less in Riverdale (one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the entire city) than what I was paying on Staten Island. When you factor in my monthly expenses and what I spent on car service, I am saving a good $300 - 400 a month living in Riverdale which is a yearly savings of almost $5,000.00. :eek:

Also, it is the issue that if I bought something on Staten Island it wouldn't appreciate as well as say in Riverdale. I check the prices for rent here in Riverdale and they are soaring, esp. now that we're in the prime period for rentals. One bedrooms are going for as high as $1,600 (right up there with Upper East Side prices) and buying something here (when I'm ready), I know that it'll be a good investment. I also don't see this area going to sh*t anytime soon because it is very pricey to live here in terms of rent/mortgage, and also because of its proximity to the city, great transportation and suburban like-feel with the greenery and such. In many ways it reminds me of what Staten Island used to be. I miss Staten Island to be honest. A part of me still feels a bit odd, but day by day I'm enjoying my new place and getting more and more comfortable. I'm getting familiar with the regulars on the express bus and the drivers as well and most importantly, I will finally have cable come this Saturday! I've had NO tv for almost two weeks now (just a black tv screen staring back at me:(), but believe it or not, it actually hasn't been that bad since I do have internet at home. lol

So yeah it wasn't just one or two things that made me leave. I just felt like it was time for a change and I feel comfortable with my decision. I do plan on visiting Staten Island here and there to see what is going on so I won't completely forget about the place. The same thing I do with Brooklyn... Regular visits. :cool:

I see what you're saying,since I've been living here it's not as bad I though it will be...onece in while you will have people outside acting a fool since I live near a HS,but for the most part it's quite unlike Canarsie sometimes people there take things too far there,however Canarise is still not a bad place to live.Yea,I still visit Canarsie see how things goes over there.....I was just over there last week.While I was waiting for the 103 I look at the BM 2 timetable and I notices they cut alot runs for the weekday runs and i was like wow!

As far transportation side goes,it could be better.....S 52 should run a little later on the weekends at lease,because I get tired walking home late at night where i'm tired.I could do it in the day time,but not in the night time.lol

cool%20story%2C%20bro.jpeg

To whomever does the traffic broadcast on 1010 WINS and thinks LOL is short for "lots of luck:"

1) Please stop. You are not impressing anyone, let alone the 50+ year olds whom actually listen to this annoying channel.

2) No, it doesn't stand for that.

3) It doesn't make any sense. How would you like it if I declared CIA an acronym for "crisis is averted?" Yeah, thought so.

The answer to "What is life?" while some may believe is a hard or impossible question to answer, ideally it is realitivly simple. Ultimately life is nothing. Nothing, we ever do will ever affect anything in the grand scheme of things. We are just a couple billion people and a few trillion animals. Here that may sound like a lot. But think of the universe. Expanding for 10 billion years. Things we never will know about are out there. Having said that, yet again, nothing we ever do will affect the universe. This therefore limits the idea of "potential". Giving every person, no matter how big an accomplishment, the same inferior status. Even if we nuke ourselves, and blow u the world, and make it non-exsistent, the universe will still go on. It will not stop. Our solar system may collapse, but outside of our galaxy, we can never do anything. And our galaxy vs the universe. No matter what you do with your life, it won't matter. Go tell someone you love them, but remember: it won't matter,

On a side note, I like pasta when it's cooked in water, but I don't like it when it's covered in oil. It just tastes drier and not as good.

This is offensive. Every man should know how to cook (and chicks dig it).

Every pasta is cooked in water. It should never, ever be served without anything on it. That's disgusting, it's just raw and awful.

You wanna boil that stuff for (depending on size) around ten-twelve minutes or so for an 'Al Dente' (that's not soft but far from crunchy, literally 'to the teeth') pasta, even longer for softer pasta. You take it out and then your decision is what goes on it. Olive oil is completely legitimate, you just have to use good oil, so that means Extra Virgin. Butter is your second option, but that's gonna be heavy. Personally, I'd go with oil. Other options are sauces of every kind, which are gonna be more complex depending on what you do. You can do a butter sauce with sage, butter with cheese and pepper (cacio e pepe style), the classic tomato sauce, pesto sauce, etc. Never plain though. Never ever plain.