Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Was walking around the city today and boy are the streets FILTHY... We need a good rain storm and bad... Stuff just spilled all over the place. The city (Manhattan) has become filthier especially with all of the tourists flocking here. The store owners should be forced to take care of their sidewalks like they do in other places where they use hot water and soap to wash down the sidewalks.

It's funny you mention this because I thought the same thing the last few times I went to Manhattan. Areas such as Columbus Circle & Time Square should be cleaner -- overflowing garbage bins, and just unsanitary spots along with homeless people laying everywhere.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone remembers how to see archives on the shoutbox? I would have asked there but If I missed the answer after a long conversation there then I won't be able to see the answer....

Maybe if there is a mod Harry can install that adds an archive to the chatbox.

On the topic of rain, it hasn't rained here in a couple of months. We were supposed to get some today but it didn't happen. The dirt is literally cracked all over the place.

Also, the Foster The People on SNL videos got taken down? WTF? And what really pisses me of is that the Letterman videos are still there.

And I thought operating a subway train was tough... Understanding freight train physics is like a whole 'nother dimension. Just learning how a mile long train of slack can work against you on a steep grade is freighting enough. Makes sense as to why they're called train engineers - the science behind operating such machines is immense!

Understaning airbrakes: www.tarorigin.com/art/Jbentley/

Edited by Jamaica Line

Guess I'm more attracted to railroads now. Took my first trip on a railroad solo via Amtrak from Penn Station to Patalka, Florida late March (around twenty hours both ways). One of the best experiences ever. Loved hearing the horn in combination of the sounds made from the tracks while running through numerous crossings. Ntm these trains are huge! These youtube videos don't give a good impression of how big these trains really are - you gotta see one for yourself! You could even feel the vibrations of the diesel freight engines that ran parallel.

Saw another freight consist running along the Lower Montak Branch today. Standing just a few feet from the tracks, I felt like a little kid as I raised my eyebrows with my mouth open in amazement of how huge these things are. Couldn't emphasized that enough. lol

Less than 2 more weeks for the Avengers movie, I can't wait anymore. The wait is driving me crazy!

On the subject, a Regal Cinemas here is showing the 6 Movies that came out prior to The Avengers, AND a Midnight showing of The Avengers on May 3rd. Twelve hours and thirty five bucks. Can't wait.

(P.S. With Ponify it says "Foster The Ponies". I lol'd)

Back in the good ol' days of Major League Baseball, there used to be quite a bit of fighting. And, no, I don't mean a simple bench-clearer or a simple mound-charge with only the pitcher and better ejected. I mean REAL bench-clearing brawls, where the fighting spills out and gets very nasty. Basically equivalent to the WWE. Sometimes, it gets so nasty that we may see as many as six, seven, or eight ejections for one fight or a series of fights that happen during one period. Today, we don't see these kinds of heavy-duty scraps unless you're watching a minor-league contest.

There's one underrated brawl that's just popped up on YouTube: the 1990 Brewers-Mariners brawl. Check out this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk8Ekkzxh4k&feature=related