Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Yea, baseball fights can be pretty entertaining, my favorite is the one from 96 with the Yankees vs the Orioles, its funny because in the video Derek Jeter is cheesing like a kid in school when a fight breaks out in the lunch room lol. Don't blame him, If I was in his position I would have doing the same thing

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can somebody please tell me the difference between a DVD-R and a DVD+R?? Plus or minus what's the difference? Ditto DVDRWs as well.

Has to do with formatting & how data is read & written to the disc....

In laymens, you're less likely to have read/write errors on a +R/+RW than you are on a -R/-RW....

This is more of an opinion, but I find that with the pluses (+R/+RW), you don't have incompatibility problems with it's use in DVD players.... as opposed to that of the dashes (-R/-RW)..... Basically if it's for storage or pc use only, either one is good, for the most part..... It's not that the dashes are bad, just that the pluses are a little better - that's why they cost more.....

We get a few entertaining fights in our games.

The Manly vs Storm fight last year comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQHXv0W1Los&feature=related

In the State of Origin games there's just about one fight every season. Usually started by the smallest little thing.

Aussie rules it doesn't happen much. The last major one I can recall was in 2009. Lloyd KOs Sewell and off it went:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQgkCekWVqw

Mind you we don't keep it going for

Well, superawesomeassblastfunfestweekend has been cancelled due to lacrosse practice being "mandatory" this week. Regardless, five of the events got rescheduled, and two I wrote down the wrong date for :P

Has to do with formatting & how data is read & written to the disc....

In laymens, you're less likely to have read/write errors on a +R/+RW than you are on a -R/-RW....

This is more of an opinion, but I find that with the pluses (+R/+RW), you don't have incompatibility problems with it's use in DVD players.... as opposed to that of the dashes (-R/-RW)..... Basically if it's for storage or pc use only, either one is good, for the most part..... It's not that the dashes are bad, just that the pluses are a little better - that's why they cost more.....

I really don't get the point of them making all of that. Why not just make one friggin' standard and make a damn good one?? Of course the answer is monetary in nature... <_<

I still have a VCR... Its actually a VCR / DVD player (tho the DVD part died, can't read anything. We had to get a new DVD player).

The only problem with my VCR is that it is samsung and it sucks. After 2 months, the time will unexplicably go ahead 5 minutes.

I still have a VCR... Its actually a VCR / DVD player (tho the DVD part died, can't read anything. We had to get a new DVD player).

The only problem with my VCR is that it is samsung and it sucks. After 2 months, the time will unexplicably go ahead 5 minutes.

DVD still works for me, but it's rarely utilized. The issue with my VCR is that some tapes aren't read properly at all, which might explain why 1. the picture turns very grainy with the "tracking" feature going wacko 2. the timer displaying an incorrect runtime (instead of a 1 hour presentation, it displays a 3-4 minute runtime). I don't get why the damn machine thinks the tape isn't fully inserted when in fact it is... <_<

I know how you feel bro. When I had Direct TV, it would constantly go off on me even in the slightest of rain. It was quite annoying. <_<

Wasn't terrible... Once the main storm passed by it was okay, but during the thunder it started to freeze up. I guess that is why it is cheaper than FiOS. I can thank Verizon for not having FiOS in Riverdale. <_<

Wasn't terrible... Once the main storm passed by it was okay, but during the thunder it started to freeze up. I guess that is why it is cheaper than FiOS. I can thank Verizon for not having FiOS in Riverdale. <_<

Lucky you... Like you, I don't have any FIOS available here in my area either. Once it's available here in my area, I plan to switch from Cable to FIOS.

Lucky you... Like you, I don't have any FIOS available here in my area either. Once it's available here in my area, I plan to switch from Cable to FIOS.

Here I was thinking Riverdale is an affluent area, so surely they'll have it. Even called them in advance to confirm and they yessed me to death. Turns out they only have it in certain parts of Riverdale. <_<

Here I was thinking Riverdale is an affluent area, so surely they'll have it. Even called them in advance to confirm and they yessed me to death. Turns out they only have it in certain parts of Riverdale. <_<

They did the same to me. When I called back to get a better answer, they told me that by 2014, all of NYC should have FIOS. I don't really trust that though... I'll believe that when I see it.

They did the same to me. When I called back to get a better answer, they told me that by 2014, all of NYC should have FIOS. I don't really trust that though... I'll believe that when I see it.

LOL... 2014... And then I'll have to pay double charges again to switch back <_< to FiOS.

You had FIOS in SI? If so how was it from your personal experience?

Uh-huh... Had it for internet only first and then for cable too because before I was getting cable for free... Was renting from a relative so it was included, but I paid for my own internet since I wanted wireless and then eventually started paying for my own cable too since I wanted certain packages and such. Anywho the internet was GREAT. I have to deal with crappy DSL now... Half the speed of FiOS, so no streaming games at the highest quality or anything like that. The one thing about Direct TV is that the high definition channels look better than FiOS which I found to be interesting. I actually prefer Direct TV over FiOS, just that the damn dish goes out too much. I found out last Saturday after calling customer service and going up on the roof with the Direct TV guy that the morons that installed my dish have me and another person in my apartment building sharing the same dish!! They put up the new dish and installed a friggin splitter so everytime that I called to complain about my service going out they'd ask me where was this certain equipment that I don't have and now I know why because the other person has it and I am basically piggy backing off of them. <_< I was pissed, but for now I'm leaving it the way it is, as I have to set up the time for them to come up and set up my own dish.

When they came to install the dish, I just went up by the roof and saw the dish and thought I was the only one who had Direct TV, so I didn't bother schlepping to actually go up on the roof and see what the deal was until last weekend when the tech told me to come on the roof with him. (Let's just say what was an experience)... A 6'4" dude going down a wobbly feeling ladder backwards... <_< I seriously had flashbacks to when I was on the leaning tower of Pisa. One chick said she was getting down because she didn't have insurance. There are nothing but little rails by the actual bells and with the building leaning all you can think about is tripping and falling to your death. <_<

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Uh-huh... Had it for internet only first and then for cable too because before I was getting cable for free... Was renting from a relative so it was included, but I paid for my own internet since I wanted wireless. Anywho the internet was GREAT. I have to deal with crappy DSL... Half the speed of FiOS. The one thing about Direct TV is that the high definition channels look better than FiOS which I found to be interesting. I actually prefer Direct TV over FiOS, just that the damn dish goes out too much. I found out last Saturday after going up on the roof with the Direct TV guy that the morons that installed my dish have me and another person in my apartment building sharing the same dish!! I was pissed but for now I'm leaving it the way it is as I have to set up the time for them to come up and set up my own dish.

I currently have the DSL internet service. Speed is decent but I'm willing to try FIOS. That was the few things that I liked about Direct TV. The HD channels looked pretty good. Some even better than Cable. About that dish, The Direct TV guys did the same thing to me. I called about it and the response was "your landlord doesn't want to many dishes" I was upset. They eventually came with another dish for me after I told them constantly to get me my own dish. I really can't wait for FIOS though... You got to be careful on that roof bro.

Edited by NYCtrainfan01

DVD still works for me, but it's rarely utilized. The issue with my VCR is that some tapes aren't read properly at all, which might explain why 1. the picture turns very grainy with the "tracking" feature going wacko 2. the timer displaying an incorrect runtime (instead of a 1 hour presentation, it displays a 3-4 minute runtime). I don't get why the damn machine thinks the tape isn't fully inserted when in fact it is... <_<

Try Sony ones. I've used mainly that brand for the vcrs and they've lasted at least 5 years incident free and I used to use them often before the dvr.