Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kind of surprised at how little some people travel outside their immediate areas. I was talking to one of my friends about the S46 and ridership along South Avenue, and he's asking me what the area is like (in terms of density and things like that) and I'm like "It's a 10 minute ride from school and you've never been out there?" :huh: I mean, I could understand it if he's not there on a regular basis, but I would think he'd get out there some time for one reason or another, especially since he lives along the S46 route. And he also didn't realize that they're building a police station near ShopRite on Forest & Richmond. I'm like "Dude, you have got to get out more".

He said I get around a lot, and I guess compared to him I do. A trip to say, New Dorp or something must seem like an adventure for him. :o

I'm kind of surprised at how little some people travel outside their immediate areas. I was talking to one of my friends about the S46 and ridership along South Avenue, and he's asking me what the area is like (in terms of density and things like that) and I'm like "It's a 10 minute ride from school and you've never been out there?" :huh: I mean, I could understand it if he's not there on a regular basis, but I would think he'd get out there some time for one reason or another, especially since he lives along the S46 route. And he also didn't realize that they're building a police station near ShopRite on Forest & Richmond. I'm like "Dude, you have got to get out more".

He said I get around a lot, and I guess compared to him I do. A trip to say, New Dorp or something must seem like an adventure for him. :o

Actually it makes sense. I mean I'm out and about but let's be honest. Staten Island is nothing to really explore to be honest. There are some really nice residential areas, but I've never felt the desire to "explore" the island, which was another reason I left. Now I like it because it is quiet and out of the way, but there are so many shady pockets amongst the nice areas that you just don't bother. It doesn't help that the transportation sucks either, so since things are spread out walking is not an option in many cases. The only real way to explore the island is to drive because places like Todt Hill, Lighthouse, Emerson Hill which I've passed through by car are really nice but not easy to get to.

I went on a whim into Manhattan last Friday to see how the Freedom Tower came along. This was early in the morning, took an N45 to the N22 to the (F) and tried to get the (E) at Kew Gardens, but that failed and I just went down to Forest Hills for the (M) and took that to 5th Avenue. I almost passed out from not eating combined with not getting much sleep (get your sleep, I could write an essay about sleep deprivation and not eating breakfast ****s your **** up) so I ran upstairs and got some Subway, then ran back down and waited for an (E). The train that came was naturally crowded, mostly from riders trying to get to the PABT and Penn Station...

Anyway, there's nothing much here to visit. Maybe if you go farther up north, around Roslyn and towns like that, you'll find something. Otherwise I just go into the city if I'm bored here because every other town looks the same.

Edited by Joel Up Front

Actually it makes sense. I mean I'm out and about but let's be honest. Staten Island is nothing to really explore to be honest. There are some really nice residential areas, but I've never felt the desire to "explore" the island, which was another reason I left. Now I like it because it is quiet and out of the way, but there are so many shady pockets amongst the nice areas that you just don't bother. It doesn't help that the transportation sucks either, so since things are spread out walking is not an option in many cases. The only real way to explore the island is to drive because places like Todt Hill, Lighthouse, Emerson Hill which I've passed through by car are really nice but not easy to get to.

LOL. He lives right by the West Brighton Houses. I don't think he's worried about "shady pockets". Maybe Stapleton or Arlington or the Richmond Terrace Houses, but that's about it (and I know he definitely wouldn't be scared of them. It would just be a little "shadier" than he's used to.).

And there are entire swaths of areas without anything remotely shady. Most of everything south of the SIE is perfectly fine. Even the housing projects there aren't bad. If you know where they are, and you're really worried about it then don't want through them, but even the surrounding areas are fine. I remember when I first came to SI I walked right by the Todt Hill Houses and I didn't even realize they were projects. Even north of the SIE, there are plenty of areas with nothing even remotely shady.

Anyway, there's nothing much here to visit. Maybe if you go farther up north, around Roslyn and towns like that, you'll find something. Otherwise I just go into the city if I'm bored here because every other town looks the same.

True. I mean, a lot of the homes on the North Shore, you could really see that type of home in any neighborhood, whether it be Mariners' Harbor or Port Richmond or West Brighton or whatever. And I guess if you're not really into looking at different types of homes then there's no point in really "exploring" or anything for no reason. I mean, come to think about it, it's just coincidental that I happen to travel around SI enough to be familiar with a lot of areas.

In any case, I just took my AP English test, and I am done with AP for the year. B)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

LOL. He lives right by the West Brighton Houses. I don't think he's worried about "shady pockets". Maybe Stapleton or Arlington or the Richmond Terrace Houses, but that's about it (and I know he definitely wouldn't be scared of them. It would just be a little "shadier" than he's used to.).

And there are entire swaths of areas without anything remotely shady. Most of everything south of the SIE is perfectly fine. Even the housing projects there aren't bad. If you know where they are, and you're really worried about it then don't want through them, but even the surrounding areas are fine. I remember when I first came to SI I walked right by the Todt Hill Houses and I didn't even realize they were projects. Even north of the SIE, there are plenty of areas with nothing even remotely shady.

OKAY OKAY calm down... <_< That comment was more so for the North Shore and don't go telling me about it being so safe and all of that compared to the city. I'm talking about by Staten Island standards... As I said before, the island is spread out and transportation sucks so unless you have a car, exploring the island, shady or not is not that easy in terms of the seeing the nicest parts up in the hills. Even so it is mainly residential so it isn't that big of a deal. Even Todt Hill while it is affluent, the architecture doesn't wow me. Outside of parts of West Brighton, my favorite areas that are the most charming are Randall Manor, Westerleigh and Emerson Hill. Castleton Corners is charming too around Slosson Avenue.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

OKAY OKAY calm down... <_< That comment was more so for the North Shore and don't go telling me about it being so safe and all of that compared to the city. I'm talking about by Staten Island standards... As I said before, the island is spread out and transportation sucks so unless you have a car, exploring the island, shady or not is not that easy in terms of the seeing the nicest parts up in the hills. Even so it is mainly residential so it isn't that big of a deal. Even Todt Hill while it is affluent, the architecture doesn't wow me. Outside of parts of West Brighton, my favorite areas that are the most charming are Randall Manor, Westerleigh and Emerson Hill. Castleton Corners is charming too around Slosson Avenue.

Like I said, some of those areas you don't have to worry about any crime. It's just that as soon as people see Blacks and Hispanics they autoamtically assume it's a ghetto and apparently you've been buying into that crap. You know how many times I've walked to the bus stop from school in Port Richmond? Probably well over a thousand. You know how many times I've felt uncomfortable doing it? Zero. And I've done it at all hours, so where the hell is all this crime people keep talking about?

And in any case, I'm surprised he hasn't visited those areas even if it was for a real reason. I mean, he's never had to visit a friend or go to any sort of event or drop off an application or go shopping or do anything in that area? I know there isn't much around there, but still, it's kind of surprising. Obviously, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with him or anything, but I still find it strange.

But then again, I remember a meeting at Wagner College and the teacher said that there were students from the South Shore, but they hadn't ever been outside of their area.

Like I said, some of those areas you don't have to worry about any crime. It's just that as soon as people see Blacks and Hispanics they autoamtically assume it's a ghetto and apparently you've been buying into that crap. You know how many times I've walked to the bus stop from school in Port Richmond? Probably well over a thousand. You know how many times I've felt uncomfortable doing it? Zero. And I've done it at all hours, so where the hell is all this crime people keep talking about?

And in any case, I'm surprised he hasn't visited those areas even if it was for a real reason. I mean, he's never had to visit a friend or go to any sort of event or drop off an application or go shopping or do anything in that area? I know there isn't much around there, but still, it's kind of surprising. Obviously, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with him or anything, but I still find it strange.

But then again, I remember a meeting at Wagner College and the teacher said that there were students from the South Shore, but they hadn't ever been outside of their area.

LOL... You need to get out more... Again by STATEN ISLAND standards, parts of the North Shore, particularly areas located by housing projects and most of Port Richmond (particularly above Forest Avenue) and Mariners' Harbor are known hot pockets for crime. It's funny how you're talking about me "buying into it" when an overwhelming majority of my friends are Latinos, which last I checked are minorities, so that is just a ridiculous statement to make. My closest friends are Latinos and we're like brothers. We can count on each other the most. In fact outside of my Italian friends and Irish friends, most of my friends are minorities (Asians and Latinos). I suppose you think Jersey St is "safe" too. <_<

LOL... You need to get out more... Again by STATEN ISLAND standards, parts of the North Shore, particularly areas located by housing projects and most of Port Richmond (particularly above Forest Avenue) and Mariners' Harbor are known hot pockets for crime. It's funny how you're talking about me "buying into it" when an overwhelming majority of my friends are Latinos, which last I checked are minorities, so that is just a ridiculous statement to make. My closest friends are Latinos and we're like brothers. We can count on each other the most. In fact outside of my Italian friends and Irish friends, most of my friends are minorities (Asians and Latinos). I suppose you think Jersey St is "safe" too. <_<

When did Port Richmond go south of Forest Avenue? I don't care what that sign by Burger King says. South of Forest Avenue is Westerleigh.

And yes, parts of those areas are bad (like I said, mostly north of the S46 route), but there are plenty of parts that aren't bad. Practically every time I hear of a crime it's in that area (and keep in mind that the SI Advance reports crime in Arlington as being part of Mariners' Harbor, so that definitely adds to the stigma. Something happening on Holland Avenue & Richmond Terrace has no impact whatsoever on somebody living at say, Union Avenue & Netherland Avenue).

And no, Jersey Street definitely isn't safe by SI standards. Hell, didn't you read the post I was responding to? I specifically mentioned the Richmond Terrace Houses, which the last time I checked were on Jersey Street. I've been around SI enough to know that some areas are hyped and some aren't.

And do you really think the people talking crap about these areas are going to say "Yes, it's a dump because there are a lot of minorities there". Yeah, some are blatantly racist and will say that, but most will say "Oh, it's run-down and has high-crime" and all that spiel. And you're just going along with it without having any actual experience with the neighborhood (and taking the X30 down Forest Avenue doesn't count)

When did Port Richmond go south of Forest Avenue? I don't care what that sign by Burger King says. South of Forest Avenue is Westerleigh.

And yes, parts of those areas are bad (like I said, mostly north of the S46 route), but there are plenty of parts that aren't bad. Practically every time I hear of a crime it's in that area (and keep in mind that the SI Advance reports crime in Arlington as being part of Mariners' Harbor, so that definitely adds to the stigma. Something happening on Holland Avenue & Richmond Terrace has no impact whatsoever on somebody living at say, Union Avenue & Netherland Avenue).

And no, Jersey Street definitely isn't safe by SI standards. Hell, didn't you read the post I was responding to? I specifically mentioned the Richmond Terrace Houses, which the last time I checked were on Jersey Street. I've been around SI enough to know that some areas are hyped and some aren't.

I'm sorry but I've walked around some of these areas hence why I know... I have walked in Port Richmond (would never do that again)... Above Forest Avenue.... North, NOT South.... And yes it does have an impact... Same neighborhood... Period... Arlington... Mariners' Harbor... Same crappola as far as I'm concerned... One big dump to the average Joe, but feel free to separate them if it makes you feel better.

And do you really think the people talking crap about these areas are going to say "Yes, it's a dump because there are a lot of minorities there". Yeah, some are blatantly racist and will say that, but most will say "Oh, it's run-down and has high-crime" and all that spiel. And you're just going along with it without having any actual experience with the neighborhood (and taking the X30 down Forest Avenue doesn't count)

Um... Maybe because it's true.... Of course that never dawned on you... :lol:

1) I'm sorry but I've walked around some of these areas hence why I know... I have walked in Port Richmond (would never do that again)... Above Forest Avenue.... North, NOT South.... And yes it does have an impact... Same neighborhood... Period... Arlington... Mariners' Harbor... Same crappola as far as I'm concerned... One big dump to the average Joe, but feel free to separate them if it makes you feel better.

2) Um... Maybe because it's true.... Of course that never dawned on you... :lol:

1) Like I said, I don't know what map you're looking at, but Port Richmond doesn't go south of Forest Avenue. Maybe you could say it includes Forest Avenue, but that's about it.

And I remember you talking about that. I still don't get it. You claim to be so street smart, and when the area starts looking worse, you keep going in the same direction (north). Obviously the further north you go, the worse it's going to get. What did you think was going to happen? "Maybe if I go all the way north, it'll get so bad it will actually be good."

And yeah, that was one part of Port Richmond. Like I always said, the worst part is north of Post Avenue. If you go south of it, it's still fine. Don't give me that "Oh, well there's one nice block and the rest of the area's a dump" because I can find you block after block of nice houses. Are they particularly fancy? No, but the area is fine. That's like going up to Castleton & Broadway and saying all of West Brighton is like that.

And no, they are not the same neighborhood. Holland Avenue & Richmond Terrace is almost a mile and a half away from Union & Netherland. You said you lived by Elizabeth & Delafield or something like that? That's less than a half mile from the West Brighton Houses, so if all of Mariners' Harbor is the hood, then you also live in the hood.

Somehow Forest Avenue can act as a divider between "good" and "bad" areas, but railroad tracks can't? Oh, wait. Both sides have Blacks and Hispanics, so they must both be equally bad.

2) No. They see that it has Blacks and Hispanics and then they assume that it's the ghetto. Then they go out and tell everybody that it's the ghetto without saying that the only reason they feel that way is because there's Blacks and Hispanics. If it was a White neighborhood that looked exactly the same, I guarantee you they would think better of it.

1) Like I said, I don't know what map you're looking at, but Port Richmond doesn't go south of Forest Avenue. Maybe you could say it includes Forest Avenue, but that's about it.

What are you "like I saying..."??? I said NORTH of Forest Avenue!!! That means Port Richmond!! I put "..." to not have to write everything out... Use common sense for Christ's sake. I wasn't walking NORTH of Forest Avenue... I was walking towards Forest Avenue meaning SOUTH... The "North" I was referring to was talking about Port Richmond not when I was walking there and please DON'T repeat this crappola about South of Forest Avenue not being Port Richmond because I was NOT discussing that.

And I remember you talking about that. I still don't get it. You claim to be so street smart, and when the area starts looking worse, you keep going in the same direction (north). Obviously the further north you go, the worse it's going to get. What did you think was going to happen? "Maybe if I go all the way north, it'll get so bad it will actually be good."

I'll repeat myself again... I was heading SOUTH towards Forest Avenue, NOT North! Every Staten Islander with half a brain knows that the closer you are to Forest Avenue if you're in a crappy part of SI on the North Shore, the better it usually gets with some exceptions (i.e. Mariners' Harbor for starters <_<).

And yeah, that was one part of Port Richmond. Like I always said, the worst part is north of Post Avenue. If you go south of it, it's still fine. Don't give me that "Oh, well there's one nice block and the rest of the area's a dump" because I can find you block after block of nice houses. Are they particularly fancy? No, but the area is fine. That's like going up to Castleton & Broadway and saying all of West Brighton is like that.

Well I'm sorry but Port Richmond Avenue... If you call that decent then clearly you and I have different standards. Then again we do have different standards.

And no, they are not the same neighborhood. Holland Avenue & Richmond Terrace is almost a mile and a half away from Union & Netherland. You said you lived by Elizabeth & Delafield or something like that? That's less than a half mile from the West Brighton Houses, so if all of Mariners' Harbor is the hood, then you also live in the hood.

Oh don't even try it. Forest Avenue is the border for the good part of West Brighton and the crappy part so you can just take that comment of yours and click edit and fix that up so that it reads correctly.

Somehow Forest Avenue can act as a divider between "good" and "bad" areas, but railroad tracks can't? Oh, wait. Both sides have Blacks and Hispanics, so they must both be equally bad.

What do you mean somehow?? Most Staten Islanders know that and the reason being is that the further North you go past Forest on the North Shore, those areas tend to have housing projects with some exceptions like Randall Manor and such. If they're aren't any housing projects, then you've usually got run down houses like the ones I saw by Castleon Depot. Some guy was sitting outside asking about his welfare paycheck. <_< I was in utter disbelief that I was in Staten Island, since I had never been exposed to such a run down area outside of passing Jersey Street on the bus. That's when I knew I had made a bad choice in not getting a Metrocard along Forest Avenue and that was the end of the "Staten Island explorations".

2) No. They see that it has Blacks and Hispanics and then they assume that it's the ghetto. Then they go out and tell everybody that it's the ghetto without saying that the only reason they feel that way is because there's Blacks and Hispanics. If it was a White neighborhood that looked exactly the same, I guarantee you they would think better of it.

Oh boy... There's a name for run down neighborhoods with whites in it... They call them trailer trash or hicks... <_<

Maybe the disagreements between VG8 and Checkmate should be renamed "Two Guys from SI" lol. I know VG8 moved to Riverdale, NY(he refuses to call it the Bronx lol)recently but it still has a nice ring to it.

And it commerical sponsor(like everything these days)is Staten Island bank.

You would think we'd chat more about South Brooklyn...

1) What are you "like I saying..."??? I said NORTH of Forest Avenue!!! That means Port Richmond!! I put "..." to not have to write everything out... Use common sense for Christ's sake. I wasn't walking NORTH of Forest Avenue... I was walking towards Forest Avenue meaning SOUTH... The "North" I was referring to was talking about Port Richmond not when I was walking there and please DON'T repeat this crappola about South of Forest Avenue not being Port Richmond because I was NOT discussing that.

2) I'll repeat myself again... I was heading SOUTH towards Forest Avenue, NOT North! Every Staten Islander with half a brain knows that the closer you are to Forest Avenue if you're in a crappy part of SI on the North Shore, the better it usually gets with some exceptions (i.e. Mariners' Harbor for starters <_<).

3) Well I'm sorry but Port Richmond Avenue... If you call that decent then clearly you and I have different standards. Then again we do have different standards.

4) Oh don't even try it. Forest Avenue is the border for the good part of West Brighton and the crappy part so you can just take that comment of yours and click edit and fix that up so that it reads correctly.

5) What do you mean somehow?? Most Staten Islanders know that and the reason being is that the further North you go past Forest on the North Shore, those areas tend to have housing projects with some exceptions like Randall Manor and such. If they're aren't any housing projects, then you've usually got run down houses like the ones I saw by Castleon Depot. Some guy was sitting outside asking about his welfare paycheck. <_< I was in utter disbelief that I was in Staten Island, since I had never been exposed to such a run down area outside of passing Jersey Street on the bus. That's when I knew I had made a bad choice in not getting a Metrocard along Forest Avenue and that was the end of the "Staten Island explorations".

6) Oh boy... There's a name for run down neighborhoods with whites in it... They call them trailer trash or hicks... <_<

1) Before, you said "most of Port Richmond (particularly above Forest Avenue)" and I'm saying that it's redundant because Port Richmond ends at Forest Avenue. It's like saying "The Bronx south of 262nd Street". The Bronx ends at 262nd Street (because north of it is obviously Yonkers) so it's redundant (or if you don't want me to use The Bronx, I'll use Riverdale. Whatever you want, but you get the point).

I know you were referring to the area north of Forest Avenue, but I clearly remember you saying it got worse as you walked further north. How could you even get up into Port Richmond without walking north in the first place? You said you went there and then you ran into a store, bought a MetroCard and took the next X10 out of there (or you ran back to Forest Avenue. Unless when you said "hauled ass", you were already on the bus and were just hoping it got out of there quickly). In any case, my point is that to get there, you had to have walked north.

2) Forest Avenue itself may be run-down in parts, but the residential streets are fine. And aside from that, I don't think you realize what you're saying. If you're closer to Forest Avenue, that means you're further from Richmond Terrace, so unless you're telling me that the Richmond Terrace side is better than the Forest Avenue side (which it isn't because that's where all the problems come from that make the whole neighborhood sound like "the hood"), I think you need to rephrase that.

3) When did I say anything about Port Richmond Avenue? Port Richmond Avenue itself is run-down, but the side streets are fine until you reach Post Avenue (give or take a block or two).

4) Oh really? So Delafield Avenue isn't safe like you kept on bragging about it (and yes, you've said it a bunch of times. Don't embarrass yourself by asking me to search for it). And you said you walked to your voting place on Myrtle Avenue, which last time I checked is also north of Forest Avenue.

And aside from that, saying somebody at Union & Netherland is affected by something at Holland & Richmond Terrace is like saying you were affected by whatever happens in the West Brighton Houses. I may complain about the crappy street layout in the neighborhood slowing down the S46s, but to a certain extent, it does sort of keep some sort of seperation between the projects and the rest of the area, though even by the projects there are still a lot of nice homes.

Just because I like Google StreetView so much, I'll show you some homes directly across the street from the projects: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&q=Continental+Place+at+Grandview+Avenue,+Staten+Island,+NY&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89c24da8d39ac329:0xa0539142a1b7d667,Grandview+Ave+%26+Continental+Pl,+Staten+Island,+NY+10303&gl=us&ei=wUK0T6-qBYW16AHsvMDMDw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAwQ8gEwAA

5) Geez, you see one part of the North Shore that has run-down houses and you assume all of it is like that (yeah, I know, except Randall Manor and Livingston). Then explain why there was nothing wrong with all those homes I showed you in the other thread. And don't say "Well, the area is mainly run-down with a few nice blocks" because I could throw an arsenal of photos of block after block of homes that look like that). Do they look fancy? No, but there's nothing wrong with them. Is there an occasional run-down block? Yes, but for the most part, all the blocks that fall into the area I described are fine.

6) Yeah, and I guarantee you that if you took a Black/Hispanic neighborhood and a White neighborhood of similar crime rates, the White neighborhood wouldn't get put down as hard.

You would think we'd chat more about South Brooklyn...

LOL. Now that I think about it, I've lived in SI for longer than I've lived in Brooklyn (it's been almost 8 years in SI, but only about 6 in Brooklyn)

Maybe the disagreements between VG8 and Checkmate should be renamed "Two Guys from SI" lol. I know VG8 moved to Riverdale, NY(he refuses to call it the Bronx lol)recently but it still has a nice ring to it.

And it commerical sponsor(like everything these days)is Staten Island bank.

Or better yet. The chats between checkmate and VG8 are know from here as the (2) wise guys lol.

I know you were referring to the area north of Forest Avenue, but I clearly remember you saying it got worse as you walked further north.

OKAY!! Would you give it a rest already!! Jesus Christ. I clarified myself and you keep going on and on. Enough already.

How could you even get up into Port Richmond without walking north in the first place? You said you went there and then you ran into a store, bought a MetroCard and took the next X10 out of there (or you ran back to Forest Avenue. Unless when you said "hauled ass", you were already on the bus and were just hoping it got out of there quickly). In any case, my point is that to get there, you had to have walked north.

If I was near Castleton Depot then obviously I had to walk north a little bit right?? Shall I give you a friggin' detailed block by block description too?? <_< I was looking for a store that sold a Metrocard without me having to go towards the Ferry and then come back the other way to walk towards the X10. The stupid (MTA) website had the wrong info on the stores that sold Metrocards and their locations, let alone Express Bus Plus cards, so I wound up having to wander around a bit trying to look for the store which is how I got by Castleton Depot. Eventually I found Port Richmond Avenue, found a place that sold some sort of Metrocard (at that point it didn't matter since I just wanted to get the hell out of there) and then I made my way as far south towards Forest Av as I could without missing an X10.

2) Forest Avenue itself may be run-down in parts, but the residential streets are fine. And aside from that, I don't think you realize what you're saying. If you're closer to Forest Avenue, that means you're further from Richmond Terrace, so unless you're telling me that the Richmond Terrace side is better than the Forest Avenue side (which it isn't because that's where all the problems come from that make the whole neighborhood sound like "the hood"), I think you need to rephrase that.

I don't need to rephrase anything. I've said on numerous occasions that ON AND AROUND Forest Avenue is okay in West Brighton and that I wouldn't go any further than Delafield which after that gets really sh*tty so there is nothing to rephrase.

3) When did I say anything about Port Richmond Avenue? Port Richmond Avenue itself is run-down, but the side streets are fine until you reach Post Avenue (give or take a block or two).

Well it's in Port Richmond and you claim it's so "fine" around there... I beg to differ.

4) Oh really? So Delafield Avenue isn't safe like you kept on bragging about it (and yes, you've said it a bunch of times. Don't embarrass yourself by asking me to search for it). And you said you walked to your voting place on Myrtle Avenue, which last time I checked is also north of Forest Avenue.

I'm going to repeat myself yet again... I've said on numerous occasions that ON AND AROUND Forest Avenue is okay in West Brighton (which would include Myrtle and Delafield. Myrtle I've walked down plenty of times and it is just fine. Typical West Brighton streets) and that I wouldn't go any further than Delafield which after that gets really sh*tty so there is nothing to rephrase.

5) Geez, you see one part of the North Shore that has run-down houses and you assume all of it is like that (yeah, I know, except Randall Manor and Livingston). Then explain why there was nothing wrong with all those homes I showed you in the other thread. And don't say "Well, the area is mainly run-down with a few nice blocks" because I could throw an arsenal of photos of block after block of homes that look like that). Do they look fancy? No, but there's nothing wrong with them. Is there an occasional run-down block? Yes, but for the most part, all the blocks that fall into the area I described are fine.

I don't care what the houses look like over there. You put a housing project next to any house and the housing price of that house automatically goes down and that's just the way it is and anyone with common sense knows this, no matter how "nice" the house is or looks. It's not just that house but the surrounding area that suffers as well, since in most cases those project folks don't just stay in their area unless they know the cops are patrolling to keep them out of certain areas (i.e. Upper East Side for example). :lol:

1) OKAY!! Would you give it a rest already!! Jesus Christ. I clarified myself and you keep going on and on. Enough already.

2) If I was near Castleton Depot then obviously I had to walk north a little bit right?? Shall I give you a friggin' detailed block by block description too?? <_< I was looking for a store that sold a Metrocard without me having to go towards the Ferry and then come back the other way to walk towards the X10. The stupid (MTA) website had the wrong info on the stores that sold Metrocards and their locations, let alone Express Bus Plus cards, so I wound up having to wander around a bit trying to look for the store which is how I got by Castleton Depot. Eventually I found Port Richmond Avenue, found a place that sold some sort of Metrocard (at that point it didn't matter since I just wanted to get the hell out of there) and then I made my way as far south towards Forest Av as I could without missing an X10.

3) I don't need to rephrase anything. I've said on numerous occasions that ON AND AROUND Forest Avenue is okay in West Brighton and that I wouldn't go any further than Delafield which after that gets really sh*tty so there is nothing to rephrase.

4) Well it's in Port Richmond and you claim it's so "fine" around there... I beg to differ.

5) I'm going to repeat myself yet again... I've said on numerous occasions that ON AND AROUND Forest Avenue is okay in West Brighton (which would include Myrtle and Delafield. Myrtle I've walked down plenty of times and it is just fine. Typical West Brighton streets) and that I wouldn't go any further than Delafield which after that gets really sh*tty so there is nothing to rephrase.

6) I don't care what the houses look like over there. You put a housing project next to any house and the housing price of that house automatically goes down and that's just the way it is and anyone with common sense knows this, no matter how "nice" the house is or looks. It's not just that house but the surrounding area that suffers as well, since in most cases those project folks don't just stay in their area unless they know the cops are patrolling to keep them out of certain areas (i.e. Upper East Side for example). :lol:

1) You didn't need to clarify yourself. I was just saying that it's redundant.

2) So why didn't you just walk along Forest Avenue? I'm sure a local store carries MetroCards, or at least Pathmark or ShopRite would.

3) Except that the comment you're replying to has nothing to do with West Brighton. You're basically saying that the area by Forest Avenue (in Mariners' Harbor) is worse than the area by Richmond Terrace and you know that's not true.

4) Well the last time I checked, buses don't go down the side streets, now do they?

5) You said "Forest Avenue is the border for the good part of West Brighton and the crappy part". You could've just said Delafield Avenue, but whatever...

6) So what? People have to live in an expensive house in order to be good people? And aside from that, I don't see cops patrolling around the Todt Hill Houses and they're fine. Or the Berry Houses or South Beach Houses. Plus, your comment was about there being mostly run-down houses, which is completely false.

2) So why didn't you just walk along Forest Avenue? I'm sure a local store carries MetroCards, or at least Pathmark or ShopRite would.

I said that if I walked along Forest that would mean going in the opposite direction uphill to go to a store that sold the Metrocard that I wanted (if they even had them), then going back in the opposite direction for the X10. The idea was to find something going towards the X10 that was close by and also allowed me to go for a stroll since I wanted to explore the area a bit, but not go on a journey either. I'm not walking all the way to ShopRite (which often runs out of them anyway) for a Metrocard and Pathmark... I never knew they sold Metrocards, let alone the one that I buy. The thing is for whatever reason I probably forgot to get a Metrocard in the city, so at that time I wasn't all that familiar with some of the stores, but I knew I wanted something relatively close by going towards the X10, hence why I was in Port Richmond because all of the stores by Forest that carry anything by me are uphill.

3) Except that the comment you're replying to has nothing to do with West Brighton. You're basically saying that the area by Forest Avenue (in Mariners' Harbor) is worse than the area by Richmond Terrace and you know that's not true.

I'm saying all of it is a dump, which is true. :lol:

4) Well the last time I checked, buses don't go down the side streets, now do they?

Who cares? Like that makes such a huge difference. If the main avenue is a dump it usually means that the area in general is a dump.

5) You said "Forest Avenue is the border for the good part of West Brighton and the crappy part". You could've just said Delafield Avenue, but whatever...

No, I could've just said what I said without you nitpicking at everything that I say.

6) So what? People have to live in an expensive house in order to be good people? And aside from that, I don't see cops patrolling around the Todt Hill Houses and they're fine. Or the Berry Houses or South Beach Houses. Plus, your comment was about there being mostly run-down houses, which is completely false.

Well if they've got a house next to the projects, their property value will be low anyway compared to someone with the same kind of house without the projects, so that's a moot point. The reason the cops aren't out like crazy is because I'm sure they screen those folks or they don't they know very well that if they get out of hand the cops will be up their @ss like no tomorrow. Like I said, we had that one incident with the Asian guy walking from the train station over to Riverdale getting killed by some thugs from Kingsbridge and now we've got the cops patrolling all over the neighborhood to make sure it stays safe up in the hills.

1) I said that if I walked along Forest that would mean going in the opposite direction uphill to go to a store that sold the Metrocard that I wanted (if they even had them), then going back in the opposite direction for the X10. The idea was to find something going towards the X10 that was close by and also allowed me to go for a stroll since I wanted to explore the area a bit, but not go on a journey either. I'm not walking all the way to ShopRite (which often runs out of them anyway) for a Metrocard and Pathmark... I never knew they sold Metrocards, let alone the one that I buy. The thing is for whatever reason I probably forgot to get a Metrocard in the city, so at that time I wasn't all that familiar with some of the stores, but I knew I wanted something relatively close by going towards the X10, hence why I was in Port Richmond because all of the stores by Forest that carry anything by me are uphill.

2) I'm saying all of it is a dump, which is true. :lol:

3) Who cares? Like that makes such a huge difference. If the main avenue is a dump it usually means that the area in general is a dump.

4) No, I could've just said what I said without you nitpicking at everything that I say.

5) Well if they've got a house next to the projects, their property value will be low anyway compared to someone with the same kind of house without the projects, so that's a moot point. The reason the cops aren't out like crazy is because I'm sure they screen those folks or they don't they know very well that if they get out of hand the cops will be up their @ss like no tomorrow. Like I said, we had that one incident with the Asian guy walking from the train station over to Riverdale getting killed by some thugs from Kingsbridge and now we've got the cops patrolling all over the neighborhood to make sure it stays safe up in the hills.

1) If you were walking west, that would've been in the same direction as the X10 anyway. If you went to a store by say Forest & Jewett, you could pick up your MetroCard and then walk a few blocks west to the X10. But you mentioned the hills so I'll let that go.

2) You said "the better it usually gets with some exceptions". Is Mariners' Harbor an exception to that rule? Didn't think so.

And you still haven't answered my question: How does something happening on Holland Avenue affect somebody living in the southeast part of the neighborhood? Because I guarantee you if you look at a crime map, most of the crime is happening north of the train tracks.

And no, it's not true.

3) Then explain to me why you admitted there was nothing wrong with the homes I showed you, which were in Port Richmond.

4) Yeah, but you know that's not going to happen. You keep going "Oh, Port Richmond north of Forest Avenue" when Port Richmond ends at Forest Avenue. Decker Avenue may be a nice part of Port Richmond, but it's still north of Forest Avenue, just like the rest of the neighborhood.

5) Since apparently the only thing that matters is money to you, then explain to me why Mariners' Harbor has a higher median income than your beloved Sheepshead Bay. And almost twice the median income of Brighton Beach. And you mentioned something about knowing Koreans in Bedford Park and how they can't be that poor and everything, and yet the income is lower there.

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Sheepshead-Bay-Brooklyn-NY.html ($46,382)

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Little-Odessa-Brooklyn-NY.html ($25,703)

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Bedford-Park-Bronx-NY.html ($31,341)

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Mariners-Harbor-Staten-Island-NY.html ($48,734)

good god, what is it about the two of you getting into these damn back and forth nonsense? Meet up in person and talk it out or something.

LOL. We actually did meet in person, but that was only to present proposals. Maybe if it occurred to me to actually explain my S93 idea, he wouldn't be talking about how it's "ridiculous". Well, we know for next time...

Aw, shit. I just realized that my wensday rural busfanning trip is the same day as my last lacrosse game. :angry: I blame LaSalle for being a dick and re-scheduling the game to Wensday that was on a perfectly fine day. Unless of course I can get down from Malta to St. Rose almost instantly.

On a happier note: The neighbors are doing their drum rituals again for the first time in six months. It feels good to be back.