Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Talk about random... and I have something even more random:

Does anyone feel more comfortable browsing sites who's themes have bright colors? Like here, with the white and blue?

The colors of websites while browsing doesn't bother me.... it's these sites that are overloaded with applets & flash animations/movies...

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
U.S. Homeland Security ordered 1.4 Billion rounds of ammunition last year...

wtf are they trying to get prepared for?

Yeah, the government is pretty much prepped to grab up all the guns and preventing the rest of us from obtaining them... then again I wouldn't be surprised if the country defaults (and China comes in to call in what they are owed) there could be a mass anarchy...

* meant as sarcasm

So the new Popeyes restaurant is open on Utica and Fillmore. The burger kings is still there as well. I couldn't see much from outside, but the original kitchen of bk is still in the same place, while the kitchen for Popeyes is in the area the tables used to be. so they have separate kitchens instead of being like a mix or an extended kitchen. Both restaurants uses the same entrance and the Popeyes has, from what I could see, a few more tables. So yeah, bk is still there but it just gets mad smaller and smaller by the years.

AFAIC, they should've gotten rid of that BK outright..... Turn the whole establishment into a popeyes, cut down some of the seating space & prop up some other establishment where the parking lot is.... The BK over by church/remsen is another BK that doesn't need a whole parking lot for it....

As I said in the shoutbox there, yeh I see where they halved it up; BK on the left side, popeyes on the right side (we were right in guessing popeyes after all)..... Anyway, I wasn't in the mood for popeyes that night I went out fanning in the rockaways when I took the B46 over to the Q35, but there were a pretty good amt. of people waiting in there.... from what it looked like, it was about 10 ppl. standing waiting on line......

AFAIC, they should've gotten rid of that BK outright..... Turn the whole establishment into a popeyes, cut down some of the seating space & prop up some other establishment where the parking lot is.... The BK over by church/remsen is another BK that doesn't need a whole parking lot for it....

As I said in the shoutbox there, yeh I see where they halved it up; BK on the left side, popeyes on the right side (we were right in guessing popeyes after all)..... Anyway, I wasn't in the mood for popeyes that night I went out fanning in the rockaways when I took the B46 over to the Q35, but there were a pretty good amt. of people waiting in there.... from what it looked like, it was about 10 ppl. standing waiting on line......

To be fair about the fillmore location, I think some of those parked there are for Petco. I dunno if they have the strict towing thing like with the Pathmark by the Manny B (where a truck will show up the moments after someone parks a car and heads west away from the parking lot to the street), so it's pretty full on weekends.
I technically don't mind the split too much as BK does have some stuff like the ciniminis and the onion rings that McDonalds doesn't offer. But I do think they would've been better off just letting Popeyes fully take over the place and maybe update the interior decor of the seating area. I guess the BK could've moved over to KP as McDonalds really doesn't need 2 locations on both Fillmore and Av U imo. Or with the construction going on over the fire damaged area of Flatlands and Flatbush, they could move there and open a much smaller restaurant. Speaking of that location, it looks as if they will be 2 floors vs 1, so a minor change to the local skyline.

So since I work in Greenpoint now (right on Manhattan & Greenpoint), I have 4 main options of getting home...

1. (G) to the (L) (fastest and most logical)

2. B43 to the B15

3. B62 to the B60

4. B24 to the B60

...dunno why im taking option 4 lol

By the McDonalds ?

Anyway, I know you didn't list this, but if I worked up there & lived where you did, I'd take the (L) to the 43 as my main commute.....

You couldn't pay me to put up w/ that transfer at Lorimer on a daily basis (talking about option 1)....

Option 2 would be my "backup plan", so to speak.....

The last 2 options you list I'd only consider if I were in the right mood at the end of the day.... I'd never consider either for a morning commute if I worked in that area..... The B60 is the last route in this borough I'd rely on if I didn't have to....

To be fair about the fillmore location, I think some of those parked there are for Petco. I dunno if they have the strict towing thing like with the Pathmark by the Manny B (where a truck will show up the moments after someone parks a car and heads west away from the parking lot to the street), so it's pretty full on weekends.
I technically don't mind the split too much as BK does have some stuff like the ciniminis and the onion rings that McDonalds doesn't offer. But I do think they would've been better off just letting Popeyes fully take over the place and maybe update the interior decor of the seating area. I guess the BK could've moved over to KP as McDonalds really doesn't need 2 locations on both Fillmore and Av U imo. Or with the construction going on over the fire damaged area of Flatlands and Flatbush, they could move there and open a much smaller restaurant. Speaking of that location, it looks as if they will be 2 floors vs 1, so a minor change to the local skyline.

That's what I'm saying, I think it's private parking (meaning just for the BK & the popeyes (now)).....

If petco shoppers are included/allowed now, then that's news to me (thus, they can keep that parking lot there if that's the case), but I don't think it is.....

As far as BK inside KP, there used to be one on the 1st floor actually - used to be packed too, since the mcdonalds was on the 2nd floor by the old movie theatre.... I gather since you make that type of a statement/suggestion though, that it's no longer there.... 

I dunno. It's been a while since I was last there at KP, but given the proximity of the bk on Utica and Fillmore, I wouldn't see the justification of having another 'branch' in KP mall. But iirc in 2005, I don't believe there was a bk in there. Yeah I haven't been there since they removed the theater. That will be totally new to me if I were to go in that mall.

As for the parking, I know the petco took over what used to be the arcade and former mini amusement park bk used to have at the back. I guess as part of the agreement petco customers can be allowed to park in the main lot as well. I see customers all the time with their dogs or petco carts heading to the parking lot. Some of them are lazy in leaving the carts there or on the sidewalk. Smh.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I dunno. It's been a while since I was last there at KP, but given the proximity of the bk on Utica and Fillmore, I wouldn't see the justification of having another 'branch' in KP mall. But iirc in 2005, I don't believe there was a bk in there. Yeah I haven't been there since they removed the theater. That will be totally new to me if I were to go in that mall.

As for the parking, I know the petco took over what used to be the arcade and former mini amusement park bk used to have at the back. I guess as part of the agreement petco customers can be allowed to park in the main lot as well. I see customers all the time with their dogs or petco carts heading to the parking lot. Some of them are lazy in leaving the carts there or on the sidewalk. Smh.

If that parking lot is for petco shoppers as well, then I'll take your word for it....

As far as what occupied the space where petco is now - Oh I remember that amusement park; used to be many fights that would break out there too....  If I'm not mistaken, it was a stabbing that had taken place there that eventually led up to that place getting shut down..... Either a stabbing or a shooting where someone had gotten killed...

The burger king that was inside KP on the first floor was still there after they renovated the place back in 2001/02..... If you don't remember it being there in '05, then they got rid of it sometime between '02 & '05.... That was around the time stores were being vacated out of KP & replaced w/ other ones anyway.... i.e., the kay bee toy store, that disney store, etc.....

I agree w/B35 on the B60. That route loves to be late and NEVER bunch, which is anomaly to me... essentially, you'll wait for anywhere from 20-45 minutes and one overcrowded bus will come. It's hilarious.

Also, if you already own a gun, no one is coming to take them away. Thank you.

Yeah, the government is pretty much prepped to grab up all the guns and preventing the rest of us from obtaining them... then again I wouldn't be surprised if the country defaults (and China comes in to call in what they are owed) there could be a mass anarchy...

* meant as sarcasm

Lol

If that parking lot is for petco shoppers as well, then I'll take your word for it....

As far as what occupied the space where petco is now - Oh I remember that amusement park; used to be many fights that would break out there too....  If I'm not mistaken, it was a stabbing that had taken place there that eventually led up to that place getting shut down..... Either a stabbing or a shooting where someone had gotten killed...

The burger king that was inside KP on the first floor was still there after they renovated the place back in 2001/02..... If you don't remember it being there in '05, then they got rid of it sometime between '02 & '05.... That was around the time stores were being vacated out of KP & replaced w/ other ones anyway.... i.e., the kay bee toy store, that disney store, etc.....

damn, that's a shame about all the fights. I think I must've been like 5 when I was there. So must've been a decline in the later 90s. Shame too, I mean sure those rides would all be in the kiddie section of large park but its a mini park behind a bk in the city, so eh mixed emotions there (little sad about a childhood experience is gone).

Ah, that explains it. Didn't know about the turnovers there.

I've taken the (L) to the 43 a few times, but I generally try to stay away from that area (crazy ex-girlfriend, but that's another story)...

Last night I took the 24 to the 46 (missed the 60) to the 35. Going to work, I usually just take the train since its the fastest. Going home, I could care less what I take since im not in a rush to get home

damn, that's a shame about all the fights. I think I must've been like 5 when I was there. So must've been a decline in the later 90s. Shame too, I mean sure those rides would all be in the kiddie section of large park but its a mini park behind a bk in the city, so eh mixed emotions there (little sad about a childhood experience is gone).

Ah, that explains it. Didn't know about the turnovers there.

That's exactly when that amusement park fell off....

See, it used to stay packed on weekends, but back when I was growing up (mid 80's-early 90's) there would be way more white families bringing their kids there... around the time it declined (late 90's), you saw less white families taking their kids there & more black families taking theirs there..... I remember when my aunt and my grandmother would take my siblings & my (younger) cousins to KP as kids on separate occasions, we'd ride by (on the bus) & they'd be like 'where all these spooks come from' all of a sudden.... Tagging along (as a teenager), I wondered the same thing.....

Anyway, that burger king also benefitted from the amusement park being there, because that's exactly where parents would take their kids after a day's fun or w/e (seemed like every other week, there was a b'day party inside that BK, to boot)...... When that park closed down, BK's business plummeted - and it's been doing so ever since IMO.... I barely see anyone going in there anymore.

Wtf is with the black censor screen?

B35: that pretty much hits the nail on the head. With that amusement park gone, the bk just became dead. Weekends they're lucky the have enough people along the window seats. It's like library quiet there if they don't have the radio on. Sad but I'm glad someone else is there. Better than another shuttered up place.

B35: that pretty much hits the nail on the head.

With that amusement park gone, the bk just became dead. Weekends they're lucky the have enough people along the window seats. It's like library quiet there if they don't have the radio on. Sad but I'm glad someone else is there. Better than another shuttered up place.

Yup, I'm still interested to see how many of the mta workers (flatbush depot) hit up the popeyes now over the BK (I know quite a bit of them go to that diner across the street; the floridian I think it's called).... Sometimes I see mta workers (I'm assuming t/o's, c/r's & stengel b/o's) hit up the popeyes over in flushing.... But more often than not, more of em do hit up the BK in flushing - That's really the only BK right now that comes to (my) mind that still manages to get mad business on a consistent basis..... Just might be the best BK in all of NYC, service-wise.......

Anyway, I agree with you - I'm also glad there's something else now to eat over there by f'bush/utica that doesn't have you heading over to KP, or back the other way to that mcdonalds....

Now if there were only options over there by the Q35 terminal (B116th).... That's why that corner store gets the business that that does; ppl. buying a quick drink & somethin to snack on before riding the bus....

Edited by B35 via Church

Interesting, I didn't know they can offer to block out logos on vids now. Before they would silence the audio if a 3rd party claims you are using their music without their permission. Like playing a gta game with the radio on.

B35: yeah the q35 at b116th has a Wendy's, but its a good walk away and I have no idea where the mcd is at. It'd be nicer if those places were closer to the bus stop than where they currently are. Not a slam on that diner place, but its not for me. I'd prefer one of the big chain restaurants instead.

B35: yeah the q35 at b116th has a Wendy's, but its a good walk away and I have no idea where the mcd is at. It'd be nicer if those places were closer to the bus stop than where they currently are. Not a slam on that diner place, but its not for me. I'd prefer one of the big chain restaurants instead.

I'm not too fond of diners either... there's this diner over here in my area over on utica/winthrop that people here rave about (right at the B46 SB stop).... I have yet to step foot in that place & don't ever plan on doing so....

Over there around B. 116th, that wendy's is gone bro.... it was always filthy/poorly kept in there anyway....

In any event, only mcdonald's I can think of out there is all the way by the bridge (cross bay); the same one all those beach channel HS kids frequent..... There was a YT video out sometime last year where some couple got busted screwing inside the bathroom....

Wow, that's a surprise, then again when they had a special museum train trip in 2003 a group of us went over there and made an off hand remark about how we were the most customers that place saw (when one of the floor sweepers made a stink over the noise some of us were making). I dunno what business was like, but I'd bet its location wasn't all too good.

Oh my god at that Mcds part.