Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. That's what happened on the shuttle. I was in the front, the bottom was packed and those idiots thought the stairs were a force field, so I don't know why the prick was talking to ME like that. What I said in reply was enough, but I would have cursed the person out if they continued. Though I nearly got into a fight one day because of my words :P

At least you have the ability to make people intimidated...unlike me. I'm a scrawny guy lol

In other words, it's that time of the year again, Daylight Savings Time. I like the days being longer but the fact that I lost an hour of sleep last night really sucked. I went to bed a little before 2 and woke up at 8:30, five hours of sleep! I was cranky as f*** earlier this morning but I'm okay now,.

Oh man! My heart goes out to your uncle! He is lucky yo be alive and in good health. this is great! *whew* That was a close call. I can sincerely understand you was worried as f**k over this. He's still with you on this Earth, that is a true blessing.

yeah he's fine. I didn't ask him how much damage he sustained, but yeah definitely not a great start to the day. Time to buy some waterproof containers and such to keep important stuff safe from water damage.

yeah he's fine. I didn't ask him how much damage he sustained, but yeah definitely not a great start to the day. Time to buy some waterproof containers and such to keep important stuff safe from water damage.

That's great! Good to hear. Yeah do your thing and be there for your uncle, I'm sure he is appreciating your efforts and you are to be commended. Stay strong. Shit happens but indeed as you are doing already, keep it moving, you will have better days ahead.

I had a similar situation during hurricane Irene where my former apartment got a sewage backup, not cool at all, so I can understand.....

Where's that thousandths of a cent from?

I have no sympathy for my peers who get behind the wheel drunk/high out of their goddamned minds and then f___ themselves up.

Wisdom for the masses. Driving drunk can get you in jail or killed.

I came from a gathering just now as I post this and had my cousin drive kitten and myself home had alot of drinks and wasn't down with getting hit with a DWI. Car's still parked in BK, and well I'm calling in sick tommorow. He'll drive it home he said he has my keys, I trust him like that. Got sick time so I should be OK. 

Edited by realizm

I'm in disbelief. Went to a hangout tonight, got shitfaced, and the dude that was with me left home for some stupid bullshit roughly around 9:00PM PT. It's all good until the host's neighbor starts knocking on the door bitching how loud it is (we were just using a basic stereo in her garage) and calls the cops right there. So everyone books it (myself included) and rather than wait the three or four hours for the next bus in the frigid cold at 1:00AM PT I stumble the 11 miles home. Just arrived at like 2:20AM PT, roughly 15 minutes ago.

I really don't even know what I'm doing up right now. All I know is that my first class starts in four hours and if I sleep now, I won't be up in time. f**k it, I'll stay awake and just go to my classes with some shades on. Yeah, this may just work. B-)  

IT'S CERTAINLY BETTER THAN THIS! :blink:      

One of my life lessons.

No fumes tabaco, solo hay dos pulmones.

Fuma la mota, neuronas, hay millones.

Which in English literally translates to:

Don't smoke tobacco, there's only two lungs.

Smoke weed, brain cells, there's millions.

But like lungs, brain cells don't grow back/get repaired from the damage. So both aren't any better than the other.

Well, what I've learned in pharmacology class was really surprising ----  Neurology scientists made the recent discovery that brain cells DO grow back and regenerate new brain cells. (!!!)  It was a breakthrough discovery. They are currently experimenting with drugs in mice experiments to see the potential in patients suffering from Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease. The general public's overall assumption that marijuana kills brain cells is also a myth, FYI.

http://www.livescience.com/505-adult-brain-cells-growing.html

[From article: Adult Brain Cells Do Keep Growing by Ker Than - LiveScience : http://www.livescience.com/505-adult-brain-cells-growing.html ]

"The apocryphal tale that you can't grow new brain cells just isn't true. Neurons continue to grow and change beyond the first years of development and well into adulthood, according to a new study.

The finding challenges the traditional belief that adult brain cells, or neurons, are largely static and unable to change their structures in response to new experiences."

Edited by realizm

But like lungs, brain cells don't grow back/get repaired from the damage. So both aren't any better than the other.

That was more of a joke than a literal statement, though you'd be correct.

Pissed would be an understatement to describe how I'm feeling. Between the S40 and the guy I had to take the S40 to visit, plus some other crap that I had to deal with today.....

Lol, the S40. How's that route working out for you?

Well, what I've learned in pharmacology class was really surprising ----  Neurology scientists made the recent discovery that brain cells DO grow back and regenerate new brain cells. (!!!)  It was a breakthrough discovery. They are currently experimenting with drugs in mice experiments to see the potential in patients suffering from Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease. The general public's overall assumption that marijuana kills brain cells is also a myth, FYI.

http://www.livescience.com/505-adult-brain-cells-growing.html

True, though as with most cells, they tend to re/generate rather slowly.

Lol, the S40. How's that route working out for you?

The problem is that when the bell rings for dismissal, I have about 4 minutes to run down to Richmond Terrace to catch it. Normally, it comes on time (or maybe a minute or two late), and I'm able to catch it. But today, it must've been a fast driver, or he must've left the terminal early or something, because I didn't even see him in the distance.

The good thing is I wasn't trying to catch a ferry, so instead of (effectively) costing me 30 minutes, it cost me 20. But on the bright side, if I had taken the S46 (which is right by my school, and more frequent) I would've gotten to St. George at basically the same time anyway.

The entire Huffington Post is bullshit, never mind that article.  I don't know how she makes that much money ripping off stories from actual news sources.

Thanks for the warning. Will make sure to read between the lines if I happen to read the Huffington post the next time around when I surf the net for news. 

Edited by realizm

Got terrible news. My BP increased to 143/85. Now I am 6'0" 215lbs, 24 yrs. and pants size 36 width. Doc told me to eliminate salty and processed foods as well as well as exercise. I currently go to the gym and started losing weight. Do any of you guys can help out on any stuff I can eat that is low on sodium? It can be a great help. (Note: I don't consume fast food that much, it's a once in a blue thing. I gained weight by eating late at night. I couldn't help it since I get hungry that late).

Edited by alejr88

Got terrible news. My BP increased to 143/85. Now I am 6'0" 215lbs, 24 yrs. and pants size 36 width. Doc told me to eliminate salty and processed foods as well as well as exercise. I currently go to the gym and started losing weight. Do any of you guys can help out on any stuff I can eat that is low on sodium? It can be a great help. (Note: I don't consume fast food that much, it's a once in a blue thing. I gained weight by eating late at night. I couldn't help it since I get hungry that late).

Read this link: http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/high-blood-pressure-diet

What I know:

1) Drink lots of water. That's helps your body to get rid of your sodium quickly.

2) Avoid alcohol

3) Eat fresh veggies,and meats. Poultry, fish or beef is fine. Avoid processed foods as your doctor advised. No canned products unless it is clearly marked 'no sodium' even if it's veggies, soups, no processed meat products. If eating tuna fish in can, rinse it well.

4) Cook your own meals. Use herbs and spices in your food, to compensate for the taste you may be normally be accustomed to by adding salt. Consider salt-free seasonings.

5) Cook your rice, potatoes, and pasta fresh from scratch. Don;t use the instant rice, pasta or instant potato products so you can have control over your sodium intake. No canned broths, frozen dinners, or high sodium salad dressings.

You're already on the right track with exercise and all that jazz, you should be good.

You are still young, do not worry. You will bounce back. But start now and get your health in check.

Edited by realizm