Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the help. As for alcohol, I only drink socially but I can sure avoid that w/o a problem. Gladly appreciate it.

I gained the freshman 15 in college years ago partially because I was homesick I guess, but I made drastic changes that summer and it's the last time that I had any real weight issues.  I wasn't fat per se but was still concerned nonetheless.  I'm 6'4" and 210, so we're about the same height and weight give or take. I stopped drinking whole milk and switched to 2% then to 1% and then to skim slowly getting used to skim milk by mixing it.  Now and days there are so many good milks out there that you can't tell the difference.  Organic Valley is excellent and there are some good Soy milks out there as well which are healthy too.

Also, if you can afford it, go organic. You'll know if it's organic because organic products have the organic label on them and are regulated accordingly. As realizm noted, processed foods and canned foods tend to have high sodium content because sodium is something that is used as a preservative going back to the old days.  You're Latino also, and even though you don't eat out a lot, home cooking can be dangerous if the person who is cooking has a heavy hand with salt.  I used to eat a lot at a buddy of mine's house who is Puerto Rican when I was growing up... Lots of "arroz con pollo", "platos guisados" (stewed dishes) and so on, but it his mom didn't have a heavy hand with the salt and she prepared baked chicken instead of fried chicken which makes a huge difference, along with other dishes that were generally healthier.

In short, there is a tendency to add salt to foods because it brings out the flavors that are incorporated better, but you can find other ways to avoid it.  If you must fry, use regular olive oil (not extra virgin as it is better for frying), and it's much healthier that using other oils and has a nice mild flavor.

I also cut back on meat.  I have tons of veggies and always organic or at least natural to avoid the pesticides and preservatives... Things like spinach, tomatoes, shredded carrots, nuts and cranberries are excellent.  The raisins or cranberries add a nice sweetness to the salad and then I add a small amount of salad dressing to coat the salad, but don't go crazy with that either because that can have a lot of fat.  Just enough to coat the salad is fine.  In fact that is what I am having for lunch today.  :D 

I eat red meat, but mainly as a treat, so when you eat it, get good quality stuff, this way you don't feel like you're depriving yourself.  Aside from that you do need some meat for protein, so chicken breast that's grilled in a nice vinagrette for example is a healthy option to keep the chicken moist and flavorful and avoid all of the fat, cholesterol and sodium from frying.  

I also eat a lot of seafood... Not sure if you're a fan, but you can never go wrong with grilled salmon (extremely good for you), grilled calamari (squid), mussels and grilled shrimp or nice sea or bay scallops.  While some of these have a high fat content, they're reality lean and very good for you, esp. if they're not fried (like shrimp or calamari).  The key is to have them in moderation and to prepare them in a healthy manner.  They're a great substitute for meat though and provide a nice amount of protein.

Then there are fruits.... If you're into any fruit, eat more of it.  I like blueberries personally and I buy tons of them as they're very high in antioxidants and good for circulation and the heart and provide other health benefits like healthy brighter skin.  You can add that to your meal as a snack and that will help you become fuller, thus decreasing your reliability further on meats and fried stuff.  Again, go organic if possible to avoid the preservatives.

As for snacking, I snack a lot, but again the key thing is to avoid the processed stuff.  I love chips, but get veggie chips which are much better... Much less fat and sodium and none of the processed stuff.  I still have my cookies and cakes too, but in smaller portions and no processed stuff.

Finally, to address your late eating, you're going to have to change that habit.  It's a problem I have too but the key is what you eat.  Now last night I went to Whole Foods, got back pretty late and then prepared a small snack for myself. I started eating around 23:30 or so while watching the game which is a habit I have during hockey season.  However, all I had was a chicken tartine which was pretty light and a little piece of almond lemon pie, just enough to fill me with some sparkling water and this morning I was fine.  If you're eating things like salads or other healthy lean foods late at night you'll be fine. I've been out late at night drinking or eating at bars getting medium burgers and such and the next morning I wake up as if a brick hit me.  Definitely not the way to go because that's where the weight comes from...

The alcohol and meat sits on your stomach and you spend all night breaking it down.  Oh and also, LIMIT YOUR SODA INTAKE!!  Stick to flavored sparkling water where possible (Lemon or Lime Perrier is my best friend).  Same fizz without all of the sugar and sodium and it's natural too.  I had a small soda last night (12 oz.)  If you must I highly recommend Gus' Grown Up Soda.  A much healthier version with less sugar and sodium that I have as a treat.  Feel free to PM me for other suggestions.

I'm back from my hiatus. I guess I wasn't gone long, though I feel I needed sometime away from this place.

As for my location, my actual residence is still in Jurupa Valley, CA but as of know I'm kicking it with some friends out in Riverside, CA out near Canyon Crest for the week.

I'm back from my hiatus. I guess I wasn't gone long, though I feel I needed sometime away from this place.

As for my location, my actual residence is still in Jurupa Valley, CA but as of know I'm kicking it with some friends out in Riverside, CA out near Canyon Crest for the week.

Turbo's back reporting for duty. *salute*

Total amount spent at build a bear workshop..$52.50

That feel knowing you put a smile on your girlfriends face despite taking a hit in the wallet...priceless

Yeah, I blew like $250.00 dollars so kitten can buy a handbag with matching shoes @ Union Square wiping out my checking account in the process without realizing it. Priceless.

Yeah, I blew like $250.00 dollars so kitten can buy a handbag with matching shoes @ Union Square wiping out my checking account in the process without realizing it. Priceless.

lol.... $250.00 isn't too bad... Actually that's very reasonable for a chick... Now if you think that's bad you should go cufflink shopping with me.  :lol: I have a pair of cufflinks that I bought back in 2006 for a Xmas gift at the old MontBlanc store in Paramus (that no longer exists) that were about the same price at around $260.00 from Germany... In pristine condition though... Wearing them today as a matter of fact.  :D They don't even carry these anymore, so they're a real classic.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

That's why I don't think I'm ready for a girlfriend yet...I'm don't think I'm prepared for the price tag it'll come along with. I have my own money issues and whatnot...I'm trying to save every penny I can so I can get the hell out of my mom's house by the summer and I don't need to be spending it unnecessarily.

That's why I don't think I'm ready for a girlfriend yet...I'm don't think I'm prepared for the price tag it'll come along with. I have my own money issues and whatnot...I'm trying to save every penny I can so I can get the hell out of my mom's house by the summer and I don't need to be spending it unnecessarily.

I feel your sentiments man. In my experience, most chicks want your time and money and they'll toss you out to the curb the second you can't provide for them.

Well on the real, a man has to make sure that he can bring bread to the table. I mean by having your life in order in an established career (say in healthcare, business management, accounting and finance, information technology (like yours truly), teaching, and definitely transportation (commercial truck driving, and of course transit worker). Many women are also career minded nowadays not all are gold diggers contrary to popular belief. Along with proper social skills and lifestyle habits, and by being yourself, your improved self, ever getting better as an attractive person to other women, you can seriously get any girl from wherever country in the world you want if you apply yourself. And eventually become a father and having a family which is where I might be heading eventually at this point in the game.......

You're on the right track by taking the first step, gaining independence.

I feel your sentiments man. In my experience, most chicks want your time and money and they'll toss you out to the curb the second you can't provide for them.

It depends, if say down the line you start dating gorgeous and attractive professional women with careers who has heart you will not have to worry about those kind of women.

Edited by realizm

Well on the real, a man has to make sure that he can bring bread to the table. I mean by having your life in order in an established career (say in healthcare, business management, accounting and finance, information technology (like yours truly), teaching, and definitely transportation (commercial truck driving, and of course transit worker). Many women are also career minded nowadays not all are gold diggers contrary to popular belief. Along with proper social skills and lifestyle habits, and by being yourself, your improved self, ever getting better as an attractive person to other women, you can seriously get any girl from wherever country in the world you want if you apply yourself. And eventually become a father and having a family which is where I might be heading eventually at this point in the game.......

You're on the right track by taking the first step, gaining independence.

It depends, if say down the line you start dating gorgeous and attractive professional women with careers who has heart you will not have to worry about those kind of women.

The funny thing is, this is my last semester in college before I graduate and I'm having somewhat better luck with girls, but I ask myself why so late though and where was this luck the first three years.

The effed up thing though is that there are girls who are really looking for a nice guy and then they pass them up because they're not "what they wanted"...I was in a situation like that this summer when this girl I met in March had a boyfriend at the time but it ended abruptly in May when the guy was talking to some other girl behind her back and dropped her. It wasn't until September when I just gave up asking her to hang out and stuff, or even something as simple as meeting up in between classes on campus because there'd always be an excuse. To this day I don't know if they were legitimate excuses or not but I don't even care to be frank cuz I don't even like her like that anymore. It was just a summer crush and I'm also glad nothing else materialized because she was a bit immature for me. If I see her on campus I won't be a moron and just walk past her like I didn't see her...I'll say hi and stuff but that's as far as it'll get. She's still stuck over her ex-boyfriend, wishing that they'd get back, it's so annoying.

There's more to the story (a middle part) but I'll leave that out for now...if anyone is interested in hearing it, by all means I'll share it.

Edited by LRG

The funny thing is, this is my last semester in college before I graduate and I'm having somewhat better luck with girls, but I ask myself why so late though and where was this luck the first three years.

The effed up thing though is that there are girls who are really looking for a nice guy and then they pass them up because they're not "what they wanted"...I was in a situation like that this summer when this girl I met in March had a boyfriend at the time but it ended abruptly in May when the guy was talking to some other girl behind her back and dropped her. It wasn't until September when I just gave up asking her to hang out and stuff, or even something as simple as meeting up in between classes on campus because there'd always be an excuse. To this day I don't know if they were legitimate excuses or not but I don't even care to be frank cuz I don't even like her like that anymore. It was just a summer crush and I'm also glad nothing else materialized because she was a bit immature for me. If I see her on campus I won't be a moron and just walk past her like I didn't see her...I'll say hi and stuff but that's as far as it'll get. There's more to the story (a middle part) but I'll leave that out for now...if anyone is interested in hearing it, by all means I'll share it.

Sometimes the 'nice girls' are just putting on a fake persona. They will use you then put you in the 'friend zone'. If that is the case the seriously tell them to have a nice day, move on and work towards finding your next female love interest.

Telling you from personal experience because I was dumped many times myself, and in some cases crushed from breakups from long term relationships. Even kitten in all seriousness gets to me but then again sometimes I get her upset too. That's life when it comes to dating and/or in an LTR. It's how strong you are mentally, emotionally and spiritually as a man that counts, bottom line. If you are strong in these areas and other ways (and I can write a book on this not to brag but in all honesty with humility, this is a very complicated subject) then girls will notice you and will absolutely want to be with you in a seriously very fun and intimate way. 

Well I know that. By that point I'm sure I'd have accomplished much in my life. Besides that, I'd be socializing with people of a more "educated" background.

The fact is at a young age most relationships are just past-times or something of status. I've come to accept that and quite honestly I'm not even looking into being in a relationship in this point in time. If someone comes up to me then it's different, but as it stands I'm not chasing anyone in particular.

Well I know that. By that point I'm sure I'd have accomplished much in my life. Besides that, I'd be socializing with people of a more "educated" background.

The fact is at a young age most relationships are just past-times or something of status. I've come to accept that and quite honestly I'm not even looking into being in a relationship in this point in time. If someone comes up to me then it's different, but as it stands I'm not chasing anyone in particular.

Yeah most definitely. Good points.

@VG8 Thanks for your words. I will PM you for some thoughts.

@LRG & realizm - How frustrating is it when girls are like "ohh I want a nice guy, blah blah blah" and then you show up and be cool to them and for some reason they put you in the friend zone. Reminds me of a Willy Wonka meme I saw months back stating that a girl dumped her boyfriend because he treated her like crap and she didn't pay attention to the nice guys she friendzoned. Not all nice guys are boring, heck I consider myself a nice guy, I have a sense of humor and tend to be social sometimes.

I read somewhere that a teacher got fired for having an affair with her student on Staten Island. I don't find anything wrong with that as long as the student is over 18. I'm thinking at that age you should be considered an adult. In addition, if I were in that position I would keep that on the DL lol. In Texas there is some stupid law that got a teacher in jail for having sex with her student, mind you he was already legal. Should have gotten just fired and not sent to jail, that's messed up.

Edited by alejr88

Dude, i wish lol...she was happy so that's all that matters

...plus i got to stuff something later that day but that's a different story lmao

Yep making your girl all happy acting cute with smiles and stuff is all that counts.  ;)

What I didn't say was that the shoes i bought her was black stillettos, then she bought lingerie with her credit card after I wasted the 250.00 and overdrawn the checking account. Think about what happened next when we made it home that night....  

@LRG & realizm - How frustrating is it when girls are like "ohh I want a nice guy, blah blah blah" and then you show up and be cool to them and for some reason they put you in the friend zone. Reminds me of a Willy Wonka meme I saw months back stating that a girl dumped her boyfriend because he treated her like crap and she didn't pay attention to the nice guys she friendzoned. Not all nice guys are boring, heck I consider myself a nice guy, I have a sense of humor and tend to be social sometimes.

There are nice girls too. Seriously. And they really would not mind if you approach it the right way. It's happened to me. I'm still with her today. It took two semesters to finally win her heart.

With 'nice girls' comes patience, alot of patience. But if you stick with it, you will get her. I've seen this happen to some of my friends within my social circle. And most of these girls are definitely career-minded mind you, trying to move up in life. Girls like this are to be commended. They keep it real.

Edited by realizm

You know what seriously makes me nervous? When female co-workers hit on me KNOWING I'm engaged. They see my ring and everything and still hit on me. Women can be bold. For the younger dudes as Turbo19 said, it's all fair game but as an adult who is serious about an intimate relationship (many of us) it can really get annoying.

Food for thought if your're engaged or married. I'm learning this very quickly.

I mean crazy work emails and all that. Wanting to have lunch with me and I know their intentions......

Sheesh, where were they when you were single? Or these are the type of women who only hit on married or engaged people? SMH

Sidenote: I'm usually at this site through my iphone so I was viewing the mobile version of the forum. Now I put it back to the original web format, time to up some posts I owe.

Edited by alejr88

I read somewhere that a teacher got fired for having an affair with her student on Staten Island. I don't find anything wrong with that as long as the student is over 18. I'm thinking at that age you should be considered an adult. In addition, if I were in that position I would keep that on the DL lol. In Texas there is some stupid law that got a teacher in jail for having sex with her student, mind you he was already legal. Should have gotten just fired and not sent to jail, that's messed up.

You have absolutely no idea how annoying that shit is!!! This is what I meant about the girl I was interested in a few months back, I wanted to prove to her I wouldn't be anything like her ex who rebounded with another girl. And she's hoping that things go right between her and her ex again. It's f***ing pathetic.

Funny thing is, the girl is my age as well we're both 21 but her birthday's 10 days before mine...I would expect that from a girl two or three years younger than me. Maybe I should stop going after girls like that and look for someone probably a year older, but the question is, could I handle a girl older than me?

Edited by LRG

Age doesn't matter at all. There are older girls who act just as immature as a teenager. Look for a chick who is classy, smart, but also cute. I'm sure there are few out there, real nice girls like realizm says. Give it time, you deserve better LRG.