Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the news has become that much closer to a tabloid type paper. Not really surprising. Though that is just bizarre. I don't care what the religion is, if it looks odd, don't expect to go unnoticed. 

Agreed... Getting tired to see that the Daily News keeps talking about a certain celebrity.. They started to talk about Kim Kardashian everyday...  I don't read that section but we don't need to hear about her everyday...

Yeah, but you know how it is, sex or celebs on drug rehabs sells... I like tmz, but I don't need the ppr to splash that stuff on the first few pages. That should be more towards the middle in the entertainment section. And would it kill the daily news to hire proofreaders? I've seen some articles where they get the words misspelt or use the wrong word as if they let the autocorrect do the work for them.

Yeah, but you know how it is, sex or celebs on drug rehabs sells... I like tmz, but I don't need the ppr to splash that stuff on the first few pages. That should be more towards the middle in the entertainment section. And would it kill the daily news to hire proofreaders? I've seen some articles where they get the words misspelt or use the wrong word as if they let the autocorrect do the work for them.

Most of the time they mess up on verb tense.

I think life is PMS'd right now because it's being a real bitch.

I know it sounds as redundant as a broken record, but live your day as it was your last. As stupid as it sounds I don't start my day without some sort of positive motto in my head to keep me going.

For the most part I've been keeping a positive outlook throughout this month and it's helped me be a much better person all around.

So in completely Unrelated news, earlier tonight I was feeling worn out. In search of a pick me up I stumble down to my (not so) local Walgreens. I arrive and find cans of Mountain Dew Kickstart for only 2 @ $1.00 and grab two of each variety (Fruit Punch & Orange Cirtrus respectively). Total come out to $2.54 and I leave contempt and go and chill them in my fridge.

So not to long ago I crack open a can of the Fruit Punch and take my first drink, or should I say chug. I'll tell you this much, I got a "kick" but it sure wasn't the kick I expected. To summarize it, the taste was very much like a diet redention of Mountain Dew Code Red, followed with some more dilution of somekind. Very bitter and tart, much more than expected which may have contributed to that "kick". Caffeine wise it's alright but not much compared to other drinks.

I'll try the Orange Citrus later, but I have substantially dropped my expectations. If your looking for a boost of anykind, do yourself a favor and not pay full price for this stuff. Just stick to your usual coffee, energy drink, or soda you're enjoying now.

Also if you want to go ahead and criticize me and call me an idiot for picking so much of this shit, please go ahead and do it for me. Apperciated, thanks.

That's why I avoid caffeinated drinks as much as possible. I used to get really bad headaches and was trying as hard as possible to figure out what was the root of it. I tried everything...made sure I wasn't skipping meals, getting plenty of rest, but I couldn't figure it out. I then looked up more about what causes migraines (they were THAT bad) and it says that caffeine can trigger headaches. I realized I would drink a lot of soda that has caffeine in it, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, etc. I stopped drinking those sodas and would switch over to non-caffeinated drinks like Sprite, Ginger Ale and even seltzer water, the latter of which is good stuff. You get the carbonated feel/taste without the heavy sugar or sodium.

I started this new regimen back in the summertime, early August. I've only had migraines in late September, at the beginning and at the end of January, and haven't had any since. Knocking on wood to hope I don't have another one ever again because those can really spoil your day.

Once in a while I'll have hot chocolate from Starbucks. I looked up the contents of the drink, which has very little caffeine. The white hot chocolate has no caffeine at all (that stuff is so good!!!), so you put them together and it "dilutes" the caffeine contents of the drink to a degree.

Great advice. I'm not one for binging on carbonated/caffeinated beverages as it really does damages your body in many way. Though I was exclusively drinking different types of water almost exclusively, I wasn't getting that burst of energy I was searching for. So I turn to coffee, soda, anything really. A problem of mine is that low amounts of caffeine really don't do much for me so I'll tend to drink a few caffeinated beverages a day to keep me going.

Great advice. I'm not one for binging on carbonated/caffeinated beverages as it really does damages your body in many way. Though I was exclusively drinking different types of water almost exclusively, I wasn't getting that burst of energy I was searching for. So I turn to coffee, soda, anything really. A problem of mine is that low amounts of caffeine really don't do much for me so I'll tend to drink a few caffeinated beverages a day to keep me going.

If you want real energy get it NATURALLY from fruits! Blueberries are great and have natural sugars that you will keep you going.  What you're searching for you get when you drink caffeine and it's called an artificial high and then the next thing you know you feel completely dead.  Been there and done that... I drink an espresso here and there when a want a little boost but for the most part I rely on natural (preferably organic) fruit for that.

That's why I avoid caffeinated drinks as much as possible. I used to get really bad headaches and was trying as hard as possible to figure out what was the root of it. I tried everything...made sure I wasn't skipping meals, getting plenty of rest, but I couldn't figure it out. I then looked up more about what causes migraines (they were THAT bad) and it says that caffeine can trigger headaches. I realized I would drink a lot of soda that has caffeine in it, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, etc. I stopped drinking those sodas and would switch over to non-caffeinated drinks like Sprite, Ginger Ale and even seltzer water, the latter of which is good stuff. You get the carbonated feel/taste without the heavy sugar or sodium.

I started this new regimen back in the summertime, early August. I've only had migraines in late September, at the beginning and at the end of January, and haven't had any since. Knocking on wood to hope I don't have another one ever again because those can really spoil your day.

Once in a while I'll have hot chocolate from Starbucks. I looked up the contents of the drink, which has very little caffeine. The white hot chocolate has no caffeine at all (that stuff is so good!!!), so you put them together and it "dilutes" the caffeine contents of the drink to a degree.

Yes caffeine can indeed cause headaches... Caffeine withdrawal or if you drink enough of it, you'll start to crave more of it.  When I started drinking coffee back in college (nothing big (just an espresso or a macchiato)) but I started to get headaches because my body started to crave more of it.  That's when I stopped cold turkey.  It's also about the quality of what you're drinking.  Starbucks is known to put a lot of crap in their coffee so I avoid it at all costs even if it's free.  I do have coffee but from select places, preferably those that serve organic or natural coffee with ingredients that I pronounce.  The quality is much better and I don't have any headaches.  As for the migraines, I've had them and to deal with them if you can take a nap ASAP but more importantly it's all about channeling your energy and focusing on other things. I rarely get them anymore and a lot of it has to do with how I used to deal with them when I had them.

Oh yeah, I remember I head a migraine that was REALLY bad. I was heading to work one day and all of a sudden I started to get the migraine symptoms (saliva thickens, blurred vision, nausea, etc.) and it was unbearable. I got to work early and shut my eyes for like half an hour before I started, but it didn't do any justice. I was at work for only an hour and I just couldn't stand up anymore because my stomach was aching me terribly and then I ran to the bathroom and hurled. My manager allowed me to go home, luckily there was enough staff in the store to make up for the loss of one person, but I was passed that I only got an hour in because I was scheduled for six hours that day. As soon as I got home I took a nap, the only downside was I was awake for the rest of the night and I stayed in bed the next day because I needed a day to relax. I hate staying in at home all day but sometimes you need to catch up on some rest.

Oh yeah, I remember I head a migraine that wais REALLY bad. I was heading to work one day and all of a sudden I started to get the migraine symptoms (saliva thickens, blurred vision, nausea, etc.) and it was unbearable. I got to work early and shut my eyes for like half an hour before I started, but it didn't do any justice. I was at work for only an hour and I just couldn't stand up anymore because my stomach was aching me terribly and then I ran to the bathroom and hurled. My manager allowed me to go home, luckily there was enough staff in the store to make up for the loss of one person, but I was passed that I only got an hour in because I was scheduled for six hours that day. As soon as I got home I took a nap, the only downside was I was awake for the rest of the night and I stayed in bed the next day because I needed a day to relax. I hate staying in at home all day but sometimes you need to catch up on some rest.

Yeah you have something similar to what I would get... I would get the "aura" which hangs around for about 15 - 20 minutes to the point to where you can barely see things (mine used to be focus in one eye at times), then the nauseous feeling and the headache... I would usually be lucky enough to get home and take a nap, but as I got older I started to manage them better and understand how to deal with them and what triggered them and now I get the aura maybe once a year if that and usually no headache if I don't get enough sleep or the weather is crappy out (i.e. rainy, cloudy) .  If you get the aura you should try to focus in on something and just basically focus to the point of trying to block out the aura from taking over.  Sometimes it works. It's a trick I got when I saw an eye doctor years ago because I was worried that I had some sort of eye condition but he explained the situation to me and I read up on it and took it from there.  

To deal with the headache I'd massage my temples if I couldn't get a nap and that could work wonders.  Sometimes eating believe it or not can help as it can give you some fuel to deal with the headache, but you should try to eat even if you feel nauseous because despite how you may feel sometimes food can do the trick too... It's a real PITA but it could be something that you may grow out of over time if you learn more about what triggers yours.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

YES! Those auras are a real b!tch. I try to read something and I can't read it. I look at someone or something and all I see is blur. My friend had a migraine one day, we were taking the bus together from school one evening and she could barely see me, but she at least recognized me though.

You're right about trying to eat something. My friend recommended eating something dry like crackers. I do love Ritz and Saltines so one day before meeting up with my driver friend I bought Saltines and a Ginger Ale (that also works wonders) and sat on one of those zero-gravity massage chairs in Brookstone in the mall. I hopped on the bus and took a nap on the trip into the city. By the time we got into Manhattan I felt completely better.

So food and rest does help tremendously. I'm just finally glad I know what it was that triggers my headaches, took about three years to find out but at least I know what it is so I can prevent them and if I do get a headache like that again, I can be able to alleviate the pain so it won't ruin my day.

Edited by LRG

YES! Those auras are a real b!tch. I try to read something and I can't read it. I look at someone or something and all I see is blur. My friend had a migraine one day, we were taking the bus together from school one evening and she could barely see me, but she at least recognized me though.

You're right about trying to eat something. My friend recommended eating something dry like crackers. I do love Ritz and Saltines so one day before meeting up with my driver friend I bought Saltines and a Ginger Ale (that also works wonders) and sat on one of those zero-gravity massage chairs in Brookstone in the mall. I hopped on the bus and took a nap on the trip into the city. By the time we got into Manhattan I felt completely better.

So food and rest does help tremendously. I'm just finally glad I know what it was that triggers my headaches, took about three years to find out but at least I know what it is so I can prevent them and if I do get a headache like that again, I can be able to alleviate the pain so it won't ruin my day.

Yep and most importantly you know that they're actually very common.  I used to think I was some sort of freak or something for getting them, but it's something I inherited apparently.  In my office my boss gets them and a colleague gets them as well.  The thing is a lot of folks don't talk about them...

================

Random thought... Well with the warmer weather comes the tourists... Not only in Manhattan but in Riverdale too...  <_<  Yesterday I stayed in Riverdale and was shocked to see so many tourists walking about... I would like to contribute it to Wave Hill, but in any event I hope this doesn't become too common.  There's always some during the warmer months, but the last thing I need is to leave Manhattan to escape the tourists to come home to more tourists...  <_<

Really don't feel like cooking dinner tonight...cereal for dinner it is...

Random thought... Well with the warmer weather comes the tourists... Not only in Manhattan but in Riverdale too... <_< Yesterday I stayed in Riverdale and was shocked to see so many tourists walking about... I would like to contribute it to Wave Hill, but in any event I hope this doesn't become too common. There's always some during the warmer months, but the last thing I need is to leave Manhattan to escape the tourists to come home to more tourists... <_<

100% tourist free here in Brownsville :lol:

Really don't feel like cooking dinner tonight...cereal for dinner it is...

100% tourist free here in Brownsville :lol:

LOL... Well consider yourself lucky... Riverdale is so quiet and suburban that I'm always rather amused to see tourists walking about up here.  Aside from Wave Hill, Fieldston and some historical properties, there isn't much to see up here unless you're into walking your dog, nature, parks or eating.

Yeah you have something similar to what I would get... I would get the "aura" which hangs around for about 15 - 20 minutes to the point to where you can barely see things (mine used to be focus in one eye at times), then the nauseous feeling and the headache... I would usually be lucky enough to get home and take a nap, but as I got older I started to manage them better and understand how to deal with them and what triggered them and now I get the aura maybe once a year if that and usually no headache if I don't get enough sleep or the weather is crappy out (i.e. rainy, cloudy) .  If you get the aura you should try to focus in on something and just basically focus to the point of trying to block out the aura from taking over.  Sometimes it works. It's a trick I got when I saw an eye doctor years ago because I was worried that I had some sort of eye condition but he explained the situation to me and I read up on it and took it from there.  

To deal with the headache I'd massage my temples if I couldn't get a nap and that could work wonders.  Sometimes eating believe it or not can help as it can give you some fuel to deal with the headache, but you should try to eat even if you feel nauseous because despite how you may feel sometimes food can do the trick too... It's a real PITA but it could be something that you may grow out of over time if you learn more about what triggers yours.

I went through massive migraine headaches since yesterday. I was vomiting this morning and I felt like I was going blind. Kitty had to call in sick for me. What caused it was work burnout and sleep deprivation against bipolar disorder.

I was working 13 hr shifts since Thursday through Sunday to set up the three offices for a firm (2000 computer strong network as I was telling you guys). I am seeing the doctor later. She made me take a combination of Klonopin (anti-anxiety drug in the class of benzodiazepines, Valium and Xanax is in the same class) and Tylenol to stop the migraines. I rarely go though this experiencing migraines but that's what happened my girl keeps on telling me. (She's the nursing student so she would know....) She's with me now watching me because she got scared with how bad the migraine was this morning, but under the medication I am feeling OK so here I am. But I must see the doctor later.

I guess I would add that the IT field is a VERY stressful field to work in. I think I said to mtattrain that there is something called biting the bullet. But I have to realize there is only so much a man's body can take mentally when it comes to his nervous system.

LOL... Well consider yourself lucky... Riverdale is so quiet and suburban that I'm always rather amused to see tourists walking about up here.  Aside from Wave Hill, Fieldston and some historical properties, there isn't much to see up here unless you're into walking your dog, nature, parks or eating.

Any hills in Riverdale you know of by the way? I'm due for a visit to the Bronx soon but not for buses...I'm in the mood to discover some new skating spots. I'm getting bored of Brooklyn and Staten Island, thought I'd expand my horizons a bit.

I went through massive migraine headaches since yesterday. I was vomiting this morning and I felt like I was going blind. Kitty had to call in sick for me. What caused it was work burnout and sleep deprivation against bipolar disorder.

I was working 13 hr shifts since Thursday through Sunday to set up the three offices for a firm (2000 computer strong network as I was telling you guys). I am seeing the doctor later. She made me take a combination of Klonopin (anti-anxiety drug in the class of benzodiazepines, Valium and Xanax is in the same class) and Tylenol to stop the migraines. I rarely go though this experiencing migraines but that's what happened my girl keeps on telling me. (She's the nursing student so she would know....) She's with me now watching me because she got scared with how bad the migraine was this morning, but under the medication I am feeling OK so here I am. But I must see the doctor later.

I guess I would add that the IT field is a VERY stressful field to work in. I think I said to mtattrain that there is something called biting the bullet. But I have to realize there is only so much a man's body can take mentally when it comes to his nervous system.

Overworking yourself can damage your body as well. I've been real exhausted lately and even getting seven or eight hours of sleep doesn't really do much for me. I have a day off coming this Sunday, my first day off in months. I'm probably gonna stay in, no buses, no skating. Just catching up on some good old sleep.

Any hills in Riverdale you know of by the way? I'm due for a visit to the Bronx soon but not for buses...I'm in the mood to discover some new skating spots. I'm getting bored of Brooklyn and Staten Island, thought I'd expand my horizons a bit.

Overworking yourself can damage your body as well. I've been real exhausted lately and even getting seven or eight hours of sleep doesn't really do much for me. I have a day off coming this Sunday, my first day off in months. I'm probably gonna stay in, no buses, no skating. Just catching up on some good old sleep.

Yeah I'm seeing this now. Working for two IT firms is now taking it's toll on my health, I should have not worked a 13 hr shift yesterday since I already built the network for the IT helpdesk dept and all it needs is diognostic testing at about 12 workstations out of 100 in this IT department. You know, we were talking last night before we went to sleep, she was telling me that if the field is that stressful, hey I have an unfinished degree in Nursing myself. I have only one year of coursework and clinicals combined to get my licence to practice in the medical field. I might go for it.

I think I might take a vacation soon.

All week I was only getting on average 3 hours of sleep. That's why I wasn't posting. I could'nt even read the threads because of the work burnout after running scripts and building computer workstations 13 hrs at a time. This contract is f**king crazy because of the pressure of meeting deadlines. I know stock brokers on the floor has the same problem. They don't live long lives. 

However from experience I know believe it or not nursing is actually not as stressful believe it or not

I'm 35 years now, I'd better slow down.

Hmm.... Where do I start... There are TONS of them all over but some of them are so steep that I get nervous just walking down them. I was walking down one during one of the snow storms and thought I was going to slip and hurt my @ss. lol They really are steep when I think about how many hills Staten Island has...

Anywho there is the hill that starts from 239th where Riverdale & Henry Hudson Parkway East meet by the Bell Tower that goes down.  Not sure I'd recommend that one though because it's steep and there's a lot of traffic.  There's another hill by West 236th closer to Fieldston Rd which is also steep off of Riverdale Avenue that leads you to Greystone/Waldo Avenues, and then on Waldo and 238th you have all of those bloody stairs down to Kingsbridge which may have hand rails for grinding if you will, though I can't recall off hand.  There's the winding hill in Spuyten Duyvil down by Kappock which meanders and slops from over by the Hudson River and down to Johnson where you have the long meandering hill towards Riverdale Avenue and the nice steep hill further up along Riverdale Avenue in Northern Riverdale... Then you have the hills in Spuyten Duyvil and North Riverdale by the MetroNorth stations... They're basically endless because they seem to run from North-South and East-West...

I see people actually biking up the hills along Riverdale Avenue and the Henry Hudson Parkway on weekends, but I haven't seen too many folks boarding, though I'm almost certain they exist because I see them walking around with the clothing and such.  I would guess that they must use one of the parks located west of the Henry Hudson Parkway... There's the Henry Hudson Park, Riverdale Park and the big park (Van Cortlandt Park as well and of course you have the hills in "downstairs" Riverdale over by Broadway from Fieldston.  Manhattan College Parkway has some crazy meandering roads with hills that you might like and that one IIRC isn't as steep as the others.  There are others too along Johnson and along Oxford but those are also pretty steep and/or meander so take your pick.  :lol: If it sounds like I keep mentioning the same streets it's because some of these streets start and continue in random spots since there is no street grid up here. I always get a chuckle when someone asks me where is Riverdale Avenue, then I point to it and they have no clue of which way to go because it stops for a while due to the Henry Hudson Parkway then continues.