Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Any hills in Riverdale you know of by the way? I'm due for a visit to the Bronx soon but not for buses...I'm in the mood to discover some new skating spots. I'm getting bored of Brooklyn and Staten Island, thought I'd expand my horizons a bit..

I know some I'm Manhattan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm.... Where do I start... There are TONS of them all over but some of them are so steep that I get nervous just walking down them. I was walking down one during one of the snow storms and thought I was going to slip and hurt my @ss. lol They really are steep when I think about how many hills Staten Island has...

Anywho there is the hill that starts from 239th where Riverdale & Henry Hudson Parkway East meet by the Bell Tower that goes down.  Not sure I'd recommend that one though because it's steep and there's a lot of traffic.  There's another hill by West 236th closer to Fieldston Rd which is also steep off of Riverdale Avenue that leads you to Greystone/Waldo Avenues, and then on Waldo and 238th you have all of those bloody stairs down to Kingsbridge which may have hand rails for grinding if you will, though I can't recall off hand.  There's the winding hill in Spuyten Duyvil down by Kappock which meanders and slops from over by the Hudson River and down to Johnson where you have the long meandering hill towards Riverdale Avenue and the nice steep hill further up along Riverdale Avenue in Northern Riverdale... Then you have the hills in Spuyten Duyvil and North Riverdale by the MetroNorth stations... They're basically endless because they seem to run from North-South and East-West...

I see people actually biking up the hills along Riverdale Avenue and the Henry Hudson Parkway on weekends, but I haven't seen too many folks boarding, though I'm almost certain they exist because I see them walking around with the clothing and such.  I would guess that they must use one of the parks located west of the Henry Hudson Parkway... There's the Henry Hudson Park, Riverdale Park and the big park (Van Cortlandt Park as well and of course you have the hills in "downstairs" Riverdale over by Broadway from Fieldston.  Manhattan College Parkway has some crazy meandering roads with hills that you might like and that one IIRC isn't as steep as the others.  There are others too along Johnson and along Oxford but those are also pretty steep and/or meander so take your pick.  :lol: If it sounds like I keep mentioning the same streets it's because some of these streets start and continue in random spots since there is no street grid up here. I always get a chuckle when someone asks me where is Riverdale Avenue, then I point to it and they have no clue of which way to go because it stops for a while due to the Henry Hudson Parkway then continues.

LMAO! That helps I guess. I don't mind the hills that meander (a lot of turns), but if a hill is way too steep, it'll take a while to get used to before I'm comfortable with it. Yesterday was my first time skating down the Williamsburg Bridge since last summer and I slowed myself down so many times. You should have seen me, dragging my foot constantly along the pavement so I wouldn't go too fast.

Thankfully I never had to bail off my board, like jump and run off onto a patch of grass or dirt to soften the impact if I should fall. But I guess I should prepare myself in case that does happen.

I also might go to Jersey and skateboard over the George Washington Bridge. If I have enough time, I may even skate from the GWB to the Bayonne Bridge. But that will be one hell of a trek though.

LMAO! That helps I guess. I don't mind the hills that meander (a lot of turns), but if a hill is way too steep, it'll take a while to get used to before I'm comfortable with it. Yesterday was my first time skating down the Williamsburg Bridge since last summer and I slowed myself down so many times. You should have seen me, dragging my foot constantly along the pavement so I wouldn't go too fast.

Thankfully I never had to bail off my board, like jump and run off onto a patch of grass or dirt to soften the impact if I should fall. But I guess I should prepare myself in case that does happen.

I also might go to Jersey and skateboard over the George Washington Bridge. If I have enough time, I may even skate from the GWB to the Bayonne Bridge. But that will be one hell of a trek though.

Yeah I was walking down a hill yesterday and noticed that as you come down the hill if one were going at a high speed you could easily go flying right over the wall and at that point you are pretty far up in elevation.  I believe Riverdale has one some of the highest elevations in the city and maybe that's why the cars go so slow up here at times in certain spots, though a little too slow for my tastes... One hill that you should definitely check out is one in Washington Heights... Broadway up by 187th heading towards Wadsworth... Seriously steep... It took me a few months to get used to the hills here and that's after having lived in Italy and Staten Island which as you know have pretty nasty hills too.  The ones here are just steeper and often times you have to take stairs after having walked up a hill so you really get a serious workout.

Yeah I was walking down a hill yesterday and noticed that as you come down the hill if one were going at a high speed you could easily go flying right over the wall and at that point you are pretty far up in elevation. I believe Riverdale has one some of the highest elevations in the city and maybe that's why the cars go so slow up here at times in certain spots, though a little too slow for my tastes... One hill that you should definitely check out is one in Washington Heights... Broadway up by 187th heading towards Wadsworth... Seriously steep... It took me a few months to get used to the hills here and that's after having lived in Italy and Staten Island which as you know have pretty nasty hills too. The ones here are just steeper and often times you have to take stairs after having walked up a hill so you really get a serious workout.

There's one in particular I found a few days ago called Ft. George Hill. Its in Ft. George (go figure lol) and it starts by like 192 St & Ft. Washington (near the (1) at 191) and it guys all the way down to Dyckman. Its long, steep, and it has turns in it.

Any hills in Riverdale you know of by the way? I'm due for a visit to the Bronx soon but not for buses...I'm in the mood to discover some new skating spots. I'm getting bored of Brooklyn and Staten Island, thought I'd expand my horizons a bit.

You know where Shakespeare Ave off 167th Street is in the Yankee Stadium area in the Bronx? (By the 167th Street station on the (4) ) It's an extremely steep hill. I see skateboarders hitting that hill alot. Really there are skaters by Yankee Stadium who go there alot in general. Major meet up spot at night.

I mean not just that hill but in the Yankee Stadium park. Tons of ramps so you can practice on your stunts. Go there with your crew, the dudes are mad cool there.

Edited by realizm

Any hills in Riverdale you know of by the way? I'm due for a visit to the Bronx soon but not for buses...I'm in the mood to discover some new skating spots. I'm getting bored of Brooklyn and Staten Island, thought I'd expand my horizons a bit.

I'm not a skater myself, but I know that many of the neighborhoods up in the Riverdale section of THE BRONX are privately owned/HOAs that hire security to patrol them. The rentacops aren't gonna be too happy about your visit...

But anyway, up in northern Riverdale there are some great hills, and they're public streets. The street that leads to the Metro North station for one is VERY hilly, and so are some others up there, felt like I was in San Francisco or something.

Well 91st and the UES on 2nd av has some steep hills. Though I dunno if the security guard would be happy about kids skateboarding down that closed street. Road might be bumpy (iirc) cuz it's brick. Sidewalk is a bit rough with pebbles imbedded. But just throwing it out there.

On the soda thing: yeah, I've been drinking nearly a can a day to stay awake and feel very drained of energy to the point I had to take a day or 2 to sleep it off. I have had splitting headaches before, but generally they were due to lack of sleep (like I wake up suddenly with only 4 or less hours of sleep). But I have had a few minor headaches lately and naps have helped. I've been drinking a bunch of water now to wash out most of the soda and it seems to be working as I feel more energy coming back and don't feel as lethargic as I used to.

Edited by Grand Concourse

There's one in particular I found a few days ago called Ft. George Hill. Its in Ft. George (go figure lol) and it starts by like 192 St & Ft. Washington (near the (1) at 191) and it guys all the way down to Dyckman. Its long, steep, and it has turns in it.

lol... It's all hell over there.  I dunno how those folks deal with those hills because in that area there seems like there is no escaping them like you can in Riverdale.  I mean the (A) train usually lets you out down the hill which is why I generally prefer the (1) but the rickety elevators make that option rather annoying as well.

I'm not a skater myself, but I know that many of the neighborhoods up in Riverdale are privately owned/HOAs that hire security to patrol them. The rentacops aren't gonna be too happy about your visit...

But anyway, up in northern Riverdale there are some great hills, and they're public streets. The street that leads to the Metro North station for one is VERY hilly, and so are some others up there, felt like I was in San Francisco or something.

lol... They aren't neighborhoods.... They're subsections of Riverdale and the only part that's private is Fieldston and that's basically open to the public except for a few times a year when only residents of Fieldston are allowed in.  The rest is all public, though Fieldston does indeed have it's own private security.  The subsections of Riverdale are: Spuyten Duyvil (Southern Riverdale), Central Riverdale, Fieldston and North Riverdale.  Personally I think he'd enjoy Manhattan College Parkway.  There isn't tons of traffic and there's a nice meandering hill that leaves you over by Van Cortlandt Park once you descend from Fieldston.  With Manhattan College being there nearby he may even find a place where skateboarders go. There are indeed some hills in North Riverdale but I find those more manageable than the ones in Spuyten Duyvil and especially in Central Riverdale.  Also more scenic areas too especially west of the parkway... North Riverdale is sort of blah... Reminds me too much of Woodlawn.  Charming don't get me wrong but doesn't have the same wow factor.

On the soda thing: yeah, I've been drinking nearly a can a day to stay awake and feel very drained of energy to the point I had to take a day or 2 to sleep it off. I have had splitting headaches before, but generally they were due to lack of sleep (like I wake up suddenly with only 4 or less hours of sleep). But I have had a few minor headaches lately and naps have helped. I've been drinking a bunch of water now to wash out most of the soda and it seems to be working as I feel more energy coming back and don't feel as lethargic as I used to.

That's crazy... Soda makes you more thirsty and dehydrates you so it's not too wise to drink a lot of that stuff.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Wow.... The Common Core test was EASY. Seriously our teachers kept saying "we're not sure if all of you will pass it" and were the best class in the school. But damn, it was like a regular state test but slightly more wordy.

Since when does the Costco food court have Pepsi?

I approve...

Since they wanted to cut costs from Coca Cola's contract. In fact a year or two back they temporarily stopped selling botteled and canned Coca Cola products as well.

I seriously doubt it, but if they happen to also carry Mtn Dew in their fountains I might renew my membership there, lol. Shamefully I'm addicted to that stuff for whatever reason.

Not really... Gives you a little boost and then you crash...

I'm not denying it either, but a boost of energy is better than none. Besides, I don't like to over do it and be Turbo all day. :lol:

Also for what it's worth I start my new job at Wingstop tommorow. I don't expect much, just want something on the side as I'm not making any money as it is. If you're in Brooklyn or Queens check them out sometime, they're alright. :D

I'm not denying it either, but a boost of energy is better than none. Besides, I don't like to over do it and be Turbo all day. :lol:

Also for what it's worth I start my new job at Wingstop tommorow. I don't expect much, just want something on the side as I'm not making any money as it is. If you're in Brooklyn or Queens check them out sometime, they're alright. :D

Never heard of them nor seen one before here in NYC but you're going to each so much chicken that you're going to think you became one, let alone soda...  Batter him up and get the fryer ready!  :lol:

Never heard of them nor seen one before here in NYC but you're going to each so much chicken that you're going to think you became one, let alone soda...  Batter him up and get the fryer ready!  :lol:

LOL, if anything I'll be so disgusted of fried food after smelling the damn chicken all day.

LOL, if anything I'll be so disgusted of fried food after smelling the damn chicken all day.

I know... So that means you're going to have to adapt a brand new diet... Arroz con pollo guisado...  :lol: Food prepard anyway but fried...

-----------------------

Random thought:

I must have the most idiotic UPS driver in all of New York.  I took off last week to get some packages after some of them had been stolen because the UPS driver delivered them to the wrong address the first time when I wasn't home even though he wasn't supposed to release the packages.   <_< I caught him red handed the second time delivering my stuff to the wrong place as I was waiting outside.  He didn't even look to see what address he was delivery to nor did he get a signature as the package required.  I stopped him and asked told him that he was delivering my stuff to the wrong address and had did so earlier in the week meaning that the first packages were stolen.  Then he goes well how do you know it was me, meanwhile he leaves the same stupid message with all of the tracking items... "Front Door" when in fact he leaves the packages inside of the main area.... Feeling stupid he goes and gets the second set of packages from the wrong address and hands them to me.  I had to call the shipper and have them re-send the first items again and even substitute some items because they sent out the last items the first time.  Fast forward to today.  I'm sitting here waiting for this moron to come and tracking the re-sent package and see that he's supposedly made an attempt.  No message on the door, bell was not buzzed, NOTHING.  I was fuming. I called UPS and demanded that my package be re-delivered today so now I have to sit here and wait and wait and wait...  <_< Unbelievable... I tell you... If you're ever suffering from low blood pressure, just try to have a package sent via UPS and that should solve that problem.

I know... So that means you're going to have to adapt a brand new diet... Arroz con pollo guisado...  :lol: Food prepard anyway but fried...

I've not suprisingly had that once or twice.

And in regard to your dilemma with UPS, you can expect that crap from UPS, FedEx, or even the USPS. For me it's a matter of who's (supposedly) faster. Besides, I only use services like that when ordering online (which is actually rare for me) or when I don't want something to be in the daily mail.

---------------------------------------------------------------

And I've been wondering, many are actually suprised I'm working, which made me raise the question of how much of a priority is earning personal income at a young age in this day and age?

Edited by Turbo19

I've not suprisingly had that once or twice.

And in regard to your dilemma with UPS, you can expect that crap from UPS, FedEx, or even the USPS. For me it's a matter of who's (supposedly) faster. Besides, I only use services like that when ordering online (which is actually rare for me) or when I don't want something to be in the daily mail.

---------------------------------------------------------------

And I've been wondering, many are actually suprised I'm working, which made me raise the question of how much of a priority is earning personal income at a young age in this day and age?

Well I order a lot online and hadn't of late because I didn't have a need for stuff, so I usually just have it delivered to my office, but this package is large and I don't feel like schlepping with it in bits and pieces... This guy supposedly has my phone number now, so let's see if he calls otherwise I'm going to have to have the package delivered elsewhere because there is no way in hell that I'm going all the way over by Throggs Neck to pick up that package.

As for folks working, well the job market is horrible today so some may be surprised that you were able to land something.  I used to only work during the summertime but I always something lined up from 15.  Either I found something or my mom got me something via her connections.

Well I order a lot online and hadn't of late because I didn't have a need for stuff, so I usually just have it delivered to my office, but this package is large and I don't feel like schlepping with it in bits and pieces... This guy supposedly has my phone number now, so let's see if he calls otherwise I'm going to have to have the package delivered elsewhere because there is no way in hell that I'm going all the way over by Throggs Neck to pick up that package.

As for folks working, well the job market is horrible today so some may be surprised that you were able to land something.  I used to only work during the summertime but I always something lined up from 15.  Either I found something or my mom got me something via her connections.

Lol, that's usually why I choose to go order/pick up in person.

And as for my "career" situation, I was out in the job market for the longest time (since around 2010), so this opportunity is truthfully meaningful to me.

Now it's just a matter of time before my entire paycheck goes to rent, utilities, and most important, obtaining a post secondary education. Life, :mellow:

Lol, that's usually why I choose to go order/pick up in person.

And as for my "career" situation, I was out in the job market for the longest time (since around 2010), so this opportunity is truthfully meaningful to me.

Now it's just a matter of time before my entire paycheck goes to rent, utilities, and most important, obtaining a post secondary education. Life, :mellow:

lol... Yeah and the thing is rent, utilities and college are becoming more expensive by the day... I graduated with 4 student loans... Paid off two... Two more to go...

On the UPS stuff, yeah I'm glad I don't live in an apartment and dealing with that crap. I don't want to take my chances about stuff being left outside the door or the box picked up by the wrong person. I dunno why, but they used to ask you to sign for the stuff and now they just drop the box off and are on their way. Is it a policy change now or is it depending on the item?

On the UPS stuff, yeah I'm glad I don't live in an apartment and dealing with that crap. I don't want to take my chances about stuff being left outside the door or the box picked up by the wrong person. I dunno why, but they used to ask you to sign for the stuff and now they just drop the box off and are on their way. Is it a policy change now or is it depending on the item?

I just spoke with the investigation department at UPS... The first package did not require a signature and therefore it was up to the driver to decide if the area was safe enough to leave the package (which it is).  There aren't that many of us in the building and I'm cool with everyone here, as we all look out for each other.  Aside from that most people are out working or whatever anyway so no one is here like that to be stealing packages.  The issue here is this guy is delivering my packages to wrong address and he is too busy BS-ing on the cell phone instead of paying attention to where he's delivering packages.  I caught him red handed last week delivering my stuff to another address nearby simply because he was too lazy to look at the actual address before delivering.  <_< 

He was embarrassed when I confronted him then and the worst part was he left my packages at another residence even though they required a signature because they were expensive items!  Then he has the audacity to say well it's all insured like I want to keep re-ordering this sh*t and taking the day off and best of all having to get different items because they're out of some things.  In the past I would order tons of stuff and never had a problem and that's because the UPS guy delivered to right address.  This guy is just a total idiot.  Now he supposedly delivered today earlier this morning... Didn't ring my bell, no message left, nothing, so now I filed a complaint and told them that he's not delivering to the right address and he's supposed to be coming back again today to deliver because I am not spending money to have my stuff delivered elsewhere due to his incompetence.  In short even if I lived in a house, I would still be dealing with the same nonsense.