Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

I just spoke with the investigation department at UPS... The first package did not require a signature and therefore it was up to the driver to decide if the area was safe enough to leave the package (which it is). There aren't that many of us in the building and I'm cool with everyone here, as we all look out for each other. Aside from that most people are out working or whatever anyway so no one is here like that to be stealing packages. The issue here is this guy is delivering my packages to wrong address and he is too busy BS-ing on the cell phone instead of paying attention to where he's delivering packages. I caught him red handed last week delivering my stuff to another address nearby simply because he was too lazy to look at the actual address before delivering. <_<

He was embarrassed when I confronted him then and the worst part was he left my packages at another residence even though they required a signature because they were expensive items! Then he has the audacity to say well it's all insured like I want to keep re-ordering this sh*t and taking the day off and best of all having to get different items because they're out of some things. In the past I would order tons of stuff and never had a problem and that's because the UPS guy delivered to right address. This guy is just a total idiot. Now he supposedly delivered today earlier this morning... Didn't ring my bell, no message left, nothing, so now I filed a complaint and told them that he's not delivering to the right address and he's supposed to be coming back again today to deliver because I am not spending money to have my stuff delivered elsewhere due to his incompetence. In short even if I lived in a house, I would still be dealing with the same nonsense.

LOL, you and UPS.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, you and UPS.

Guy finally came after 19:00 talking about he rang my bell...  <_< Funny thing is he knew immediately who I was as I was waiting outside.  I get the feeling he was the same jerk that delivered my stuff to wrong address last week... Anywho everything was in good shape luckily.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Oh I know a lot about UPS... Also about Fedex... I swear both companies have idiots... When I'm going to wait for a package, I make sure the front door downstairs is unlocked and I put a sign stating that I'm home so they won't try to leave with my package... Even then, they leave sometimes without coming upstairs... <_< I had to wait a day or two later to get my packages sometimes...

Thankfully, I haven't had any issues with either companies delivering my stuff.  :knock on wood: One of those times was my laptop.

I do understand that for a house, it doesn't make it any better, but at least if it's on the porch, it isn't likely that it will be placed at the wrong address. But it does help if there's one good neighbor to watch for your stuff.

I have also left a note a few times to leave it with that neighbor if I'm not around cuz I trust him with my stuff as he does for me.

Thankfully, I haven't had any issues with either companies delivering my stuff.  :knock on wood: One of those times was my laptop.

I do understand that for a house, it doesn't make it any better, but at least if it's on the porch, it isn't likely that it will be placed at the wrong address. But it does help if there's one good neighbor to watch for your stuff.

I have also left a note a few times to leave it with that neighbor if I'm not around cuz I trust him with my stuff as he does for me.

Lucky you... Folks with apartments aren't so lucky like myself... These guys at UPS/Fedex are really incompetent I tell you... Sometimes, they put little effort to get you your package... For some odd reason, my package is usually delivered really late (Around 6 to 7 PM...) That's usually the end of their shift... Sometimes, I need my stuff quickly... 

And I've been wondering, many are actually suprised I'm working, which made me raise the question of how much of a priority is earning personal income at a young age in this day and age?

You're 15, right? At that age, I'd say there are more kids not working, compared to those that are (partially because even part-time jobs are harder to come by), but it's definitely not out of the ordinary. I was tutoring little kids at 15 (I mean, I did things before that like shovel snow, tutor some friends for a few dollars, but that was my first time getting an actual paycheck).

You're 15, right? At that age, I'd say there are more kids not working, compared to those that are (partially because even part-time jobs are harder to come by), but it's definitely not out of the ordinary. I was tutoring little kids at 15 (I mean, I did things before that like shovel snow, tutor some friends for a few dollars, but that was my first time getting an actual paycheck).

I'm 16, going on 17 this August. To me this job is vital to what I have planned for my future.

I'm debating on taking community college courses this next year along with my final high school courses (senior year). Another thing is recovering a few lost credits. That's what I've planned for the short term.

For my long term outlook, I forsee myself moving out by the end of my senior year of high school (may consider a mortgage on a house if it would be in my best interest), eventually attending a four year university (as well as any additional education) and majoring in law and/or psychology.

Additionally, not so much reality but moreso something I'd like to do if possible would be to continue writing and playing music. My last project is very much dead and I've pawned or sold most of my equipment. While I have a heavy passion for music I wouldn't want it to be my sole source of income.

As you can see I'm way over my head here. It's no wonder I'm so f**ked up, sigh.

You should see how they handle packages before they even get to the truck, much less on the truck..... Even if you insure your package, there's no guarantee that your package will be handled with care (fragile labels are worthless) - In other words, your shit will still arrive broken if it's not packed properly... These f***in guys drive like maniacs on top of that -  believe me, I work a couple blocks from the ups & fedex facilities over along greenwich st in the village....

Also, with UPS/FedEx, if you're shipping something to someone within NYC, don't bother paying for overnight/1 day shipping... total waste of money....

Home deliveries, UPS is the worst - if you live in a private house & no one answers the bell, forget it... One of two things will happen.... You either get that yellow sticker on your door telling you you have to come a facility YOURSELF to pick up your own damn package (that's supposed to be done after 3 attempts, but these lazy fu**ers will do it on the first/only attempt), or two, your package will be left on the steps & you'd be SOL if your package gets stolen.... if you live in a complex w/ security, that package will be left with security & you better hope that MF-er isn't a thief.... if you live in a complex w/ no security, your package will likely be left any ole where - the protocol is, just as long as the package got to that address....

See, with UPS, they primarily care about daily commercial pickups/dropoffs to a company since that's where the money's at... home deliveries are on the bottom of the totem pole; which is why UPS is losing business to fedex ground on that end of it..... When you hear people dropping UPS for USPS (post office), you know there's a serious problem w/ UPS because the post office will deliver your package to you whenever.... Literally, whenever, as it's just a flat service.....

No question about it^

Basically I kinda have to take the day off when the package comes. I think one time I heard the knock at the door and didn't get to it fast enough and I was seeing the guy get into the truck. I flagged the guy down before he turned the engine on to drive away. But most of the time they do leave the box outside. So yeah, you can't leave the boxes to chance and need to stay on top of the delivery schedule, which is a major pita.

You should see how they handle packages before they even get to the truck, much less on the truck..... Even if you insure your package, there's no guarantee that your package will be handled with care (fragile labels are worthless) - In other words, your shit will still arrive broken if it's not packed properly... These f***in guys drive like maniacs on top of that - believe me, I work a couple blocks from the ups & fedex facilities over along greenwich st in the village....

Also, with UPS/FedEx, if you're shipping something to someone within NYC, don't bother paying for overnight/1 day shipping... total waste of money....

Home deliveries, UPS is the worst - if you live in a private house & no one answers the bell, forget it... One of two things will happen.... You either get that yellow sticker on your door telling you you have to come a facility YOURSELF to pick up your own damn package (that's supposed to be done after 3 attempts, but these lazy fu**ers will do it on the first/only attempt), or two, your package will be left on the steps & you'd be SOL if your package gets stolen.... if you live in a complex w/ security, that package will be left with security & you better hope that MF-er isn't a thief.... if you live in a complex w/ no security, your package will likely be left any ole where - the protocol is, just as long as the package got to that address....

See, with UPS, they primarily care about daily commercial pickups/dropoffs to a company since that's where the money's at... home deliveries are on the bottom of the totem pole; which is why UPS is losing business to fedex ground on that end of it..... When you hear people dropping UPS for USPS (post office), you know there's a serious problem w/ UPS because the post office will deliver your package to you whenever.... Literally, whenever, as it's just a flat service.....

Spent a few months working with the underpaid slaves (that's what i call them lol) and i can Co-sign with this...

I worked in the Maspeth hub. That building was where all the packages came to first from around the country before going to the smaller UPS facilities. Every package that gets delivered around the city goes through there first.

Moving along, my job there was to load the packages into the 18 wheelers which got sent to the smaller UPS places (ironically, my area was trucks going to Foster which i live 5 minutes away from).

On a heavy day, the belts get jammed and smaller boxes (mainly the Amazon boxes) get crushed by the bigger furniture boxes. Shit id real enough where boxes would fall off once in a while. And the loading in the truck itself isn't any better...

Boxes get stepped on, tossed, dropped, you name it, it probably happens. Fragile boxes get little to no regard with most people (i tried to take care of them but sometimes you forget).

If your package is a small box, it gets put in this special big bag with other small packages/business envelopes and tossed in the truck (no one likes them).

Craziest thing i seen shipped was an ATM machine which weighed more than i did but had to go in my truck

You should see how they handle packages before they even get to the truck, much less on the truck..... Even if you insure your package, there's no guarantee that your package will be handled with care (fragile labels are worthless) - In other words, your shit will still arrive broken if it's not packed properly... These f***in guys drive like maniacs on top of that -  believe me, I work a couple blocks from the ups & fedex facilities over along greenwich st in the village....

Couldn't have said it better myself...  As with your last paragraph, I've been doing just that... My last few orders, I chose USPS over UPS/Fedex simply because the latter two can't get their act right... With USPS, I don't have any real complaints simply because it's usually in my mailbox when I go and look on the days it's estimated to arrive...

No question about it^

Basically I kinda have to take the day off when the package comes. I think one time I heard the knock at the door and didn't get to it fast enough and I was seeing the guy get into the truck. I flagged the guy down before he turned the engine on to drive away. But most of the time they do leave the box outside. So yeah, you can't leave the boxes to chance and need to stay on top of the delivery schedule, which is a major pita.

That's what I would do too... When I know a package is supposed to come, I stay home...

One time, This UPS guy claims to have rung my doorbell but I was home all day and never heard anything... They left a note downstairs stating that they will try again next day... Let's just say UPS got an angry call from me... Even then, they still do the same thing...

Edited by NYCtrainfan01

Lucky you... Folks with apartments aren't so lucky like myself... These guys at UPS/Fedex are really incompetent I tell you... Sometimes, they put little effort to get you your package... For some odd reason, my package is usually delivered really late (Around 6 to 7 PM...) That's usually the end of their shift... Sometimes, I need my stuff quickly... 

Oh I know a lot about UPS... Also about Fedex... I swear both companies have idiots... When I'm going to wait for a package, I make sure the front door downstairs is unlocked and I put a sign stating that I'm home so they won't try to leave with my package... Even then, they leave sometimes without coming upstairs... <_< I had to wait a day or two later to get my packages sometimes...

Couldn't have said it better myself...  As with your last paragraph, I've been doing just that... My last few orders, I chose USPS over UPS/Fedex simply because the latter two can't get their act right... With USPS, I don't have any real complaints simply because it's usually in my mailbox when I go and look on the days it's estimated to arrive...

That's what I would do too... When I know a package is supposed to come, I stay home...

One time, This UPS guy claims to have rung my doorbell but I was home all day and never heard anything... They left a note downstairs stating that they will try again next day... Let's just say UPS got an angry call from me... Even then, they still do the same thing...

LOL... I remember years ago, I bought an expensive SONY TV in college (at that time those TVs were in :lol: ... How times have changed)... Nice 20 something inch SONY WEGA... Decided that I would ship that one home and get a smaller TV for my dorm... It arrived with a huge gash in it. I couldn't believe it... I thought I had packed it well... Anywho UPS had to take the TV back and I had to file a claim... Eventually got some money for it but still.  Since then I've had flat screen tvs shipped, laptops, clothes and shoes mainly shipped by UPS and the delivery guy on Staten Island was excellent. I've only had problems since I moved to Riverdale. I ordered a nice item from Williams Sonoma that I couldn't get in the store and the damn thing came dented.  <_<  I just returned it and got a refund.

I also order from another store which has tons of organic and natural products that I like and they shrink wrap everything so everything arrives packaged just fine, but yeah they do just throw stuff anywhere.  

As for FedEx, I remember I ordered some pieces from DWR.  I check on the shipping status and it says that one package had been delivered and so I call them stupified like where in the hell did my package get delivered and they let me call the driver and he says Oh I left it with a neighbor and I'm like what neighbor?!?!?!?  <_< I told him do not leave my stuff with any "neighbor" because at that time I didn't know anyone in the building.  Anywho when I stopped by my apartment later on that night to check up on things (I hadn't officially moved there at that point) and a note was left on my door and a dude downstairs had my package.  He's actually a nice guy but at that time I was looking at him like you better have my package. lol I eventually met up with the driver for my other item which I certainly didn't want left anywhere because it was an expensive piece so I had him deliver that one on a Saturday and he called me when he was coming and I met him downstairs.

What I don't get is why doesn't UPS offer Saturday home delivery? They apparently have it but you to request it from the shipper.   <_< FedEx has it but most of the places I buy from use UPS.  What I've started doing now though is just having my stuff sent to my office.  The delivery guy is excellent and I get my stuff very fast.  Goes back to what B35 said about them wanting to cater to businesses, which is certainly true.  Businesses are put first hence why you'll get your items faster usually in an office while at home they deliver those last.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

No question about it^

How many times has that song been sung... The contemplating of losing a day's pay for a package that might not even arrive on that day... I know, it sucks fam......

Spent a few months working with the underpaid slaves (that's what i call them lol) and i can Co-sign with this...

I worked in the Maspeth hub. That building was where all the packages came to first from around the country before going to the smaller UPS facilities. Every package that gets delivered around the city goes through there first.

Moving along, my job there was to load the packages into the 18 wheelers which got sent to the smaller UPS places (ironically, my area was trucks going to Foster which i live 5 minutes away from).

On a heavy day, the belts get jammed and smaller boxes (mainly the Amazon boxes) get crushed by the bigger furniture boxes. Shit id real enough where boxes would fall off once in a while. And the loading in the truck itself isn't any better...

Boxes get stepped on, tossed, dropped, you name it, it probably happens. Fragile boxes get little to no regard with most people (i tried to take care of them but sometimes you forget).

If your package is a small box, it gets put in this special big bag with other small packages/business envelopes and tossed in the truck (no one likes them).

Craziest thing i seen shipped was an ATM machine which weighed more than i did but had to go in my truck

Lol.... Don't remind me about those UPS bags.... Back when I did S&R (shipping/receiving), I would end up with rashes on my hands touching those things.... it's like the bags absorbed more of the germs than just the bare box did... I would hate when a bunch of packages would arrive w/ the bags on em.... As far as opening those bags, yup, total PITA - you better be handy with a boxcutter.....

I don't mean to laugh, but over there on houston/greenwich (the ups garages), I would head out to lunch w/ co-workers (walking up greenwich up one of the side streets to hit up this lunch buffet on hudson) & we would see ups workers kicking around packages like soccer balls & throwing them around like footballs as well....

As far as fragile boxes.... I've had one driver (haven't seen him the past couple months making deliveries back at the job.. dude was cool as hell) flat out tell me that the p/t-ers intentionally try to damage packages w/ fragile labels on em.... it's best that you not even bother with them & just pack the package properly.....

I've been hearing that reliability has increased with post office deliveries (I still can't believe it... lol)...

I'll ask the guys in shipping before I leave this place tonight.....

...What I don't get is why doesn't UPS offer Saturday home delivery? They apparently have it but you to request it from the shipper.   <_< FedEx has it but most of the places I buy from use UPS.  What I've started doing now though is just having my stuff sent to my office.  The delivery guy is excellent and I get my stuff very fast.  Goes back to what B35 said about them wanting to cater to businesses, which is certainly true.  Businesses are put first hence why you'll get your items faster usually in an office while at home they deliver those last.

Personally, I abhor UPS saturday delivery (shipper end & receiver end)....

You do have to request it from the shipper, that is true... We deal with some companies that outright refuse to ship saturdays, even if we offer to pay the delivery charges....

What end-users tend to not know about UPS saturday delivery are a few things:

1) the cost... there's a drastic difference b/w regular overnight delivery & overnight saturday delivery

2) saturday delivery is only available for "air" shipments... There are no ground saturday delivery shipments (this is how they get money off of you, especially if the shipper & receiver are in the same city or w/e - you're forced to pay for overnight charges at the very least, instead of ground charges at the very least)....

3) saturday delivery stickers - you better be anal about the shipper placing those stickers on your package.... Even if you paid for 1st day air (overnight) saturday delivery or 2nd day air saturday delivery, if the shipper don't put them stickers on em, there's a lower chance of you getting that package on that saturday (especially if you're passive; taking the wait & see approach, like most recipients of packages do - I mean, who wants to call UPS on a saturday? Lol)...

UPS guy don't see that sticker, you're screwed... There's just too high a volume of packages these guys handle during the course of a day for them to look & see that 1S (code for overnight saturday delivery) on the label of your package in-particular... I'm quite sure Fresh Pond will concur with that, as well.... Trust me, they don't care about *your* package.....

4) there are certain locations where saturday delivery isn't available (usually in deep rural areas in the middle of bumf*** nowhere).... this is a UPS policy & there's nothing that can be done to avert this.....

5) saturday delivery isn't available all times of the day...

IIRC, if your package hasn't arrived after like  3pm, the next delivery attempt will be on the next business day (which is monday)......

There's more, but I'll stop here....

You do have to request it from the shipper, that is true... We deal with some companies that outright refuse to ship saturdays, even if we offer to pay the delivery charges....

1) the cost... there's a drastic difference b/w regular overnight delivery & overnight saturday delivery

2) saturday delivery is only available for "air" shipments... There are no ground saturday delivery shipments (this is how they get money off of you, especially if the shipper & receiver are in the same city or w/e - you're forced to pay for overnight charges at the very least, instead of ground charges at the very least)....

3) saturday delivery stickers - you better be anal about the shipper placing those stickers on your package.... Even if you paid for 1st day air (overnight) saturday delivery or 2nd day air saturday delivery, if the shipper don't put them stickers on em, there's a lower chance of you getting that package on that saturday (especially if you're passive; taking the wait & see approach, like most recipients of packages do - I mean, who wants to call UPS on a saturday? Lol)...

UPS guy don't see that sticker, you're screwed... There's just too high a volume of packages these guys handle during the course of a day for them to look & see that 1S (code for overnight saturday delivery) on the label of your package in-particular... I'm quite sure Fresh Pond will concur with that, as well.... Trust me, they don't care about *your* package.....

4) there are certain locations where saturday delivery isn't available (usually in deep rural areas in the middle of bumf*** nowhere).... this is a UPS policy & there's nothing that can be done to avert this.....

IIRC, if your package hasn't arrived after like  3pm, the next delivery attempt will be on the next business day (which is monday)......

lol... What it comes down to is UPS workers don't like working on Saturdays and UPS in turn does everything possible to deter Saturday deliveries. I've never actually tried to get a package on Saturday because like I said usually my packages were waiting for me at home when I ordered something.  What I'm going to do now is just get my stuff delivered to the office. Much easier that way unless it's a really big package.

lol... What it comes down to is UPS workers don't like working on Saturdays and UPS in turn does everything possible to deter Saturday deliveries.

I've never actually tried to get a package on Saturday because like I said usually my packages were waiting for me at home when I ordered something.  What I'm going to do now is just get my stuff delivered to the office. Much easier that way unless it's a really big package.

That's what I was gonna include in that list also.....

I seldom ever order anything online anyway.... Last thing I bought online is my portable HD (hard drive) from NewEgg, and that was sometime in 2011... Damn thing is acting up on me, so I may have to get another one.... keeps locking up the computer, even on the smallest of file xfers.... from external to internal HD is no problem, but from internal HD to external HD is the problem lies... tryna move all my stuff off the thing before some type of HD failure occurs...

(maybe realizm will see this & chime in with his input, because I'm at my wits end with the thing)

Anyway, The suits at this place have this policy of "no personal shipments", but the women in sales & in finance have shit delivered here on the regular (personal favorite when this one chick had a whole exercise treadmill delivered here.. LMAO... What was even funnier was that she expected me & this other dude I worked with, help her take it back to her place after work ! Sometimes I miss working S&R...)... Some are even bold enough to bring stuff from home & have it shipped from the office (meaning, they'd incur no charges, since the company will pay for shipping.... in other words, gettin they shit shipped for free...)

Edited by B35 via Church

How many times has that song been sung... The contemplating of losing a day's pay for a package that might not even arrive on that day... I know, it sucks fam......

Lol.... Don't remind me about those UPS bags.... Back when I did S&R (shipping/receiving), I would end up with rashes on my hands touching those things.... it's like the bags absorbed more of the germs than just the bare box did... I would hate when a bunch of packages would arrive w/ the bags on em.... As far as opening those bags, yup, total PITA - you better be handy with a boxcutter.....

I don't mean to laugh, but over there on houston/greenwich (the ups garages), I would head out to lunch w/ co-workers (walking up greenwich up one of the side streets to hit up this lunch buffet on hudson) & we would see ups workers kicking around packages like soccer balls & throwing them around like footballs as well....

As far as fragile boxes.... I've had one driver (haven't seen him the past couple months making deliveries back at the job.. dude was cool as hell) flat out tell me that the p/t-ers intentionally try to damage packages w/ fragile labels on em.... it's best that you not even bother with them & just pack the package properly.....

I've been hearing that reliability has increased with post office deliveries (I still can't believe it... lol)...

I'll ask the guys in shipping before I leave this place tonight.....

IIRC, if your package hasn't arrived after like 3pm, the next delivery attempt will be on the next business day (which is monday)......

When the packages are coming of the belt on a heavy day, sometimes you're not gonna be able to see the special shipping type so that's why they give everyone scanners to scan all the boxes before going into the truck. Now the question if them actually scanning it is a different story...

I seldom ever order anything online anyway.... Last thing I bought online is my portable HD (hard drive) from NewEgg, and that was sometime in 2011... Damn thing is acting up on me, so I may have to get another one.... keeps locking up the computer, even on the smallest of file xfers.... from external to internal HD is no problem, but from internal HD to external HD is the problem lies... tryna move all my stuff off the thing before some type of HD failure occurs...

(maybe realizm will see this & chime in with his input, because I'm at my wits end with the thing)

Anyway, The suits at this place have this policy of "no personal shipments", but the women in sales & in finance have shit delivered here on the regular (personal favorite when this one chick had a whole exercise treadmill delivered here.. LMAO... What was even funnier was that she expected me & this other dude I worked with, help her take it back to her place after work ! Sometimes I miss working S&R...)... Some are even bold enough to bring stuff from home & have it shipped from the office (meaning, they'd incur no charges, since the company will pay for shipping.... in other words, gettin they shit shipped for free...)

LMAO... Too funny... I would never do that but I don't see the harm in having some items shipped but not a friggin' treadmill... My boss doesn't really care... I'd have replacement cards shipped there cell phones etc.  I mean things happen, and I try not to have stuff shipped there but it's either that or I take off because I do A LOT of online shopping mainly because I like specific products and these box stores often times are carry the cheap garbage from China, so for some items that I want made here or from Italy or whatever, I have to shop online, plus I get the items without any shipping usually and cheaper so it's worth it because they're always running specials online.  The advantage is if you know what you you might as well order it online because the markups are better... You're not paying for somebody's rent.  I remember going to Zabar's for these designer dishware from Finland... Zabar's was even more expensive than Williams Sonoma...  <_< I found the same exact items from Finland online up in Minnesota (big Scandinavian population up there so plenty of places up carried the items).  Free shipping and the price was just about half...  

It actually has... For me, it's more reliable... 

Sure is true... They also make more of an effort to get you your package. I got a package on Wednesday from USPS.. It was too big to fit in my box so the postal guy rang my bell and I came down.

Oh yeah, the postman makes much more of an effort to get you your package (when it's in his/her hands) than UPS & FedEx - That much I know...

It's the reliability of the "Priority" or their "Express" mail service (from the shipper to your local postal facility) was what I was getting at...  The analogy I had at the time was "USPS Express delivery is just as fast as McDonalds Express".... There was really no advantage in shipping your package via express (outside of the insurance of the package) over priority - Which is why many were (and still are, from what I've been told) advised to just use priority & save yourself the couple bucks b/c from shipper to receiver, the ETA is similar (if not better with priority)....

Express mail is supposed to be the equivalent of an overnight service (like UPS 1D || FedEx priority overnight), but there have been many horror stories w/ people expecting that their package arrive the next day - to later be hit with the cold hard truth that USPS isn't a guaranteed service.....

Oh yeah, the postman makes much more of an effort to get you your package (when it's in his/her hands) than UPS & FedEx - That much I know...

It's the reliability of the "Priority" or their "Express" mail service (from the shipper to your local postal facility) was what I was getting at...  The analogy I had at the time was "USPS Express delivery is just as fast as McDonalds Express".... There was really no advantage in shipping your package via express (outside of the insurance of the package) over priority - Which is why many were (and still are, from what I've been told) advised to just use priority & save yourself the couple bucks b/c from shipper to receiver, the ETA is similar (if not better with priority)....

Express mail is supposed to be the equivalent of an overnight service (like UPS 1D || FedEx priority overnight), but there have been many horror stories w/ people expecting that their package arrive the next day - to later be hit with the cold hard truth that USPS isn't a guaranteed service.....

It's funny you bring up the USPS "Express Mail" vs "Priority Mail" problem. If I'm in Brooklyn or on Lomg Island and I want to send a package to my home in NC I must stop and think if it's worth it. My family has a P.O. Box in NC. If I'm traveling down there and have something I may need ASAP when I arrive I have a choice. If possible I can pack it in my luggage if I fly or I can mail it if I can't pack the item(s). Express Mail is guaranteed for 2nd day delivery to that town. I have tested the system and mailed one package Express Mail and the other by Priority Mail. Same size packages from the same post office in New York at the same time. Guess what ? Both packages arrive at my NC post office at the same time on the same truck driven by a neighbor of mine who works for USPS.. Using the post office tracking system I can see that they leave the NY sorting facility at the same time and arrive at the facility down there at the same time. The difference is that the Express Mail is "guaranteed", except for weather or an act of God. I've also had my Express Mail payment refunded when they've missed their delivery time. I order many things from Newegg and Amazon and I've noticed that USPS is better at delivering iin NC than UPS is in NY. If I have a choice in the matter I'd go USPS, FedEx, UPS wherever I'm at.

That's the thing with having purchased items shipped online - it get can get damaged. It's happened to me

Defragment your HDD on your computer and the external HDD, just go to your search bar in the start menu and type "defragment". The 'disk defragmenter' program comes up, click on it and activate it. It may take anywhere from 30 min to 1 hour to run. Maybe longer, it depends on the state of the HDD you are dealing with. In some cases it can take all night.

Also on top of that if you right click on 'computer', then select the portable HDD listed, right click and click 'properties', click 'tools' and then under 'error checking' click 'check now' you can have Windows check for errors on the HDD. (You can get the disk defragmenter program from this method also, again defragment both the HDDs on the local machine and the portable HDD, do an error checking for both).

External drives that utilizes USB are usually somewhat slow when it comes to file transfers so it's to be expected to a degree. But if you do those two things it should overally increase the performance of the external HDD and the internal HDD on the local machine. Hoping that it is not failing on you and you may not have to trash the HDD in the can. Can't rule that out.

Hope this helps.

Edited by realizm