Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Please, I attempt to avoid FOX (and TV in general) at all costs.

I don't watch TV at all either. The internet, srtrictly for me. Even as far as in keeping up with the news because many sites offer news from an alternative POV that I find more factual, without the propaganda the white house press commitee tries to regulate with most media networks. Plus the fact that as a IT professional, obviously I would opt for the internet over TV any day of the year.

I eat, breathe, and shit the internet. Amen.

Oh yeah, it saves me the hassle of fighting with kitten over the remote control. lol.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't watch TV at all either. The internet, srtrictly for me. Even as far as in keeping up with the news because many sites offer news from an alternative POV that I find more factual, without the propaganda the white house press commitee tries to regulate with most media networks. Plus the fact that as a IT professional, obviously I would opt for the internet over TV any day of the year.

I eat, breathe, and shit the internet. Amen.

Oh yeah, it saves me the hassle of fighting with kitten over the remote control. lol.

LOL, for me I'm just uninterested in most of network programming. Haven't seen much in quality these days.

This is just so full of total win:

SEE: Seattle student hides Biggie Smalls lyric by using chemical elements in yearbook message Look out, Walter White, there’s a new badass science nerd in the lab. Meet Jessica Lee of Garfield High.

By Lee Moran / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 1:15 PM

yearbook19n-2-web.jpg Seattle student Jessica Lee's seemingly geeky high school yearbook message has gone viral after it was decoded — string together the chemical symbols of the elements listed — as being the profane lyrics from a Biggie Smalls track.

Is Jessica Lee the coolest science nerd of all time?

The Seattle student's seemingly geeky yearbook message has gone viral — after it was properly decoded as being the lyrics from a Biggie Smalls track.

RELATED: FIVE-STAR REVIEW: KANYE WEST'S 'YEEZUS'

Under her smiling portrait, Lee wrote: "Fluorine uranium carbon potassium bismuth technetium helium sulfur germanium thulium oxygen neon yttrium."

tv-notorious-big.jpg
MARK LENNIHAN/AP Rapper Notorious B.I.G., also known as Biggie Smalls (but born Christopher George Latore Wallace) in 1995. His 1997 murder is still unsolved.

At first glance, it appeared to be just a list of chemical elements — perhaps ones used is her favorite experiment.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/student-hides-rap-rip-yearbook-list-elements-article-1.1375824#ixzz2WavrFMzp

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/student-hides-rap-rip-yearbook-list-elements-article-1.1375824

Edited by realizm

Certaintly this article on Ms. Jessica Lee is going to look good for her on her resume and cover letter when she gets out into the working world. Really that's how people go places many times with positive commendations by the press such as this one by the NY Daily News, thanks to the hip hop heads out there on the net. lol.

Edited by realizm

If you make it to August 12th, you will become a senior member, finally.

Think that's how it works.

Yeah, it's annual, then once you hit your fourth you're at Veteran status.

Not that it makes a major difference, but I think I prefer my current title, as I got used to being one of the new guys around here. It gave me slightly more, leverage so to speak.

I have to concur with that. Really in general, not only the road but in all avenues of travel. Even for straphangers hitting the subways they will see a notable difference in commutes that are not as congested with passengers, and I imagine, less delays. That is until time September comes around, when people are back from vacation, going back to work and students back in the public schools, colleges and universities for the next one.

Ha, I've been off for nearly a month now.

Kind of feel bad for you guys.

You probably start earlier than we do, though. We usually start a little after Labor Day.

Though next year in college, we start in late August and finish at the end of May, so it's probably fewer days total than the NYC public schools. 

You probably start earlier than we do, though. We usually start a little after Labor Day.

Though next year in college, we start in late August and finish at the end of May, so it's probably fewer days total than the NYC public schools. 

Yeah, we get the same three months. As boring as it is, it's great to be on break already.

Out of curiosity, what college will you attend this upcoming year?

City College in Hamilton Heights (One of the advisors was trying to pass it off as the Upper West Side. SMH)

Whatever it takes to gain enrollments I suppose.

Speaking of which, how would your commute be now?

Yesss!!! That explains why traffic has been lighter... That means I can sleep in later.  :D

Subways are gonna be drastically lighter in the morning also....

That's the one positive I looked forward to, back when I used to take the (B) to work....

Yeah, I wonder how long would the commute from that part of SI to hamilton hgts is.... I would imagine over 2 hrs easy.....

-----

When I went there (CCNY) for 2 summers interning, the (2) from church to 96th was like an hour & 15 mins & the (1) from 96th to 137th was another 10 (some days I would get off at 125th to stop at mcdonalds for breakfast & walk to CCNY from there, but still).... The xfer b/w the (2) & the (1) in the morning was usually less than 2-3 mins; a lot of times it was instantaneous (that's the one thing I like about the 1; for the most part it's fairly reliable)....

riding the (1) from 137th to south ferry, I would guess that be a 45 min. ride alone....

City College in Hamilton Heights (One of the advisors was trying to pass it off as the Upper West Side. SMH)

lol.... I would've been like, wrong college pal (Columbia)....

side note: you do have some professors that teach at multiple schools... I had one like that at Devry; shit worked for me because he would let us out like 45 mins early (of a 3 hr class)....

Actually, the last day of school here in NYC is June 26th.

I'm aware of that but many kids skip out after the regents and all of that.  Traffic is already lighter.  Hell I remember one year I actually screwed up and missed my Math regents.  Teacher was pissed but I still got an 85 or 90. :lol:

Subways are gonna be drastically lighter in the morning also....

That's the one positive I looked forward to, back when I used to take the  (B) to work....

Yep... This morning though the regular BxM1 I get was extremely late. I caught a later bus and we were ahead of him and we made the stops in Inwood. I said what in the world did this guy do to be behind this guy because he drives like a snail.  We arrived at my stop at the same time.  I said well at least I had an extra 30 minutes of sleep in bed rather than sitting in traffic.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Whatever it takes to gain enrollments I suppose.

Yeah, I wonder how long would the commute from that part of SI to hamilton hgts is.... I would imagine over 2 hrs easy.....

-----

When I went there (CCNY) for 2 summers interning, the  (2) from church to 96th was like an hour & 15 mins & the  (1) from 96th to 137th was another 10 (some days I would get off at 125th to stop at mcdonalds for breakfast & walk to CCNY from there, but still).... The xfer b/w the  (2) & the  (1) in the morning was usually less than 2-3 mins; a lot of times it was instantaneous (that's the one thing I like about the 1; for the most part it's fairly reliable)....

riding the  (1) from 137th to south ferry, I would guess that be a 45 min. ride alone....

lol.... I would've been like, wrong college pal (Columbia)....

side note: you do have some professors that teach at multiple schools... I had one like that at Devry; shit worked for me because he would let us out like 45 mins early (of a 3 hr class)....

Depends which way I decide to go. If it's by ferry, then it'll probably be a shade over 2 hours, assuming no major delays. So far, I've always taken the (1) to Chambers, caught an express, and then transferred back to the (1) at 96th Street, and that took about 40 minutes or so.

The S92 to the ferry is about 30 minutes, the ferry itself is 25 minutes, and the rest is the waiting and walking.  

By express bus, I'd probably say about 75-90 minutes, depending on when I travel, and of course, assuming no major delays. I'd say the X17J is about 45 minutes to Manhattan. Then the subway is probably around 25 minutes or so, and then there's the walking and waiting is probably about 20 minutes. (So that adds up to 90 minutes). Going through Lower Manhattan on the X17A would likely take a little bit longer, since traffic can get pretty heavy on the SIE between say, Richmond and Bradley (then it starts to clear up, and of course after Slosson, there's the bus lane). They're actually extending that bus lane out to Richmond Avenue, though I'm not sure when that'll be done.

I remember when I was coming back with my mom, we took the shuttle- (D)- (Q)- (6)- (4)-X17 (but the first one was SRO, and she didn't want to stand, so we waited for the next one). We left at about 8:15 and got back at 9:45. Considering that I wouldn't have made all those transfers (I was actually aiming for the ferry that time, but my mom didn't want to walk down to the (1), and then I saw that my mom couldn't run for the ferry, so we took the express bus at the last minute), and I would've probably stood on the express bus, that means it would've likely been a solid 75 minutes.

Right now my schedule looks pretty good (I forget offhand, but I think it's something like 11AM - 5PM this term). So if I wanted to, I could probably take the ferry without getting too stressed out about it (Probably leave at 8, arrive around 10, and hang out at the library until class starts). But I'll try to see if I can take a job with the spare hours (like I told you guys, it looks like I have a position available), so I'll probably end up taking the express bus both ways and saving the time and stress.

BTW, I don't know how it was when you went, but right now there's a McDonald's at Broadway & 138th.

And yeah, I hope there are a few teachers who aren't sticklers for keeping us for every possible minute (well, ideally, all of them would be like that, but of course, that's unrealistic). Of the college classes I took so far at CSI, they were generally fairly lenient. As long as we covered whatever we were supposed to cover that day, they let us out when we finished.

I'm aware of that but many kids skip out after the regents and all of that.  Traffic is already lighter.  Hell I remember one year I actually screwed up and missed my Math regents.  Teacher was pissed but I still got an 85 or 90. :lol:

In that case, the last day of class was the 10th. With the Regents, they don't have classes on that day, so if you have a Regents, you can leave once you're done (or come in late once you're done). If you don't have a Regents, you can stay home.

Edited by checkmatechamp13