Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, I don't know how it was when you went, but right now there's a McDonald's at Broadway & 138th.

And yeah, I hope there are a few teachers who aren't sticklers for keeping us for every possible minute (well, ideally, all of them would be like that, but of course, that's unrealistic). Of the college classes I took so far at CSI, they were generally fairly lenient. As long as we covered whatever we were supposed to cover that day, they let us out when we finished.

Yeah I know there's one there just north of the subway entrance now (137th); noticed it a couple months back when I was on an M5....

I don't know when that mcdonalds opened up, but I can tell you that it sure as hell wasn't there back in 1997-98.....

If you didn't want lunch out of the school, finding a place to eat immediately around CCNY was problematic (that was one of the small gripes some students had about attending there)... It wasn't like say, Brooklyn College, where there's a plethora of fast food spots you can hit up).... When I interned @ CCNY, you were pretty much relegated to water dog carts (you know em as hot dog carts) & lunch trucks if you wanted outside food & aint wanna walk far..... btw, are those lunch trucks along Amsterdam & Convent still there? Them MF-ers used to make an absolute killing during lunch time; lines used to be at least 20 strong....

But yeah man, if I was hungry & didn't feel like walking to 125th/broadway after the day was done, I would hit up that mickey D's on 145th/broadway... We would dissipate at the campus bldg on 140th/convent (miss the security guard that would move the cones so that the M18 could pass; man that dude was cool as hell !.... the old lady that moved the cones on the 135th side was a total bitch though), so to walk from 140th to 145th was like nothin....

As far as professors, it's not like high school.... They're not gonna hold you to the last minute to let you out.... Shit, you can walk out anytime you want - It's college... (the mindstate from them is) You're grown.... Lot of professors don't even take attendance; they tend to slightly care more about tardiness than they do absences though; as constant tardiness disrupts their flow (so to speak).... You'll even get professors that'll chuckle at some student that throws up deuces & bounces..... I'm talking about professors in general, not necessarily the ones @ CCNY in-particular.... My personal favorite would be the students (at DeVry) that would ride the f*** out on some bragging ass professor, then pack up his/her stuff & just bounce - I would always note the professors reaction afterwards....

Basically what I'm gettin at is, if it's a 2 hr. class, a lot of professors will let you out 1/2 hour early.... if it's a 3 hr class, quite a bit of professors will let you out anywhere from a 1/2 hour to even an hour early..... What sucked, was the professors that would start exams at the last hour of the class..... Being in EET, most of my classes were 2 & 3 hours (when I went to devry & tci).... Believe me fam, college professors wanna GTFO that classroom just as much as you, the student do.... You'll come to find that out first-hand.

With HS teachers, it felt like the opposite (like they wanted to keep you in class, even til well after the bell)....

As far as professors, it's not like high school.... They're not gonna hold you to the last minute to let you out.... Shit, you can walk out anytime you want - It's college... (the mindstate from them is) You're grown.... Lot of professors don't even take attendance; they tend to slightly care more about tardiness than they do absences though; as constant tardiness disrupts their flow (so to speak).... You'll even get professors that'll chuckle at some student that throws up deuces & bounces..... I'm talking about professors in general, not necessarily the ones @ CCNY in-particular.... My personal favorite would be the students (at DeVry) that would ride the f*** out on some bragging ass professor, then pack up his/her stuff & just bounce - I would always note the professors reaction afterwards....

Basically what I'm gettin at is, if it's a 2 hr. class, a lot of professors will let you out 1/2 hour early.... if it's a 3 hr class, quite a bit of professors will let you out anywhere from a 1/2 hour to even an hour early..... What sucked, was the professors that would start exams at the last hour of the class..... Being in EET, most of my classes were 2 & 3 hours (when I went to devry & tci).... Believe me fam, college professors wanna GTFO that classroom just as much as you, the student do.... You'll come to find that out first-hand.

With HS teachers, it felt like the opposite (like they wanted to keep you in class, even til well after the bell)....

lol... It's also the idea that no one is forcing you to be there.  If you're in college, you chose to go there, so if you're not interested in coming to class, then don't come.  I mean people that waste their time and money going to college are just complete idiots.  

They (the professors) get paid just the same. I'm the same way with my classes.  I don't currently teach group classes, but I teach/tutor individuals privately.  I currently have a student that is habitually late. He's always apologizing for being late and I always tell him it's ok since I know he has a hectic schedule.  I always say to myself, hey listen, I get paid just the same so if you need to cancel because of your wife or family issues or what have you, it is what it is. I already know the information.  You're the one that is asking for the help so either you want the help or you don't.

I have to chuckle at times because he's older than me and I feel as if I have to babysit because during the sessions, sometimes he complains about having to read long articles.   :lol: Just like a little kid... He hates having to read.

When I was teaching groups though it was always cute to hear some adult say OH NO, HOMEWORK?? My response always was, well it's up to you if you don't want to do it because I already know the information. :lol:

Having been a TA of a intro. college class, when I compare that class to other classes I've taught, I'd say the adults can be just as bad as the average college kids with their needing to have their hand held.

My main pet peeve is when I'm speaking no one else speaks because either I'm teaching the class or you can come up and teach it, so I have had times during this one Italian class I was teaching where I stopped the class and asked if the student wanted to teach the class because it's like Christ stop talking over me already!

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yeah I know there's one there just north of the subway entrance now (137th); noticed it a couple months back when I was on an M5....

I don't know when that mcdonalds opened up, but I can tell you that it sure as hell wasn't there back in 1997-98.....

If you didn't want lunch out of the school, finding a place to eat immediately around CCNY was problematic (that was one of the small gripes some students had about attending there)... It wasn't like say, Brooklyn College, where there's a plethora of fast food spots you can hit up).... When I interned @ CCNY, you were pretty much relegated to water dog carts (you know em as hot dog carts) & lunch trucks if you wanted outside food & aint wanna walk far..... btw, are those lunch trucks along Amsterdam & Convent still there? Them MF-ers used to make an absolute killing during lunch time; lines used to be at least 20 strong....

But yeah man, if I was hungry & didn't feel like walking to 125th/broadway after the day was done, I would hit up that mickey D's on 145th/broadway... We would dissipate at the campus bldg on 140th/convent (miss the security guard that would move the cones so that the M18 could pass; man that dude was cool as hell !.... the old lady that moved the cones on the 135th side was a total bitch though), so to walk from 140th to 145th was like nothin....

There are a few hot dog stands along 138th, but I only recall seeing a few food trucks along Amsterdam, and none on Convent.

With the College Now classes that I took at CSI (and Kingsborough, but the physical classes were at my school), the higher-ups actually wanted attendance to be factored into your grade, and a certain number of absences would result in a failing grade. But the good thing was that the hardest part was showing up for the most part. (That, and the professors didn't follow that down to the letter)

Yeah, some of the classes I'm being forced to take even though they're not part of my major. So if they're not taking attendance, and it's an easy class, I'll probably just show up on the days of the tests. I talked to a few older students about attendance, and they say it varies from professor to professor. 

Edited by checkmatechamp13

lol... It's also the idea that no one is forcing you to be there.  If you're in college, you chose to go there, so if you're not interested in coming to class, then don't come.  I mean people that waste their time and money going to college are just complete idiots.  

They (the professors) get paid just the same. I'm the same way with my classes.  I don't currently teach group classes, but I teach/tutor individuals privately.  I currently have a student that is habitually late. He's always apologizing for being late and I always tell him it's ok since I know he has a hectic schedule.  I always say to myself, hey listen, I get paid just the same so if you need to cancel because of your wife or family issues or what have you, it is what it is. I already know the information.  You're the one that is asking for the help so either you want the help or you don't.

I have to chuckle at times because he's older than me and I feel as if I have to babysit because during the sessions, sometimes he complains about having to read long articles.   :lol: Just like a little kid... He hates having to read.

When I was teaching groups though it was always cute to hear some adult say OH NO, HOMEWORK?? My response always was, well it's up to you if you don't want to do it because I already know the information. :lol:

Having been a TA of a intro. college class, when I compare that class to other classes I've taught, I'd say the adults can be just as bad as the average college kids with their needing to have their hand held.

My main pet peeve is when I'm speaking no one else speaks because either I'm teaching the class or you can come up and teach it, so I have had times during this one Italian class I was teaching where I stopped the class and asked if the student wanted to teach the class because it's like Christ stop talking over me already!

Yep, that's what I'm gettin at.... You're grown, no one's forcing you to sit up in a college classroom.....

The kids that blow their parents money going to "party schools" & take up BS majors on top of it just to experience what they deem the "college life", I also find to be nothing short of dumb..... These are the same people I don't wanna hear boo-hooing about not finding employment, but that's a whole 'nother topic......

As far as talking over people, I refuse to do it in any aspect/setting.... I see it as a complete waste of energy.

My lady calls it "shutting down" when I refuse to get into a pointless argument, but the one thing I will have is peace of mind when I remove myself from the situation.... See, offline, I don't bother arguing with people because there's this stupid logic ppl. tend to have & believe that involves (well, to summarize it) - the loudest talker being the correct talker..... Loud-talking someone is nothing more than an attempt at intimidation..... Talking over people is a blatant sign of disrespect....

As far as teaching goes, well there's a myriad of reasons I wouldn't consider that profession..... You just listed a couple of them.

There are a few hot dog stands along 138th, but I only recall seeing a few food trucks along Amsterdam, and none on Convent.

With the College Now classes that I took at CSI (and Kingsborough, but the physical classes were at my school), the higher-ups actually wanted attendance to be factored into your grade, and a certain number of absences would result in a failing grade. But the good thing was that the hardest part was showing up for the most part. (That, and the professors didn't follow that down to the letter)

Yeah, some of the classes I'm being forced to take even though they're not part of my major. So if they're not taking attendance, and it's an easy class, I'll probably just show up on the days of the tests. I talked to a few older students about attendance, and they say it varies from professor to professor. 

lol, getting rid of all those lunch trucks on convent... there used to be at least 5-6 of em lined up b/w 135th & 140th....

There were more that used to be on convent then there used to be on amsterdam..... guess there was too much competition for so little ppl. to buy from them w/ today's economy, from kids on a college type budget to boot :lol:

I can see why they wanted attendance factored in, because they still had that *this is still a high school* mindset, even though college courses are being taught.....

When I mentioned most of my classes being 2-3 hrs, I wasn't hinting towards having to put up with classes that weren't a part of my major.... But since you bring it up, yeah, sometimes that's what I would do (for classes I hated) - show up on the week leading up to the day of a test (as well as the day of the test obviously)..... I didn't make a big stink of taking too many BS classes (esp. to the tune that a lot of college kids & graduates tend to) because I didn't go to a CUNY/SUNY school - Where that is far more of a problem compared to going to a technical school..... Never got to experience some class being taught in an auditorium w/ hundreds of students either & I'm glad I didn't.....

CUNY's factor in attendance.  Some professors in CUNY's don't give a damn.  But CUNY's guidelines suggest one more hour of given credit hours is the tolerable attendance.  Meaning you can be absent for 5 hours of class time if you credit hours is 4.

Going back to what was going on with me and Port Authority Police at EWR the other week, it turns out because my mom unfortunately cooperated with everything, including letting the PAPD detectives search my belongings we have lost basically all rights to sue or complain about the incident.

At the time, the detectives were being extremely threatening and intimidating, I can't blame this on her really, but I can't help but feel like I was sold out by my own mother in a criminal investigation against her own son (which, legally, is exactly what that was). Thankfully she knows now not to let them do that again, but it's still sad that PAPD is getting away with this. I was treated like a hardcore criminal for simply walking into a public building.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Going back to what was going on with me and Port Authority Police at EWR the other week, it turns out because my mom unfortunately cooperated with everything, including letting the PAPD detectives search my belongings we have lost basically all rights to sue or complain about the incident.

At the time, the detectives were being extremely threatening and intimidating, I can't blame this on her really, but I can't help but feel like I was sold out by my own mother in a criminal investigation against her own son (which, legally, is exactly what that was). Thankfully she knows now not to let them do that again, but it's still sad that PAPD is getting away with this. I was treated like a hardcore criminal for simply walking into a public building.

Oh please.  You know you go there for pictures.  Let's stop the pretending is if you go to these places to take a stroll. LOL  These days the terrorists are getting younger and younger and more are being American grown, so they really can't take any chances.  This is the post 9/11 world we're in now.  It sucks, but if we don't do something to protect Americans we'll have more Boston massacres on our hands and you can thank the crazy terrorists for stripping your rights away.

Oh please.  You know you go there for pictures.  Let's stop the pretending is if you go to these places to take a stroll. LOL  These days the terrorists are getting younger and younger and more are being American grown, so they really can't take any chances.  This is the post 9/11 world we're in now.  It sucks, but if we don't do something to protect Americans we'll have more Boston massacres on our hands and you can thank the crazy terrorists for stripping your rights away.

Via, if you aren't being sarcastic in the slightest, then I lost all agreement with you on this regard.

Via, if you aren't being sarcastic in the slightest, then I lost all agreement with you on this regard.

Nope, not being sarcastic at all.  Hey I witnessed 9/11 first hand along with how the country and the Metropolitan area in particular changed into a mini war zone.  Police officers in gear with machine guns outside of Macy's on 34th street.  This is what the events of 9/11 have created.

Nope, not being sarcastic at all.  Hey I witnessed 9/11 first hand along with how the country and the Metropolitan area in particular changed into a mini war zone.  Police officers in gear with machine guns outside of Macy's on 34th street.  This is what the events of 9/11 have created.

If anything this is how terrorists want you to be living your life, in paranoia. Understandably many people, especially in the NYC area experienced 9/11 first hand, but you can't let one event dictate how we as a country operate.

If anything this is how terrorists want you to be living your life, in paranoia. Understandably many people, especially in the NYC area experienced 9/11 first hand, but you can't let one event dictate how we as a country operate.

The first plane actually flew over my school (I lived on the Lower Eat Side back then) and you don't see me living in fear

The first plane actually flew over my school (I lived on the Lower Eat Side back then) and you don't see me living in fear

Well that's what I'm trying to get through here.

All these precautions for the majority are unnecessary.

I have a number of announcements to make. It will make you cringe. I just want to let you ppl know, so I can move on.

1) I am back in NYC, in Bay Ridge NY. Thank God.

2) My uncle pulled a gun on me and tried to shoot me In MD. He is now in prison on charges of attempted murder.

3) I ended my relationship with Keiko with finality, forever. She disapeared, and I am assuming she is in Japan. I have recieved an email from her mother this morning. She had an abortion. I lost my child. It's apparent she was using me for my money. I will stop here, I am still in shock. I may attempt to start a civil lawsuit and sue this bitch for damages. f**king whore.

4) I quit one IT firm, still with the other, they know what happpened, they will offer me a new contract. In NYC. Most likely the NYDOE but at a different location as a helpdesk tech lev 3, that's one of the options. However I will be changing careers. I will enter the Nursing program at BMCC.

Will this let me down? IT WILL NOT. I am too strong for this. I went through too much trials in my life and the word quit is not in my vocabularly. For one thing, I will continue to participate and I am here in NYCTF to stay. However I will take a break because I am grieving over my loss of my child.

I will be dating again soon, but for now I will need time to think and recover from the severe emotional trama. This situation is f**ked up beyond belief. Too strong for this. I refuse to give up. I will move on.

5) When I return, I will be better than ever. This entire community will find out who I really am. And I will start to railfan and post pics. I will also reveal my identity in full. You will see who I really am in the "pictures of yourself" thread and restart a new FB account.

I will return. That's a promise. And all of you will eventually meet me in person. I will update my profile soon.

I just need time before I return tom NYCTF. OK I must go, I will be OK people, don't worry about me. Thanks for listening.

I am too strong for this...... I will not give up. I will keep it moving.

I have a number of announcements to make. It will make you cringe. I just want to let you ppl know, so I can move on.

2) My uncle pulled a gun on me and tried to shoot me In MD. He is now in prison on charges of attempted murder.

3) I ended my relationship with Keiko with finality, forever. She disapeared, and I am assuming she is in Japan. I have recieved an email from her mother this morning. She had an abortion. I lost my child. It's apparent she was using me for my money. I will stop here, I am still in shock. I may attempt to start a civil lawsuit and sue this bitch for damages. f**king whore.

4) I quit one IT firm, still with the other, they know what happpened, they will offer me a new contract. In NYC. Most likely the NYDOE but at a different location as a helpdesk tech lev 3, that's one of the options. However I will be changing careers. I will enter the Nursing program at BMCC.

Will this let me down? IT WILL NOT. I am too strong for this. I went through too much trials in my life and the word quit is not in my vocabularly. For one thing, I will continue to participate and I am here in NYCTF to stay. However I will take a break because I am grieving over my loss of my child.

I will be dating again soon, but for now I will need time to think and recover from the severe emotional trama. This situation is f**ked up beyond belief. Too strong for this. I refuse to give up. I will move on.

5) When I return, I will be better than ever. This entire community will find out who I really am. And I will start to railfan and post pics. I will also reveal my identity in full. You will see who I really am in the "pictures of yourself" thread and restart a new FB account.

I will return. That's a promise. And all of you will eventually meet me in person. I will update my profile soon.

I just need time before I return tom NYCTF. OK I must go, I will be OK people, don't worry about me. Thanks for listening.

Mark, let me start off by saying I'm so sorry you had to go through with all this. It's not the first time you've been in a situation like this, so there's no doubt in my mind that you'll pull through, but you deserved so much better, I mean much better.

I was fully confident that you had your life planned out as you wanted it, so this comes as a major shock to me, never mind how you're coping as I personally can't fathom what you're going through right now.

So first off, you're in Bay Ridge. Are you staying with anyone right now, or are you dealing with stuff on your own for now?

Second, I know first hand how it feels to have family turn on you in such a way, so I know it's hard to deal with this crap right now. Whether or not you agree with this (from what I read it seems like you do) It's clear that he deserves to be in prison.

Third, I'm so sorry you lost your child and I could never imagine how you feel as nothing compares to that. And about Keiko, I won't diverge further as you've clearly expressed your feelings for your now ex. A major shame it didn't work out.

Fourth, I'm glad to hear you are committed to continue progressing forward in your life, damn everyone else. As I've stated, I hold no doubts.

Fifth, partake in discussion whenever you are ready. Clearly you've been through a lot and this is obviously not on your list of priorities, nor does anyone else believe it should be one. Feel free to take time off of here, and the end, just stay safe.

Once again, I must say I cannot fathom what you're going through right now. What an experience this must be like. As it stands, I'm just someone online 2700 miles away, so truly I can't offer much in the means of support, but if you ever want to shout out or discuss anything I'm here. Take some time off and return as a improved and determined individual.

With great regards,

Horacio Hernandez

Wow... This is a whole lot of F--- up stuff bro... How can your uncle pull a gun on you? That's suppose to be your family and that happens...

The worst has to be losing your child... I'm sorry that happened...

Stay strong bro! I hope you feel better soon!

Edited by NYCtrainfan01