Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it was about safety, it should've been shut down much earlier then. Its not the only tower ride of its kind and is useless if people cant ride it to the top. The wonder wheel is now the main way of seeing the area from the top (without a helicopter or that windmill ride next door at screamzone).

Well you cant say "if it was about safety", because thats clearly the reason why they closed it down...i used to live in coney island...i know there are other rides like that...but this one was having problems...some engineering problem i guess...and like i said...it was just sitting there out of service because its a brooklyn landmark...they didnt want to remove it, but since its now having risk of falling, now its officially coming down piece by piece

Why the hell did I see a Mr. Softee truck parked in front of Avis Rentacar at JFK?

Lol that's like me seeing an Avis Hertz airport shuttle near my house...and I live in Brownsville

Here's the picture...

1009426_10200961688878791_1216347161_o.j

...right there a block south of Sutter Av under the (L)

Edited by Fresh Pond

Does anyone have DVR Plus from Optimum? I hate it! Really sad that the stand-alone DVRs aren't available for us in the Bronx.

I wish I could help you... I don't trust that DVR crap for anything.  If I can't record straight from the TV, I'm waiting for an online version or just better off not watching it.  I do have an HD video recorder (Hauppauge PVR) but considering I have no cable in my room and most shows I can find online, I just use it to record my gameplays.

Dvr can be good and bad. Fios, they don't automatically record the whole show like what twc does (i think). Sometimes you can get lucky as if you missed the first few minutes of a show, those minutes would be recorded. There are also times when you schedule a time, the show gets cut off by some minutes at the start and/or end. If you record back to back shows, theres a few second gap, so that also pisses me off. I dont have the time to manually set the time and thats the point of the select and 'record' so i can do it quickly.

Well personally without getting into technicalities, I have preference for internet surfing over TV anyway, anyday. The Dvr feature I nnever found myself having to use it too much for FiOS TV, my only complaint is that if the allotted memory space is full the shows recorded is automatically deleted. Another thing that I find annoying is that one time (when I had a FiOS bundle out of state) the live TV started freezing, a pixelation problem and other times no sound. I never experienced this nonsense with broadband cable internet when I had it.

I've talked with Verizon and it will be installed soon, after that I will keep the wireless broadband connection in case I am internet surfing on the road but definitely FiOS in my new home in Bay Ridge. 

=

Will definitely need it in the Fall, (FiOS, and not wireless broadband)  for studying (youtube, google for study sites) as I begin my career change from IT to healthcare, I will start to repair my GPA and finish my Nursing degree in a CUNY school starting this Fall, I only have a year and a /12 of coursework and I may not do it at BMCC after all, just transfer my credits.

After that I will be saving lives and making serious money in a traditional field that is not dog eat dog as in the IT field. I am single now, and will take full advantage on it, for me. Becoming a registered nurse, this is my dream. And I will make it a reality.

After that as I've said in a recent status update, moving ahead, not looking back and indeed the sky's the limit. Being a nurse saving lives and gaining my monetary rewards, that is my goal. Then I can take care of my parents as they become senior citizens as I live out my life as I am not getting any younger myself. Many fellow IT professionals actually agree that I am making the right move as the IT field is not as good as it was before, it is a horrible field to work in now, and many will tell you if considering IT, DON'T DO IT! Not the right time, in a shattered American economy.

*whew* long winded post, had alot to say on two subjects, but yeah, FiOS is the way to go, and yeah healthcare and medical is the way to go, I am pretty much done with IT. Just 1 and 1/2 more years and I will be a RN guys! So excited!

@Turbo19 - See the problem is people don't know what the word opinion is.  They only seek positive comments.  That's the problem I have to say a lot of people face.

I have to agree with this. With my ideas I don't want positive comments, I want to post my ideas and want to hear what people think about them, whether they agree or disagree with them.

Anyone here follow Soccer/Football?

I don't follow it, but I'm a casual fan (except for that MLS garbage)..... I saw that Brazil/Spain matchup they (Brazil) won 3-0 on sunday, and I watched the repeat of the Spain/Italy matchup (which is how Spain went on to face Brazil this past sunday) which ended 7-6 on penalty kicks.....

I'm moving to Long Island and I'm kind of pissed about it...

But at least I can ride NICE Bus everyday.. yay! (sarcasm)

Why are you moving?  I loved life out here until I had to try to get a driver's license and the outcome of that was so godawful...

And thank you again, Failed-vision, for making me lag out of every last game online.  300 ms of ping at the least, even simple sites like buschat are taking at least 10 seconds to load.  Nothing is on, my torrent finished in the afternoon, and even with my sister and parents on their devices I can still play games online with barely any issues.  So what the hell is the cause this time?

Edited by Joel Up Front

Why are you moving?  I loved life out here until I had to try to get a driver's license and the outcome of that was so godawful...

And thank you again, Failed-vision, for making me lag out of every last game online.  300 ms of ping at the least, even simple sites like buschat are taking at least 10 seconds to load.  Nothing is on, my torrent finished in the afternoon, and even with my sister and parents on their devices I can still play games online with barely any issues.  So what the hell is the cause this time?

I'm moving because of renting issues in my current house. I'm not gonna be in Nassau for long, as hopefully, I'm gonna get into a SUNY school (preferably Stony Brook) and go live on campus for fall 2014.

This is out in Long Island?!  I'm actually doing fairly well with cable. (Optimum is my provider at the moment.)  Never had a hiccup with them yet.

I'm moving because of renting issues in my current house. I'm not gonna be in Nassau for long, as hopefully, I'm gonna get into a SUNY school (preferably Stony Brook) and go live on campus for fall 2014.

Stony Brook is nice, good luck!

Likely because Staten Island's infrastructure is old as hell and has rarely if ever been updated.

Also possibly because of saltwater corrosion on the grids, transformers, and other Con Edison infrastructure on SI as the grand result of the devastation Hurricane Sandy brought on NYC. Staten Island was hit viciously by the hurricane, as bad as downtown Manhattan and the Rockaways. Let me not forget South Brooklyn.

Edited by realizm

Also possibly because of saltwater corrosion on the grids, transformers, and other Con Edison infrastructure on SI as the grand result of the devastation Hurricane Sandy brought on NYC. Staten Island was hit viciously by the hurricane, as bad as downtown Manhattan and the Rockaways. Let me not forget South Brooklyn.

Well that's a reason as well, but Con Ed did nothing for most of the city's deteriorating infrastructure directly after Sandy. That's on them.

It was soo hot last night...it finally came on at 6 something

Oh right the humidity. Had I known that would've explained it. Likely everyone and their mother was running the AC last night if they had one. Of course the power grid would have crapped out.

Same thing used to happen every weekend where I'm at until they went and replaced the lines underground.

Oh right the humidity. Had I known that would've explained it. Likely everyone and their mother was running the AC last night if they had one. Of course the power grid would have crapped out.

Same thing used to happen every weekend where I'm at until they went and replaced the lines underground.

Oh ok that makes sense