Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Windows 8 lacks the versatility in the business sector that Windows 7 offers and the reasons obvious, Microsoft is aiming at the consumer market, not the business IT sector with the newest OS. I never deal with Windows 8 at my firm(s) when IT consulting. Strictly Windows 7 and Windows XP OS's with Server 2008 or Microsoft Exchange NOS's. More computer tech friendly. More client friendly. Plus network administrators and software engineers don't like it either because it does not work well for image deployment nor works well with software development. To add in the business sector it obviously will not work well with desktop computers and older laptops lacking touchscreen capabilities.

I know Windows 8 very well, and understand touchscreen. I can tell you the functions in the control panel is pretty much exactly the same as Windows 7 I have no problems understanding it however yes touchscreen makes for unnecessary steps for computer maintenance and it incompatible in a office WAN setting. 

Call Windows 8 the new Windows Vista. 

In the short version, the concept should've stayed (platformed) on mobile phones.... #imo

Edited by Metro CSW

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did microsoft offer a free upgrade on the os? I had this prompt to download something from microsoft and the screen icons changed a little. Yeah, I'm def not a tech person, so can't really describe this in detail.

The Windows 8.1 update will soon be available through the Windows Store, but not through windows update strange enough but it will be free to existing Windows 8 users. It will be compatible and actually practical for the business world, supposedly. The Windows 8.1 release date is officially October 17th 2013. 

It will look like this: 

windows-8-start-button.jpg

50-50-splitscreen-100030533-large.png

pc-settings-100030534-large.png

In the short version, the concept should've stayed (platformed) on mobile phones.... #imo

That's something to think about.

Edited by realizm

Yup... He even has videos where he disclosed what girls (and boys too) used to call him when he was in grade school or w/e....

I don't remember them all, but the one that stood out to me (b/c it was the funniest one to me) is "smoke"....

How f'n black do you have to be, for a MF-er to call you smoke.... God damn.

As far as his real name... There's a whole thing about that, about him also....

What it is is that, someone (or some group) got real pissed at him or w/e & doc dropped him on a YT video - Criminal record, how much he owe in back child support, place of residence, mother's place of residence, his baby's mother's place of residence, all that....

But to answer your question, his real first name is "Thomas", but his real last name is not Sotomayor - He took "sotomayor" from that supreme court justice chick, sonia sotomayor.....He has a regular/common last name, of which is not Panamanian (like he says he is).....

LMAO... Smoke? I don't quite get it?  Meaning what exactly?

Smoke as in, from a fire or whatever...

It's referring to how dark he is (skin complexion).... That's the insult.

LOL.... In other words like burnt black? Pretty funny.  :lol:  I have been in the company of Blacks in the past where the issue of skin color has come up and it was usually light skinned blacks insulting dark skinned blacks or talking about how they wouldn't go out with a dark skinned black guy.  What I've been noticing of late is lots of dark skinned black guys going with either white chicks, Asians or just light skinned chicks in general.  It's like the in thing now.  I chuckle to myself because it seems like dark skinned black guys act as if they're on a mission to "better themselves" if you will by being with a light skinned chick.  

LOL.... In other words like burnt black? Pretty funny.  :lol:  I have been in the company of Blacks in the past where the issue of skin color has come up and it was usually light skinned blacks insulting dark skinned blacks or talking about how they wouldn't go out with a dark skinned black guy.  What I've been noticing of late is lots of dark skinned black guys going with either white chicks, Asians or just light skinned chicks in general.  It's like the in thing now.  I chuckle to myself because it seems like dark skinned black guys act as if they're on a mission to "better themselves" if you will by being with a light skinned chick.  

What I find funny is the darkskin black chicks that diss(ed) darkskinned black dudes on their darkskin.....

As if they haven't looked in the f***in mirror lately.

Any darkskin dude on this site will tell you that they got much more flack for being darkskinned growing up, than black girls growing up did...

The darkskin black girls were too busy feelin some type of way about lightskinned girls, because they were/are closer to "white".... The european beauty standard IMO is the sole cause of this.... I remember the days lightskin black girls used to get their faces sliced up, just out of straight up envy.... smh.... That whole hatred of the whole "lightskin, long hair, don't care" stuck up ass attitude...... Thing about it is, lightskinned black girls en masse weren't on that shit - They were just being themselves....

As to what you're saying..... Darkskin black dudes dating white, asian, or anything lightskin in general has little-to-nothing to do with bettering themselves - That is a trait of a female (ask any black woman dating a white or asian man)..... In other words, darkskin men don't date white to date/marry UP (hypergamy).....

The dudes that do what you're saying, are doing that b/c they perceive lightskin women to be a] simply more appealing & b] less, well, aggressive, & less of a drama queen (which is exactly what that same tommysotomayor character preaches - and it's far from the first time I've heard any man come off at the mouth with that BS) .... Most men at the end of the day want peace of mind.

If there are men that are out here dating to better themselves, we are in trouble.....

It's a man's responsibility to better his DAMN self.

What I find funny is the darkskin black chicks that diss(ed) darkskinned black dudes on their darkskin.....

As if they haven't looked in the f***in mirror lately.

Any darkskin dude on this site will tell you that they got much more flack for being darkskinned growing up, than black girls growing up did...

The darkskin black girls were too busy feelin some type of way about lightskinned girls, because they were/are closer to "white".... The european beauty standard IMO is the sole cause of this.... I remember the days lightskin black girls used to get their faces sliced up, just out of straight up envy.... smh.... That whole hatred of the whole "lightskin, long hair, don't care" stuck up ass attitude...... Thing about it is, lightskinned black girls en masse weren't on that shit - They were just being themselves....

As to what you're saying..... Darkskin black dudes dating white, asian, or anything lightskin in general has little-to-nothing to do with bettering themselves - That is a trait of a female (ask any black woman dating a white or asian man)..... In other words, darkskin men don't date white to date/marry UP (hypergamy).....

The dudes that do what you're saying, are doing that b/c they perceive lightskin women to be a] simply more appealing & b] less, well, aggressive, & less of a drama queen (which is exactly what that same tommysotomayor character preaches - and it's far from the first time I've heard any man come off at the mouth with that BS) .... Most men at the end of the day want peace of mind.

If there are men that are out here dating to better themselves, we are in trouble.....

But that seems to be the consensus though, that when dark skinned black men actually become successful or what they perceive to be successful (decent job and a car or whatever lol), they immediately find either a female who is light skinned, be it White, Asian, mixed, Latina or what have you, but not a dark skinned black woman, though of course there are exceptions.  In other words, the light skinned female is like the final "piece" if you will to their success.  They're already successful in some way in comparison to usual stereotype (either unemployed or employed and earning well via basketball, football, etc., but no job that involves actual intellect/skill set), but they've still got the stigma of being a dark skinned black man to overcome. lol I was on 49th street yesterday near 1st Avenue and saw a dark skinned black guy with either his girlfriend or wife.  He was driving a convertible. Two mixed looking young kids in the back seat with the light skinned female in the front passenger seat.  Bald dark skinned black guy driving.  I had to chuckle to myself because that's the first thing that popped in my head was the whole "final piece" thought.  I mean here is the whole family together and no one looks like the guy driving yet he's the so called bread winner of the family.  :lol:

To be honest though, the way I see it, the Black man can get whatever woman he wants by his side to make him feel successful, but he will never be equal to others in terms of success until he's made it in the corporate world, and in that world he is still outnumbered heavily since he doesn't have the connections that others have.  In my building for example there are maybe two or three Black men that I've seen in the corporate environment here which is pretty pathetic when you think how many law firms, financial firms and the like exist here in Manhattan.  In the managerial environment, which commands more salary and experience, I would think their number is very low.  The only types that I see coming into the building or my office are service types (the guy that delivers the water and supplies or the UPS or FedEx guy, which are usually Latinos. Once in a blue moon it'll be a Black guy).  I actually wondered about that too though... How come so many Latinos are FedEx or UPS workers? You rarely see (at least I don't anyway) any White or Black or Asian men, and rarely any woman for that matter.

But that seems to be the consensus though, that when dark skinned black men actually become successful or what they perceive to be successful (decent job and a car or whatever lol), they immediately find either a female who is light skinned, be it White, Asian, mixed, Latina or what have you, but not a dark skinned black woman, though of course there are exceptions.  

In other words, the light skinned female is like the final "piece" if you will to their success.  They're already successful in some way in comparison to usual stereotype (either unemployed or employed and earning well via basketball, football, etc., but no job that involves actual intellect/skill set), but they've still got the stigma of being a dark skinned black man to overcome. lol I was on 49th street yesterday near 1st Avenue and saw a dark skinned black guy with either his girlfriend or wife.  He was driving a convertible. Two mixed looking young kids in the back seat with the light skinned female in the front passenger seat.  Bald dark skinned black guy driving.  I had to chuckle to myself because that's the first thing that popped in my head was the whole "final piece" thought.  I mean here is the whole family together and no one looks like the guy driving yet he's the so called bread winner of the family.  :lol:

To be honest though, the way I see it, the Black man can get whatever woman he wants by his side to make him feel successful, but he will never be equal to others in terms of success until he's made it in the corporate world, and in that world he is still outnumbered heavily since he doesn't have the connections that others have.  In my building for example there are maybe two or three Black men that I've seen in the corporate environment here which is pretty pathetic when you think how many law firms, financial firms and the like exist here in Manhattan.  In the managerial environment, which commands more salary and experience, I would think their number is very low.  The only types that I see coming into the building or my office are service types (the guy that delivers the water and supplies or the UPS or FedEx guy, which are usually Latinos. Once in a blue moon it'll be a Black guy).  I actually wondered about that too though... How come so many Latinos are FedEx or UPS workers? You rarely see (at least I don't anyway) any White or Black or Asian men, and rarely any woman for that matter.

Those are nothing more than black men (regardless of skin complexion) running away from "black"....

Our media tends to dictate that the white woman specifically is the piece of the puzzle (so to speak) for any man's success, in terms of dating/wife material or whatever... When you can't get the white woman, you try to get something as light as you can on your arm.... Feminists will abhor that notion b/c it pits women as objects, but really, they need to STFU & realize the reality of what it is with men that got themselves together..... Annyywayy, I'm quite sure you know what a trophy wife is (which sounds like what you're describing w/ what you saw on 49th st)...... And of course, we know who runs said media outlet, so that shouldn't be a surprise..... In other words, the black men that are dating white, are further belittling & devaluing his counterpart (black women) by running away from black (women)..... So again, It's really not about him finding a light-bright to make himself feel successful.... The black men that are successful, per se, have already done that by themselves.....

You're right in that, there's still the stigma of being the damn black boogeyman....  However, to try to overcome that, you will have black men affiliating themselves with white men (or, as you might hear, "acting white").... It never really works in the grand scheme of things, because on the "black" side, that person will be looked at as a coon, or a "sellout" by other blacks.... and on the white side of things, he's nothing more than the "token n***er"..... This is what white men with their fully established patriarchy thinks of ANY black man (darkskin, lightskin, vitiligo having, whatever) tryna weasel his way into the upper echelon of white men in/of said patriarchy......

As far as (feeling like) the black man getting whatever woman he wants... This is a real fear that quite a bit of white men have about black men, in regards to white women...... It goes into the whole penis envy, hypersexualized stigma that I like to call "the bald chocolate mandingo warrior" (have fam'ly CTFU whenever I say that btw) that black men are stigmatized with..... Don't really wanna get into that right now....

As far as UPS/FedEx workers... I tend to come across/notice see more black UPS drivers than FedEx drivers.... Hispanics I pretty much equally see driving for the 2 carriers.... I tend to come across/notice more white FedEx drivers than black fedex drivers..... I have never seen an asian man or woman driving for any of the carriers... Hell, I've seen more white female UPS/FedEx drivers than asian male or female drivers for either carrier.....

side note:

I'm surprised at how many females though are in the armored truck business.... Man, there was this FINE ass white woman I used to deal with, whenever we had Brinks shipments back at the Manhattan location.... After a while, she stopped coming around, and some older white guy took her spot (unless she was filling in for him... I don't know what the situation was with that).....

When I see those Garda trucks passing by when I'm out & about, or Malca-Amit, or IBI, OMG, the women I see coming out those trucks !!

They don't be these old ugly, old hag ass looking women either.... I still worry about any woman totin a gun on their person though... lol....

Those are nothing more than black men (regardless of skin complexion) running away from "black"....

Our media tends to dictate that the white woman specifically is the piece of the puzzle (so to speak) for any man's success, in terms of dating/wife material or whatever... When you can't get the white woman, you try to get something as light as you can on your arm.... Feminists will abhor that notion b/c it pits women as objects, but really, they need to STFU & realize the reality of what it is with men that got themselves together..... Annyywayy, I'm quite sure you know what a trophy wife is (which sounds like what you're describing w/ what you saw on 49th st)...... And of course, we know who runs said media outlet, so that shouldn't be a surprise..... In other words, the black men that are dating white, are further belittling & devaluing his counterpart (black women) by running away from black (women)..... So again, It's really not about him finding a light-bright to make himself feel successful.... The black men that are successful, per se, have already done that by themselves.....

You're right in that, there's still the stigma of being the damn black boogeyman....  However, to try to overcome that, you will have black men affiliating themselves with white men (or, as you might hear, "acting white").... It never really works in the grand scheme of things, because on the "black" side, that person will be looked at as a coon, or a "sellout" by other blacks.... and on the white side of things, he's nothing more than the "token n***er"..... This is what white men with their fully established patriarchy thinks of ANY black man (darkskin, lightskin, vitiligo having, whatever) tryna weasel his way into the upper echelon of white men in/of said patriarchy......

As far as (feeling like) the black man getting whatever woman he wants... This is a real fear that quite a bit of white men have about black men, in regards to white women...... It goes into the whole penis envy, hypersexualized stigma that I like to call "the bald chocolate mandingo warrior" (have fam'ly CTFU whenever I say that btw) that black men are stigmatized with..... Don't really wanna get into that right now....

As far as UPS/FedEx workers... I tend to come across/notice see more black UPS drivers than FedEx drivers.... Hispanics I pretty much equally see driving for the 2 carriers.... I tend to come across/notice more white FedEx drivers than black fedex drivers..... I have never seen an asian man or woman driving for any of the carriers... Hell, I've seen more white female UPS/FedEx drivers than asian male or female drivers for either carrier.....

side note:

I'm surprised at how many females though are in the armored truck business.... Man, there was this FINE ass white woman I used to deal with, whenever we had Brinks shipments back at the Manhattan location.... After a while, she stopped coming around, and some older white guy took her spot (unless she was filling in for him... I don't know what the situation was with that).....

When I see those Garda trucks passing by when I'm out & about, or Malca-Amit, or IBI, OMG, the women I see coming out those trucks !!

They don't be these old ugly, old hag ass looking women either.... I still worry about any woman totin a gun on their person though... lol....

LMAO!  The ones here in Manhattan that I see are usually the Bricks armored trucks and it's usually two men traveling together of various ethnic/racial pairings.

As for FedEx and UPS drivers, they're usually Latino around here.  I actually have seen a few USPS Asian carries though and in fact I had one this weekend.  I usually have a White carrier, but I assume he was away or whatever.  Guy was very efficient, but very SLOW.  I didn't get my mail until almost 6pm Saturday and I was expecting an Ebay package so I was not exactly thrilled. Had to wait a good three hours before I could head out.  <_<

LOL@earlier part... That's a pretty good analysis.  I think for mixed folks like myself though we sort of go with the flow.  If anyone accuses me of being too "White" well I just say well hey my father is White and my mom is mixed so there and however they take it well, I really I could care less. I just live my life and that's pretty much all you can do.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

LMAO!  The ones here in Manhattan that I see are usually the Bricks armored trucks and it's usually two men traveling together of various ethnic/racial pairings.

As for FedEx and UPS drivers, they're usually Latino around here.  I actually have seen a few USPS Asian carries though and in fact I had one this weekend.  I usually have a White carrier, but I assume he was away or whatever.  Guy was very efficient, but very SLOW.  I didn't get my mail until almost 6pm Saturday and I was expecting an Ebay package so I was not exactly thrilled. Had to wait a good three hours before I could head out.  <_<

LOL@earlier part... That's a pretty good analysis.  I think for mixed folks like myself though we sort of go with the flow.  If anyone accuses me of being too "White" well I just say well hey my father is White and my mom is mixed so there and however they take it well, I really I could care less. I just live my life and that's pretty much all you can do.

I should have said "I have never seen an asian man or woman driving for any of those 2 carriers" (meaning UPS & FedEx)

Asian men out of the post office, yeah, I see plenty of them walkin around in Brooklyn & Manhattan.... Good call.

The armored truck companies, yup, I've noticed that too - the two men up front are usually some black man/white man pairing (wonder why that is).... The women I'm referring to, be the ones not in the cockpit of the truck (handling the paperwork or w/e after the men do the heavier lifting); the women sometimes do some lifting though... not to sound sexist, but blue-collar men generally don't wanna be bothered with paperwork (ask any hispanic man in any blue collar field... LMAO !)

As far as my analysis, thanks... I think what I just said in those past couple posts are what people are afraid to openly come out and say, or come out and admit.... (You) being mixed & what not, that's really all you can do, is right..... Otherwise, you'll get accused of "picking a side" - which I'm quite sure you've realized a lot of mixed folks (of any nationality or race) tend to do..... Which often gets thrown in the category of racism.....

Edited by B35 via Church

I should have said "I have never seen an asian man or woman driving for any of those 2 carriers" (meaning UPS & FedEx)

Asian men out of the post office, yeah, I see plenty of them walkin around in Brooklyn & Manhattan.... Good call.

The armored truck companies, yup, I've noticed that too - the two men up front are usually some black man/white man pairing (wonder why that is).... The women I'm referring to, be the ones not in the cockpit of the truck (handling the paperwork or w/e after the men do the heavier lifting); the women sometimes do some lifting though... not to sound sexist, but blue-collar men generally don't wanna be bothered with paperwork (ask any hispanic man in any blue collar field... LMAO !)

As far as my analysis, thanks... I think what I just said in those past couple posts are what people are afraid to openly come out and say, or come out and admit.... (You) being mixed & what not, that's really all you can do, is right..... Otherwise, you'll get accused of "picking a side" - which I'm quite sure you've realized a lot of mixed folks (of any nationality or race) tend to do..... Which often gets thrown in the category of racism.....

LOL... Oh I started noticing that years ago and back then I wasn't up on everything to understand the big picture.  I'm often surprised by some of the assumptions people make, but I do get a lot of hatred too particularly from Black folks and other minorities moreso than anyone else, which I'm fine with as well.  It took a while to realize that people are extremely insecure with themselves, so I just go with the flow and anyone who f*cks with me, I strike back twice as hard.

There's a theory among Asian American activists behind this that connects all of this together.

The civil rights movement liberated white women (the feminist movement) and the same time the black man (with the actions of the black civil rights leaders, the black power movement). Which gave the black man and white woman alike societal power bringing them to the same level sociologically as the white man. Which lifted the interracial dating taboo among black men and white women simultaneously.

Because of the changes brought about with the civil rights movement  many white men became resentful of his own white female counterparts, if you will, from the explosion of BM/WF dating trends just as much as we would see it today among minorities who look at interracial dating with various POVs.... 

At the same time with the advent of the Vietnam War many young white american soldiers were mingling with the Vietnamese, Thai and Cambodian female locals, which forever changed the view of white male sexuality, as much as what the civil rights movement did for the black man.

As a result of all these historic events, because many black men started dating white women in large numbers, many white men responded by saying the heck with white women, and began to date Asian women in now even larger numbers seeking alternatives to choices in women by seeking Asian women who are so called 'submissive' and 'ready to sexually please' (the end of the yellow peril trend and the start of the modern model minority myth). The late rock legend John Lennon made it mainstream by dating a Japanese woman. The rest is history.

Now we are a true multicultural nation where most people by 2050 will be of mixed race descent according to sociologists, as American society continues to evolve with the the racial and gender lines starting to significantly dissipate as a literal societal disease. And as a result interracial dating among whites, blacks and Asians will no longer be an issue anymore because people of all races will be mingling dating, marrying and having mixed American children, and well nobody will be concerned. Because by then hopefully the interracial dating taboo will have been eradicated, finally. It starts with us in the post millenium.

I don't think I would have even been born if it wasn't for the progress made since the days of the Jim Crow laws.

Exactly. +1.

This applies to all black, white, Hispanic and Asian men alike, straight across the board. A man if he wants the woman of his dreams has to better himself first and be genuine about it, dating or marrying a woman because he is sincerely attracted to her. If it's a woman of another race, so what? We all bleed red, no? Therefore a man is perfectly entitled to date and marry whoever woman of whatever race he damn well chooses as far as I am concerned. We are all one human family with common ancestors regardless of race. Period.

Edited by realizm

And futurama is over. (at least till the simpsons crossover at the end of the new season or the season premiere of the next one.) The ending was ok, left it in a way where everything can be neatly rebooted if some other network picks it up. But as much as I enjoyed it, I think it is best to end somewhere before it becomes stale by overstaying its welcome. I think they kinda wrapped up a few things nicely.

And futurama is over. (at least till the simpsons crossover at the end of the new season or the season premiere of the next one.) The ending was ok, left it in a way where everything can be neatly rebooted if some other network picks it up. But as much as I enjoyed it, I think it is best to end somewhere before it becomes stale by overstaying its welcome. I think they kinda wrapped up a few things nicely.

I'm mad i missed it

Shit, missed it as well.

Quite honestly though I fell out of the series when it ceased airing on Fox. Never got back into it while on Comedy Central.

I never really watched the 'movie' season, but when it returned for season 6, I got interested in it again midway thru (missed the first few eps, which i eventually saw on reruns). If not for futurama, I probably wouldn't have cared to watch anything on comedy central.

Not to detract from the current topic but something I've noticed for myself: It seems that I actually enjoy reading the NY Times or other online newspapers such as BBC News or the alternative news media sites as compared to the Daily News or the NY Post. Many times yes people has stated that the local newspapers runs more like a tabloid then an actual source for news, but now my take on it is this:

The more advanced media networks actually publishes articles that educates and entertains the readers. As for the local newspapers it's all about publicizing bad news only to attract a certain genre 24/7, while escaping the positive and factual reality of matters in NYC, the US and the world. I swear some of these journalists who write some of these articles and the editors who approves these articles in the NY Post for example must have came straight out of HS without any former credentials in journalism. 

Edited by realizm

Pretty much. I mean the NY Daily News for example back in the days was a serious hardcore newspaper in the sense that the writers back then stuck to the facts with excellent writing and a superb reflection on things. Now it's all about which celebrity f**ked who and who's the latest one who screwed on top a church like I care. The staff there must focus on the real issues. But I realize they again are catering to a particular audience who are -not- well versed in critical thinking skills.

Another thing to consider is that reporters must attend White House Press Committee meetings on world events on a regular basis and take in only what the Department of State has to say on matters which in that case follows popular political agenda which again does not conform to truth. If such journalists go against the status quo in how they report world events they are penalized for it or can even be decommissioned as journalists. says alot about to me, as as far as, what I read and why I question the validity of the political stances of certain newspapers or media sites.

Edited by realizm