Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

As they say: you get what you paid for. I stick with the daily news because as bad as all the trivial stuff is, it's still covering the news. I care more about the local stuff than I do the world.

Well then each one to it's own. Not going to question that in itself, not in my jurisdiction to do so. My thing is simply the fact that I am also very interested in world affairs, as well as, domestic issues, but the accurateness and the political stance influencing the writing of the facts being given concerning current events as it happens, in the articles posted on these media sites, so I guess that is the difference in the scope of things as far as we see it.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great that I was able to install Windows 7 on this laptop but I did forget to back up my Fallout 3 save, which had hundreds of hours played and two of the hardest-to-reach locations found and ready for quick travel...

Nice, I'm glad to hear that the installation of Win 7 on a Windows 8 computer worked successfully. Many times as a tech I had to downgrade many computers to Windows XP from Windows Vista. Remember that mess? 

so i take it everything was lost?

Just my Fallout save, the pain-in-the-ass settings I had to change twice to get my game working (on Windows 8, mind you), and the easy-to-use Japanese input method I had before.  The latter helped when I was searching Japanese sites for hints on games I would be playing.

I got it working after a literally one-minute fix.  After scouring countless Steam discussion pages, a fix I thought I'd done a dozen times popped up.  It was similar to what I did to getit working on W8 but the file was only 100 MB as opposed to a GB... and it worked.  I did have a couple of graphics bugs but on a laptop integrated card, what can I do?

What I still want to do is build a desktop... if I try to run anything more intense than FO3 (which was released when XP was at its peak) my laptop will //// itself.

But that's for later.  Now all I'm doing is watching SaabKyle04 starting up some of my favorite cars ever while I fantasize about driving my cousin's 2000 Corolla... which I'm supposed to get when I get my license.  Never mind that my cousin and I didn't exactly get off on the right foot when that Corolla was brand new.

Edited by Joel Up Front

I've never been there at all. What was it like? The only thing I can think of is something like that pier mall in atlantic city.

It was okay, they had some good stuff here and there. I remember that electronics store they had and they would have the robots and dinosaurs and stuff.

Speaking of reptilians, it appears a Brazilian Godzilla fan took a picture of a Godzilla poster at a licensing convention, with the Godzilla design basically spoiled:

http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13737&start=1960

Edited by GojiMet86

Waiting for an answer from the girl I asked out... over 5 days of dead silence is killing me. Anyone ever waited that long for a girl/boy to "check their schedule"?

LMAO!! Five days to check her schedule?!?? <_< Please.... You're being blown off in a "nice" way... Do you have any dealings with this chick? If a chick is into you then they usually decide then and there, though some can play hard to get.

LMAO!! Five days to check her schedule?!?? <_< Please.... You're being blown off in a "nice" way... Do you have any dealings with this chick? If a chick is into you then they usually decide then and there, though some can play hard to get.

I'm 85% confident she likes me. The only trouble is the awkward situation that I've placed her in: there's another guy in the game but he's too shy to ask, so he has a friend do the work for him (setting up the date, promoting him, and encouraging her to ask him out instead). I'm effectively up against 2 people and everyone except me seems to have voiced support for the pairing. Me asking her out was a shock/surprise and pretty much a last ditch attempt at getting her together with me after procrastinating for 6 months.

I'm 85% confident she likes me. The only trouble is the awkward situation that I've placed her in: there's another guy in the game but he's too shy to ask, so he has a friend do the work for him (setting up the date, promoting him, and encouraging her to ask him out instead). I'm effectively up against 2 people and everyone except me seems to have voiced support for the pairing. Me asking her out was a shock/surprise and pretty much a last ditch attempt at getting her together with me after procrastinating for 6 months.

LMAO! 6 months?? Mamma mia... Hey listen if you like a chick the best way to get about getting her is to try to get to know her and then take it from there but being shy won't get you too far.  And LOL at the other guy asking his friend to help her.  What's he gonna do when the date happens? Piss/sh*t in his pants?  :lol:

LMAO! 6 months?? Mamma mia... Hey listen if you like a chick the best way to get about getting her is to try to get to know her and then take it from there but being shy won't get you too far.  And LOL at the other guy asking his friend to help her.  What's he gonna do when the date happens? Piss/sh*t in his pants?  :lol:

We've known each other for 1 year, actually. I don't go for girls I don't know too well. The procrastination is a long story itself, but long story short: don't plan too much and just do it is the lesson here. The other guy has liked her for 6 months too, but rarely shows his face around. I let the problem fester for too long behind my back. But you have a point there about needing a crutch to support him on dates.

I can't wait for the iPhone 5S! It has fingerprint scanning and true-tone flash

Heres the link for 5S: http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/

Also the 5C!

Next thing you know you can't wait for the iPhone 6 to come out.  Also the 5C is a complete rip off of the Lumia series with the color selection.

Waiting for an answer from the girl I asked out... over 5 days of dead silence is killing me. Anyone ever waited that long for a girl/boy to "check their schedule"?

5 days?!  Sorry, I would have moved on after 6 hours.

Reading the newspaper this morning, I come to find out there was a shootout in Times Square last night: Two innocent bystanders unintentionally shot by police when they were actually aiming for a man who they thought had a firearm, when in fact he was pretending to point a gun at them by means of a hand gesture using a metrocard. All they retrieved after the arrest was a wallet. The video shows a scene that looks like a urban war zone.

Apparently the man in question was trying to get hit by cars in an apparent state of delirium either caused by intoxication from recreational mind altering drugs or from a psychotic episode stemming from a mental illness. 

Two bystanders struck by NYPD cops opening fire on suspect near Times Square

The 35-year-old man police were aiming for had 'simulated' a gun with his hands, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. Two women, ages 54 and 35, were struck by bullets, while the suspect was unarmed when he was taken into custody.

BY ROCCO PARASCANDOLA , THOMAS TRACY , CLARE TRAPASSO , JOE STEPANSKY AND RICH SCHAPIRO / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

PUBLISHED: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2013, 11:01 PM

UPDATED: SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2013, 4:04 AM

Two NYPD cops opened fire at a deranged man a block from Times Square — as he pretended to point a gun at them — but instead struck a pair of innocent bystanders Saturday night, police said.

The 35-year-old man was behaving wildly in the middle of W. 42nd St. at Eighth Ave. about 9:36 p.m. when he was confronted by the officers, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.

Article in NY Daily News: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/shots-fired-times-square-bystander-struck-article-1.1456418

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_ltWf6GPM

Edited by realizm

I can't wait for the iPhone 5S! It has fingerprint scanning and true-tone flash

Heres the link for 5S: http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/

Also the 5C!

LOL its the same old garbage. I'm very weary of finger print scanning. I don't trust anything that requires me to get my finger print scanned tbh.

A lot of people at my school waste hundreds of dollars on this crap, meanwhile i have an awesome android that costs $50

I still have the same phone from 2009.  I can't type numbers and letters at the same time because the keyboard sucks, using anything but Yahoo on the web browser is horrible, and my receiver garbles everything so people can't understand me.  Even an iPhone from 2007 would be an upgrade..

lol... Moral of the story... You buy crappy products.  :lol:

My Galaxy S2 I believe is finally coming to the end of it's life...even with the custom 4.3 ROM's installed I think the technology in the phone is finally coming to it's end.

I was going to upgrade to the Nexus 5 but given the information I'm seeing about it makes me turn away.  Don't want the HTC One and not really a fan of the Galaxy S4.  The Note 3 looks interesting but I'd really have to hold it to know if I want it.

Either way, I won't turn to Apple products..though I might give Windows phone a try.