Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

My Galaxy S2 I believe is finally coming to the end of it's life...even with the custom 4.3 ROM's installed I think the technology in the phone is finally coming to it's end.

I was going to upgrade to the Nexus 5 but given the information I'm seeing about it makes me turn away.  Don't want the HTC One and not really a fan of the Galaxy S4.  The Note 3 looks interesting but I'd really have to hold it to know if I want it.

Either way, I won't turn to Apple products..though I might give Windows phone a try.

And what's wrong with getting an HTC One?  <_<

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the cold. I really do. Forecastfox/Accuweather told me it was supposed to only be 67 degrees out yesterday.

That's what you drink coffee for remember?

Objection! Coffee contains caffeine, a very necessary element of the workaholic's diet that queels the misery of waking up at ungodly hours in tears during the morning they can face the horrific phenomonon defined as work with the ability to endure swift and hard persecution from millenium age slavemasters called 'managers' for inhumanely long hours without sleep or play.

I feel very opposed to that notion by this statement posted above. I am anticipating that I may have to proceed to engagement in deep intellectual talk over this point of view on coffee, using uncanny terms, and making complimentary remarks about mothers, as I proceed to datamine the opposing points on this fundamental issue and point out gramatical mistakes. Discuss.

After I have my coffee.

Edited by realizm

Objection! Coffee contains caffeine, a very necessary element of the workaholic's diet that queels the misery of waking up at ungodly hours in tears during the morning they can face the horrific phenomonon defined as work with the ability to endure swift and hard persecution from millenium age slavemasters called 'managers' for inhumanely long hours without sleep or play.

I feel very opposed to that notion by this statement posted above. I am anticipating that I may have to proceed to engagement in deep intellectual talk over this point of view on coffee, using uncanny terms, and making complimentary remarks about mothers, as I proceed to datamine the opposing points on this fundamental issue and point out gramatical mistakes. Discuss.

After I have my coffee.

LMFAO.Dead XD :lol:

Let me state up front that I hail from a family of civil servants. A long line of city, state, and federal employees. I'll admit that I am prejudiced. That being said I'm waiting for the defenders of privatizing government functions to show their faces and raise their voices. I'm talking about the lunatic down in DC at the Navy Yard. I've been looking over his "history" and am wondering who investigated him and gave him his security clearance. Personally I wouldn't trust him at an ASPCA shelter after reading about him and his actions over the last few years or so. From what I piece together is that this dude was on a downward spiral even before he left the Navy. It seems that he was investigated after his time in the Navy by some private company who found nothing in his past to reduce or remove his security clearance. This is after some of the reported episodes. I think these "so called" security businesses are fraudulent and that's being generous. These private outfits are getting fat on the US taxpayers dollar while supposedly saving the government money. You know, the old "shrink the Federal Government" mantra where the private industries go to fatten up their accounts. These are probably the same types who gave Edward Snowden his security clearance. We've got private contractors sailing on US Navy ships, providing security to US embassies abroad, sitting next to the CIA directing drone strikes, feeding our soldiers, sailors, and airman around the globe, who have been vetted by some other private company or another division of their own company yet no one sees anything wrong with the whole incestuous picture. That is until something goes wrong. Then we must point fingers, hold hearings, and investigate. Find a scapegoat, punish, and move on. I can remember a time when I had older relatives applying for civil service jobs and I, as a teenager, had FBI (once), and NYPD interview me about an older relative. It appears that today a private individual may or may not even conduct an interview of that type. Here we are debating NSA, CIA, Homeland Security, questions, left vs right, Dems and Republicans, yet we have obvious nut jobs walking all around us, buying guns, packing pressure cookers, taking trips to Somalia, what have you, while these private Keystone Kops take the place of proven security. My rant. Carry on.

iOS 7 looks ugly, the iPhone 5S and 5C don't seem worth it. I'm probably looking at another two years with my iPhone 5! I'm good with that.

As most of my friends would say: iOS 7 = iWindroid

I know people trying to sell their iPhone 5's just to get the 5S...I'm like are you serious though?  Too much hassle if you ask me. And here I'm still sitting on a Galaxy S2.  If it works, why change it?

Let me state up front that I hail from a family of civil servants. A long line of city, state, and federal employees. I'll admit that I am prejudiced. That being said I'm waiting for the defenders of privatizing government functions to show their faces and raise their voices.

Privatizing government functions? I agree, NOT a good idea. That will not do good for regulation of justifiable practice and function of a given government agency that will be privatized. As it is that's exactly what many government agencies are trying to do to cut down on payroll costs. Instead of appointing civil servants they are hiring temps on contracts, who are not protected by unions, nor are privy to health insurance and pension plans. Furthermore this move can make open the way up for more costly mistakes, mismanagement of money and corruption as the agencies being privatized are not any longer directly affiliated with the federal goverment and not under the shield of regulations to protect the US Citizen. 

For all those against the argument: Imagine if the MTA is privatized..... OK you get the picture. Now imagine if the NYDOE, NYDOT, The Department of Treasury, the IRS, the NYPD and other agencies were privatized. We'll truly be a hell of a capitalist police state. The answer is government reform from the executive and congressional branch down.

Edited by realizm

Objection! Coffee contains caffeine, a very necessary element of the workaholic's diet that queels the misery of waking up at ungodly hours in tears during the morning they can face the horrific phenomonon defined as work with the ability to endure swift and hard persecution from millenium age slavemasters called 'managers' for inhumanely long hours without sleep or play. I feel very opposed to that notion by this statement posted above. I am anticipating that I may have to proceed to engagement in deep intellectual talk over this point of view on coffee, using uncanny terms, and making complimentary remarks about mothers, as I proceed to datamine the opposing points on this fundamental issue and point out gramatical mistakes. Discuss. After I have my coffee.

Without my L&S coconut with two expresso shots. ..im not a happy camper, Plus my passengers will not be liking who s operating.

Coffee makes the world go round

Devooooon. ..Get the TABLES, I miss good ol fashion wrestling and peeps going through tables

"The Rock says this, if the Rock hits you he'll kill you. If he misses, the wind behind the punch will give you pneumonia and you'll die anyway, so the choice is yours, jabroni"

Miss those days with WWE Raw Is War =D

I'm having my mug of good ol joe right now.

Let me see if I got the cellular respiration process straight:

1. Glycolysis (it occurs in the cytoplasm of a eukayotic cell the living cell that makes up the human body)

(Glucose + 2 ADP + 2 Pi + 2 NAD --> 2 Pyruvate + 2 ATP + 2 NADH + heat)

2. Pyruvate Processing

(2 Pyruvate + 2 NAD + 2CoA --> 2 Acetyl CoA + 2 CO2 + 2 NADH + heat)

Note.. The 2 carbons from pyruvate make up the acetyl part of acetylCoA. CoA is a big molecule that acts just as a carrier.)

3. Krebs Cycle

(2 AcetylCoA + 6 NAD + 2 FAD + 2 ADP + 2Pi -->

4 CO2 + 6 NADH + 2 FADH2 + 2 ATP + 2 CoA + heat)

4. ETC (Electron Transport Chain)

( 10 NADH + 2 FADH2 + 34 ADP + 34 Pi + 6 O2-->

34 ATP + 10 NAD + 2 FAD + heat)

(Using conversion factor: 3 ATP/NADH and 2 ATP /FADH2)

5. 30 + 4 =4 = 38 ATP.

6. ???????????????

7. PROFIT

Total ATP production is 38 ATP per glucose molecule ( C6H12O6. ) NOT 36 as som textbooks say, looks like my professor is correct. OK got it.

Gonna tear this exam apart.

There are 4 tissue types. Epithelial, connective, muscle and nervous tissue.

DNA is produced in a nucleus of a eukaryote. Conversion of DNA to RNA is defined as the transcription process. Enzymes releases the RNA which is tagged then broken off then enters into the rough endoplasmic reticulum where it enters the ribosomes where protiens are produced such as emzymes inside the cell. This process is called translation.

The reverse process is called reversetranscriptate.

The process of ATP which is energy produced from nutrients are produced in the mitrochondria of a cell. Only the female DNA allows for production of mitrochondria in the neonate as it lacks in a male's DNA during the ovulation process.

Need coffee.....

Got coffee.....

In negative feedback systems, the response reverses a change in a controlled condition, and in positive feedback systems, the response strengthens the change in a controlled condition.

Positive feedback examples: Childbirth: Contractions occur which produces more oxycontin in the brain which in turn produces more oxycontin oops I mean contractions. Exersise: muscles are active and contracting which in turn produces endorphins which in turns produces the runners high and moe contractions during exersise.

waitaminute, is that right? Let me grab the textbook......

Negative feedback examples: Shivering to produce warmth in the body or persperation to cool the temperture of the body.

Anatomical diection terminology:

A body part is superior to another part when it it is above the part in anatomical position. Term inferior is the opposite

A body part is medial to another part if it is closer to the midline. term lateral is the opposite.

A body part is ispilatral to another part (puts IT helpdesk client on hold) when they are on the same side of the body. A body part is contralateral when they are on fifferent sides of the body.

A body part is proximal to the other part when it is closer to the attachment of the trunk. distal is the opposite.

Body planes:

A body part is medial to another part if it is closer to the midline.

A cut that creates anterior and posterior sections is called a frontal plane

A cut that creates superior and inferior and superior sections is called a transverse plane.

A cut that creates left and right sections is called a saggittal plane.

Equations used to predict height:

2.27 x Femur length + 67.985 = predicted height in males.

2.375 x Femur length + 57.13 = predicted height in females.

*puts client off hold to tell her that the reason the computer is not working is because it's unplugged*

Edited by realizm

lmao... I'm sure VG8 is enthralled by that !

Lol, there's a news report on a homeless shelter being planned to built in Riverdale, and Im not even joking with that.

I've heard about it and was just reading up on it recently in the Riverdale Press... It's not as much of an issue because the location would be in the non swank part of Riverdale (North Riverdale) on Broadway, but Senator Klein is already promising to do everything in his power to stop this project, including withholding funds for it.  Unfortunately the developer hasn't been very forthcoming with the full details of the project, nor the size of the building, which we would vehemently oppose based on the projected size, which would not be aesthetically pleasing for the community as a whole.  Community Board 8 as a whole seems opposed to the project as it currently stands, so this shall be interesting.  The homeless people are elderly disabled folks from my understanding, so it's not as if they'll be walking all over the place, but still.  We have a ton of elderly homes near me (there's at least four of them within walking distance from my place) and they're fine, but I think the real issue with this project is the lack of details.  If safety is an issue then sure that should be examined as well and I think that must be taken into consideration.  With the low crime rates here, the question of property values and quality of life is certainly something to think about should this project become a reality.

I don't see this as being any different than other affluent neighborhoods fighting to stop these types of projects from being plopped in their community.  The same thing is going on with the Upper West Side trying to fight a homeless shelter.

I know one thing, Koppell had better get his act in order or I will not be voting for him in the next few months...

I called his office a few months ago about a lighting issue along Henry Hudson Parkway which had annoyed me as I made my way to the express bus and it took quite a while for it to be remedied, which I was not pleased with and now this...  <_<

http://bronx.news12.com/news/riverdale-residents-protest-proposal-for-homeless-shelter-emotionally-disturbed-home-in-their-community-1.6010296

Another interesting thing I found... The Bronx has the most shelters in the city, but the East Bronx (Country Club, Throggs Neck, etc.) have a lot fewer.  Riverdale doesn't have any.

http://www.bxtimes.com/stories/2013/20/20_homeless_2013_05_16_bx.html

I'll be keeping an eye out for when CB 8 will be meeting so that I can try to attend.  Aside from that I've been making a stink about the condition of my street that I want addressed.  Con Ed came through and the street looks like a bomb hit it.  <_<

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I don't see this as being any different than other affluent neighborhoods fighting to stop these types of projects from being plopped in their community.  The same thing is going on with the Upper West Side trying to fight a homeless shelter.

It's not the fighting to stop the homeless shelter as to why I made that comment..... the efforts of them fighting to stop it is obvious...

You mean to tell me you're not in favor of the homeless shelter itself? :lol: