Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

It's not the fighting to stop the homeless shelter as to why I made that comment..... the efforts of them fighting to stop it is obvious...

You mean to tell me you're not in favor of the homeless shelter itself? :lol:

Well let me ask you... Would you be in favor of a plan that's kept secret from your community as to what the details are?  I think that's the main issue here.  I believe most of these individuals have disabilities and Riverdale as a whole has a large amount of disabled and elderly people, so that isn't the issue here.  This is a question of a quality of life with regards to what is happening behind the scenes and naturally the goal is maintain that quality of life.  There was a similar incident either on the South Shore or Mid Island on Staten Island with meth patients walking around and residents there were rightfully upset.  With so many renown private schools and private colleges nearby in Fieldston and near me, I think it would be a terrible idea.  This could have damaging effects on Riverdale's image as a whole as a family oriented, quiet suburban community.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? Meth is still readily available on the black market here in NYC? I thought the NYPD cracked down on the methamphetamine suppliers from 2 years ago. Really surprised as the illegal drug trade here is limited to marijuana, heroin, cocaine and prescription drugs particularly percocets and xanax.

Edited by realizm

What? Meth is still readily available on the black market here in NYC? I thought the NYPD cracked down on the methamphetamine suppliers from 2 years ago. Really surprised as the illegal drug trade here is limited to marijuana, heroin, cocaine and prescription drugs particularly percocets and xanax.

What about methadone ? Maybe there are clinics for those"meth" people still around. That's what I thought he meant.

Well let me ask you... Would you be in favor of a plan that's kept secret from your community as to what the details are?  

I think that's the main issue here.  I believe most of these individuals have disabilities and Riverdale as a whole has a large amount of disabled and elderly people, so that isn't the issue here.  This is a question of a quality of life with regards to what is happening behind the scenes and naturally the goal is maintain that quality of life.  There was a similar incident either on the South Shore or Mid Island on Staten Island with meth patients walking around and residents there were rightfully upset.  With so many renown private schools and private colleges nearby in Fieldston and near me, I think it would be a terrible idea.  This could have damaging effects on Riverdale's image as a whole as a family oriented, quiet suburban community.

Lol @ you answering that (and asking me a follow-up question in the process) as if it was a serious question....

Case you aint see it, the last two posts from me in here about this homeless shelter bit were done for shits & giggles....

Being the person that you portray yourself to be on here, of course I didn't expect you to side with the propping up of a homeless shelter in the neighborhood you live in.... I didn't think that would fly right over your head, but apparently it did.... lol.....

....and I get accused of being too serious on this forum !

Edited by B35 via Church

Lol @ you answering that (and asking me a follow-up question in the process) as if it was a serious question....

Case you aint see it, the last two posts from me in here about this homeless shelter bit were done for shits & giggles....

Being the person that you portray yourself to be on here, of course I didn't expect you to side with the propping up of a homeless shelter in the neighborhood you live in.... I didn't think that would fly right over your head, but apparently it did.... lol.....

lol... Well I knew you were having a laugh but in all seriousness, I think we're all more alarmed by the secrecy of this project and not knowing what's going on.  We really don't know the true scope of it.

Here's the latest on this debacle...

http://www.riverdalepress.com/stories/Facing-fierce-opposition-to-Van-Cortlandt-Green-projects-partnership-disintegrates,53018

:D

What about methadone ? Maybe there are clinics for those"meth" people still around. That's what I thought he meant.

Yes true. There are many methadone clinics that exist in NYC to this day, inpatient and outpatient, private and those funded by the NYDOH through the city hospitals. Heroin and prescription opiate analog drug abuse is high, particularly with illegally sold prescription drugs today. Ritalin and adderal  are another set of pills sold as speed in the illegal drug trade now, which necessitates clinical intervention. Withdrawal symptoms usually treated in the same way as with methamphetamine, cocaine, or acute alcohol withdrawal (DT's) with drugs such as lorazapam (Ativan) or clorazapam (Klonopin), ironically benzodiazepines in exactly the same class as Xanax or Valium, two of the illegally sold prescription drugs in question. 

New York State is cracking down hard on perscription drug abuse in more ways then one. They are also reforming the system in place to watch over how Rx prescriptions are written by doctors and where they are filled. One cannot be prescribed narcotics by different doctors nor can fill narcotic perscriptions at multiple pharmacies.

All points one of my professors (pharmacology) discussed in class very recently.

Edited by realizm

A streetcar rear ended another in Bratislava. 15 hurt, including the driver of the car that rear-ended the other, who is in a bad way. Someone posts a comment "Thank God nothing happened to anyone, at least the streetcars will go to scrap!"

Wow. Ignorance and stupidity rolled up into one post. I already have ZERO respect for transit riders who bitch about old vehicles as-is, and doubly so for tools like this. I hope they repair both streetcars just to spite the piece of shit, and all like minded individuals. :)

Let me clarify - people who unreasonably complain about old vehicles. It's one thing if the vehicle is dangerously filthy, or has a safety defect, or a similar such situation, but I'm talking those who complain about them purely based on age, even though the vehicle in question is still perfectly fine as far as reliability and cleanliness goes.

Then if the accident is due to human error rather then a structural defect then definitely the person who posted that comment in regards to the streetcar collision clearly doesn't understand the grand reality of the world yet in general let alone transit issues or motorist issues for that matter. Not surprisingly. 

Edited by realizm

Let me clarify - people who unreasonably complain about old vehicles. It's one thing if the vehicle is dangerously filthy, or has a safety defect, or a similar such situation, but I'm talking those who complain about them purely based on age, even though the vehicle in question is still perfectly fine as far as reliability and cleanliness goes.

Clarification noted.

Timbaland's better days are long gone.  Never appreciated how something like Get Your Freak On or Are You That Somebody sounded until now...

Hip-Hop/Rap music died in '04.

A streetcar rear ended another in Bratislava. 15 hurt, including the driver of the car that rear-ended the other, who is in a bad way. Someone posts a comment "Thank God nothing happened to anyone, at least the streetcars will go to scrap!"

Wow. Ignorance and stupidity rolled up into one post. I already have ZERO respect for transit riders who bitch about old vehicles as-is, and doubly so for tools like this. I hope they repair both streetcars just to spite the piece of shit, and all like minded individuals. :)

I've got a question for you... Are you more concerned about a hunk of metal or human life? The cars can be replaced, the humans can't.  

I've got a question for you... Are you more concerned about a hunk of metal or human life? The cars can be replaced, the humans can't.  

Did you even read what I was posting before responding? I was calling out an ignoramus who definitely seemed to be pleased with the cars being damaged, disregarding the driver who was in a bad way... so you're directing your question at the wrong person.

Did you even read what I was posting before responding? I was calling out an ignoramus who definitely seemed to be pleased with the cars being damaged, disregarding the driver who was in a bad way... so you're directing your question at the wrong person.

Yeah I read both posts and I still pose the same question.  Who gives a flying hoot about some old cars that can be replaced?  I think that's the general idea, but it seems as if you care more about some old train cars than human beings. <_<  Smh

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yeah I read both posts and I still pose the same question.  Who gives a flying hoot about some old cars that can be replaced?  I think that's the general idea, but it seems as if you care more about some old train cars than human beings. <_<  Smh

SMH that you can't grasp the meaning of my post. Let's use this analogy:

You don't have a car, so your friend drives you around. His car is what is in your view a piece of shit. One day, he is in an accident which involves people being injured. You say "Thank God no one was hurt, at least you can get a new car now." Only, people were hurt, including the driver of the car, who is in a bad way.

Ergo; selfishness and ignorance, not realizing that people were injured. Someone like that obviously does not enjoy riding the car in question, and for them to be repaired instead of replaced would be akin to a punishment, no? Karma's a bitch, as they say. I know how you folks love to complain about riding old vehicles as if it's the end of the world.

Why should I care if those cars never run in service again? But someone selfish like in the above posts clearly does not want them to run again, so for his callousness he should get to ride them over and over again for many years to come. It never fails - in Toronto, an Orion V high floor was involved in an accident that killed at least two people. Someone commented that the bus in question will probably be retired, to which someone replied with "All buses of that type should be retired but that's another story." Pleased the vehicle might not come back, doesn't give a f**k about injured or killed people.

Facts, not fiction next time, please. Thanks. :)

SMH that you can't grasp the meaning of my post. Let's use this analogy:

You don't have a car, so your friend drives you around. His car is what is in your view a piece of shit. One day, he is in an accident which involves people being injured. You say "Thank God no one was hurt, at least you can get a new car now." Only, people were hurt, including the driver of the car, who is in a bad way.

Ergo; selfishness and ignorance, not realizing that people were injured. Someone like that obviously does not enjoy riding the car in question, and for them to be repaired instead of replaced would be akin to a punishment, no? Karma's a bitch, as they say. I know how you folks love to complain about riding old vehicles as if it's the end of the world.

Why should I care if those cars never run in service again? But someone selfish like in the above posts clearly does not want them to run again, so for his callousness he should get to ride them over and over again for many years to come. It never fails - in Toronto, an Orion V high floor was involved in an accident that killed at least two people. Someone commented that the bus in question will probably be retired, to which someone replied with "All buses of that type should be retired but that's another story." Pleased the vehicle might not come back, doesn't give a f**k about injured or killed people.

Facts, not fiction next time, please. Thanks. :)

That's kind of what I'd like to know? Seems as if you do care. The thinking probably is that the cars should be retired for the safety of everyone and if they're dangerous for the public, well they most certainly should be retired even if some people like yourself don't like the idea of old cars being retired.

That's kind of what I'd like to know? Seems as if you do care.

Oh really? How do you figure that? Englighten me.

The thinking probably is that the cars should be retired for the safety of everyone and if they're dangerous for the public, well they most certainly should be retired even if some people like yourself don't like the idea of old cars being retired.

Re; the bolded bit: WOW!! More untruth! I recognize that all vehicles must be retired at one point, but certainly not at the demands of passengers, but when the transit company itself judges the time to be correct. Hell, if they gave into every demand a passenger made, no rail car past the age of 10 would be in service. These cars certainly are not at that age, given that they were modernized with new controls systems and interiors within the last 10 years.

The cars obviously could not be the issue considering that they rear ended another - 99% of the time that points to human error. Sun in the way, distracting by phone/newspaper/iCrap, medical reasons, etc.

Oh really? How do you figure that? Englighten me.

Re; the bolded bit: WOW!! More untruth! I recognize that all vehicles must be retired at one point, but certainly not at the demands of passengers, but when the transit company itself judges the time to be correct. Hell, if they gave into every demand a passenger made, no rail car past the age of 10 would be in service. These cars certainly are not at that age, given that they were modernized with new controls systems and interiors within the last 10 years.

The cars obviously could not be the issue considering that they rear ended another - 99% of the time that points to human error. Sun in the way, distracting by phone/newspaper/iCrap, medical reasons, etc.

Maybe because you seem so defensive about it?  At the end of the day everybody is entitled to their opinion.  Suggesting that some people be stuck on old cars that should be scraped seems pointless to me and vindictive.

Maybe because you seem so defensive about it?  At the end of the day everybody is entitled to their opinion.  Suggesting that some people be stuck on old cars that should be scraped seems pointless to me and vindictive.

Normally I would not say that, but to be happy that the cars are going to be gone while people are injured warrants them being stuck on the cars to me. Being entitled to an opinion does not entitle you to be a heartless prick. I fail to see how what I said was vindictive, but whatever...

Also, there are no cars that should be scrapped. The average LRT is designed for 30 years of service and most of Bratislava's cars have not reached that age yet. When the cars need to be scrapped, the agency will scrap them, just common sense. Besides, the cars in the collision were modernized, with at least a 20 year life extension.

Normally I would not say that, but to be happy that the cars are going to be gone while people are injured warrants them being stuck on the cars to me. Being entitled to an opinion does not entitle you to be a heartless prick. I fail to see how what I said was vindictive, but whatever...

Also, there are no cars that should be scrapped. The average LRT is designed for 30 years of service and most of Bratislava's cars have not reached that age yet. When the cars need to be scrapped, the agency will scrap them, just common sense. Besides, the cars in the collision were modernized, with at least a 20 year life extension.

Did you ever stop and think that to them the cars are a hazard to the riding public and hence why they'd be happy to see them go? Just because something is designed to last "X" amount of years doesn't mean that always happens so nothing is for certain.