Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Did you ever stop and think that to them the cars are a hazard to the riding public and hence why they'd be happy to see them go? Just because something is designed to last "X" amount of years doesn't mean that always happens so nothing is for certain.

If they were hazards, then the agency would have retired them all and not modernized a whole bunch of them! That's common sense! The only vaguely dangerous thing about the cars is the lack of air-conditioning, but that entire shit about old vs. new is undermined when one considers that the newer buses have no A/C either - it would not be until 2010 when the first vehicle came factory-equipped with A/C.

Public doesn't give a shit about the cars being hazards, they just don't like the fact that they don't get luxury. Funny, the interior of the cars in question doesn't seem to be too bad:

Interier-7102.jpg

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they were hazards, then the agency would have retired them all and not modernized a whole bunch of them! That's common sense! The only vaguely dangerous thing about the cars is the lack of air-conditioning, but that entire shit about old vs. new is undermined when one considers that the newer buses have no A/C either - it would not be until 2010 when the first vehicle came factory-equipped with A/C.

Public doesn't give a shit about the cars being hazards, they just don't like the fact that they don't get luxury. Funny, the interior of the cars in question doesn't seem to be too bad:

Interier-7102.jpg

Not really.  The (MTA) for example was going to keep the Redbirds for much longer.  It wasn't until they were told about the overall costs to place sensors for the doors and the overall safety issue of the Redbirds that they decided to upgrade to modern cars with automated announcements. 

I also don't see A/C as a "luxury" but rather a necessity, as people can die from heat exhaustion, but nevermind that though.  <_<

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Not really.  The (MTA) for example was going to keep the Redbirds for much longer.  It wasn't until they were told about the overall costs to place sensors for the doors and the overall safety issue of the Redbirds that they decided to upgrade to modern cars with automated announcements. 

I also don't see A/C as a "luxury" but rather a necessity, as people can die from heat exhaustion, but nevermind that though.  <_<

I never once said A/C was a luxury. I was talking about the fact that the lack of A/C is not a problem restricted to old vehicles but new ones too.

I never once said A/C was a luxury. I was talking about the fact that the lack of A/C is not a problem restricted to old vehicles but new ones too.

Then what other "luxury" were you talking about? Cars with better lighting, cheerful interiors, more comfortable seats, air climate and the like seem like basic necessities and certainly not luxuries, not unless you favor cars from the 20th century.

Then what other "luxury" were you talking about? Cars with better lighting, cheerful interiors, more comfortable seats, air climate and the like seem like basic necessities and certainly not luxuries, not unless you favor cars from the 20th century.

Well, if the picture I posted above didn't satisfy them...!

Also, you have not known what a non-cheerful interior is until you have ridden a school bus.

SMH that you can't grasp the meaning of my post. Let's use this analogy:

You don't have a car, so your friend drives you around. His car is what is in your view a piece of shit. One day, he is in an accident which involves people being injured. You say "Thank God no one was hurt, at least you can get a new car now." Only, people were hurt, including the driver of the car, who is in a bad way.

Ergo; selfishness and ignorance, not realizing that people were injured. Someone like that obviously does not enjoy riding the car in question, and for them to be repaired instead of replaced would be akin to a punishment, no? Karma's a bitch, as they say. I know how you folks love to complain about riding old vehicles as if it's the end of the world.

Why should I care if those cars never run in service again? But someone selfish like in the above posts clearly does not want them to run again, so for his callousness he should get to ride them over and over again for many years to come. It never fails - in Toronto, an Orion V high floor was involved in an accident that killed at least two people. Someone commented that the bus in question will probably be retired, to which someone replied with "All buses of that type should be retired but that's another story." Pleased the vehicle might not come back, doesn't give a f**k about injured or killed people.

Facts, not fiction next time, please. Thanks. :)

It's not worth wasting your time on him. Anything old = bad in his mind. As for the idiot commenter you called out, just a troll. Would there be idiots saying the same about if it was a new car and that got trashed saying how great the old stuff is? Perhaps and I'd call them idiots as well. Why scrap something if the damage is minor? The extremists are nuts.

It's not worth wasting your time on him. Anything old = bad in his mind. As for the idiot commenter you called out, just a troll. Would there be idiots saying the same about if it was a new car and that got trashed saying how great the old stuff is? Perhaps and I'd call them idiots as well. Why scrap something if the damage is minor? The extremists are nuts.

Really? I ride on 8 year old express buses every day and am perfectly fine with them? Why? Because they're maintained well.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Really? I ride on 8 year old express buses every day and am perfectly fine with them? Why? Because they're maintained well.  

8 years is not old.

Those old cars that usually run on the (C) train are downright depressing.  Brings me back to a time that I wasn't even born.  <_< Oh yeah and the A/C is something of a rarity on that train.

That's not what I was asking for. I was asking for photos of school bus interiors that are more cheerful than those on R32s. I've been on both and the interior of an R32 is nice and inviting, minus the bars on the windows a school bus interior looks like a prisoner transport bus.

Also, if your biggest concern is trains taking you back to a time when you weren't born, the rest of the world is jealous, you know, those people with ACTUAL problems.

Re; bold - that sounds abou right.

I wouldn't necessarily say the damage is minor but they repaired older, non-modernized stuck before so I see no reason why they wouldn't to these two.

8 years is not old.

That's not what I was asking for. I was asking for photos of school bus interiors that are more cheerful than those on R32s. I've been on both and the interior of an R32 is nice and inviting, minus the bars on the windows a school bus interior looks like a prisoner transport bus.

Also, if your biggest concern is trains taking you back to a time when you weren't born, the rest of the world is jealous, you know, those people with ACTUAL problems.

For an express bus 8 years old is old enough.  They only keep them for about 13 years tops before scrapping them so they've already run half-way past their overall life. Actually some are close to 9 or 10 years old (The 2004 models for example). 

lol@ "inviting" R32s with interiors from the 1970s... 

But given the choice, you'd prefer it if they were new. Trains have a longer lifespan than buses. It's too bad you don't like the old trains. They are not going to retire just because you think they are 'depressing'. If they can still run, they are staying. It's taken them god knows how long for the R179s to come and then there's the R211s which isn't anywhere ready to arrive. So even if you wanted those old cars to go, there's nothing ready to replace them, so it's either no service or the old cars.

For the MNCR/LIRR I'd rather have the old M1/3 over the M7 because the seats are terrible on the M7 even though those are 'nice and new'. 

Edited by Grand Concourse

But given the choice, you'd prefer it if they were new. Trains have a longer lifespan than buses. It's too bad you don't like the old trains. They are not going to retire just because you think they are 'depressing'. If they can still run, they are staying. It's taken them god knows how long for the R179s to come and then there's the R211s which isn't anywhere ready to arrive. So even if you wanted those old cars to go, there's nothing ready to replace them, so it's either no service or the old cars.

For the MNCR/LIRR I'd rather have the old M1/3 over the M7 because the seats are terrible on the M7 even though those are 'nice and new'. 

Actually not at all.  They're kept very well and very clean.  You wouldn't even know that they're 8+ years old. They're actually better kept than the new Prevosts on Staten Island.  I would certainly not exchange them for newer buses from Staten Island that's for sure.

So I'm not the only one who thinks the seats on the newer trains suck. The M8s also got some weird-fitting seats if that makes any sense.

A lot of you guys on here really know how to give a good argument. A few that comes to mind are 'realizm', 'Via of Garibaldi 8' and 'B35 via Church'. Thus why I never really participated in argumentive discussions back in highschool, I wouldn't have much or really know much to say to back up my claim or opinion. I guess college prepares you for this kind of stuff?

Edited by Jamaica Line

I appreciate the compliment. The way I look at it at least what makes a good debater is the fact that he or she always does the research and analyzes the facts using critical thinking skills. (I say specifically critical thinking skills specifically because when events occur or when discussing subjects there are always more than one side to the story and also because it is better to see shades of grey instead of seeing things in black and white). The more important thing however is that the critical thinker sticks to his core beliefs and defends it and does not straddle the fence in thinking. However he acknowledges that it is always good to be openminded.

A person who comes to mind who is gifted with that combo of intellect, formal education, life experience and critical thinking is retired T/O Trainmaster 5. You simply can't debate with this dude he's always right on target on all sorts of subjects from politics to ethics. All one can do is sit, listen and learn from this man, as he's seen it all, been there, and is very educated but most importantly wise.

Another person I must give credit to is established professional MHV9218. Very intelligent man, and he always sticks to his guns with a solid POV and high intelligence to back it up, along with the others such as Via Garibaldi 8 and B35 Via Church as you've noted, they all in all think 'out of the box' sort of speak.

peacemak3r and Grand Concourse are others that come to mind, their style of debating are unique as they are formally college educated and a well established professionals, but with those two as critical thinkers, they know how to take complicated points and condense into solid posts that are not walls of text. Many teachers and professors has this style of expression that peacemak3r and GC exhibits. I caught on to that.

Yet another one is bobtehpanda, I can go on and on with this list of solid debaters that I learn much from.

I have to give credit where it's due. 

On the second point I know many people who are not college educated yet are wiser than even me. Being 'educated' and having wisdom are two different things. Being college educated is only relative to truly wise in being contentiousness to the realities of life. Truly being wise is how you assess what you were educated in and use it to your advantage. Again with critical thinking skill. Many become astute on awareness from a combination of careful analysis of information and study and from real to life experience, which comes naturally as you mature to full grown adulthood.

Edited by realizm

lol

Gotta pass this exam.

Now we'll all pass this exam.

Same boat as you, but definitely don't know to whether go all out or just keep it simple.

I would not go all out. Broadwell processors are coming out early next year. That's the real gold we should be aiming for. With Broadwell, you could probably have a desktop that's the size of a Mac Mini.

So I went all out and ordered the rest of my parts for my PC.  My anti-static wristband literally arrived the day after I ordered it, but during the week my mail is delivered WELL before I come home from school.  I might just try the Amazon Locker thing, there seem to be locations all over and the system itself is so easy, even I can manage it.

I would not go all out. Broadwell processors are coming out early next year. That's the real gold we should be aiming for. With Broadwell, you could probably have a desktop that's the size of a Mac Mini.

I'm not as hype on the processors as everyone else would be solely on the fact a new processor gets released every and an then.  Ideally, that's the same with video cards and everything else but processors in general I'm not too crazy over.

Either way, as in all-out, I was ideally going for the Ivy-Bridge Extreme 6-core.

Now we'll all pass this exam.

On the real it's not easy having to make a transition in one field into another working and going to school esp when for a different line of work. I had to realize very quickly that the methods of studying to become a nurse is nowhere the same way as studying to grab IT certifications or to figure out solutions to continue to remain competitive with contracts in the IT field. Reason is because all the study resources for IT professionals are online and very accurate for obvious reasons. With medical resources online it is not accurate and if one goes strictly by it they will easily fail tests.

One of my professors in an after class talk pointed that out to me that I have to approach study in a different way, that I'm not studying for Microsoft certifications. 

Medical subjects are more conceptual whereas with computer technology it is more abstract. Either way scientific principle but the medical sciences is a different animal from information technology which is what I am used to. So here I am this evening hitting the books. Gotta bite the bullet. Work now, play later, then reap the benefits and live life as a mindset and a goal. I'm looking at six digits if I succeed in moving from the IT field into the medical field which will be in about a year in change + 3 years experience as an RN licensed by NYS to practice then moving on to CNP.

A lot of you guys on here really know how to give a good argument. A few that comes to mind are 'realizm', 'Via of Garibaldi 8' and 'B35 via Church'. Thus why I never really participated in argumentive discussions back in highschool, I wouldn't have much or really know much to say to back up my claim or opinion. I guess college prepares you for this kind of stuff?

I'm not gonna lie to you guys on here... My general disdain for people fuels how I argue....

When you're not a people person & you have people saying (what you deem) stupid shit, it makes shutting down stupid shit that much easier (of course, you gotta have the intelligence to do this).... Don't know if that makes sense to you.... As far as my vernacular/verbiage, that comes from education (obviously) & less obviously, having been a (rap) lyricist - A pet peeve I have, is saying the same shit the same way to make the same point (in other words, repeating yourself almost verbatim)..... Gotten quite good at finding different ways to make the same point (b/c let's face it, some ppl. in this world you have to do that with)....

As far as discussions that went on in high school, I didn't say much because I was the quiet kid too busy being analytical... Didn't waste too much of my energy being verbal...... I would only give my POV's if asked (believe me, I would get those stupid stares like, *oh he can talk*, or *so that's how he sounds*)... To add to this somewhat, I wasn't on the debate team or anything like that - didn't need to be.... Never needed to be textbook taught on how to argue a point that emanates from the likes of myself....  Now if I'm going into the law field, that's one thing.... But for debating w/ the everyday person, Lol, the FOH.....

I don't wanna give you a lecture on speech & confidence (because public speaking I flat out sucked at, until I got to like, college).... It wasn't having the confidence, but trying to say too much too dam quickly (which makes you sound like a nut.... lol).... Eventually learned it w/i myself that the slower you talk, the more you expand your vocabulary, and the more sure of yourself you are, you'll be orating/debating like a pro BOSS! :D

(I LMAO @ these pant sagging clowns that say "my nigga" after every statement....

I smh & grow impatient w/ girls that say "like" like 50 million times before they finish a thought)

One thing though... Don't be fooled (or discouraged) by the avg. person that use "big words" & use extra amounts of "force" in their speech to try to make themselves appear more intelligent than what they are... YT is full of those sons of bitches that do this! I see right through pseudo manhood type BS, and when you get up there in age, so will you!

In short, for me, it was hardly about being (college) educated....

I tell my own siblings this... There is a difference between being educated & being intelligent.....

Edited by B35 via Church

And a lot of people pretend to have good arguments. They post without substance and then claim that they've met the standards for a quality post. When someone with actual facts comes along, they praise that person for bringing the facts to light (which makes them a complete hypocrite because all of their own posts have been lacking in… facts) while ignoring the facts that don't suit their agenda. There was a thread months ago that I left alone that illustrates this. I don't remember who the posters were, but each person knows himself the best and I hope you know who you are.

Edited by CenSin

And a lot of people pretend to have good arguments. They post without substance and then claim that they've met the standards for a quality post. When someone with actual facts comes along, they praise that person for bringing the facts to light (which makes them a complete hypocrite because all of their own posts have been lacking in… facts) while ignoring the facts that don't suit their agenda. There was a thread months ago that I left alone that illustrates this. I don't remember who the posters were, but each person knows himself the best and I hope you know who you are.

I agree it's always good to have your citations and do your research in a debate. It also is good to be humble where it's due. For example, sometimes in a debate I may make errors. If it is highlighted I simply note that I stand corrected and the clarification noted. But not everyone wants to do that. That's where the flaming starts over non issues, debunking the facts, derailing the thread on non issues and so forth. I know what your saying.

It's good to speak up for what you believe in, as long as you are articulate and respectful in your argument and have something either hard and fast sources or by carefully thought out rationalization of experiences expressed to sound credible. Then basically speaking one doesn't make him or herself look like an ass in a debate. I can think of one or two on a political level: Christine Quinn.... Bloomberg anyone?