Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

There is a roach in my house, but here is the thing. It can fly and chased my ass into the kitchen. Not going to deal with it. I'll let my mom handle that. She'll get a real treat when she finds out it's not an ordinary roach and can fly.... Maybe then she'll keep the damn doors in the house closed.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what you have is a waterbug. I dealt with that type a few times and it wasn't pleasant. One time I took a seat cushion and gave it a whack and it fell to the ground where I took a shoe and stomped on it. I thank goodness that it stayed in the general area and not fly off elsewhere. Basically when i found it and killed it, it was within a few minutes. Silverfish (centipede type) is also nasty looking and climb on walls. I mean all the screens in the house are intact, I dunno how the hell those get in....

I'm in the mood right now for quotes, so...

And a lot of people pretend to have good arguments.

They post without substance and then claim that they've met the standards for a quality post. When someone with actual facts comes along, they praise that person for bringing the facts to light (which makes them a complete hypocrite because all of their own posts have been lacking in… facts) while ignoring the facts that don't suit their agenda. There was a thread months ago that I left alone that illustrates this. I don't remember who the posters were, but each person knows himself the best and I hope you know who you are.

Of course they do.... I'll add to this & go 1 step further by saying (not to say that folks can't have their opinion, but there lies a problem when) you have those that present opinions as fact.... Just because you spew your beliefs in a debate does not automatically make it fact.... The avg. person argues like this, so much so that I tend to think that it's human nature (lol).... Folks believe that what they say is right when they say what they're saying (when there's no disclaimer of course; for example, if someone were to say "don't quote me on this, but....") & no one thinks (or likes to think) that they're wrong....

So you run into different types of (types of) arguments - someone arguing fact vs someone else arguing their opinion, two people arguing their opinions (which is moot), and two people arguing incomplete sides of half truths {this is where you may hear a third party say "neither one of you are wrong" (or something to that effect)}.... The ppl. I just adore are the ones that don't respect facts at all; the types that believe that opinion actually either becomes fact, or trumps it... smh....

I don't wanna get into patronizers, as any type of ass-kissing & pandering sickens me..... Don't pretend that you respect what I'm saying all of a sudden, when you had a problem with what I saying before you got sonned (lol) with facts & logic.....

I mean everyone has their agenda when it comes to a certain subject matter (myself included), but for some folks (on & offline), they get stupid/illogical with it - to the point I personally don't wanna be bothered w/ their asses.....

I agree it's always good to have your citations and do your research in a debate. It also is good to be humble where it's due. For example, sometimes in a debate I may make errors. If it is highlighted I simply note that I stand corrected and the clarification noted. But not everyone wants to do that. That's where the flaming starts over non issues, debunking the facts, derailing the thread on non issues and so forth. I know what your saying.

It's good to speak up for what you believe in, as long as you are articulate and respectful in your argument and have something either hard and fast sources or by carefully thought out rationalization of experiences expressed to sound credible. Then basically speaking one doesn't make him or herself look like an ass in a debate. I can think of one or two on a political level: Christine Quinn.... Bloomberg anyone?

It's good to be humble where it's due is right; "know-it-all's" have no ability to do this... I have no respect for some arrogant pissant that has an opinion on EVERYTHING & believes that he/she is actually right in the process.... You can't tell these people nothing - even when they're wrong, they still babble on & carry themselves in a manner as if they were correct the whole time.... I deal with ppl. like this 5 days a week....

There is a roach in my house, but here is the thing. It can fly and chased my ass into the kitchen. Not going to deal with it. I'll let my mom handle that. She'll get a real treat when she finds out it's not an ordinary roach and can fly.... Maybe then she'll keep the damn doors in the house closed.

flying cockroaches.... they exist.

I think what you have is a waterbug. I dealt with that type a few times and it wasn't pleasant. One time I took a seat cushion and gave it a whack and it fell to the ground where I took a shoe and stomped on it. I thank goodness that it stayed in the general area and not fly off elsewhere. Basically when i found it and killed it, it was within a few minutes. Silverfish (centipede type) is also nasty looking and climb on walls. I mean all the screens in the house are intact, I dunno how the hell those get in....

I do it myself, but what we tend to call waterbugs, are ka-ka-roaches (cockroaches)......

I don't squash the things anymore.... I have a little bit of pest control/exterminator in me (not professionally, but enough to where I can get down & dirty to the point I don't need to call one when most ppl. would)... Anyway, I just stock up on different types of RAID & spray away when necessary & watch the f***ers squirm & flail their appendages before rigor mortis occurs.... Then right out the window they go, where they end up (what I like to call) squirrel food... Lol.....

As for how they get in, forget about screens for that purpose; they're used to keep flying insects out.... As long as you live in a bldg. that is structured from the ground up, you will always have cockroaches (in other words, they come up from underground & into your house).... Through/on the pipes & what not.....

My great grandfather was right, it does (did) pay to know this stuff in the longrun... When you're a little boy growing up, you just think it's all useless info that you'll never have to worry about it, b/c mommy & daddy will take care of it.... Sad part is, you still have men my age that don't know how to handle little things like this - worse, depend on their girl to handle it.....

As far as discussions that went on in high school, I didn't say much because I was the quiet kid too busy being analytical... Didn't waste too much of my energy being verbal...... I would only give my POV's if asked (believe me, I would get those stupid stares like, *oh he can talk*, or *so that's how he sounds*)... To add to this somewhat, I wasn't on the debate team or anything like that - didn't need to be.... Never needed to be textbook taught on how to argue a point that emanates from the likes of myself....  Now if I'm going into the law field, that's one thing.... But for debating w/ the everyday person, Lol, the FOH.....

I don't wanna give you a lecture on speech & confidence (because public speaking I flat out sucked at, until I got to like, college).... It wasn't having the confidence, but trying to say too much too dam quickly (which makes you sound like a nut.... lol).... Eventually learned it w/i myself that the slower you talk, the more you expand your vocabulary, and the more sure of yourself you are, you'll be orating/debating like a pro BOSS! :D

(I LMAO @ these pant sagging clowns that say "my nigga" after every statement....

I smh & grow impatient w/ girls that say "like" like 50 million times before they finish a thought)

On paragraph 1 because of the office politics prevalent I tend to be reserved about getting into political or ethical discussion for the sake of covering my ass on the job. People tend to talk and gossip instead of paying attention to their work as I do. When I am on campus however, different story. It's a different environment that gives leyway for freedom of expression in my opinion. So if I feel something needs to be said I will say it. However I do understand your point on being analytical of your surroundings. I also have come from a dangerous high school and because of that I am too busy analyzing my surroundings and watching my back to be bothered in small talk. But that's behind me now. 

On the girls that say "like" millions of times over, that's because they have lapses in train of thought as they speak without thinking. To make up for the lapses in thought as it absentmindedly comes they have to throw in "like" as a sentence fragment transitional verb filler to keep the sentence going in an attempt to make themselves seem coherent. (Sometimes however that happens because the girl is nervous or overconscientious as well, in that case understandable) Girls who are smart and daring however do not do that and speak articulately, with careful premeditation as to what they speak.

It's good to be humble where it's due is right; "know-it-all's" have no ability to do this... I have no respect for some arrogant pissant that has an opinion on EVERYTHING & believes that he/she is actually right in the process.... You can't tell these people nothing - even when they're wrong, they still babble on & carry themselves in a manner as if they were correct the whole time.... I deal with ppl. like this 5 days a week....

What you just described is the definition of ignorance. Which is unfortunately a negative trait found in the majority of human society as a flaw.

On paragraph 1 because of the office politics prevalent I tend to be reserved about getting into political or ethical discussion for the sake of covering my ass on the job. People tend to talk and gossip instead of paying attention to their work as I do. When I am on campus however, different story. It's a different environment that gives leyway for freedom of expression in my opinion. So if I feel something needs to be said I will say it. However I do understand your point on being analytical of your surroundings. I also have come from a dangerous high school and because of that I am too busy analyzing my surroundings and watching my back to be bothered in small talk. But that's behind me now. 

On the girls that say "like" millions of times over, that's because they have lapses in train of thought as they speak without thinking. To make up for the lapses in thought as it absentmindedly comes they have to throw in "like" as a sentence fragment transitional verb filler to keep the sentence going in an attempt to make themselves seem coherent. (Sometimes however that happens because the girl is nervous or overconscientious as well, in that case understandable) Girls who are smart and daring however do not do that and speak articulately, with careful premeditation as to what they speak.

What you just described is the definition of ignorance. Which is unfortunately a negative trait found in the majority of human society as a flaw.

I didn't necessarily mean being analytical of my surroundings; as if to say I'm scared of saying something somewhere vs being more apt/less petrified to say something somewhere else.... The word I should've perhaps used in that post was, "observant".... I was the person that would soak up game before I spoke on it.... Now I'm the person speaking far more on shit than I ever did in high school or w/e.... That's how you think it's supposed to work (you grow wiser with age), but you get these kids that talk about shit like they're adults (well then again, these kids are too busy being treated as peers/friends of their parents, compared to the exuding of the adult/child dynamic, but that is a totally separate topic).... Kids these days tend to be wise-asses, then get dumbfounded & naive with age...... That is the fault of the parent, but lemme stop there with that....

As for the *well umm... like I went to the store today, and like umm, I saw this kyooot boy, and like oh my god I so wanted to like, go over and talk to him, but I don't know, like.....* chicks, yes you're right.... The word "like" & the phrase "umm" are very common interjections (is the word).... Someone "using" like excessively I can somewhat tolerate if I don't know the person, but ultimately I still find it annoying....

Someone using "umm" or "uhh" excessively I write off as a dumb ass.... I'm glad I don't have to interview ppl. anymore....

The word I should've perhaps used in that post was, "observant".... I was the person that would soak up game before I spoke on it....

Gotcha, misread the context of the post a bit. But yes my response was from that standpoint. Kids getting other kids they target with verbal distractions with the intent to rob.

As for the *well umm... like I went to the store today, and like umm, I saw this kyooot boy, and like oh my god I so wanted to like, go over and talk to him, but I don't know, like.....* chicks, yes you're right.... The word "like" & the phrase "umm" are very common interjections (is the word).... Someone "using" like excessively I can somewhat tolerate if I don't know the person, but ultimately I still find it annoying....

Someone using "umm" or "uhh" excessively I write off as a dumb ass.... I'm glad I don't have to interview ppl. anymore....

I loled. Exactly.

I do it myself, but what we tend to call waterbugs, are ka-ka-roaches (cockroaches)......

I don't squash the things anymore.... I have a little bit of pest control/exterminator in me (not professionally, but enough to where I can get down & dirty to the point I don't need to call one when most ppl. would)... Anyway, I just stock up on different types of RAID & spray away when necessary & watch the f***ers squirm & flail their appendages before rigor mortis occurs.... Then right out the window they go, where they end up (what I like to call) squirrel food... Lol.....

As for how they get in, forget about screens for that purpose; they're used to keep flying insects out.... As long as you live in a bldg. that is structured from the ground up, you will always have cockroaches (in other words, they come up from underground & into your house).... Through/on the pipes & what not.....

My great grandfather was right, it does (did) pay to know this stuff in the longrun... When you're a little boy growing up, you just think it's all useless info that you'll never have to worry about it, b/c mommy & daddy will take care of it.... Sad part is, you still have men my age that don't know how to handle little things like this - worse, depend on their girl to handle it.....

Oic. I typically don't like to do the dirty work either, but given the sudden 'appearance' I take the shoe out before the raid cans. I guess I'm sorta desensitized about the icky clean up (the splattered remains). I just take some ppr napkin, wrap and flush down the toilet (to be sure they can't come back). I heard too many bug stories about how they can survive anything so just tossing it in the trash isn't enough. I also take another napkin (soaked in some soapy water) and wipe the area i killed the bug at. A few times in the past I even had a moth fly in and those were a pita to deal with. 

LOL! Well I dunno, I sorta don't blame them, bugs the size of a thumb can be scary as hell. But yeah, not very good making their girl to do that job for them.

Come to think of it ever since i moved out of the apartment, I never needed any of the raid stuff. I got bigger stuff to worry like mice (thankfully i got several electric traps to take care of that).

Oic. I typically don't like to do the dirty work either, but given the sudden 'appearance' I take the shoe out before the raid cans. I guess I'm sorta desensitized about the icky clean up (the splattered remains). I just take some ppr napkin, wrap and flush down the toilet (to be sure they can't come back). I heard too many bug stories about how they can survive anything so just tossing it in the trash isn't enough. I also take another napkin (soaked in some soapy water) and wipe the area i killed the bug at. A few times in the past I even had a moth fly in and those were a pita to deal with. 

LOL! Well I dunno, I sorta don't blame them, bugs the size of a thumb can be scary as hell. But yeah, not very good making their girl to do that job for them.

Come to think of it ever since i moved out of the apartment, I never needed any of the raid stuff. I got bigger stuff to worry like mice (thankfully i got several electric traps to take care of that).

Be careful with the mice and handle the traps carefully after they are sprung in your vermin control strategy. Rodents are a transmission vector for bedbugs and pathogens such as salmonella. As for waterbugs or roaches, annoying yes, but technically nowhere as infectious as rodents.

You know the deal don't need to add to this.

Edited by realizm

Not to worry. The traps, once I see the dead rodent in it, I dump the body in the trash outside the house. I don't touch the body at all. (I do scrub the trap with a soap soaked ppr towel and wearing disposable gloves.) Unfortunately there were some occasions they died while i was away for sometime and the decomposing corpse made any cleaning of the traps out of the question. I wasn't touching that especially maggots on it.

You may have to try and close up all openings that rodents can climb through (Pipe gaps in walls under sinks, radiators, gaps under doorways etc etc.) You can find these materials (simple materials, wall compound, steel padding to stuff up holes, door strips....) at your local home depot to rat-proof your home. When I was in the Bronx I had to do this, worked like a charm. Had traps after the rat proofing was done. All that happened was exactly that, nothing, they just all collected dust, no rodents in a rat infested neighborhood.

Some cases planks of wood cut in small square areas to cover up holes like that. In case anyone reading this post were wondering why I took my former landlord to court in the Bronx it was because he refused to fix these problems, among other things involving harrassment, fyi.

Edited by realizm

A person who comes to mind who is gifted with that combo of intellect, formal education, life experience and critical thinking is retired T/O Trainmaster 5. You simply can't debate with this dude he's always right on target on all sorts of subjects from politics to ethics. All one can do is sit, listen and learn from this man, as he's seen it all, been there, and is very educated but most importantly wise.

Another person I must give credit to is established professional MHV9218. Very intelligent man, and he always sticks to his guns with a solid POV and high intelligence to back it up, along with the others such as Via Garibaldi 8 and B35 Via Church as you've noted, they all in all think 'out of the box' sort of speak.

peacemak3r and Grand Concourse are others that come to mind, their style of debating are unique as they are formally college educated and a well established professionals, but with those two as critical thinkers, they know how to take complicated points and condense into solid posts that are not walls of text. Many teachers and professors has this style of expression that peacemak3r and GC exhibits. I caught on to that.

Yet another one is bobtehpanda, I can go on and on with this list of solid debaters that I learn much from.

I have to give credit where it's due. 

On the second point I know many people who are not college educated yet are wiser than even me. Being 'educated' and having wisdom are two different things. Being college educated is only relative to truly wise in being contentiousness to the realities of life. Truly being wise is how you assess what you were educated in and use it to your advantage. Again with critical thinking skill. Many become astute on awareness from a combination of careful analysis of information and study and from real to life experience, which comes naturally as you mature to full grown adulthood.

Thanks for the personal compliment but it's your second point that stands out to me. When I was growing up there were many people I encountered who were not as "educated" as I was, bookwise, yet I could sense their intelligence through their conversations. My grandmother taught me at an early age that listening was an important part of the learning experience and that has been part of my education process over the years. Her brothers, my mom's uncles, worked on the docks in NYC, poorly educated black men from NC, and my parents and grandparents, made it a mission that my generation would never have to do that type of work, unless we wanted to. That last bolded part was to let my generation know that we were not to look down on anyone at any time. I was also taught that I could learn from anyone at any time so it was best to listen to a person before pre-judging that person's knowledge. In my lifetime I've worked in civil service, (USPS, (MTA),) private industry ( NY Telephone-AT&T), and construction (Bed-Stuy Restoration and Sheffield Rehab), in a variety of positions. I've been lucky enough to work wherever I wanted to, whenever I wanted to and never really worried about how much a job paid. I've been taught carpentry tips by a man from Belize who went to grade school, masonry from a southerner who never graduated from high school, scaffold rigging from two HS grads, tower operation and train dispatching from a female T/D HS grad who told me to learn both jobs even though I had no desire to do either. If you've followed my long-winded post so far you may have noticed I, the college guy, have learned from people from all walks of life. By listening and watching them they have made my life richer so I try to pass on what I've learned to my fellow posters. That's also a part of education, although it's often overlooked. Listening to others is someimes just as important as "book knowledge", IMO so never I look down at other people (or posters). BTW, I told my family when I was about 4 or 5 years old that I was going to be a trolley M/M because we had two family members who had the job and it fascinated me. I never did get that job but I was lucky enough to realize my dream and be educated about life anyway. Sorry for the long post. Carry on.

Be careful with the mice and handle the traps carefully after they are sprung in your vermin control strategy. Rodents are a transmission vector for bedbugs and pathogens such as salmonella. As for waterbugs or roaches, annoying yes, but technically nowhere as infectious as rodents.

The one thing that was instilled into me very quick by elder family members was to beware of the rare, but deadly Hantavirus.....

(don't ask me what intrigued me about exterminating)

Not to worry. The traps, once I see the dead rodent in it, I dump the body in the trash outside the house. I don't touch the body at all. (I do scrub the trap with a soap soaked ppr towel and wearing disposable gloves.) Unfortunately there were some occasions they died while i was away for sometime and the decomposing corpse made any cleaning of the traps out of the question. I wasn't touching that especially maggots on it.

I'm not gonna lie... since I'm not too far from the cemetery, I drop the traps along the side of the cemetery at night....

You're doing the right thing though... ALWAYS wear gloves when handling those critters & ALWAYS wash your hands thoroughly after taking off the gloves.....

Yeah, I tried covering the typical open areas, but there's no way I can find all the places. For now the traps will do. 

You may have to try and close up all openings that rodents can climb through (Pipe gaps in walls under sinks, radiators, gaps under doorways etc etc.) You can find these materials (simple materials, wall compound, steel padding to stuff up holes, door strips....) at your local home depot to rat-proof your home. When I was in the Bronx I had to do this, worked like a charm. Had traps after the rat proofing was done. All that happened was exactly that, nothing, they just all collected dust, no rodents in a rat infested neighborhood.

Some cases planks of wood cut in small square areas to cover up holes like that. In case anyone reading this post were wondering why I took my former landlord to court in the Bronx it was because he refused to fix these problems, among other things involving harrassment, fyi.

This.

What's also isn't told/all that known is where to effectively place traps.... mice like to run along walls & corners; as they're basically blind.... areas where you have seen fresh turds is also a great place to place them (because like animals in general, they mark their territory)... So if they smell their shit & piss as they're creeping for sustenance, it's deemed as a sort of "safe zone" in their quest for as such....

I have caught many a mouse for family members, friends of family members, friends of my own, and of course, the lil bastards that crept in this place here, this way.... Mainly with the sticky traps (I personally don't like the snap traps for catching mice)..... Usually w/i about a weeks time.

Thanks for the personal compliment but it's your second point that stands out to me. When I was growing up there were many people I encountered who were not as "educated" as I was, bookwise, yet I could sense their intelligence through their conversations. My grandmother taught me at an early age that listening was an important part of the learning experience and that has been part of my education process over the years. Her brothers, my mom's uncles, worked on the docks in NYC, poorly educated black men from NC, and my parents and grandparents, made it a mission that my generation would never have to do that type of work, unless we wanted to. That last bolded part was to let my generation know that we were not to look down on anyone at any time. I was also taught that I could learn from anyone at any time so it was best to listen to a person before pre-judging that person's knowledge. In my lifetime I've worked in civil service, (USPS, (MTA),) private industry ( NY Telephone-AT&T), and construction (Bed-Stuy Restoration and Sheffield Rehab), in a variety of positions. I've been lucky enough to work wherever I wanted to, whenever I wanted to and never really worried about how much a job paid. I've been taught carpentry tips by a man from Belize who went to grade school, masonry from a southerner who never graduated from high school, scaffold rigging from two HS grads, tower operation and train dispatching from a female T/D HS grad who told me to learn both jobs even though I had no desire to do either. If you've followed my long-winded post so far you may have noticed I, the college guy, have learned from people from all walks of life. By listening and watching them they have made my life richer so I try to pass on what I've learned to my fellow posters. That's also a part of education, although it's often overlooked. Listening to others is someimes just as important as "book knowledge", IMO so never I look down at other people (or posters). BTW, I told my family when I was about 4 or 5 years old that I was going to be a trolley M/M because we had two family members who had the job and it fascinated me. I never did get that job but I was lucky enough to realize my dream and be educated about life anyway. Sorry for the long post. Carry on.

That's they key. A quality that I am still ever learning to develop. However at the same time I would have to honestly say we have to be careful with who or about what we listen to. Which comes back to critical thinking skills which is really a universal trait, whether the person is college educated or not.

College is an institution of learning to prepare students for the abstract working world to make that money in the field of choice according to job market trends. But it it isn't exactly always the place to gain wisdom. As you've said it's learning from your fellow man and his experiences, also by living life and overcoming trials, that among many things gives that person true wisdom along with formal education to reinforce it. I'll admit I have a long way to go myself before I can call myself self-actualized. In your case it seems like you are already there.

Edited by realizm

The one good thing about the simpsons reruns moving to my9 has been airing the early 90s eps which are a lot better than the 2000s ones. And thursday they aired 4 of the classic eps including 'bart gets an f'. Ironic here he tries so hard not to repeat 4th grade, but has been there 20+ yrs later. All these years later and you'd think they'd at least move him up a grade already. 500+ eps, even if each one is like a day, it should be 2 yrs worth.

Guess what was leaked out today...

The Godzilla 2014 teaser trailer from the 2012 Comic Con!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15jxso_godzilla-trailer_shortfilms

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/4/4802886/godzilla-2014-movie-haunting-first-teaser-footage#ooid=AzZTJlZjq9OPFHOPE-5u8v7xTVSE_eiw

This trailer has me so hyped up, this ain't the nice cute Godzilla from the 70s.

Edited by GojiMet86