Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

Old news. Saw the new episode last week already. lol

Today's episode is a Treehouse of Horror episode. 

smh. why can't they let it end? Futurama is the one that should've been renewed. I'm sick of the family guy spin offs and the Simpsons haven't been good since like season 8 or 12.

Millions of people still watch the show. If everyone still watches it, I don't see any reason to end it. Futurama I have a feeling will be back someday. Matter of fact it'll be back as crossover of The Simpsons in 2014. Seth MacFarlene has stated that Family Guy will end... someday. 

Edited by DJ MC

Was talking about the renewal.

Oh. Well at least we have something to talk about. 

Oh. Well at least we have something to talk about. 

Safe to say from evidence from this board alone that there are a few fans still with the series. Myself, not as much but I admit to being a major die hard fan back when the series was in it's prime.

On a completely unrelated topic I can't believe the people who perceive that they have these "safe places" online to share criticism. Poorly constructed, fallacious, and nonfactual criticism at that.

I have something to say to them. This is the world wide web, once you're in for good there is no going back. Your entire life as you know it is on here, so to have the perception that you can get away with baseless criticism is flawed. With the vast world wide social media landscape that exists in our present day I can find out everything about your dumbass with nothing more than some typing, five clicks and a swil of coffee for good measure. I suggest that be kept in mind.

Furthermore, being that it is likely the person being criticized will find the content through one method or another why would it be that the person would attempt to poorly conceal the subject matter? Right, I forgot, because it is contradicting the actual events that took place.

At this point all of you must be wondering what I'm getting at. In contrast to my supposed antagonist I'm going to come out and say it.

Austin, watch what you say. You may under the impression that you have the upper hand in part being to logistical differences but that doesn't mean you're safe forever. All it takes is some free time and enough motivation to get from Jurupa Valley to Manalapan. 2727 miles may be an impediment to you but for I it is quite the contrary.

So, enjoy your distant sheltered life while you can. When you find the motivation to leave the toilet you call home I'll be out in the five boroughs.

And remember, best check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Signed,

• Upvote 1

On a completely unrelated topic I can't believe the people who perceive that they have these "safe places" online to share criticism. Poorly constructed, fallacious, and nonfactual criticism at that.

I have something to say to them. This is the world wide web, once you're in for good there is no going back. Your entire life as you know it is on here, so to have the perception that you can get away with baseless criticism is flawed. With the vast world wide social media landscape that exists in our present day I can find out everything about your dumbass with nothing more than some typing, five clicks and a swil of coffee for good measure. I suggest that be kept in mind.

Furthermore, being that it is likely the person being criticized will find the content through one method or another why would it be that the person would attempt to poorly conceal the subject matter? Right, I forgot, because it is contradicting the actual events that took place.

At this point all of you must be wondering what I'm getting at. In contrast to my supposed antagonist I'm going to come out and say it.

Austin, watch what you say. You may under the impression that you have the upper hand in part being to logistical differences but that doesn't mean you're safe forever. All it takes is some free time and enough motivation to get from Jurupa Valley to Manalapan. 2727 miles may be an impediment to you but for I it is quite the contrary.

So, enjoy your distant sheltered life while you can. When you find the motivation to leave the toilet you call home I'll be out in the five boroughs.

And remember, best check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Signed,

Not best to get worked up over a child throwing a tempertantrum. 

Definitely not worth it getting worked up or stressed. Kids will be kids, end of story.  Even more so, adults can be kids as well, I won't deny that I've stooped to low attitudes at points of my life.  But things like these, it's not worth it.  Already dumped a couple of places because of kids.

Not best to get worked up over a child throwing a tempertantrum.

Definitely not worth it getting worked up or stressed. Kids will be kids, end of story.  Even more so, adults can be kids as well, I won't deny that I've stooped to low attitudes at points of my life.  But things like these, it's not worth it.  Already dumped a couple of places because of kids.

Granted what I posted was over the line, but likewise was the individual who not only chose to call me out but also others I know as well.

Obviously an overreaction on my part and truly the wrong medium to express my sentiments but I can't reverse it. Besides, I meant everything mentioned there. I'll stop at that post for now, though I won't hesitate to take action should this persists.

So, yesterday, as part of the robotics team, we had to run demos of the robot for the parents all night since it was open house night. We were in the cafeteria, and everyone was surrounding the table of boring old food, and not paying attenion to the awesome frisbee-shooting robot with AI! What is this? It makes a significant amount of noise too, with the hydraulics and all. Later, the hydraulics broke again, so with RaChaCha tommorow (Robitcs competition in Rochester, hence the location change) we finally just replaced it, instead of trying to fix it again, and then the battery died, so it was pretty much in-operable half of the time. Also, i'm really looking forward to waking up at 2AM tommorow, as we have to be in Rochester by 7AM. Lots of other stuff has been going on too, such as starting high school, but i'll talk more about that when my internet comes back and i'm not restricted to school computers.

======================================================================================

Ah, I forgot to mention....

As some of you may or not remember, a B/O on the 116 slapped me for taking pictures of him (his bus in reality, but nevertheless), almost a year ago. So, I was taking pictures of the trippers afterschool, and he saw me with the camera approaching his bus. Luckily, he stepped out, so I knew it was him before I took any overthere, and I told him "Yeah, I know". So yeah, he's still doing the 116 surprisingly. I'm glad I found out this way though, instead of taking pictures when they're pulling out, having him get in an altercation again, and blocking all of the other buses from leaving. (The 116 is the first to pull out) I still want to know WHY he has such a big deal with pictures anywhere in his vicinity. He seriously reacts like he is a wanted criminal who is facing souvier charges. But I mean civil service isn't really where you go when in hiding. I would ask, but it's gotta be something serious, so i'd rather not.

Edited by CDTA

Ah, I forgot to mention....

As some of you may or not remember, a B/O on the 116 slapped me for taking pictures of him (his bus in reality, but nevertheless), almost a year ago. So, I was taking pictures of the trippers afterschool, and he saw me with the camera approaching his bus. Luckily, he stepped out, so I knew it was him before I took any overthere, and I told him "Yeah, I know". So yeah, he's still doing the 116 surprisingly. I'm glad I found out this way though, instead of taking pictures when they're pulling out, having him get in an altercation again, and blocking all of the other buses from leaving. (The 116 is the first to pull out) I still want to know WHY he has such a big deal with pictures anywhere in his vicinity. He seriously reacts like he is a wanted criminal who is facing souvier charges. But I mean civil service isn't really where you go when in hiding. I would ask, but it's gotta be something serious, so i'd rather not.

I doubt that there is a reason like that for his anger. There are plenty of bus drivers out there that just have an aversion to people taking "their" pics, especially because at some agencies, management likes to spy on them and crucify them at the first opportunity. Doesn't justify their backlash, and I would argue that swearing and throwing a tempter tantrum at someone who could potentially be your superior is not the intelligent way to go about things, but there you go.

A while back, there was a rash of incidents in Toronto where employees would be crucified in the papers for such activities as texting, texting while driving, urinating on a wall in the station (the union president claimed that the employee was checking his phone, I never found out the truth) and as a result of all of this, the employees were very hostile towards transit enthusiasts, thinking that they were all out to ruin their lives.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Some people just don't like their pictures taken by a stranger.  Yeah you're taking a picture of a bus or subway train but it's collateral damage really.

Some people just don't like their pictures taken by a stranger.  Yeah you're taking a picture of a bus or subway train but it's collateral damage really.

When confronted, I usually like to explain what I'm doing, and show them a relevant document which supports the idea (in my case, it's a page off of the Toronto transit's official website explaining the guidelines to photograph very clearly). If they continue to escalate the situation, well, that's on them. In April 2012 I was chased around by some guy around the bus station, I had just sat down in my seat and the bus was pulling out of the station when a driver ran out of the station, POUNDED on the doors and threatened that the bus would not be moving until I left. in the interest of not inconveniencing other passengers, I complied, although I question to this day what the hell I was thinking when I didn't file a complaint about this guy... mind bogglingly unprofessional.

When confronted, I usually like to explain what I'm doing, and show them a relevant document which supports the idea (in my case, it's a page off of the Toronto transit's official website explaining the guidelines to photograph very clearly). If they continue to escalate the situation, well, that's on them. In April 2012 I was chased around by some guy around the bus station, I had just sat down in my seat and the bus was pulling out of the station when a driver ran out of the station, POUNDED on the doors and threatened that the bus would not be moving until I left. in the interest of not inconveniencing other passengers, I complied, although I question to this day what the hell I was thinking when I didn't file a complaint about this guy... mind bogglingly unprofessional.

LOL... I have to admit that last part is pretty funny. The damage was already done when you took the photo, so what exactly did he plan on doing?  You see this is why I file more complaints because some of these B/Os are downright hostile particularly with younger people who they don't think are smart enough to document the issue and file a complaint so they do whatever they think they can get away with.  

On the other hand, I don't like my photo taken either, but with so many tourists around and with people having phones everywhere and recording, it's almost impossible for you not to be in someone's photo.

• Upvote 2

I don't like my photo taken either, but with so many tourists around and with people having phones everywhere and recording, it's almost impossible for you not to be in someone's photo.

Whether it's good to have your photo taken or not, tt's all in the mind. There's an easy way to deal with this: tell yourself that people are taking your pictures because you're sexy.

• Upvote 3

LOL... I have to admit that last part is pretty funny. The damage was already done when you took the photo, so what exactly did he plan on doing?

Many of these individuals also believe transit photography to be against transit bylaw... for PATH or the London Underground perhaps but Toronto only prohibits taking photos for commercial uses (selling, media use, etc.) For that kind of stuff, you need a permit.

This individual was of said opinion and summoned security... who never showed up... I had gone to buy a snack from one of the station vendors and when I returned to the bus platform the driver had curiously disappeared. I then saw two other drivers who I spoke to and they assured me in saying I hadn't done anything wrong.

You see this is why I file more complaints because some of these B/Os are downright hostile particularly with younger people who they don't think are smart enough to document the issue and file a complaint so they do whatever they think they can get away with.  

On the other hand, I don't like my photo taken either, but with so many tourists around and with people having phones everywhere and recording, it's almost impossible for you not to be in someone's photo.

Famous story in transit enthusiasts circles - a photographer was on vacation, and the driver of a bus passing by gave him the middle finger. The photographer sent the picture into the agency and when he returned he was nowhere to be found. I won't even get into the stupidity of flashing someone with a camera the finger...

I can understand that some people might not like having their photos taken, but with public property and all expecting privacy is unreasonable. They might be paranoid that they might be caught doing something they shouldn't, but if they don't do anything wrong then what do they have to worry about? Not to mention the fact that all of the TTC's buses have HD security cameras in them anyway, which would capture evidence of the driver doing something wrong anyway.

Whether it's good to have your photo taken or not, tt's all in the mind. There's an easy way to deal with this: tell yourself that people are taking your pictures because you're sexy.

:lol::lol::lol: !!!!

lol... That's how I think of it too.  

Many of these individuals also believe transit photography to be against transit bylaw... for PATH or the London Underground perhaps but Toronto only prohibits taking photos for commercial uses (selling, media use, etc.) For that kind of stuff, you need a permit.

This individual was of said opinion and summoned security... who never showed up... I had gone to buy a snack from one of the station vendors and when I returned to the bus platform the driver had curiously disappeared. I then saw two other drivers who I spoke to and they assured me in saying I hadn't done anything wrong.

Famous story in transit enthusiasts circles - a photographer was on vacation, and the driver of a bus passing by gave him the middle finger. The photographer sent the picture into the agency and when he returned he was nowhere to be found. I won't even get into the stupidity of flashing someone with a camera the finger...

I can understand that some people might not like having their photos taken, but with public property and all expecting privacy is unreasonable. They might be paranoid that they might be caught doing something they shouldn't, but if they don't do anything wrong then what do they have to worry about? Not to mention the fact that all of the TTC's buses have HD security cameras in them anyway, which would capture evidence of the driver doing something wrong anyway.

I think there's still this concept of invasion of privacy.  It's kind of like I'm not bothering you so why are you photographing me when I don't want to be photographed? I certainly get it but if a person is just snapping a photo, all you can try to do is get out of the way.  Now if the person made it obvious that they were purposely trying to photograph then that's when I would be pissy because there's taking a photo and there's harassment, similar to those disgusting paparazzi.  What I will say is, I get really annoyed when people take photos with the damn flash on killing my eyes.  That could be another thing that gets them pissed off because you could be temporarily blinding them.  I always wondered how some B/O's deal with suddenly bright lights because I know it kills my eyes when I'm on the bus and I'm not even the one driving.

I think there's still this concept of invasion of privacy.  It's kind of like I'm not bothering you so why are you photographing me when I don't want to be photographed?

Well, in most circumstances, you can't even see the driver's face due to the glare on the windshield. It's only when he begins making gestures, bending forward and giving you the evil eye and so on that you can actually see him.

Now if the person made it obvious that they were purposely trying to photograph then that's when I would be pissy because there's taking a photo and there's harassment, similar to those disgusting paparazzi.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this sentence - do you mean "if the person made it obvious that they were purposely trying to photograph me"?

That could be another thing that gets them pissed off because you could be temporarily blinding them.  I always wondered how some B/O's deal with suddenly bright lights because I know it kills my eyes when I'm on the bus and I'm not even the one driving.

In Toronto, it's considered bad etiquette and you will be blasted on the internet if you do such a thing.

Most people don't do this, however - most vehicles have reflective strips so they would just be ruining their own photo by using flash. I've met transit employees who are welcoming towards photography - whether it's them signing up to drive a bus on a charter, or waving at me as they pass by, it's always a nice experience when you find someone who understands that we have no nefarious purposes or intentions. :)

-Well, in most circumstances, you can't even see the driver's face due to the glare on the windshield. It's only when he begins making gestures, bending forward and giving you the evil eye and so on that you can actually see him.

-I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this sentence - do you mean "if the person made it obvious that they were purposely trying to photograph me"?

In Toronto, it's considered bad etiquette and you will be blasted on the internet if you do such a thing.

Most people don't do this, however - most vehicles have reflective strips so they would just be ruining their own photo by using flash. I've met transit employees who are welcoming towards photography - whether it's them signing up to drive a bus on a charter, or waving at me as they pass by, it's always a nice experience when you find someone who understands that we have no nefarious purposes or intentions. :)

-lol

-That's precisely what I mean.  That's probably the only time that I would get angry or approach someone.  

Guest Lance

Regardless of your views on Fox News, this is eight layers of ridiculous on all levels. I didn't think much could top CNN's hologram during Election Night '08.

But the new Fox News Deck (their name not mine), may just take the cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWLoGNWcMkc

What the hell is this crap, a newsroom of the deck of the Starship Enterprise? I know I'm not that old, so this may not have the same effect as it would if it came from someone else, but what happened to just reporting the damn news? When did they decide we need all these damn gimmicks just to get some eyeballs?

• Upvote 1

Higher ratings apparently......

Its a technicological jump in the wrong direction with sidetracked motivations. Their intentions in their approach to applying tracking of social media into the newsroom, not just Twitter or Facebook but also the blogs and the alternative media sites, is to popularize themselves via internet social media, ultimately. So they can stay on top of the other major networks. We can only imagine the sort of support they are recieving from some in the White House Press Committee and the prominent special interest groups with this laughable multimedia venture they are trying to take off with.

I don't see how this approach will change the nature of how the news flows out of FOX News or it's politically influenced agenda, for what it's worth.

Edited by realizm

What the hell is this crap, a newsroom of the deck of the Starship Enterprise? I know I'm not that old, so this may not have the same effect as it would if it came from someone else, but what happened to just reporting the damn news? When did they decide we need all these damn gimmicks just to get some eyeballs?

You can throw ESPN Sportscenter in this same category... The more futuristic they made the set resemble, the quality of the show went more & more to pot.... Way too much storytelling & reporting side-stories (I call em) & only spending like 20 seconds on select games (unless it's the playoffs, where they can get away with showing highlights for all the games b/c there aren't that many teams playing)....

Although it's a good little feature (except on saturdays when you gotta wait for a myriad of irrelevant NCAAF scores to scroll), the implementation of the sports ticker that shows all the scores on the bottom of the screen, also helped kill off the quality of the show... It made it that much more easier for the network to cherry pick the games (the teams... hell, the player(s)) they want to analyze.....

Edited by B35 via Church

I just want shows to air one thing instead of those little pop ups on the bottom of the screen advertising another show. Bad enough they have a transparent logo for another show to watch or a countdown timer... And to think tbs was horrible for airing another show or movie during the end credits of the previous show/movie... With all the commercials, you think they wouldn't need to do all this crap.

• Upvote 1

^ You're one of the few that might find this interesting. Starz initially made the logo semi-transparent for the flagship channel only. Now, its multiplex channels received the same treatment this week. And best of all, they only appear during X:14/29/44/59 and only for 30 seconds! Now if Encore received the same treatment too...

I do laugh at our media.

On Fox Sports News they reported one of our players was set to be traded to Essendon despite earlier on during Trade "week"(Now 3 weeks) that the player wasn't on the table to go anywhere. I don't know where they got thier facts from.

I just want shows to air one thing instead of those little pop ups on the bottom of the screen advertising another show. Bad enough they have a transparent logo for another show to watch or a countdown timer... And to think tbs was horrible for airing another show or movie during the end credits of the previous show/movie... With all the commercials, you think they wouldn't need to do all this crap.

You should try watching stuff over here. Filled with ads and self promotion. During sport it's very common. Then they insult us by putting it on thier SD channel!