Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

English professor: My daughter keeps saying we're from Riverdale, NY....NO! I'm from The Bronx.  Riverdale is in The Bronx.

This happened a few days ago and I thought to put this up for amusement.

Judging from VG8, I'd thought everyone from Riverdale would say "I'm from Riverdale."  Well I've finally met one from Riverdale that doesn't say that.

Wall Street folks instinctively strip you mentally to find out how much you're worth in dollars. Everything you do in front of them is analyzed in minute detail. What a difference a number makes, because when you tell them how much money you have to play with they forget any fashion gaffes (like wrong-colored socks and old-looking shoes) you might've made while meeting them.

Back in town guys, just want to say a quick sorry to anyone I've upset/offended and hope we can put this past us. Inside jokes that may offend/confuse some are best kept off the public domain. Leaving it at that, glad to be back.

Now while I'm preparing to post some pics, quick question. How is Flickr now compared to Photobucket? I know they give you much much more space, but how are the bandwidth/size limits? Getting sick of the Photobucket quotas...

Back in town guys, just want to say a quick sorry to anyone I've upset/offended and hope we can put this past us. Inside jokes that may offend/confuse some are best kept off the public domain. Leaving it at that, glad to be back.

Well, I will have to say that I am glad that you have a change of heart. People make mistakes unintentionally in the heat of the moment and myself speaking, thats understandable. Yes I agree lets all of us forgive and forget and move forward with this. Please give mtatrain my regards, and that I am also happy that despite all, he has given this whole situation a second thought. I wish him the best in subchat, where it is apparent to me things are going well.

So on that note throwing in my two cents, with the aim here to establish some peace here with regards to the past situation. I'm up to it and I'm sure many others may be up to it as well.

Moving forward now....

Edited by realizm

Well, I will have to say that I am glad that you have a change of heart. People make mistakes unintentionally in the heat of the moment and myself speaking, thats understandable. Yes I agree lets all of us forgive and forget and move forward with this. Please give mtatrain my regards, and that I am also happy that despite all, he has given this whole situation a second thought. I wish him the best in subchat, where it is apparent to me things are going well.

So on that note throwing in my two cents, with the aim here to establish some peace here with regards to the past situation. I'm up to it and I'm sure many others may be up to it as well.

Moving forward now....

Thanks man!

All I want here is for us to get along without going at it like they do on OTChat. We all got our beefs against some on here, I got mine you got yours, but as long as we can get along right without constant arguing and shit talking the other guy in public I'm good. I think I'm gonna be posting less now though, not really because of all that, I'm just a busy guy.

Let's keep it moving, Team NYCTF!

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

English professor: My daughter keeps saying we're from Riverdale, NY....NO! I'm from The Bronx.  Riverdale is in The Bronx.

This happened a few days ago and I thought to put this up for amusement.

Judging from VG8, I'd thought everyone from Riverdale would say "I'm from Riverdale."  Well I've finally met one from Riverdale that doesn't say that.

LOL... Most people do say Riverdale and not the Bronx.  The stores make a point to usually put Riverdale, NY for the mailing address too to demonstrate a sense of community and pride.  Some residents do say they live in the Bronx but that depends on the individual, but overall I've heard Riverdale far more than the Bronx by a mile.  In short, it comes down to mainly a money and a status thing here. Most of the Bronx is EXTREMELY poor with high crime rates, which is the complete opposite of Riverdale.  Think about it. If you were sending your kid to one of the most expensive private schools in New York City (Horace Mann School), you would probably not say you're sending your kid to school in the Bronx.  

Then you have the people that actually live in parts of the Bronx that come to work here and they say Riverdale isn't really the Bronx, since it has some of the lowest crime in the city, no housing projects or anything that would be generally associated with the Bronx. Most people own here as opposed to being renters, which also is not like most of the Bronx and helps keep the riff-raff element out. It feels more like an extension of Upper Manhattan to be honest, and with the steep hills separating us, I don't for a moment worry about my safety unless I walk down the hill or down the stairs and walk to Kingsbridge (and believe you me that is not a daily thing).  That's when I definitely know that I'm in the Bronx.  :lol:

Yes, geographically Riverdale is in the Bronx, but that's about it.  I personally always wondered how the area remained so safe and exclusive before I moved here being so close to the Bronx and particularly poor areas of the Bronx.  Part of it is definitely money and part of it is geography.  The steep hills keep out some of riff-raff out and if there is any sort of hint of crime, the cops are on patrol around here, so I never feel afraid and I'm out at all sorts of hours in Riverdale coming back from the city.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

When confronted, I usually like to explain what I'm doing, and show them a relevant document which supports the idea (in my case, it's a page off of the Toronto transit's official website explaining the guidelines to photograph very clearly). If they continue to escalate the situation, well, that's on them. In April 2012 I was chased around by some guy around the bus station, I had just sat down in my seat and the bus was pulling out of the station when a driver ran out of the station, POUNDED on the doors and threatened that the bus would not be moving until I left. in the interest of not inconveniencing other passengers, I complied, although I question to this day what the hell I was thinking when I didn't file a complaint about this guy... mind bogglingly unprofessional.

Thats why I actually perfer it when the ops ask what i'm doing, because there was this op on the 41 last year, who had no idea what the hell I was doing, and he actually asked a fellow student about it later in the year, but they were really bothered by it, because they didn't know at first. (Of course, I tried to photograph the other 41's instead more, so that he knew I wasn't doing it just to him)

Not to cut the topic but I'm sure there are fellow college students out there that is wondering what can happen in an event of a default due to unresolved issues with the debt ceiling hitting the roof if there is no resolution by Oct 17th.

It was stated by a Department Of Education spokesman that the effect of a default may be minimal. Students who recieve financial aid should recieve their payments if currently enrolled in a CUNY university such as myself. However in the case of an extended shutdown or if the debt ceiling issue is not resolved by Oct 17th, borrowers are bound to face many woes. Interest rates my dramatically increase with student loans. Finacial aid will still be dispursed albeit with delays. The surplus often granted after straight tuition fees are deducted from a FASLA grant covering for the cost of the classes itself may not see the surplus.

It is known that the US Dept of Education does not depend on direct funds from the US goverment in the same way that say the MTA recieves full funding from Albany (They as we all know only recieve partial funding while collecting revenue from fare collection and taxes) The US Dept of Education apparently works in a similar fashion.

So apparently it does not seem that the US Dept of Education will cut FASLA grants across the board. Recall in the period between 2007 to 2009 during the last market crash where markets went into a turmoil, FASLA grants were minimally affected. People were still being approved for loans although at higher interest rates.

Hopefully this may be a similar case this time around.

So continue to study people if you are already in college or prepared to take the SAT. But pay astute attention to how you will finance for continued education, there may be changes but again, minimal (hopefully).

Source:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgrath/2013/10/04/how-the-shutdown-is-affecting-college-aid-applications/

Edited by realizm

Not to cut the topic but I'm sure there are fellow college students out there that is wondering what can happen in an event of a default due to unresolved issues with the debt ceiling hitting the roof if there is no resolution by Oct 17th.

It was stated by a Department Of Education spokesman that the effect of a default may be minimal. Students who recieve financial aid should recieve their payments if currently enrolled in a CUNY university such as myself. However in the case of an extended shutdown or if the debt ceiling issue is not resolved by Oct 17th, borrowers are bound to face many woes. Interest rates my dramatically increase with student loans. Finacial aid will still be dispursed albeit with delays. The surplus often granted after straight tuition fees are deducted from a FASLA grant covering for the cost of the classes itself may not see the surplus.

It is known that the US Dept of Education does not depend on direct funds from the US goverment in the same way that say the MTA recieves full funding from Albany (They as we all know only recieve partial funding while collecting revenue from fare collection and taxes) The US Dept of Education apparently works in a similar fashion.

So apparently it does not seem that the US Dept of Education will cut FASLA grants across the board. Recall in the period between 2007 to 2009 during the last market crash where markets went into a turmoil, FASLA grants were minimally affected. People were still being approved for loans although at higher interest rates.

So continue to study people if you are already in college or prepared to take the SAT. But pay astute attention to how you will finance for continued education, there may be changes but again, minimal (hopefully).

Source:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgrath/2013/10/04/how-the-shutdown-is-affecting-college-aid-applications/

Scary stuff, thankfully I'm still in HS but damn.

LOL... Most people do say Riverdale and not the Bronx.  The stores make a point to usually put Riverdale, NY for the mailing address too to demonstrate a sense of community and pride.  Some residents do say they live in the Bronx but that depends on the individual, but overall I've heard Riverdale far more than the Bronx by a mile.  In short, it comes down to mainly a money and a status thing here. Most of the Bronx is EXTREMELY poor with high crime rates, which is the complete opposite of Riverdale.  Think about it. If you were sending your kid to one of the most expensive private schools in New York City (Horace Mann School), you would probably not say you're sending your kid to school in the Bronx.  

Then you have the people that actually live in parts of the Bronx that come to work here and they say Riverdale isn't really the Bronx, since it has some of the lowest crime in the city, no housing projects or anything that would be generally associated with the Bronx. Most people own here as opposed to being renters, which also is not like most of the Bronx and helps keep the riff-raff element out. It feels more like an extension of Upper Manhattan to be honest, and with the steep hills separating us, I don't for a moment worry about my safety unless I walk down the hill or down the stairs and walk to Kingsbridge (and believe you me that is not a daily thing).  That's when I definitely know that I'm in the Bronx.  :lol:

Yes, geographically Riverdale is in the Bronx, but that's about it.  I personally always wondered how the area remained so safe and exclusive before I moved here being so close to the Bronx and particularly poor areas of the Bronx.  Part of it is definitely money and part of it is geography.  The steep hills keep out some of riff-raff out and if there is any sort of hint of crime, the cops are on patrol around here, so I never feel afraid and I'm out at all sorts of hours in Riverdale coming back from the city.

Can't really be a status thing though, I mean look at Mill Basin in Brooklyn, I know some wealthy people in that area and they still say they are from Brooklyn.  I guess it was the way you were raised and such.

Source:

Financial Aid was distributed last week already.  Unfortunately, I paid for college already.

Can't really be a status thing though, I mean look at Mill Basin in Brooklyn, I know some wealthy people in that area and they still say they are from Brooklyn.  I guess it was the way you were raised and such.

Financial Aid was distributed last week already.  Unfortunately, I paid for college already.

Count me in, I am paying out of pocket until I get my statement from IRS (which it seems is affected by the shutdown) to complete my application for grants. It should go through in the next couple of weeks. Long story, enrolled late into the weeks for admission and registering for classes.

lol.... The Bronx is the only borough that as a whole is thought of as an extremely poor borough with high crime.  It is true to an extent.  The Bronx has the highest unemployment and poverty levels which on average are almost double those of any of the other boroughs. 14% unemployment rate! lol Hell I'm from Brooklyn (Sheepshead Bay) and I grew up thinking that there were NO good neighborhoods in the Bronx.  Brooklyn of course has some bad pockets, but everyone knows there are nice areas.  I used to always make fun of a friend of mine who grew up in Pelham Bay.  He's Italian-American and I would say to myself, how in the hell does he live in the Bronx?  I had no idea that Pelham Bay was actually a nice area (though it's slowly declining as the Italian population declines) but that's the mindset of most people when they hear Bronx.  They think crime and poverty and I still think that now which is why I don't venture into the Bronx unless I know the area is safe like Morris Park.  It's supposedly getting better in some areas but most of it is a complete dump, so yes it is very much a status thing, since a large part of the Bronx is still very poor and run down.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Ladies and gentlemen, watch as he tries to defend this statement.

There's nothing to defend. The neighborhood is on the decline.  It's no secret either.  I'm just stating what others have stated.  Similar neighborhoods like Throggs Neck are also on the decline mainly due to over building and over development, which is ruining the neighborhood.

There's nothing to defend. The neighborhood is on the decline.  It's no secret either.  I'm just stating what others have stated.  Similar neighborhoods like Throggs Neck are also on the decline mainly due to over building and over development, which is ruining the neighborhood.

So what you are saying is that you are concerned about your residential neighborhood becoming over-commercialized, no? If so yes I can relate to an extent as I am more of a urbanite.

So what you are saying is that you are concerned about your residential neighborhood becoming over-commercialized, no? If so yes I can relate to an extent as I am more of a urbanite.

Not just over commercialized, but also literally overbuilt.  In Throggs Neck, they're tearing down one house and building three, destroying block after block.  Then you have tons of Section 8 people moving in too in some areas, which brings in the seedy element, so there are a few reasons why those areas are on the decline.  We recently fought and so far are winning against a developer trying to bring in a homeless shelter in Riverdale.  That would ruin the quality of life for our community and those sorts of things have to be stopped.  We're all for the elderly part of the project, as we have a large elderly population here, but having a massive homeless shelter built in a neighborhood that has tons of historic homes nearby in Fieldston in a family oriented community raises the stakes for a large spike in crime and could literally destroy the community.  Luckily the developer has backed out.  We welcome a small scale home for the elderly who have housing issues, but we need to know the full scale of what a large sized project would entail with mentally challenged homeless folks and having such a plan be done secretively as the one that was proposed is a big red flag.  

Not just over commercialized, but also literally overbuilt.  In Throggs Neck, they're tearing down one house and building three, destroying block after block.  Then you have tons of Section 8 people moving in too in some areas, which brings in the seedy element, so there are a few reasons why those areas are on the decline.  We recently fought and so far are winning against a developer trying to bring in a homeless shelter in Riverdale.  That would ruin the quality of life for our community and those sorts of things have to be stopped.  We're all for the elderly part of the project, as we have a large elderly population here, but having a massive homeless shelter built in a neighborhood that has tons of historic homes nearby in Fieldston in a family oriented community raises the stakes for a large spike in crime and could literally destroy the community.  Luckily the developer has backed out.  We welcome a small scale home for the elderly who have housing issues, but we need to know the full scale of what a large sized project would entail with mentally challenged homeless folks and having such a plan be done secretively as the one that was proposed is a big red flag.

Yes I have read the issue in regards to the bringing in of a homeless shelter underhandedly. Not getting into the ethical implications here as people knows where I stand, however on the flipside the community should have been informed. The thing is however is that the issue regarding the increasing rates of homelessness does need to be addressed, however the way people go about doing this even I have to question sometimes.

Non for profit programs are big business thats the bottom line, as the penal system is also big business. We have to place some of the fault at the way officials go about dealing with the providing of human services.

Yes I have read the issue in regards to the bringing in of a homeless shelter underhandedly. Not getting into the ethical implications here as people knows where I stand, however on the flipside the community should have been informed. The thing is however is that the issue regarding the increasing rates of homelessness does need to be addressed, however the way people go about doing this even I have to question sometimes.

Non for profit programs are big business thats the bottom line, as the penal system is also big business. We have to place some of the fault at the way officials go about dealing with the providing of human services.

I think the bigger issue is reforming the whole system in place for the homeless.  Many of them simply don't want to go to the shelters and feel safer sleeping on the streets.  I've been seeing more and more of them since about 2009 or so, and they're in areas that you would never expect them, right out in the open.  In ATM's of banks, Park Avenue, Madison Avenue, 5th Avenue, 42nd street.  The only place I haven't seen them is up by 57th street, but they're in all of the swank expensive posh parts of Midtown now as opposed to before.  They've always been Downtown (Union Square area, esp.).  

I think the bigger issue is reforming the whole system in place for the homeless.  Many of them simply don't want to go to the shelters and feel safer sleeping on the streets.  I've been seeing more and more of them since about 2009 or so, and they're in areas that you would never expect them, right out in the open.  In ATM's of banks, Park Avenue, Madison Avenue, 5th Avenue, 42nd street.  The only place I haven't seen them is up by 57th street, but they're in all of the swank expensive posh parts of Midtown now as opposed to before.  They've always been Downtown (Union Square area, esp.).

Very true, reforms are needed. Many homeless shelters are reported to be even more dangerous then even the prisons, which indeed as you've said compels many of the homeless into the streets to escape the real dangers that pose in a men's homeless shelter. (Robbery and assault, such as theft, stabbings and the like) That is very significant. Also I am sure there is corruption within from the civil servants that oversee operations in the shelters funded by the Dept of Homeless Services.

This is where I become disconcerted because at least, do things in accordances with fair practices if this is what my tax dollars is going towards.

I always believed that it is absolutey soverienties that rips us off in terms of tax dollars, not necessarily the public. They have no power over laws passed unless a social movement, or community effort is started, aside from provisions in place where we can vote on candidates that never keep their promises.