Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Did I stutter?

I went through enough experiences where I have f**king punks in the ghetto in high school throw *frozen* eggs at me or try to rob me out only to regret it when I grab a broken bottle, rock or pull out the baligong or switchblade ready to hurt someone in retaliation. I was hit in the head with a rock before during a fight. What I didn't tell you in chat that night that was that was the week of Halloween, 1994. I don't forget.

As far as I'm concerned, that Thursday, school, work, then come home. And I will have a suprise for the hoodlums just in case someone tries to assault me that night.

I'm sure many kids are terrified to even come to school come Halloween because we have our delinquent a**holes who ruins it for people simply going about minding their business. I will be prepared to fight if anyone tries this time, trust me. realizm does not play, believe that.

You tell me why I should celebrate Devil's night?

My apologies if you viewed that as a smart ass reply. My intention was to open up a casual conversation in regard to the festivities, rather than seemingly antagonize.

In regard to the delinquent acts, I'm sure that they can easily ruin the night, especially if one has been a target on previous occasions. Nevertheless forgive me if I don't let any bullshit spoil a otherwise great night. Moving forward.

@ Turbo, you are my boy so don't take it the wrong way however I have my my views on Halloween so do not take it to heart. So that is what I have said in the prior post and I am sticking by it. However again as you celebrate Halloween , do your thing, just realize why I view the day this way.

Now New Years is a different story. My favorite time of the year to celebrate. Thats when I party hard to the point I'm hung over for days.  Plenty of good memories I have had concerning new years eve. If I only told you the fun I've had and will this year into 2014....

(rethinking how I responded)

And so life moves on the internet. It needed to be locked they way it was going.

Nah, I won't hold anything against you. As I mentioned everyone has the right to their views. Clearly you've had bad experiences in the past, so such a point of view is understandable after the fact.

If for whatever reason you and I continue to disagree on the subject I'd hate to see it intervene elsewhere as well.

Stay cool dude.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll run into the PhotoBucket limit way faster than the flickr limit, even if you're pictures are small. I had about 11,000 bus photos in PB before they placed the limit. They gave me almost 3GB of space after that, and I ran out in about a month. Granted, most pictures there were about 4 MB in size. I've uploaded almost 3,000 photos (1 MB each), and I've used 0.31% of my space. I haven't even reached 1%. I'd recommend to anyone flickr.

Most of my pics are shrunked down to like 600kb at 900x675 pixels so I don't 'blow up' the screen. I guess it's become a habit for me and that's why it takes me so long to upload pics because I also edit/crop the pics as well. I hardly ever upload an image 'as is'. So for me I don't have any issues with the limits. I will say the recent update made it a pita to work with. Before, a few months back, it was a breeze to delete stuff and arrange things. Maybe I might turn to flickr in the future, but right now with FB, I don't really need to.

Gah, I just remembered I forgot to those isometric sketches for homework D:

Good thing I have a study hall today...

On a completely different thought;

Ok, so daylight savings was extended to november so that it would be safer for kids during halloween, right? But how is that safer than sending kids to school in darkness for 2 WEEKS?

It isn't that dark in the morning unless kids wake up in 5am or something. What about for people walking home from work at night? Shouldn't they have some light on the way home? What they should do is make DLS the new standard and apply DLS for the fall/winter and bump the clocks forward an hour. That way 7pm wouldn't be so damn dark right now. Start school an hour later to compensate for the time shift.

If someone's gonna be disrespectful about your hobby, and no amount of explanation is going to get thru to the person, then I'd save myself the hassle and drop the person. Giving the other person more feedback just gives the person more attention than they deserve. Not worth the hassle.

I agree. What a person does with his or her life where it pertains to hobbies is their own business. I have similar sentiments. I don't let people tell me what to do, how I should live my life and what my interests should be. Who are you?  They dont put food in my mouth, pay my rent or put clothes on my back. So why should I listen to them? That does not make a good  mark of a good acquaintanceship on the social media sites. people who keep it real will not criticize the next one unconstructively with underhanded intentions.

We all know this, some people post on the internet solely to argue and be internet tough guys, myself, aint hearing it. If one don't like what I do then do me a favor and f**k off. My two cents.

Stay cool dude.

It's cool brother.

Does anyone else think I was wrong to back myself up? It's one thing to be criticized, but if you're going to talk out of your ass and spew out a blatant disrespectful comment then I'm not just going to stand there with my tail in between my legs...I'm going to address it in the best way that I see fit!

As the saying goes, don't feed the trolls and internet a**holes.

(pardon my french)

Edited by realizm

So I had a score to settle on Facebook yesterday...I'll give a run-down of what happened:

My Instagram consists mostly of transit-related pictures. However, I do upload other photos of stuff such as sunrises/sunsets, random things in the street, and so on. Plenty of my pictures are shared on Facebook. One of my friends has the nerve to ask me "If I'm in love with trains"...then she has the nerve to come out of her face when I address people's behavior towards me and my hobby in a status I made telling others if they have a problem with my pictures, then just delete me off Facebook and unfollow me on Instagram. I don't need the headache of people downing me and my work just because it's unusual to see photos of trains and buses. These people are acting like they've never seen or rode a bus or train in their life before. I don't look down on others' hobbies or interests, so why look down on mine?

The way I see it, I consider my transit photography as an art form, and I take my work very seriously. People tell me every day my pictures are awesome, no matter what they are. So I think I do a damn good job when it comes to my work. My status got 50+ hits because I defended myself and my work. I'm not going to be put down by a whole bunch of ignorant f***tards who'd rather "turn up" or "get lit" every day in the week. Do something productive with your life. And before you criticize someone else, check yourself and see if what you are doing is any better than what anyone else is doing.

Does anyone else think I was wrong to back myself up? It's one thing to be criticized, but if you're going to talk out of your ass and spew out a blatant disrespectful comment then I'm not just going to stand there with my tail in between my legs...I'm going to address it in the best way that I see fit!

lol... That's why I got rid of so many people on my personal pages. People are extremely insecure. I don't need or want those types of people around me, so I wouldn't even post a status update.  Just delete them completely and move on.

So I had a score to settle on Facebook yesterday...I'll give a run-down of what happened:

My Instagram consists mostly of transit-related pictures. However, I do upload other photos of stuff such as sunrises/sunsets, random things in the street, and so on. Plenty of my pictures are shared on Facebook. One of my friends has the nerve to ask me "If I'm in love with trains"...then she has the nerve to come out of her face when I address people's behavior towards me and my hobby in a status I made telling others if they have a problem with my pictures, then just delete me off Facebook and unfollow me on Instagram. I don't need the headache of people downing me and my work just because it's unusual to see photos of trains and buses. These people are acting like they've never seen or rode a bus or train in their life before. I don't look down on others' hobbies or interests, so why look down on mine?

The way I see it, I consider my transit photography as an art form, and I take my work very seriously. People tell me every day my pictures are awesome, no matter what they are. So I think I do a damn good job when it comes to my work. My status got 50+ hits because I defended myself and my work. I'm not going to be put down by a whole bunch of ignorant f***tards who'd rather "turn up" or "get lit" every day in the week. Do something productive with your life. And before you criticize someone else, check yourself and see if what you are doing is any better than what anyone else is doing.

lol... That's why I got rid of so many people on my personal pages. People are extremely insecure. I don't need or want those types of people around me, so I wouldn't even post a status update.  Just delete them completely and move on.

That's why I got rid of my Facebook,because it was mostly kids I knew from middle school who I don't see anymore...and when I posted the link to a codebreak thread here(whichever one had a LFS and the Jan '13 service changes) out come the insults and "choo-choo train" bullshit...So long story short I became very anti-social and had the mentality that if they aren't in my life now and all they are is fake friends why should I involve myself with them.A prime example:One day on 86th Street a girl I knew who goes to Tele,the Fort's rival school,saw me and tried to act all cutiepie,with the 'oh I haven't seen you in so long' BS,I had enough with the fact she had made fun of me all over FB for being a railfan and kept on walking with the parting words"Excuse me Im on my way to railfan the (J)(Z) ".Her face and body language was priceless.Oh how revenge is sweet...

Edited by Around the Horn

That's why I got rid of my Facebook,because it was mostly kids I knew from middle school who I don't see anymore...and when I posted the link to a codebreak thread here(whichever one had a LFS and the Jan '13 service changes) out come the insults and "choo-choo train" bullshit...So long story short I became very anti-social and had the mentality that if they aren't in my life now and all they are is fake friends why should I involve myself with them.A prime example:One day on 86th Street a girl I knew who goes to Tele,the Fort's rival school,saw me and tried to act all cutiepie,with the 'oh I haven't seen you in so long' BS,I had enough with the fact she had made fun of me all over FB for being a railfan and kept on walking with the parting words"Excuse me Im on my way to railfan the (J)(Z) ".Her face and body language was priceless.Oh how revenge is sweet...

lol... I don't even look for people on social websites anymore for the most part. Most of the people I have on any of my pages look for me and I always make sure I have control over whether or not they're on my friend list, this way I save myself the hassle later on of getting rid of them or dealing with their smart @ss remarks. People who have "hundreds" of "friends" just need to feel important.  At the most, most people have a handful of actual friends.  The rest are all associates or people you know casually.  A friend is someone who you can actually call in a crisis.  I have probably about 5 really good friends who I can call on for anything....  (Money, food, shelter, etc.  We're like brothers from another mother). The rest are all acquaintances. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

As you get older, you realize that popularity is no longer as important as you thought it would be. The smaller the circle of close friends you have that you know for certain will be there for you and can do the same in return (without even expecting it), the better. Less drama, less BS. Two of which I don't need.

@Around the Horn, power to you for standing that girl up. Normally I would be like "wtf you choosing a train over a girl for?", but in that case, it's justified.

If someone's gonna be disrespectful about your hobby, and no amount of explanation is going to get thru to the person, then I'd save myself the hassle and drop the person. Giving the other person more feedback just gives the person more attention than they deserve. Not worth the hassle.

No need for depression. No need for an explanation. Here's a solution: do what you've always been doing. If you must respond, don't feel bad about looking down on the other person for being the smaller man. You can even do it passively: I simply dress better than everyone else around me. And then no matter what I do, people will never raise a stink. They can't look down on the things you do if you're obviously of higher standards to the naked eye. Try it. Some people will think you're a professional photographer, film maker, or doing a college project. It works wonders even if people know you're none of those things. People will respect your hobby out of an inferiority complex. Have confidence in what you do no matter what, my man.

Edited by CenSin

No need for depression. No need for an explanation. Here's a solution: do what you've always been doing. If you must respond, don't feel bad about looking down on the other person for being the smaller man. You can even do it passively: I simply dress better than everyone else around me. And then no matter what I do, people will never raise a stink. They can't look down on the things you do if you're obviously of higher standards to the naked eye. Try it. Some people will think you're a professional photographer, film maker, or doing a college project. It works wonders even if people know you're none of those things. People will respect your hobby out of an inferiority complex. Have confidence in what you do no matter what, my man.

Well there is this girl in my English class who,lets be honest,doesnt do ANY and by any I mean ANY of the work,yet thinks she is entitled to force everyone else to do everything,for her,to the point that she'll drop her pen on purpose in order to make you pick it up,which I don't...She also shares the stereotypical "Railfans have no life" BS and said so herself last Thursday...I responded because if I dont they she keeps on with the BS,plus this is a great time to diss her.So I said "No,railfans do have a life because we pass our classes,do the work and have a future whereas you are too bad to even work at McDonalds"BURN or so I thought,because now she says We(railfans] do nothing but interrupt her life... to which I plan on responding "Since when are us railfans interested in your basement apartment".Lets hope that burns for a little longer...

Well there is this girl in my English class who,lets be honest,doesnt do ANY and by any I mean ANY of the work,yet thinks she is entitled to force everyone else to do everything,for her,to the point that she'll drop her pen on purpose in order to make you pick it up,which I don't...She also shares the stereotypical "Railfans have no life" BS and said so herself last Thursday...I responded because if I dont they she keeps on with the BS,plus this is a great time to diss her.So I said "No,railfans do have a life because we pass our classes,do the work and have a future whereas you are too bad to even work at McDonalds"BURN or so I thought,because now she says We(railfans] do nothing but interrupt her life... to which I plan on responding "Since when are us railfans interested in your basement apartment".Lets hope that burns for a little longer...

Exactly.

Edited by CenSin

+1 to GC and realizm

Stick to your own hobbies/interests. Trains, buses, cartoons, doesn't matter a single bit. It's sad that many other people cannot that fact. And those people are only interested in just very fewer things (girls, sports, car etc). I'll always isolate myself from those people.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Well there is this girl in my English class who,lets be honest,doesnt do ANY and by any I mean ANY of the work,yet thinks she is entitled to force everyone else to do everything,for her,to the point that she'll drop her pen on purpose in order to make you pick it up,which I don't...She also shares the stereotypical "Railfans have no life" BS and said so herself last Thursday...

What a bitch.

Eh, life moves on I suppose. Personally speaking, I would never push my interests aside to "accommodate" others, especially if via social media or another medium online.

On the same token I'd never let said interests interfere with other priorities offline. It's a nice balance if you think about it.

+1 to GC and realizm

Stick to your own hobbies/interests. Trains, buses, cartoons, doesn't matter a single bit. It's sad that many other people cannot that fact. And those people are only interested in just very fewer things (girls, sports, car etc). I'll always isolate myself from those people.

Oh dont isolate yourself from those people if they keep it real and respect you in your interests.

Too many people molded into the status quo and so called mainstream culture, I hear you. But yes girls, cars, sports etc, no doubt, thats perfectly fine, get into it. But hold on to your interst in transit, why not? it's your perogative. Along with an interest in transit, you are breaking apart the stereotype.

Indeed.

In fact it may make you more interesting to other people even girls in my opinion as it makes you stand out. Typical smart guy into sports, cars etc, tech stuff, photography (i.e. creativity pics as well as the train and bus pics) and that interest in transit. It will make you unique and more interesting as a person in the light of other people.

As for the haters give them your ass to kiss and keep it moving, know what i mean?

Eh, life moves on I suppose. Personally speaking, I would never push my interests aside to "accommodate" others, especially if via social media or another medium online.

On the same token I'd never let said interests interfere with other priorities offline. It's a nice balance if you think about it.

This. Thats what I'm saying.

Remember it's cool to be a non-conformist. You become more marketable than the average mass-produced people out there. But never fall for the trap of being anti-conformist.

non-conformist ≠ anti-conformist

An non-conformist does his own thing independent of everyone else. An anti-conformist takes what everyone else is doing and does the exact opposite which—logically—means that they are not free from the yoke of conformity; they're just marching with the crowd while facing the opposite way (which is quite stupid).

Remember it's cool to be a non-conformist. You become more marketable than the average mass-produced people out there. But never fall for the trap of being anti-conformist.

An non-conformist does his own thing independent of everyone else. An anti-conformist takes what everyone else is doing and does the exact opposite which—logically—means that they are not free from the yoke of conformity; they're just marching with the crowd while facing the opposite way (which is quite stupid).

One of the best break downs I've seen in a while, especially here.

Solid!

This is the truth everyone. Muse on this point. I am not even going to add to this one.

300px-MafiaIIcover.jpg

This is my game of 2010. This is one of the greatest video games I've ever played. If you have not played this game, you should. Its story is very, very enjoyable but has such a depressing ending. Its story is also very subtle but very meaningful and powerful. The protagonist/narrator/playable character (Vito Scaletta) is decent but I love his best friend (Joe Barbaro) because he is so funny and easily attached to. I was really pissed (but in a good way) about what happen to him at the very end of the game. The memories are great. I wonder if 2K will ever make a third Mafia game but I guess not.

welll I just broke my Razor A5 Lux kick scooter. the handlebars separated from the base. 

Looks like its time to get the Kickped from NYCEWheels... for 256 dollars...

I remember my first Razor from The Sharper Image. Now at my age and height I'd feel very awkward on one.