Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've mentioned a few times around this forum that I wish to return to New York once more. This was originally supposed to happen over the (Canadian) Thanksgiving break, but due to financial problems my parents suggested we push it back to Easter, or some such time around there, so that is what we did.

However, my mom, lately has become very much opposed to the idea of me visiting New York again. She's paranoid that something will happen to me, mostly fuelled by the shootings, people being showed down into the trackway in the subway, and that whole bizzare episode of the bikers attacking that guy on the highway a few months back.

I've tried pointing out to her that there are hundreds of transit fans on this forum who have never had anything happen to them, but she remains unconvinced. Would anyone have any advice on how I am supposed to convince her?

When I was younger, my parents wouldn't let me trek out with friends because I tend to come home late and they were afraid of the crimes that happen at night.

I basically told that that these crimes can happen in broad daylight and while I go to school so what difference does it make.  After that, I had the freedom to go out without question.

But different parents may have different opinions on that statement.  Thankfully once I hit 20, I never got questioned or bothered to do such things.

I've tried pointing out to her that there are hundreds of transit fans on this forum who have never had anything happen to them, but she remains unconvinced. Would anyone have any advice on how I am supposed to convince her?

If I was your parent, that bold statement would have no effect on me. Also if you were probably under 20, I'd be as protective as your parent as well.

Performed surgery on my laptop, the new screen works I'm so happy!!! I'm gonna put everything else back together tomorrow im tired and hungry!

Werd, props, you know your stuff.

Recently as a side job, I had to handle a 350 strong computer deployment in an office in Manhattan close to Union Square in the city. Run patch cable, resolve IP issues, deploy Win 7 images, assist net administrator in the set up Microsoft Exchange database, a million password resets and learned from it, now on my resume. As I provide as needed basis post deployment support to the software and finance departments.

I work on my own schedule as a consultant to get through nursing school with some bumps along the road. Yep alot of laptop and docking stations forgot to add that maybe 100.

Money to be made but its contract work, so expect competition from other techs. Get your CompTIA A+ then the MCTS and Net + to back up your credentials. Get on the tech forums. get in paid internships. If not just get in a office even if you are the office boy but your employer sees that you got computer savvy skills he may test you with MS Excel and Word tasks work related. Then the IT manager becomes interested etc etc...

You are still young that makes you popular in today's job market, private sector. Thats what the CIOs in IT are looking for, for real. You need to enter the IT field and make it a career.

I'm just getting through nursing school as I see the benefit for the major dollars and unionized perks. Basically looking for a career that can support a wife and kids.

Edited by realizm

I've mentioned a few times around this forum that I wish to return to New York once more. This was originally supposed to happen over the (Canadian) Thanksgiving break, but due to financial problems my parents suggested we push it back to Easter, or some such time around there, so that is what we did.

However, my mom, lately has become very much opposed to the idea of me visiting New York again. She's paranoid that something will happen to me, mostly fuelled by the shootings, people being showed down into the trackway in the subway, and that whole bizzare episode of the bikers attacking that guy on the highway a few months back.

Here in New York City, I always avoid rough areas such as parks and residental homes. One day when I was walking home after getting off the B46 bus, I got beat up by a large group of unidentified high school students. This happen on East New York Avenue. Two couple comfort me afterwards and several cops who seen the students on the streets were on their tails. 

From that point on, I've learn my lesson to not walk near any gangs. Another time is when two goons came up to me and demanding to know if I have a problem with "their mans". They also told me to come with them, and then I said "No. I don't even know who you guys or your friends are." They smack me and I ran off while they chased me. This happen on Rochester Avenue after I get off the (4) train to get home. I managed to loose them afterwards. I learn my lesson not to walk on streets where there's a large park across (For example, Lincoln Terrace Park is across the street). 

There are bad things that can happen at certain times of the day/night. It just depends if there's any groups of gangsters consisting of two or more people. Always to stay alert and walk on busier streets/avenues where there are stores and shops. You can also walk on quiet areas but just make sure you aren't being followed by any thugs along the way, including at parks and when you're walking towards home. Just trying to make a valid point.

When I was younger, my parents wouldn't let me trek out with friends because I tend to come home late and they were afraid of the crimes that happen at night.

I basically told that that these crimes can happen in broad daylight and while I go to school so what difference does it make.  After that, I had the freedom to go out without question.

But different parents may have different opinions on that statement.  Thankfully once I hit 20, I never got questioned or bothered to do such things.

If I was your parent, that bold statement would have no effect on me. Also if you were probably under 20, I'd be as protective as your parent as well.

I've also pointed out to her that crimes can happen anywhere and that Canada isn't exactly a crime-free haven either, but I think cracking her is gonna be more of a long term project. I'll try what I can, though.

I know that she is only protective because she loves me, but it does get frustrating sometimes. I wouldn't stand close to the platform edge, anyway, I always stand well back, it's derived from a childhood paranoia, and I always make sure to steer clear of strange looking people.

Here in New York City, I always avoid rough areas such as parks and residental homes. One day when I was walking home after getting off the B46 bus, I got beat up by a large group of unidentified high school students. This happen on East New York Avenue. Two couple comfort me afterwards and several cops who seen the students on the streets were on their tails. 

From that point on, I've learn my lesson to not walk near any gangs. Another time is when two goons came up to me and demanding to know if I have a problem with "their mans". They also told me to come with them, and then I said "No. I don't even know who you guys or your friends are." They smack me and I ran off while they chased me. This happen on Rochester Avenue after I get off the (4) train to get home. I managed to loose them afterwards. I learn my lesson not to walk on streets where there's a large park across (For example, Lincoln Terrace Park is across the street). 

There are bad things that can happen at certain times of the day/night. It just depends if there's any groups of gangsters consisting of two or more people. Always to stay alert and walk on busier streets/avenues where there are stores and shops. You can also walk on quiet areas but just make sure you aren't being followed by any thugs along the way, including at parks and when you're walking towards home. Just trying to make a valid point.

The plan was to get a hotel in a place near Battery Park, as happened the first time we came (second time, we got a hotel near 34th Street/7th in midtown. Not particularly dangerous but more... I don't know - run down, I guess?) When at a subway station in the outer boroughs, as I have no doubt I would find myself in at one point or another, I wouldn't go running around the adjacent neighborhoods, always making sure to keep in the fare paid area, and it's not as if I would be riding the subway at night anyway.

Try to explain to moms that there are good and bad parts of NYC. If she really takes issue can you get a pal to tag along or meet one or two who are your age here in the states? She may feel more secure if you are in good company with your trusted peers. Stay away from the psychotic foamers alot of them out there. Its your business, you dont have to reply but just throwing it out there.

And of course make sure you get those R62A , R142A and R188 pics on the (6) and (7) as you make it here.

I've also pointed out to her that crimes can happen anywhere and that Canada isn't exactly a crime-free haven either, but I think cracking her is gonna be more of a long term project. I'll try what I can, though.

I know that she is only protective because she loves me, but it does get frustrating sometimes. I wouldn't stand close to the platform edge, anyway, I always stand well back, it's derived from a childhood paranoia, and I always make sure to steer clear of strange looking people.

The plan was to get a hotel in a place near Battery Park, as happened the first time we came (second time, we got a hotel near 34th Street/7th in midtown. Not particularly dangerous but more... I don't know - run down, I guess?) When at a subway station in the outer boroughs, as I have no doubt I would find myself in at one point or another, I wouldn't go running around the adjacent neighborhoods, always making sure to keep in the fare paid area, and it's not as if I would be riding the subway at night anyway.

She has separation anxiety. Alot of mothers will naturally feel this way. But if you as you are doing explain to her you have a failproof plan she may accept and let you go about your biz.

Not a foolproof plan, but avoid the buses and subways around 2:30-4pm as that's the time the school kids will be loose. I generally avoid the large groups of kids if possible. I know it's probably insanely expensive to hire those yellow buses, but enough already using the MTA to ferry the kids back. I'd like to take a train/bus ride without 50+ kids acting like they've been released from some asylum or prison. Manhattan is probably the best place to go to as far as safety in general. If it's like a subway centric trip, the southern brooklyn bmt lines are also pretty safe. The A to the rockaways is also ok, but I'd prefer to stick with the Rock Park S than venture to the Far Rock end of the line. As long as you are staying in the station (not venturing down to the streets), then I'd say for the most part you'd be fine. I haven't been on the 3 past Utica in a while and the D past 161st, so I can't comment about those lines, but imo, probably best to avoid those lines and you aren't missing out on much anyway.

To back up the in broad daylight stuff. I was walking back home in my area and was stopped by 3 guys. One of them looked like he was smoking a joint, asked me to show him my wallet. I just kept walking away. And thank god they didn't try to chase after me. I kept a steady pace and walked a few blocks away to make sure they were gone. But that point on, I'm always on full alert even in my own neighborhood. In a sense this is where those google glasses would've been great to get a pic of the scum and upload it online.

Not a foolproof plan, but avoid the buses and subways around 2:30-4pm as that's the time the school kids will be loose. I generally avoid the large groups of kids if possible.

Good advice. The schoolkids can be wilding out on the buses near the schools. The subway is safer during that time though in Manhattan, patrol is high in such areas. Keep your point and shoot/DSLR concealed in the case of thieves and pickpockets.

Staying in the T/O or C/R cars is also a good idea. Dont do what I do as myself, as they can't mess with me and win plus I am very streetsmart. Many times its like I have to stare them down and even step to them to get my point across if caught up in a situation with wilding kids and crooks and they are clearly giving me the hint they are even thinking about getting my camera or money, I will f**k you up if they try.

But in this case, with him coming from Canada that will be the wisest thing to do I agree. In fact with some who railfan with myself I always make sure they are safe. .

Edited by realizm

Not a foolproof plan, but avoid the buses and subways around 2:30-4pm as that's the time the school kids will be loose. 

Keep your point and shoot/DSLR concealed in the case of thieves and pickpockets.

Valid points, but you don't always have to keep it concealed, just be aware of your surroundings.  A lot of thefts are comprised of people who don't keep aware of their surroundings.

Another example for your mother would be that you would keep close contact about your whereabouts and of course stay in populated areas as well. Like 'Grand Concourse' points out, the afternoon rush in the outer boroughs will have tons of school kids on the train, so if you want a peace of mind, avoid them as 'realizm' points out, they can be ratchet as f*ck.

Negotiations began again yesterday, and as my family already wants to visit Florida in the summer of next year, my mother suggested that we include a 2 night stopover in the city either before or after. That works just fine for me, with the added bonus of not having irritating kids on the train. Given we'll all be there (previously, it was only me and my dad going), hopefully she'll be less concerned, given we'll be in the same city. In any case, since I'm still a minor then my dad will be there and I don't think criminals and lowlifes would be as inclined to cause trouble as they would be were I going alone.

As far as the safety of lines go, how are the Jamaica and Flushing Els? Getting pics of the R42s and the R62A/R188 swap is my top priority.