Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Getting pics of the R42s and the R62A/R188 swap is my top priority.

They usually have about 2-3 sets of the older cars out on the (J) during most of the off-peak hours. If you want to get an RFW or just a ride on the R42s, try around the 1:00 or 2:00 p.m. hours in the afternoon before the PM skip-stop service pattern. Broadway Junction or Chauncey Street is the best bet because when the PM skip-stop service pattern is about to start, an R42 sometimes comes out of the East New York Yard as a (Z) to start service at either of those two stations going southbound to Broad Street. This only happens some days, it all just depends on the (J) crews, dispatchers and/or managers.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Negotiations began again yesterday, and as my family already wants to visit Florida in the summer of next year, my mother suggested that we include a 2 night stopover in the city either before or after. That works just fine for me, with the added bonus of not having irritating kids on the train. Given we'll all be there (previously, it was only me and my dad going), hopefully she'll be less concerned, given we'll be in the same city. In any case, since I'm still a minor then my dad will be there and I don't think criminals and lowlifes would be as inclined to cause trouble as they would be were I going alone.

As far as the safety of lines go, how are the Jamaica and Flushing Els? Getting pics of the R42s and the R62A/R188 swap is my top priority.

I've taken pics at the Marcy and Myrtle av stations. The Jamaica el stops and even the alabama av stop by the ENY depot wasn't too bad. But I guess (and depends how much time you have) I guess you can go to Myrtle or Alabama av (island platform so you can take the train across the platform to return back to manhattan). ENY, it technically isn't that bad if it isn't school hours and I've transfered from the J to L and J to A and never had any problems, but since for you this is the first time, I can't really say what you should do, but will say it's not as bad as you'd think and as always be aware of your surroundings.

The rest of the way is if you really want to get pics of the trains on the curves like at Crecent st or Cypress hills. Flushing, as stated, is busy, so no worries there.

ttcsubwayfan, one more thing, always keep your wallet and passport in your front pocket. You understand the rules in a wild international party zone such as NYC. (The girls are gorgeous from all over the world I have this crush on this hot japanese chick but this persian chick got such gorgeous eyes and i see her everyday, TMI never mind....). Always keep a printout of your MTA rules of conduct. Dont f**k with nobody not worth it. be streetsmart. But peacemak3r brings good points reread his posts.

So if you like I can see if some are down to take you around the system and be safe for sure, I'm down to assist by helping to show you around I have to railfan for new pics during the current R188/R62A swap anyway with a plan to purchase a tool the pro uses, (N) via West End and videos etc etc. So you have time to think about it. I may be busy IT job and Nursing school.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I look forward to the trip.

ttcsubwayfan, one more thing, always keep your wallet and passport in your front pocket. You understand the rules in a wild international party zone such as NYC. (The girls are gorgeous from all over the world I have this crush on this hot japanese chick but this persian chick got such gorgeous eyes and i see her everyday, TMI never mind....). Always keep a printout of your MTA rules of conduct. Dont f**k with nobody not worth it. be streetsmart. But peacemak3r brings good points reread his posts.

So if you like I can see if some are down to take you around the system and be safe for sure, I'm down to assist by helping to show you around I have to railfan for new pics during the current R188/R62A swap anyway with a plan to purchase a tool the pro uses, (N) via West End and videos etc etc. So you have time to think about it. I may be busy IT job and Nursing school.

Thanks for the offer, but I'd prefer not to make plans so long before the trip, especially if something comes up before hand (one hopes nothing will). As for the comment about partying... I'm only 16 (and fairly down to earth, when compared to others my age), there will be no partying on my part :lol:

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Thanks for the tips, guys! I look forward to the trip.

Thanks for the offer, but I'd prefer not to make plans so long before the trip, especially if something comes up before hand (one hopes nothing will). As for the comment about partying... I'm only 16 (and fairly down to earth, when compared to others my age), there will be no partying on my part :lol:

No probs, you'll figure it by March how you will do this whenever you make that trip and fly into JFK. 

I've taken pics at the Marcy and Myrtle av stations. The Jamaica el stops and even the alabama av stop by the ENY depot wasn't too bad. But I guess (and depends how much time you have) I guess you can go to Myrtle or Alabama av (island platform so you can take the train across the platform to return back to manhattan). ENY, it technically isn't that bad if it isn't school hours and I've transfered from the J to L and J to A and never had any problems, but since for you this is the first time, I can't really say what you should do, but will say it's not as bad as you'd think and as always be aware of your surroundings.

The rest of the way is if you really want to get pics of the trains on the curves like at Crecent st or Cypress hills. Flushing, as stated, is busy, so no worries there.

Yep stations mentioned, good spots for shots came out great except some like Myrtle, crazy crowded.. Thats what I did when I posted over the summer.

I've mentioned a few times around this forum that I wish to return to New York once more. This was originally supposed to happen over the (Canadian) Thanksgiving break, but due to financial problems my parents suggested we push it back to Easter, or some such time around there, so that is what we did.

However, my mom, lately has become very much opposed to the idea of me visiting New York again. She's paranoid that something will happen to me, mostly fuelled by the shootings, people being showed down into the trackway in the subway, and that whole bizzare episode of the bikers attacking that guy on the highway a few months back.

I've tried pointing out to her that there are hundreds of transit fans on this forum who have never had anything happen to them, but she remains unconvinced. Would anyone have any advice on how I am supposed to convince her?

Here in New York City, I always avoid rough areas such as parks and residental homes. One day when I was walking home after getting off the B46 bus, I got beat up by a large group of unidentified high school students. This happen on East New York Avenue. Two couple comfort me afterwards and several cops who seen the students on the streets were on their tails. 

From that point on, I've learn my lesson to not walk near any gangs. Another time is when two goons came up to me and demanding to know if I have a problem with "their mans". They also told me to come with them, and then I said "No. I don't even know who you guys or your friends are." They smack me and I ran off while they chased me. This happen on Rochester Avenue after I get off the (4) train to get home. I managed to loose them afterwards. I learn my lesson not to walk on streets where there's a large park across (For example, Lincoln Terrace Park is across the street). 

There are bad things that can happen at certain times of the day/night. It just depends if there's any groups of gangsters consisting of two or more people. Always to stay alert and walk on busier streets/avenues where there are stores and shops. You can also walk on quiet areas but just make sure you aren't being followed by any thugs along the way, including at parks and when you're walking towards home. Just trying to make a valid point.

Mean while in chicago...

I actually venture to the rough parts of the city, usually during midday and with another person. Mainly because all of the interesting planning/ non for profits are in the rough parts. I was down on 35th/46th last saturday... Not a rough part but still decaying. No problems. Actually a decent area imo.

South of 45th the warnings start to go up. But usually ive found its peaceful during the day.

Your risk of getting shot or killed is low compared to pickpocketing and other petty crime. I think people tend to overexaggurate crime. Having said that, people get shot every day here. We had a shooting on the CTA last night actually. In a part of the city that is relatively peaceful.

And i agree with the quiet areas part. I was in Lincoln Square, a kinda hipster part of the city , before sun down. Peaceful, quiet. I leave and two hours later at 7pm some one was shot and killed.

Here, i've had no issues. Havent bren to NYC to comment enough. But the same rules apply as they do here.

Btw when I go to boston... Im going to be the nut that goes down to Mattapan (not only to see thr PCC's) to see what its like and why it has a bad rep.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk

What a day! Started my birthday off (I turned 22!) with and Orion 5 on the S74 at 6:30 in the morning and then remained in Staten Island until 11:00. Took the M15 Select to 42nd Street and searched for a vintage bus on the M42. I caught GM Old Look 9098 and rode it for a trip and a half. Went to Queens to see if any Orion 5 CNGs were running, but unfortunately I did not see any. Went back to Staten Island via LIRR and the X17J, met up with some friends at the mall and caught my driver friend on the S61 (he had a hybrid, ugh! Totally killed the day lol). Then I finally ended the day with 6276 on the S53 and took the trains home. So yeah, today was a good day as well as a good birthday. (y)

Well I'm 22 now. 

So am I ! Happy birthday man.

before everyone starts chiming in on their outrage of Phil robertson and how this is ruining their importiant show.. i just have to make my thoughts  he was wrong and racist, also those screaming you are treading on his 1st amendment rights  well idk what they taught you in school  the first amendment is not unlimited and in his case he was right in being punished you cant just yell fire in a movie theater  also he represents a brand and he said something wrong and the brand determined he was toxic so they punished him.

I-See-What-You-Did-There-Fry1.jpg

Forced meme is forced.

Mines biggr n yerrs... Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Whatever makes you feel better, Knux.

LMAO... I don't even wanna know....  :ph34r:

Rules of engagement dictate you continue the discussion.

Anyway, can we get a size comparison worth while? Perhaps something akin to what's in Sexiest Women Alive?

Excessive hornyness aside...

If someparts of your youtube video are upside down...can you edit it on youtube to have those parts show normal

To my knowledge, you have to edit them before uploading it to Youtube.

You make me curious, though. Under what circumstances would (most) videos be filmed upside down?

Excessive hornyness aside...

To my knowledge, you have to edit them before uploading it to Youtube.

You make me curious, though. Under what circumstances would (most) videos be filmed upside down?

I use my phone to nake vids...and if i turn it clockwide and record it works...and if i turn it counterclockwise it also works...however...i started recording clockwise...then i recorded counter clockwise...and thats when i didnt know it was recording upside down...because i pause my vids occasionally

I picked up a Canon Rebel T5i the other day to replace my broken P&S. The camera cost nearly $1,000 which I find outrageous considering it is more of a closer to entry level consumer based DSLR, but I'm rather impressed with it. Maybe I'll put some photos up this week since its Winter Vacation :D