Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would any of you be interested if I posted my big SEPTA design project in the Art & Graphic Design forum?

Go for it!

Here is the link to my introductory post explaining the conditions of the designs:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/44797-around-the-horns-septa-design-project/

I've been following a recent outbreak of a new respiratory illness called MERS which is caused by a novel strain of a coronavirus that is usually endemic to camels but now can infect humans. Coronaviruses tend to cause lower respiratory infections which can be lethal in some cases. SARS also belongs in the same family of coronaviruses. Symptoms of MERS is usually pneumonia much like SARS however it can also create the onset of kidney failure, which is unusual for a coronavirus infection.  The persons most susceptible to the disease are older ones unlike SARS that can cause further harm to younger ones and young adults due to what is called a cytokine storm. About 100 cases have been documented so far.

_74617901_mers.jpg

Now it seems MERS is spreading to the US as was reported yesterday. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27264460

Such novel viruses, also the viruses traditionally responsible for the common cold, flu or tuberculosis are usually transmitted by means of airborne droplets. That means that usually if a person sneezes droplets can travel at the most about 3 feet. Hand hygiene is essential when traveling to prevent yourself from getting sick. It works as this is exactly one of things healthcare professionals in hospitals must do when going from patient to patient following droplet precautions. Wash hands and/or use sanitizer frequently.

Edited by realizm

I've been following a recent outbreak of a new respiratory illness called MERS which is caused by a novel strain of a coronavirus that is usually endemic to camels but now can infect humans. Coronaviruses tend to cause lower respiratory infections which can be lethal in some cases. SARS also belongs in the same family of coronaviruses. Symptoms of MERS is usually pneumonia much like SARS however it can also create the onset of kidney failure, which is unusual for a coronavirus infection.  The persons most susceptible to the disease are older ones unlike SARS that can cause further harm to younger ones and young adults due to what is called a cytokine storm. About 100 cases have been documented so far.

_74617901_mers.jpg

Now it seems MERS is spreading to the US as was reported yesterday. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27264460

Such novel viruses, also the viruses traditionally responsible for the common cold, flu or tuberculosis are usually transmitted by means of airborne droplets. That means that usually if a person sneezes droplets can travel at the most about 3 feet. Hand hygiene is essential when traveling to prevent yourself from getting sick. It works as this is exactly one of things healthcare professionals in hospitals must do when going from patient to patient following droplet precautions. Wash hands and/or use sanitizer frequently.

Excellent research! +1

Excellent research! +1

Thanks. I'm studying for this damn test next week and these are one of the subjects that may be on it.

There's a direct link between respiratory failure and kidney failure. If in the case of MERS it causes severe pneumonia what happens is that the lungs becomes so consolidated it creates a cascade effect. Lack of proper ventilation due to infection causes poor perfusion (poor gas exchange) in the alveoli of the lung parenchyma, which causes a V/Q mismatch. That can result in respiratory distress leading to failure. In the process no oxygen is going to the vital organs which includes the kidneys. In the worst case scenario, the oxygen supply to the heart is cut off resulting in cardiac failure. If that happens the patient dies.

That was why with MERS and also its cousin SARS had such a high mortality rate. (30% vs 50%). The CDC also WHO are taking this outbreak very seriously. As of now only antivirals such as Tamiflu or Relenza may at least reduce the symptoms. In severe cases, interventions such as

(Warning: graphic) may be required to save the patients life.

Thanks. I'm studying for this damn test next week and these are one of the subjects that may be on it.

There's a direct link between respiratory failure and kidney failure. If in the case of MERS it causes severe pneumonia what happens is that the lungs becomes so consolidated it creates a cascade effect. Lack of proper ventilation due to infection causes poor perfusion (poor gas exchange) in the alveoli of the lung parenchyma, which causes a V/Q mismatch. That can result in respiratory distress leading to failure. In the process no oxygen is going to the vital organs which includes the kidneys. In the worst case scenario, the oxygen supply to the heart is cut off resulting in cardiac failure. If that happens the patient dies.

That was why with MERS and also its cousin SARS had such a high mortality rate. (30% vs 50%). The CDC also WHO are taking this outbreak very seriously. As of now only antivirals such as Tamiflu or Relenza may at least reduce the symptoms. In severe cases, interventions such as

(Warning: graphic) may be required to save the patients life.

Damn! A lot to study for....

[surrounded by a cloud of red smoke]

I am the terror that flaps in the night.

I am... obviously out of my trademark blue smoke.

Moliarty: Darkwing Duck? Sounds like something I should try with eggroll.

Edited by Missabassi

Since the video was deleted on YouTube, here's the WSHH link since they rarely delete anything.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhVZxU1aDe4nJ8q4I0

Unfortunately we still have embittered and hateful people in this world. Only thing though is that in a case like that, the woman should make it clear she is not moving from that seat. If he continued on his racist tirade, as he did, she should have called the cops because now thats criminal harassment, technically.

I cant blame the men for reacting the way that they did when the bigot started harassing the woman however they should have been more careful because police officers are not going to care who started the argument or why....

Arterial blood gas analysis provides information on the following:

1] Oxygenation of blood through gas exchange in the lungs.

2] Carbon dioxide (CO2) elimination through respiration.

3] Acid-base balance or imbalance in extra-cellular fluid (ECF).

Normal Blood Gases

Arterial Venous

pH 7.35 - 7.45 7.32 - 7.42

Not a gas, but a measurement of acidity or alkalinity, based on the hydrogen (H+) ions present. The pH of a solution is equal to the negative log of the hydrogen ion

concentration in that solution: pH = - log [H+].

PaO2 80 to 100 mm Hg. 28 - 48 mm Hg

The partial pressure of oxygen that is dissolved in arterial blood.

New Born – Acceptable range 40-70 mm Hg.

Elderly: Subtract 1 mm Hg from the minimal 80 mm Hg level for every year over 60 years of age: 80 - (age- 60) (Note: up to age 90)

HCO3 22 to 26 mEq/liter

(21–28 mEq/L) 19 to 25 mEq/liter

The calculated value of the amount of bicarbonate in the bloodstream. Not a blood gas but the anion of carbonic acid.

PaCO2 35-45 mm Hg 38-52 mm Hg

The amount of carbon dioxide dissolved in arterial blood. Measured. Partial pressure of arterial CO2. (Note: Large A= alveolor CO2).

CO2 is called a “volatile acid” because it can combine reversibly with H2O to yield a strongly acidic H+ ion and a weak basic bicarbonate ion (HCO3 -) according to the following equation: CO2 + H2O <--- --> H+ + HCO3 B.E. –2 to +2 mEq/liter

tumblr_lo3jbuisFG1qb6wx2.jpg

Edited by realizm

Arterial blood gas analysis provides information on the following:

1] Oxygenation of blood through gas exchange in the lungs.

2] Carbon dioxide (CO2) elimination through respiration.

3] Acid-base balance or imbalance in extra-cellular fluid (ECF).

Normal Blood Gases

Arterial Venous

pH 7.35 - 7.45 7.32 - 7.42

Not a gas, but a measurement of acidity or alkalinity, based on the hydrogen (H+) ions present. The pH of a solution is equal to the negative log of the hydrogen ion

concentration in that solution: pH = - log [H+].

PaO2 80 to 100 mm Hg. 28 - 48 mm Hg

The partial pressure of oxygen that is dissolved in arterial blood.

New Born – Acceptable range 40-70 mm Hg.

Elderly: Subtract 1 mm Hg from the minimal 80 mm Hg level for every year over 60 years of age: 80 - (age- 60) (Note: up to age 90)

HCO3 22 to 26 mEq/liter

(21–28 mEq/L) 19 to 25 mEq/liter

The calculated value of the amount of bicarbonate in the bloodstream. Not a blood gas but the anion of carbonic acid.

PaCO2 35-45 mm Hg 38-52 mm Hg

The amount of carbon dioxide dissolved in arterial blood. Measured. Partial pressure of arterial CO2. (Note: Large A= alveolor CO2).

CO2 is called a “volatile acid” because it can combine reversibly with H2O to yield a strongly acidic H+ ion and a weak basic bicarbonate ion (HCO3 -) according to the following equation: CO2 + H2O <--- --> H+ + HCO3 B.E. –2 to +2 mEq/liter

tumblr_lo3jbuisFG1qb6wx2.jpg

Lol Today in Chem we were learning about pH...

Lol Today in Chem we were learning about pH...

Well it definitely applies to the medical field. In my case one of the things I need to know is how to draw blood from the radial arteries and interpret arterial blood gas tests to determine the rate of PaO2, PaCO2, Bicarbonate and pH levels in the blood so I know how to adjust settings on mechanical ventilators on intubated patients in the ER, ICU, NICU, operating room, etc. That's why I have to learn it.

Normal levels indicate that there is proper perfusion in the lungs. If it is abnormal, the blood saturation (SpO2) will drop. If it goes below 95%, it may present a problem. If it drops below 90% and the respiratory rate drops below 10 breaths per min, the patient may become hypoxic, which is a medical emergency.

The normal blood pH range in adults is 7.35.

If the pH level drops that becomes acidosis. That's because the PaCo2 is higher than 45 mm Hg. The patient begins to struggle to breathe. That's an early sign of respiratory failure, congestive heart failure or ventricular fibrillation for a variety of reasons.

If the pH level is higher than 7.35 that's an indication of alkadosis. Thats a sign of hypoventilation. That's also a sign of oxygen toxicity if the respiratory care practitioner screws up on medical gas therapy or fouls up on the FiO2 (air to oxygen ratio) on a mechanical ventilator. Too much O2 can cause brain damage and knock a patient into an irreversible coma even without sedation for life support.

Thats not even scraping the surface.

Chemistry is very important in the sciences and therefore in a field of employment by extension, in this case, nursing.

Edited by realizm