Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Basic fact of life. I think that majority of people must be like this in this world....

A majority are.

Let me tell you something my friend as we are discussing this in agreement (and +1) : Narcissistic and sociopathic people love to brag about their material accomplishments and flaunt it not realizing they can hit rockbottom in a second. As the saying goes: Watch where you are standing that you do not fall.

Reference: http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2008/08/04/how-to-spot-a-narcissist/

"The protective insulation barrier he constructed is called a false persona. He created a false identity. This identity is not the true person inside. The many types of false personas or identities that an extreme narcissist creates can vary.

Some narcissists may have the ability to change into a variety of identities according to the situation. The wounded child inside may choose to present a front as a “bad ass” and tough individual. He may look, by appearance, intimidating and scary to the average person. He could also play the “nice guy/person” whom everyone likes. A corporate type version can be one that is diplomatic, proper, and appearing to care but in reality does not. Another very likeable extreme narcissist can be the one that chooses the comedian role. He is the life of the party and has everyone in stitches, making them laugh constantly. Everyone wants to include this person because they are a lot of fun."

That pretty much identifies the internet tough guy.

I wonder what such a person will do once they lose it all due to hardships....

Edited by realizm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/outrage-nurse-tapes-shut-newborn-mouth-stop-crying-article-1.178961

tape13n-4-web_zpsd85820d2.jpg

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, May 12, 2014, 7:51 PM

A crying newborn was muzzled with a strip of tape by nurses at a Philippines maternity ward, an outraged father claims.

New dad Ryan Noval posted pictures to Facebook showing his son, Yohannes Noval, sleeping with the strip smushed across his upper lip and across both his cheeks.

Another snapshot shows the boy, at just five days old, wailing away as the tape begins to come off his face.
Noval claims his wife, Jasmine, returned to the nursery Friday evening to find the baby gagged with tape at the Cebu City hospital.

“This is not even close to being professional or humane,” the furious father wrote on Facebook. “Jasmine immediately asked the attending nurse ‘why is there tape over his mouth?’ and the reply she got from the nurse was ‘your baby was TOO NOISY (crying) so I put that over his mouth….’”

=====================================================================================

Despicable!

The nurses I have worked with will NEVER do such a thing! They would rather carefully nurture the child while assessing the neonate to rule out pain in the child or underlying health complication post birth. A crying baby can be a sign of a medical problem!!

One time one of the pediatric nurses placed a baby in my arms as I was checking its oxygen blender/bubble BiPap after setting up an incubator to it to keep the baby warm in a blanket as she was tending to another poor crying neonate. While feeding it before I put back on the nasal cannula (For medical gas therapy it was premature at birth the size of bith my hands poor little thing) Now thats how its done! We care for our neonate patients! 

Thats what we do as HCPs to take care of our young patients! Not tape up their mouths. I swear I wanted to put my fist into a friggin wall when I read this crap! 

Edited by realizm

sociopathic people

Speaking of sociopaths (and I'm not sure what exactly defines one), I find that they are necessary characters when the situation calls for it. I've been burning through movies on Netflix this week, and it's remarkable what a person can see and do when they discard the "baggage" that normal people haul around. I just finished Last Days on Mars and the only person with any common sense was the one that didn't treat the zombies as if they still had human in them. Emotions and social protocols do get in the way of some jobs, and it's a reason why some people are highly successful in life: they are not distracted by the intricacies. Some people must learn the traits as they go along and apply them in the appropriate settings, but socialpaths start out like that from the very beginning and have to learn when to put on an act of normality. It's a mixed blessing/curse no matter which one you are.

One thing is for sure, the internet is a sociopathic playground apparently. They run rampant like flea infested rats.

Essentially, a sociopath will lie, charm and use others, without a moment's thought of remorse over hurting anyone else in the process. They find utter joy in winning over petty non issues and lack sincere humulity, with the goal of humiliating others in a sick jaded sense of gaining superiority. They cannot admit when they are wrong and when they are called out they go into a rampage.

Sociopaths are not in tune with the world nor give two damns about humanitarian issues. They lack sympathy or even a drop of empathy. If they seem that they do they are really putting up a front just for the sake of gaining popularity depending on the subject discussed whether it be facebook, a blog and what not. Selfish and such they only care about themselves trust me. They could care less about the plight of others and even glee over it. Hey theyb have it good so what the hell do they care about the next man down on hard times.

Sociopaths harbor all sorts of underlying prejudices that only thise in the minority who are astute can catch on to. They may appear to be charming, yet in rality are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their targets as merely an instrument to be used to met their ends of flaunting their percieved superiority.

They covet over material things and material successes they posessed as a handout from riuch families, with disregard for those who are fighting hard to succeed in life from the rockbottom up purposefully formenting envy. They could care less about the struggle of others. Success is a wondrful thing definitely. Rubbing it in the face of others who are on hard times, struggling, trapped is another matter. See the term attention whore.

They want to put on a persona that they are tough when in reality they cant even look a person in the eye when in an actual social setting. The language and attitude they use on the internet behind the keboard, they will never try to express it in public, because they know they will never get away with that behavior if they even tried. See the term shallow minded internet tough guy.

The list goes on and on......

==============================================================================

Speaking of sociopaths (and I'm not sure what exactly defines one), I find that they are necessary characters when the situation calls for it. I've been burning through movies on Netflix this week, and it's remarkable what a person can see and do when they discard the "baggage" that normal people haul around. I just finished Last Days on Mars and the only person with any common sense was the one that didn't treat the zombies as if they still had human in them. Emotions and social protocols do get in the way of some jobs, and it's a reason why some people are highly successful in life: they are not distracted by the intricacies. Some people must learn the traits as they go along and apply them in the appropriate settings, but socialpaths start out like that from the very beginning and have to learn when to put on an act of normality. It's a mixed blessing/curse no matter which one you are.

I think thats a valid point. My view is slightly different, but on many points however I may be inclined to agree. However in my estimation, I think theres a differnce between what makes a strong person with set goals to succeed with heart and what defines a full blown sociopathic jerk. If I read your quote wrong feel free to correct me. But let me share my thoughts on this....

On sociopaths in a work setting maybe thats the case that many are successful.... at the expense of the suffering of others with their abusive and domineering tendancies. I'll even give you an extreme example: Stalin. Clearly a sociopath he was a so called great leader who brought Russia out of the dumps to become a great nation. At the expense of millions of lives, his own people.

Let me not even get into todays Tea Party who only support the 5 percenters and rather see the poor in America die in the streets by building a unbreakable glass ceiling and establishing a wide gap between income classes. Why? Try understanding how a sociopath thinks.... I have a very hard time grasping it since I actually have a sane mind so its very hard for me to do, to see their reasoning behind it.

We have employers, CEOs and billionares today who are the same way although not to this extreme. But they will do everything the can to reach success and establish control even in politics at the expense of the poor working class. Its no wonder that America today is a defacto segregated oliarch state of the filthy rich rather than a democratic country. Let alone New York City...

===============================================================================

The internet and the idiocy we see is just a reflection of a big problem in society today not seen in the past decades post civil rights movement era. We are certaintly going backwards, not forward. A scary prospect for our children who one day will pick up where we left off. I hope that they can see the mistakes we have made in the post millenium learn from it and make this country a better place. But I certaintly am not wishing upon a star nor holding my breath over it.

Its a very cold world out there. The mirror that reflects the dark future that awaits us in this world unless the will to change things for the better can be established, is the internet.

Edited by realizm

Let me not even get into todays Tea Party who only support the 5 percenters and rather see the poor in America die in the streets by building a unbreakable glass ceiling and establishing a wide gap between income classes. Why? Try understanding how a sociopath thinks.... I have a very hard time grasping it since I actually have a sane mind so its very hard for me to do, to see their reasoning behind it.

I have my foot on both sides of the dividing line, though I lean more towards sociopathy. My understanding is that sociopaths are not insane. They just have different priorities, values, and perhaps morality ("selfishness is a virtue and altruism is a vice" as suggested by Ayn Rand). But the Tea Party that wants to enact policies that are assured to destroy all of us together — that is insane (the popular definition of it anyway).

One thing is for sure, the internet is a sociopathic playground apparently. They run rampant like flea infested rats.

Essentially, a sociopath will lie, charm and use others, without a moment's thought of remorse over hurting anyone else in the process. They find utter joy in winning over petty non issues and lack sincere humulity, with the goal of humiliating others in a sick jaded sense of gaining superiority. They cannot admit when they are wrong and when they are called out they go into a rampage.

Sociopaths are not in tune with the world nor give two damns about humanitarian issues. They lack sympathy or even a drop of empathy. If they seem that they do they are really putting up a front just for the sake of gaining popularity depending on the subject discussed whether it be facebook, a blog and what not. Selfish and such they only care about themselves trust me. They could care less about the plight of others and even glee over it. Hey theyb have it good so what the hell do they care about the next man down on hard times.

Sociopaths harbor all sorts of underlying prejudices that only thise in the minority who are astute can catch on to. They may appear to be charming, yet in rality are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their targets as merely an instrument to be used to met their ends of flaunting their percieved superiority.

They covet over material things and material successes they posessed as a handout from riuch families, with disregard for those who are fighting hard to succeed in life from the rockbottom up purposefully formenting envy. They could care less about the struggle of others. Success is a wondrful thing definitely. Rubbing it in the face of others who are on hard times, struggling, trapped is another matter. See the term attention whore.

They want to put on a persona that they are tough when in reality they cant even look a person in the eye when in an actual social setting. The language and attitude they use on the internet behind the keboard, they will never try to express it in public, because they know they will never get away with that behavior if they even tried. See the term shallow minded internet tough guy.

The list goes on and on......

Anonymity seems to be the enabler for this particular sort of behavior. But perhaps more alarmingly, we are seeing what people really look like on the inside when they have nothing to lose.

The internet and the idiocy we see is just a reflection of a big problem in society today not seen in the past decades post civil rights movement era. We are certaintly going backwards, not forward. A scary prospect for our children who one day will pick up where we left off. I hope that they can see the mistakes we have made in the post millenium learn from it and make this country a better place. But I certaintly am not wishing upon a star nor holding my breath over it.

Its a very cold world out there. The mirror that reflects the dark future that awaits us in this world unless the will to change things for the better can be established, is the internet.

It's not all that bad. The Internet has helped foster many positive ideas in the new generation. It's the single most powerful fighting tool against misbehaving governments and corporations. In the continuous power struggle between the common man and his overlords, the Internet is far more a force for good.

In a ball of confusion, I think about my daddy

Madder than a motherf***er, they never shoulda had me

I guess I seen too many murders, the doctors can't help me

Got me stressin' with my pistol in my sheets, it ain't healthy

Am I paranoid? - Tell me the truth

I'm out the window with my AK, ready to shoot

Ran out of endo and my mind can't take the stress,

I'm out of breath

Make me wanna kill my damn self,

but I see death around the corner

Edited by Missabassi

So my dream of working in SEPTA's Graphics department is starting to become reality...

Back in April I did one of Cooper-Hewitt Design Center's Design Challenges(for Blue Note Records 75th anniversary).My piece was selected as one of three winners to go to the Kennedy Center and see their design posted right next to iconic Blue Note Records covers (this goes on my Resume too)

Then my mom got a email from Cooper Union Saturday Program about the YoungArt Awards which include design.So now I m developing a Graphics Standard Method for SEPTA to send in to the judges.Winners get:

the opportunity to attend YoungArts programs which include master classes with internationally renowned artists, workshops, interdisciplinary activities, performances and exhibitions.  In addition, all YoungArts Winners join the ranks of our 17,000 YoungArts alumni and go on to the top universities and conservatories across the country to become leading professionals in their fields.

I'm really excited

So my dream of working in SEPTA's Graphics department is starting to become reality...

Back in April I did one of Cooper-Hewitt Design Center's Design Challenges(for Blue Note Records 75th anniversary).My piece was selected as one of three winners to go to the Kennedy Center and see their design posted right next to iconic Blue Note Records covers (this goes on my Resume too)

Then my mom got a email from Cooper Union Saturday Program about the YoungArt Awards which include design.So now I m developing a Graphics Standard Method for SEPTA to send in to the judges.Winners get:

I'm really excited

Fancy...

the opportunity to attend YoungArts programs which include master classes with internationally renowned artists, workshops, interdisciplinary activities, performances and exhibitions.  In addition, all YoungArts Winners join the ranks of our 17,000 YoungArts alumni and go on to the top universities and conservatories across the country to become leading professionals in their fields.

I'm really excited

All right :D do yo thang lil bro!!

Godzilla was a great movie. Of course, I've been a Godzilla fan all of my conscious life, so I might be just a bit biased, lol. The shots are spectacular, especially the fight scenes. You'll know what scenes I'm talking about when you see the film itself. The new monsters are not exactly to be underestimated, either. Now, Godzilla doesn't have a lot of screen time, to which I've read some complaints about, but I was fine with it. There's a lot of focus on the characters, a focus that Godzilla movies have traditionally lacked, and at last it seems more realistic than the other movies.

I used to be very heavy into art, self taught. In many areas from grafitti art, to straight American style comic art. Todd McFarlane and Rob Liefield (remember these timeless artists from Marvel and Image comics when it was real?) was among my favorites. Japanese manga ok cool and all but with artists like this oversees they can't even begin to touch this sort of talent:

17.jpeg

rob-liefeld-cable-5.jpg

past14.jpg

Another motivational artist is Aaron McGruder, responsible for Boondocks. Now this is real American art:

tumblr_ltwy8xIO0v1qd7tu0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mef0bkif771rgam01o1_1280.jpg

Calvin and Hobbes, by artistic genius Bill Watterson:

Calvin-and-Hobbes-calvin-and-hobbes-1395

Calvin---Hobbes-calvin--26-hobbes-116944
The list goes on and on. Man we dont see art like this as being prevalent in pop culture anymore, not as much. Thats what makes classic American style art now more unique and even better than ever in the face of Japanese manga style dominated art as American born artists are now taking that next step in the face of the competition. In my opinion.

My hopes that the American approach to art is not a dying phenomonon with this generation.

Edited by realizm

After months of negotiating and haggling, my parents and I have agreed that I will get to visit New York again as an early birthday present in October. :D

The original plan was to go in October 2013, but those plans had been made back in September 2012 and a lot had changed since then, including financial troubles unforeseen at the time. Since there's not nearly so much waiting to be done this time around, my fingers are crossed that everything will go according to plan :)

After months of negotiating and haggling, my parents and I have agreed that I will get to visit New York again as an early birthday present in October. :D

The original plan was to go in October 2013, but those plans had been made back in September 2012 and a lot had changed since then, including financial troubles unforeseen at the time. Since there's not nearly so much waiting to be done this time around, my fingers are crossed that everything will go according to plan :)

Best of luck with that, dude!