Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Straphanger's Rider Dairies forum has closed:

http://www.straphangers.org/diaries/

Rider Diaries Closed

Thank you for your years of participation in this community. As times change we must change with them and as a result this message board has been permanently closed. Please continue to see an archive of the Riders Diaries as they appeared as of December 3, 2014

Edited by GojiMet86

Hey guys! I haven't been here in a while, feels good to be back. 

I'm back because I need your advice regarding cameras -  I'm currently in the market for one, and I settled for a Nikon D3330 (24.2 MP DSLR). However, there are two bundles available on Amazon, and I'm stuck between the two. They're both essentially the same price, and they both come with a bag and an SD Memory card.

The difference, however, is that one comes with an 18-55mm VR II Zoom Lens and 32 GB Memory card, while the other one comes with 18-55mm and 55-200mm Non VR DX zoom lenses and a 16 GB Memory card. Again, both are the same price, so money is not a factor. My questions are, what are VR lenses, are they worth it, and which bundle should I get on Amazon?

Thank you all in advance! 

I'm back because I need your advice regarding cameras -  I'm currently in the market for one, and I settled for a Nikon D3330 (24.2 MP DSLR). However, there are two bundles available on Amazon, and I'm stuck between the two. They're both essentially the same price, and they both come with a bag and an SD Memory card.

The difference, however, is that one comes with an 18-55mm VR II Zoom Lens and 32 GB Memory card, while the other one comes with 18-55mm and 55-200mm Non VR DX zoom lenses and a 16 GB Memory card. Again, both are the same price, so money is not a factor. My questions are, what are VR lenses, are they worth it, and which bundle should I get on Amazon?

VR stands for Vibration Reduction. Basically it reduces blur caused by jittery or shaky hands, especially in lower light situations where the shutter has to be open for longer. (Proper technique--or using a tripod--is obviously the best way to reduce blur, but this helps quite a bit.) It's much better to get lenses with VR for this reason. It's controllable by a switch on the lens as well so if you ever want to turn it off, you can.

Which is why I question the fact you're considering a bundle with a non-VR telephoto lens (the 55-200). Might as well have the option not to use it than not to have it at all.

On the issue of the different kits, definitely go for the kit with the two lenses. Even the cheapest lenses cost more than a memory card.

Edited by 7LineFan

If I were you, I'd head to B&H first to get some first-hand experience with the cameras in question. You can see which ones are easier to use, set up, ect ect ect.

Both bundles are SDHC class 10, with 60 MB/40MB read/write speed.

It's the quality of the NAND, not the speed that matters most. Right now, any flash memory that doesn't come from SAMSUNG, Sandisk, Toshiba, or Lexar is second-class. Everyone else uses the chips left after the NAND manufacturers have taken the cream-of-the-crop.

VR stands for Vibration Reduction. Basically it reduces blur caused by jittery or shaky hands, especially in lower light situations where the shutter has to be open for longer. (Proper technique--or using a tripod--is obviously the best way to reduce blur, but this helps quite a bit.) It's much better to get lenses with VR for this reason. It's controllable by a switch on the lens as well so if you ever want to turn it off, you can.

Which is why I question the fact you're considering a bundle with a non-VR telephoto lens (the 55-200). Might as well have the option not to use it than not to have it at all.

On the issue of the different kits, definitely go for the kit with the two lenses. Even the cheapest lenses cost more than a memory card.

To clarify - the bundle with the non-VR lens - both lenses, the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm are non-VR, so if I go with that bundle, neither of my lenses have vibration reduction. So with that mind, which bundle works out better? The one where the lens is VR, or the one where neither lens is VR capable?

If I were you, I'd head to B&H first to get some first-hand experience with the cameras in question. You can see which ones are easier to use, set up, ect ect ect.

I already did, and was caught by the D3300 -  I haven't handled a camera in a while, and I felt pretty pretty good while I was fooling around with it. 

It's the quality of the NAND, not the speed that matters most. Right now, any flash memory that doesn't come from SAMSUNG, Sandisk, Toshiba, or Lexar is second-class. Everyone else uses the chips left after the NAND manufacturers have taken the cream-of-the-crop.

The chip is from Sandisk, and I agree, I've used Transcend and Sandisk before, and Sandisk far and away takes the cake.

Also another question (sorry if I am starting to become overbearing), but I am also upgrading the RAM on my mid-2011 iMac at the same time, as it currently has 4 GB of RAM installed. I am considering getting a 8 GB RAM upgrade (which would bring it to 12 GB) or a 16 GB upgrade (which would bring it to 20 GB). Cost for me is not an issue, so considering the specs and smoothness of it, which one of the two would be best for me to run Photoshop and Lightroom 5, at the same time if need be?

Once again, thanks again guys for all your help!

Edited by IntExp

To clarify - the bundle with the non-VR lens - both lenses, the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm are non-VR, so if I go with that bundle, neither of my lenses have vibration reduction. So with that mind, which bundle works out better? The one where the lens is VR, or the one where neither lens is VR capable?

Neither is VR-capable? Are they Nikon-branded lenses?

To my knowledge Nikon hasn't released a package with a non-VR 18-55 (or a non-VR 55-200) in years. I could be wrong, but VR has been standard on the entry level lenses for a while now. When I got my D3100 with 18-55 and 55-200 three or four years ago, both were VR.

Neither is VR-capable? Are they Nikon-branded lenses?

To my knowledge Nikon hasn't released a package with a non-VR 18-55 (or a non-VR 55-200) in years. I could be wrong, but VR has been standard on the entry level lenses for a while now. When I got my D3100 with 18-55 and 55-200 three or four years ago, both were VR.

Whoops, I made a mistake! Sorry, the bundle in which both lenses are non VR-capable comes w/ a Nikon D3200. The bundle that comes with a VR-lens is with a Nikon D3300.

My question as to which bundle works best still applies, hopefully! Once again, thanks!  

Whoops, I made a mistake! Sorry, the bundle in which both lenses are non VR-capable comes w/ a Nikon D3200. The bundle that comes with a VR-lens is with a Nikon D3300.

My question as to which bundle works best still applies, hopefully! Once again, thanks!  

Ah, see, now we're throwing different cameras into the mix. However, the D3200 is the predecessor of the D3300 so they're very similar. The way the camera world works now, each "new" model in a camera line is an incremental improvement over the previous version (more MP, better ergonomics, more video resolution, etc). So if you don't know the (admittedly small) differences between the two, research them and get your hands on them again (the 3300 has a slightly different button layout than the 3200). What's important here is that you find a camera that you're comfortable with--not necessarily the most capable on the market.

In terms of lenses, the 18-55 VR II is actually a huge improvement over the 18-55 VR that I have. It's a collapsible lens, which means that it can be made smaller in order to fit into a bag more easily. It also has a real focus ring on the front, which means that you don't have to twiddle the whole front of the lens in order to manually focus. Performance-wise, they're pretty much exactly the same, but the ergonomics would lead me to get the VR II.

The real question here is, what kind of shots are you going to be taking and in what conditions? If you're doing low-light, VR is much more important. If you don't mind moving closer to your subject, then the 18-55 is all you need. If you're shooting from far away and can't get close enough, or you like the makes-far-away-things-look-closer effect of the telephoto, you might want to have the 55-200.

Of course you could choose a package with a D3300 and an 18-55 VR II with a 55-200 VR, but that's going to cost you a bit more.

Ah, see, now we're throwing different cameras into the mix. However, the D3200 is the predecessor of the D3300 so they're very similar. The way the camera world works now, each "new" model in a camera line is an incremental improvement over the previous version (more MP, better ergonomics, more video resolution, etc). So if you don't know the (admittedly small) differences between the two, research them and get your hands on them again (the 3300 has a slightly different button layout than the 3200). What's important here is that you find a camera that you're comfortable with--not necessarily the most capable on the market.

In terms of lenses, the 18-55 VR II is actually a huge improvement over the 18-55 VR that I have. It's a collapsible lens, which means that it can be made smaller in order to fit into a bag more easily. It also has a real focus ring on the front, which means that you don't have to twiddle the whole front of the lens in order to manually focus. Performance-wise, they're pretty much exactly the same, but the ergonomics would lead me to get the VR II.

The real question here is, what kind of shots are you going to be taking and in what conditions? If you're doing low-light, VR is much more important. If you don't mind moving closer to your subject, then the 18-55 is all you need. If you're shooting from far away and can't get close enough, or you like the makes-far-away-things-look-closer effect of the telephoto, you might want to have the 55-200.

Of course you could choose a package with a D3300 and an 18-55 VR II with a 55-200 VR, but that's going to cost you a bit more.

I do plan on shooting copious amounts of low-light photography, especially as the winter season drags on. I did my research online, and I went to B&H today to compare between the D3200 and the 3300, and I felt really comfortable with both, but a little bit more with the D3300. They offer a package with the VR II lens online, so I am really leaning to getting that. Helps that I have a steady job, so I'll use that save up money and buy the 55-200 VR lens within the next month.

Thank you so much in advance! You've really helped a lot in helping me make a decision. 

Dis is pics of one of me cats

15961665881_af8dca0753_o.jpg100_5497 by spicker613, on Flickr

15961666101_b8fc2cfa6a_o.jpg100_5496 by spicker613, on Flickr

15776364470_5d5293d98b_o.jpg100_5495 by spicker613, on Flickr

15341367374_10425bb456_o.jpg100_5494 by spicker613, on Flickr

15961666431_210e69c4f1_o.jpg100_5493 by spicker613, on Flickr

15776241608_a111cafc65_o.jpg100_5492 by spicker613, on Flickr

15937870866_9fb366040a_o.jpg100_5490 by spicker613, on Flickr

His name is Sparky,

At the moment he is devouring pate cat food.

• 2 weeks later...

The Time of Exorcism is at Hand!
                                                 Venomous Servants, Unleash Thy Dark Flames!!

CALAMITY BLAST!!