Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Here's a very off-topic, very random thought.  What was the deal with the NYPD using station wagons back in the day? Growing up, I remember seeing Chevrolet Caprice station wagons (not just the sedan) being used as cop cars- the '90s Caprice and a few '80s ones that were still on the road.  Never made sense to me; the vans I could understand, those were for transporting larger amounts of equipment or personnel, but the station wagons? That was just an odd choice.

I doubt it's any stranger than the Crown Victoria's stint with the NYPD.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lex said:

I doubt it's any stranger than the Crown Victoria's stint with the NYPD.

I didn't mean the model itself (Caprice), I meant the body style; station wagon as opposed to sedan seems rather unusual for a cop car.  In the context of those times, this was back when anything like an SUV as a city police vehicle was almost unheard of.

Edited by R10 2952

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/11/2021 at 6:45 PM, R10 2952 said:

I didn't mean the model itself (Caprice), I meant the body style; station wagon as opposed to sedan seems rather unusual for a cop car.  In the context of those times, this was back when anything like an SUV as a city police vehicle was almost unheard of.

The NYPD has been using Ford Explorer Police packaged SUVs since atleast 1995-96. It just wasn't common place until around 2001 or so.

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Anyone else think the NBA is referencing 75th St, Eldert Ln station?.. especially since the NBA headquarters is in NYC.

https://images.app.goo.gl/bGLZmy1xxqnfwXey8

Nah. Speaking of Subway/NBA references, the Brooklyn Nets court at Barclays had the same font as subway signs. Thought that was cool.

7 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I might be going to NYC for my first time in the next few months, are there any transit/subway related things/places I should see while I am there?

Aside from the Transit Museum, the only place I can think of is Grand Central. Beyond that, well, you could check out Penn Station and the bus terminals in Midtown and Washington Heights. My best recommendation is to ride whatever you can afford. Just remember that OMNY has yet to be available on the railroads. Also remember that Manhattan-oriented express buses (both MTA-operated and especially the lone Bee-Line route) require steeper/separate fares, as well as the complete lack of integration with NJT (I pin the blame for this on NJT, which has its own barely-functional fare structures). Don't expect much of any integration with NY counties that don't border NYC, either.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

It’s been a while since I posted on this forum, so here’s what I’ve been up to:

I moved to Virginia two years ago, earned my CDL and became a bus operator with WMATA.

That's very impressive, man!

I myself am applying to become a booth clerk for the New York City Transit Authority. I'm surprised they even want booth clerks since they haven't let them accept money from passengers for buying MetroCards since mid March of 2020. Perhaps it is a pretext of wanting to do away with them when the time comes for One Metro New York.

16 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

That's very impressive, man!

I myself am applying to become a booth clerk for the New York City Transit Authority. I'm surprised they even want booth clerks since they haven't let them accept money from passengers for buying MetroCards since mid March of 2020. Perhaps it is a pretext of wanting to do away with them when the time comes for One Metro New York.

Thanks, dude!

Same here, I didn’t think they’d still hire for those positions. If you’re thinking of moving to something more secure, you might want to aim for bus operator, conductor, or even train operator.

7 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Thanks, dude!

Same here, I didn’t think they’d still hire for those positions. If you’re thinking of moving to something more secure, you might want to aim for bus operator, conductor, or even train operator.

Being a booth clerk is just the starting point for me right now. I'm still aiming to be a conductor for the Authority tho. Perhaps I'mma get promoted to conductor anyway based on the call # I get after I do the test for the booth clerk.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 9:33 PM, nikitos6712 said:

Has anyone figured out  the first message ever posted in the transit forums (or the oldest account)? The earliest post I could find was from July 2007 and earliest account was from May 2007.

How did you go back that far?