Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

That's so cruel lml, I think I had stopped watching this because they stopped coming out with new episodes but good to hear they're back at it.

They still make new ones once in a while

As I was on the (F) coming home from school today, the t/o overran the platform at 18th Ave. A blind man was trying to come off, luckily the t/o came out in time to assist him to the next set of doors, or else that probably would of been one BIG ASS LAWSUIT!

The doors opened?

As I was on the (F) coming home from school today, the t/o overran the platform at 18th Ave. A blind man was trying to come off, luckily the t/o came out in time to assist him to the next set of doors, or else that probably would of been one BIG ASS LAWSUIT!

If the T/O overshot the platform, he should have alerted the C/R to keep the doors closed so he could reverse the train into the station and have it platform properly.

The doors opened?

My guess is that they did.

If the T/O overshot the platform, he should have alerted the C/R to keep the doors closed so he could reverse the train into the station and have it platform properly.

ABSOLUTELY NOT! You NEVER back up a train on the main line no matter what. What should have happened was that the C/R upon seeing that the train was not stopped at the marker, he/she should have asked the T/O if the train was at the proper marker. If the T/O said no, then RCC should have been notified, opened the emergency brake valve, open up the rear section ONLY. RCC may have the T/O and C/R key people off the cars in the front section that are still in the station.

ABSOLUTELY NOT! You NEVER back up a train on the main line no matter what. What should have happened was that the C/R upon seeing that the train was not stopped at the marker, he/she should have asked the T/O if the train was at the proper marker. If the T/O said no, then RCC should have been notified, opened the emergency brake valve, open up the rear section ONLY. RCC may have the T/O and C/R key people off the cars in the front section that are still in the station.

Thou he overran just enough for only the first set of doors to not be platformed.

A majority of the time T/Os hold the door enabler button while their train enters full service and comes to a complete stop. In this case since there hasn't been an R46 on the (F) for a while, the T/O overran shouldn't he/she have immediately let go of the button so the conductor couldn't open the doors?

Wow all this time I thought they had to be manually opened.

Lol I should've saw that when you said the blind man was ready to walk out.

Is this sort of thing rare because it sounds very dangerous?

Yea. Thou I remember another time back in June when a t/o overran the platform at Ocean Pkwy, but again, just enough for the first set of doors to not be platformed.

Even one door out is one door too many, if a TSS or another RTO manager saw a train open up or back up, the crew would be in ALOT of trouble. It's just not worth the risk.

Why can't a t/o back up the train. Is it really because he/she doesn't know who or what could suddenly be on the tracks near the rear of the train?

A majority of the time T/Os hold the door enabler button while their train enters full service and comes to a complete stop. In this case since there hasn't been an R46 on the (F) for a while, the T/O overran shouldn't he/she have immediately let go of the button so the conductor couldn't open the doors?

The door enablers only work while the reverser is thrown (forward or reverse). When it is centered, you don't need to be enabled to open up. Also, you do not need to be in full service, most T/Os put R160s in full service so that they can use their right hand to hit the button. With the door enablers, you press once, you don't need to hold it. The T/O should have just given the C/R 1 long buzz to not open up until they could see how bad they were out of the station.

This happened one time a few years ago on a (1) train like 215th or something. Train overshot the platform by a train door [should also mention that it was raining, so the rails might've been slippery]. If they guy standing by the door was leaning on it, that would've been the end for him or a really bad fall. Pretty scary sight since I was standing towards the front of the train on the opposite side of the platform.

Why can't a t/o back up the train. Is it really because he/she doesn't know who or what could suddenly be on the tracks near the rear of the train?

Its an illegal move, the only time you ever back a train up is when your doing a cut and only 2 feet at the most.

This happened one time a few years ago on a (1) train like 215th or something. Train overshot the platform by a train door [should also mention that it was raining, so the rails might've been slippery]. If they guy standing by the door was leaning on it, that would've been the end for him or a really bad fall. Pretty scary sight since I was standing towards the front of the train on the opposite side of the platform.

A T/O on the Franklin (S) back in 2003 overshot the platform entering Botanic Garden, northbound. He backed the train into the station and then opened the doors.