Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is it superior?

Blu-Ray holds a lot more too.

Capacity is irrelevant when it offers slow read data speeds. VHS had longer recording times compared to Betamax but it was technically inferior to Betamax in terms of quality but it only took dominance in the market because JVC helped convince people that longer recording times were more important. HD-DVD offered less capacity but the picture quality was superior and offer more interactive menus versus Blu-Ray which still has very, very basic DVD style menus.

I know, that's how my HS was and the ones in my neighborhood. Not that much stabbings though. It annoys me. My school had various gangs too so that was a whole different level of fighting.
So did my HS. They even banned all students from wearing "I love NY" shirts, and if caught wearing it, they had to take it off and put the shirt on backwards if they didn't have any other shirt on.

Capacity is irrelevant when it offers slow read data speeds. VHS had longer recording times compared to Betamax but it was technically inferior to Betamax in terms of quality but it only took dominance in the market because JVC helped convince people that longer recording times were more important. HD-DVD offered less capacity but the picture quality was superior and offer more interactive menus versus Blu-Ray which still has very, very basic DVD style menus.

I thought Blu-Ray was supposed to have slightly better quality than HD-DVD, it is in my experience although I don't own Blu-Ray or HD-DVD movies so I can't really comment there but as far as video games PS3 games always were slightly better (sometimes the same) than their 360 counterparts in my experience, they were a bit quicker too (might be more of a hardware thing though).

So did my HS. They even banned all students from wearing "I love NY" shirts, and if caught wearing it, they had to take it off and put the shirt on backwards if they didn't have any other shirt on.

That's crazy, my school banned rosary beads and other smaller things but I don't think "I Love NY" T-Shirts were ever banned (although they kinda fizzled out on their own).

That's crazy, my school banned rosary beads and other smaller things but I don't think "I Love NY" T-Shirts were ever banned (although they kinda fizzled out on their own).
So did my HS; including any other electronics, the deans either took them away or warned students to put it away. Most of them got away with it if they were "in good terms" with the deans.

As for the "I love NY" shirt, they mentioned once that it was connected with gang activity. But I rarely saw those shirts anyways...

So did my HS; including any other electronics, the deans either took them away or warned students to put it away. Most of them got away with it if they were "in good terms" with the deans.

As for the "I love NY" shirt, they mentioned once that it was connected with gang activity. But I rarely saw those shirts anyways...

It was the exact same thing at my HS.

I never got my phone taken away though, they would've had to suspend me. Even with the surprise scanning days, you're not taking my phone from me, who TF are you?

It was the exact same thing at my HS.

I never got my phone taken away though, they would've had to suspend me. Even with the surprise scanning days, you're not taking my phone from me, who TF are you?

We had surprise scanning days as well, though it was very frequent last year (at least 4). My cellphone was taken away once during my freshmen year. Subsequent scanning days, I entirely cut the whole day because

1. Scanning takes way too long, especially with 4,000 students, plus staff

2. If they take away anyone's phone, it is permanently documented

3. It's not worth my time.

What doesn't make sense is a student getting suspended just because they have a cell phone. I mean, how is it "dangerous" than a weapon or explosive?

I own it on HD-DVD.

I had it on VHS, but who know where that is. I have to have it on DVD!

You sir have been bitten by the love bug. I know that feeling all too well. All I can say is take it one step at a time and you'll get through it

Next comes marriage (4/18/12), then comes baby in the baby carriage!

I thought Blu-Ray was supposed to have slightly better quality than HD-DVD, it is in my experience although I don't own Blu-Ray or HD-DVD movies so I can't really comment there but as far as video games PS3 games always were slightly better (sometimes the same) than their 360 counterparts in my experience, they were a bit quicker too (might be more of a hardware thing though).

Nope. While both formats eventually later in development started using the same video codec, initially HD-DVD had the better codec than Blu-Ray. Now regarding the PS3/360 issue, the Blu-Ray drive in PS3s have a slower read speed than the 360s DVD drive. 1X DVD speed is 1350 kilobytes per second, 1X Blu-Ray speed is 4608 kilobytes (36 megabits) per second.So: 2X Blu-ray drive is 9,216 kilobytes per second, or 9 megabytes per second and 12X DVD is 16,200 kilobytes per second, or almost 16 megabytes per second. So as you can see, the 360 technically will load data quicker. To circumvent that issue, game developers tend to duplicate game information on Blu-Ray disks to provide quicker read speeds. You also have to take into consideration that most PS3 games require you to install a portion of the game onto the hard disk which of course will give the false sense of illusion that the Blu-Ray drive is reading the game quicker than the 360.

Nope. While both formats eventually later in development started using the same video codec, initially HD-DVD had the better codec than Blu-Ray. Now regarding the PS3/360 issue, the Blu-Ray drive in PS3s have a slower read speed than the 360s DVD drive. 1X DVD speed is 1350 kilobytes per second, 1X Blu-Ray speed is 4608 kilobytes (36 megabits) per second.So: 2X Blu-ray drive is 9,216 kilobytes per second, or 9 megabytes per second and 12X DVD is 16,200 kilobytes per second, or almost 16 megabytes per second. So as you can see, the 360 technically will load data quicker. To circumvent that issue, game developers tend to duplicate game information on Blu-Ray disks to provide quicker read speeds. You also have to take into consideration that most PS3 games require you to install a portion of the game onto the hard disk which of course will give the false sense of illusion that the Blu-Ray drive is reading the game quicker than the 360.
Man installing games is a bitch!!!! on ps3,but you have to admit Blu-ray disc is hard to scratch.Oh and you forgot to mention that installation was implemented to thwart off piracy.

Man installing games is a bitch!!!! on ps3,but you have to admit Blu-ray disc is hard to scratch.Oh and you forgot to mention that installation was implemented to thwart off piracy.

No. Installation was not implemented to thwart off piracy. It was to supplement the slow Blu-Ray disk read speeds. Trust me on this :D I got myself a little toy that allows me to play any backed up PS3 game on my my PS3 without owning the disk.

No. Installation was not implemented to thwart off piracy. It was to supplement the slow Blu-Ray disk read speeds. Trust me on this :) I got myself a little toy that allows me to play any backed up PS3 game on my my PS3 without owning the disk.

So it really installs the whole game onto the PS3?

That's what PC Games do and then they "require" the CD, I put a "crack" into The Sims 3 folder and it worked without the CD, it was a miracle because the CD was lost and I was annoyed about it day in and day out by a younger sibling who's a Sims-head.

I guess Blu-Ray & HD-DVD have strengths and weaknesses over each other. I know which one has a better name though. :D

So it really installs the whole game onto the PS3?

That's what PC Games do and then they "require" the CD, I put a "crack" into The Sims 3 folder and it worked without the CD, it was a miracle because the CD was lost and I was annoyed about it day in and day out by a younger sibling who's a Sims-head.

I guess Blu-Ray & HD-DVD have strengths and weaknesses over each other. I know which one has a better name though. :D

No. Generally, games that require a HDD install usually install 4GB-6GB of data. They don't install the whole game.

No. Installation was not implemented to thwart off piracy. It was to supplement the slow Blu-Ray disk read speeds. Trust me on this ;)I got myself a little toy that allows me to play any backed up PS3 game on my my PS3 without owning the disk.

You mean like this? :P

DSCF1020.jpg