Radio Scanner for NYCT Sub

Acela Express

Well anyway, I just thought I'd throw out here instead of making a new thread if anyone who works for transit can report about an issue with a repeater. Over at 62nd street on the Delta, that repeater covers the entire west end communications. However, that repeater has something wrong with it and I know every crew on here can agree with me on it because I'm sure they have heard the same thing. Its been going on for almost a year now. When someone keys up the repeater and starts talking for more then 5 seconds, 90% of the time it starts picket fencing and the repeaters transmitter starts turning on and off very rapidly and makes a helipcopter sound. Someone in radio repair needs to be told about the problem.

The same problem is happening on the (J) Line as well...

Radio Repair is always out there but they still cant solve the problem...

What dead spots? I don't know what equipment you are using but if it ain't commercial thats your problem right there. The only place in the system where the communication is not 100% is on the Q because of the distance to 62nd ST. Its rare you find a spot thats 100% dead. However, transit police have dead spots too. Some places underground are a little shady but not 100% bad.

62nd street West End...

Between 9th ave and Ft Hamilton Pwy West End...

Between 8th ave and 59th Street on the (N)ovember..

Interesting, I listen to B1 everyday out here and don't hear anything wrong with the repeaters. Out here theres a repeater at Myrtle Broadway and at 121 on the J. The only problem in the eastern div is ENY Master has a very low sounding radio and its hard to hear them, plus they don't use the console correctly. They are suppose to pick a repeater to transmit closest to the train. Instead they transmit on both myrtle and 121 at the same time which creates a very bad hum. The hum is both signals fighting over each other.

I hear that helicopter noise when im going southbound on the (J) only with a TA Radio the R160 radios dont have that problem...

Never had a problem hearing 62nd st while on the train going from 9th to FHP or vice versa. 8th ave to 59th st going northbound is bad when going down into the portal but is quickly taken care of by the underground repeaters. Coming south out of the portal is a little spotty until you get into the clear. I notice its bad with the cab radio radio but not the portable due to the crappy antenna they give the trains.

Im just speaking from experience...

I spent two whole picks working the (D)elta and (N)ovember.

I know, Those spots are not 100% but not extremely bad. Many different things can influence radio reception. Being on your belt is a restriction for weak signals, and another thing that can have an impact is if an antenna is bent so bad that its performance is robbed. And I do see alot of crew with antennas bent at the SMA connection where it terminates to the radio. That is REALLY bad.

Oh yeah i seen some of em but mines is as straight as an arrow from when i first got it(i tend to take care of my equipment).

No i dont have it on my belt i have it right in front by the window on ther R42 equipment i have the mike on my uniform.

I heard a while back that it's sometimes hard to hear transmissions from the R-160 radios, that the mic isn't as good. For instance, on the West End, an (M) T/o would be harder to hear as opposed to a (D)? That was the example I was given. Is this true and do you use the R-160 radio when operating R-160s?

You can always tell when someone uses the cab radio in the R160s because they are hard to hear and there is an echo. The only up side I see is that you can save the battery on yout portable since you only need it on when your not in the cab.

I heard a while back that it's sometimes hard to hear transmissions from the R-160 radios, that the mic isn't as good. For instance, on the West End, an (M) T/o would be harder to hear as opposed to a (D)? That was the example I was given. Is this true and do you use the R-160 radio when operating R-160s?

I tend to use my portable more some of those R160 radios bite then again some of em are great!

You can always tell when someone uses the cab radio in the R160s because they are hard to hear and there is an echo. The only up side I see is that you can save the battery on yout portable since you only need it on when your not in the cab.

I tend to use my portable more some of those R160 radios bite then again some of em are great!

Ah I see. Thanks guys.

No I have the speaker mic just not attached at the moment I use it when I go out in the system. Thats a 900 same radio crews are issued. The 800 is much smaller which looks like this except the 800s that t.a buys don't have the keypad they don't need it.

vx800u16key4692891.gif

I like those little ones. I used to see some T/O's who had bought their own. The TSS ones are like that, but without the kepyad. I wish ours were that size. I could carry it in my shirt pocket.

I recently heard that they're testing some new, smaller radio, but haven't seen it.

Archived