R40 Slant Mania

Sea Beach

Talk about shoddy work, if you ask me.

No, it's not shoddy work. The train has been in storage and they pulled it out as a place holder. Many things that happen with the museum trains is not planned out months before hand which would be needed if the R40 was to go to a shop and get work done.

(S)uper (F)oamers it's A redbird ,it's the train to the plane no it's

(S)uper (F)oamers thank you (S)(F)'s you did us proud lol what would we do without the (K) and the (V) and the (K)ey thank you (S)(F)'s great pics B)

(K)<R>

Never under estimate the power of the Foamer up up and away

WTF are you saying KR? No hablo knight Rider

No, it's not shoddy work. The train has been in storage and they pulled it out as a place holder. Many things that happen with the museum trains is not planned out months before hand which would be needed if the R40 was to go to a shop and get work done.

OK, thanks for explaining. But didn't they replace the windows? From the photos, it seems like they did just that. I guess window replacement is not as time-consuming as sprucing up the entire pair so it would have made sense to make the train look semi-presentable.

OK, thanks for explaining. But didn't they replace the windows? From the photos, it seems like they did just that. I guess window replacement is not as time-consuming as sprucing up the entire pair so it would have made sense to make the train look semi-presentable.

Last I heard, the windows were replaced when it was first taken out of service several months ago.

Correct. Replacing steel is much more difficult and time consuming.

He did yell at you,as a matter of fact,he yelled at all of us cause we were with you,we couldve got thrown out of the museum but your lucky I said something to him and then he told you to put it back on (A) and to never touch it again after that. So dont make me look like a liar cause your the one thats lying by saying "I never got yelled at"

I am not going to say anything, but thank you for posting this.

Heh heh, that (C) on the rollsign brings back some wacky memories. And as for this R-40 pair, 4280-1, I wouldn't be too surprised that it's in such a sorry state. That set of Slants was already junky-looking when I last rode it in June. 4281 is the car in which I was attacked by a loose screw (I've mentioned this story before). In general, the pictures are very good.:tup:

I think the problem is if people are too rough with it, they can tear the sign

Not sure about tears but some of the museum rollsigns have become bunched up on the rollers because back in the day the gears were not removed and they could be changed forever...and many did so. This can be bad for the sign by bending it and if a sign becomes creased the crease will never fully go away

Not sure about tears but some of the museum rollsigns have become bunched up on the rollers because back in the day the gears were not removed and they could be changed forever...and many did so. This can be bad for the sign by bending it and if a sign becomes creased the crease will never fully go away

Also, many older signs have a habit of going side ways and ending up in the gears. That will kill a sign.

Archived