Overheard Rumours from a College Point Operator

peterjames124

I was riding the North Shore Towers QM1A and overheard the operator speaking of rumoured changes in service in the QM1, QM1A and QM4 and was wondering if any College Point employees might be able to add or detract creedence from his statements.

He basically said that depot is concerned about low ridership during afternoon runs and is considering merging the QM4 with the QM1 to run along 64th Avenue until Fresh Meadows and the Glen Oaks and North Shore Towers buses into one super-route. As a frequent North Shore Towers bus rider, this concerns me, because the Glen Oaks route is much more time consuming when trying to reach destinations past 260th Street and Union Turnpike.

Can anyone confirm or deny these statements?? As a side note, I have to add that the veracity of this operator's statements has always been questionable since he tends to talk and talk and talk and talk, but this particularly bit of information piqued my interest a bit. He's an old timer over at College Point, and I'm sure if I described him, those who work there would know him, but for the sake of confidentiality, I won't.

I came up w/ an idea similar to this; the part about merging the QM4 w/ one of the Qm1/a branches....

However, combining each branch of the QM1/a is not justified (and for lack of a better word... stupid).... each branch gets its respective riders in Queens (Glen Oaks/N. Shore Towers).... meaning, riders of both branches would end up getting screwed....

How many (different) service patterns the route would have, compared to how many currently are..... eh, don't feel like doing the math right now, but despite everything said thus far....

I don't think there's any truth to rumor actually happening.

Lol another CP worker rumor? Man I remember this one time I was on the Q65 back in August, crowded as hell, I wound up standing just behind the white line (where haven't I done this before...) and I happened to over the B/O and some other guy sitting in the front side-facing seats. They were talking about the NGs and some issues with the cooling systems in them, and the B/O says, "I hope they don't bring those here!"

Whatever they plan on doing, hopefully it's something good...

Due to the nature of it's route, the Glen Oaks branch is inherently busier, but as I mentioned, taking it to the last stop is an excruciating ride and many operators become upset since hardly anyone rides until the end. Combining the two would result in them having to include more runs to compensate for the higher number of rider. I'm still sceptical until any College Point people can substatiate this rumour, but I'm just curious as to what you all thought also.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived