Level II bus roster

nycbusfan

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was by the East side but I had nothing to write on. Those white backs must be II.

Ya, if you see a bus that has a white back, except for Orion V CNGs, its a Level II bus. But not all buses that are Level II buses have white backs. Just pay attention to the front of the bus for the "II" next to the bus number.

Ya, if you see a bus that has a white back, except for Orion V CNGs, its a Level II bus. But not all buses that are Level II buses have white backs. Just pay attention to the front of the bus for the "II" next to the bus number.

Not all white backs are level II buses.

So what exactly are they?

Well Level II buses are basically buses that have received a repaint and I think some sort of overhaul (you made need to inquire about that part). Generally the buses have a fresh coat of paint, clean windows, everything works pretty well. I guess its just a term for a bus thats actually working :D

The white backs are repaints, and are most likely Level II. Sometimes they just don't have the time to put on the II tape, and it might have to be put into a system, so there might be "paperwork", to designate a bus as such. They will take a Level II with marks on it OOS, and I have seen the Level II buses on the sheet OOS, and it says Level II defect or body damage. They will hunt down drivers starting from the last. This includes shifters, if it is found out no revenue service drivers damaged the bus.

After driving a mixed bag of Level II buses and non Level II, I think it's only a paint and body job. The engines on some Level IIs are still dogs as they were before being Level II, and the shocks on some of the Level II are horrid. The bus sounds like it is falling apart. I have driven non Level II buses, whose shocks were unbelievably GREAT. Bus hardly made a sound.

The white backs are repaints, and are most likely Level II. Sometimes they just don't have the time to put on the II tape, and it might have to be put into a system, so there might be "paperwork", to designate a bus as such. They will take a Level II with marks on it OOS, and I have seen the Level II buses on the sheet OOS, and it says Level II defect or body damage. They will hunt down drivers starting from the last. This includes shifters, if it is found out no revenue service drivers damaged the bus.

After driving a mixed bag of Level II buses and non Level II, I think it's only a paint and body job. The engines on some Level IIs are still dogs as they were before being Level II, and the shocks on some of the Level II are horrid. The bus sounds like it is falling apart. I have driven non Level II buses, whose shocks were unbelievably GREAT. Bus hardly made a sound.

Are they disciplining drivers more after a bus is converted to level II?

Does that put drivers in a situation where now they're not driving normally, especially in the crazy Manhattan traffic?

Does that put drivers in a situation where now they're not driving normally, especially in the crazy Manhattan traffic?

Supposedly, yes. If the driver damaged the bus while on his/her run, the MTA might do something about it.

I know whats gonna come from DOB.......

Oh, and btw, 1092 is a Level II bus.

Yes, and that's the point of Level II-ing the buses. When I take out one at night, and there are damages that I write up, one night yard dispatcher says to me "keep writing up the Level II buses". They want to know immediately, so they can find the last driver who didn't write up the damages. "I didn't do it" won't help them either. Level II must be inspected for damages, at all times (pull-outs, reliefs).

Normal driving for the way we are trained, means no damages on the buses. Some things can't be avoided, like a car hitting your bus, while you aren't moving. Alot of these things just come from aggressive driving. We can have less trips, for the same pay if drivers would just slow down. It would also create more driving jobs. Being on time, by driving like a madman, makes our bosses jobs easier. Less employees, while more work. Taking our time, might just kill one whole round trip. That times 3 drivers, makes an extra run, with 3 round trips. They tell us, you drive the way we taught you, you will be late. All of us have to do it for it to work. Not a few.

Archived