Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

LIB will never be fixed until we get mainstream ridership

JohnQPine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnffpClWqS0

I have a lot to say on this thats why I made the video.

Here's the problem with our bus system on LI. It lacks support of the mainstream public. I've been on many bus systems throughout the Tri-State area, NJT, Bee Line, NYC Transit, Suffolk Transit, Transport of Rockland,etc. Yet, it seems on LI Bus, only the poorest of the poor take these buses. The vast majority of riders on LI Bus are illegal aliens, day laborers going to work for landscapers, contractors, and housekeepers and nannies who watch kids. Some students use it, and hardly any mainstream commuters use it. Compare that to the LIRR which is mostly mainstream commuters.

On most other systems there is a healthy mix of people. But because LIB is taken by people who dont vote, it will always be looked at as an after thought. In this video I talk about how the only way to truly improve LI Bus is to make it more appealing to the general public. By running it much more often, by adding express services and park and rides. The fact is, no one who has a choice of driving will choose to wait 30 minutes for a bus crowded with illegal alien day laborers. While it will cost more in the short run, it will cost less in the long run by generating much more new ridership. But it wont happen as long as most ppl in Nassau (citizens that is) view the buses as a last resort.

Until we change that perception by overhauling LI Bus, the bus system in Nassau will continue to suck.

LIB is like the (G) of the MTA Bus system. It's treated as an afterthought, with only occasional spurts of help (such as the NG's).

-Bus map last updated pre-1998, as Mill Neck LIRR is still on it. I got one 2 years ago at CW Post, doubt anywhere else still has it.

-Old, broken, leaking bus stop shelters (There is one at a hospital near me, and the hospital decided to build its own nice clean shelter on its property)

-Bus stop signs placed wherever room is available (traffic light post, telephone pole, signpost, etc) Few dedicated poles

-Faded, dirty, bent signs

These relatively little things ruin LIB's reputation from a new customer's point of view.

I really dont see what is so bad about LI Bus , there are some Mta Bus routes out there in far worst condition than LI Bus.

It's not about condition, its mostly about the management of the entire system.

In all honesty, its just not convienient to use. This is comign from a long islander. The 20+ headways and even longer ones on weekends make it very inconvienient to use, plus it doesnt really serve a lot of areas in the same way the city buses do. For many people including working-class long islanders its easier to just buy and drive an old $2,000 car than have to depend on the schedule of the bus.

For example, to get to college, I would have to take one bus, then the LIRR then another bus, the whole trip could take over an hour, while its 15-20 minutes to drive there.

It seems handy however, as an alternative to parking at a station if you take the train to the city for work.

LIB needs a lesson from (NJT) bus ops. Good equipment, hard to miss active looking bus stops & shelters that not only have sides (walls) to them a lot, but some have lighting too! Then you got good drivers, efficiently planned routes, and service that for most routes is more than sufficient.

Also about the undocumented workers etc, sad but true, however that is another mess all together that i'm not gonna touch w/ a 30 foot insulator safety pole.

- A

A few months ago I took the LIRR to Hicksville and had to transfer to the N79. When I got to the bus stop I realized it would be another 55 minutes before the next bus come. I also had to skip eating lunch once just so I could catch a Hicksville N20. Now why would the average person want to take the bus if they could just drive.

LIB needs a lesson from (NJT) bus ops. Good equipment, hard to miss active looking bus stops & shelters that not only have sides (walls) to them a lot, but some have lighting too! Then you got good drivers, efficiently planned routes, and service that for most routes is more than sufficient.

Also about the undocumented workers etc, sad but true, however that is another mess all together that i'm not gonna touch w/ a 30 foot insulator safety pole.

- A

Right on. I use the day laborers as an example in this because they do nto vote. When the riders of a transit system do not vote, the system is generally ignored. By getting the mainstream public on board Long Island Bus, it will get more respect from the politicians. Take a look at how much more publicity LIRR complaints and issues get, compared to LI Bus.

LI Bus doesn't even have a dedicated organization (such as the LIRR Commuters council) etc to represent it.

Even the Straphangers Campaign ignores it.

More frequent service would be better, I was coming home from Roosevelt Field earlier and I could tell this driver was trying to finish his shift, he was passing cars left and right on Hillside Avenue!! Lead foot!

He was probably running very late. This is a constant problem, the scheduling needs to allow more running time. Also when buses get bogged down with passengers due to not running often enough, they lose time.

The N22 Jamaica-Hicksville needs to run every 10 minutes in rush hours, and every 20 minutes at middays and weekends, and every 30 minutes late night (with 24 hour service).

LIB's fleet is only 350 buses or less (I think) so it's pathetically small for such a congested area.

Service can be increased by sharing buses/depots with MTA Bus in Queens. I was hoping this would happen with the MTA management takeover/consolidation but it hasn't. Which is really why I was dissapointed to see Long Island Bus painted still on the 1700s, I wish it would just be part of MTA Bus company.

N27 is amongst the worst when it comes to illegals, though... the N23 right there as well.... these are the extremes.... the majority of LIB routes aren't plague ridden w/ illegal aliens... We get it, you hate illegals... and before you even say it, no I'm not defending those f***ers... at all

Anyway... looking at it another way, let me get this straight.... If I'm at a random bus stop with 8 or 9 other people in Nassau, you mean to tell me there's a high probability that every, last, single one of those other people, are illegal? Do you see how preposterous an exaggeration that is....

Yeah there are a lot of illegals that utilize LIB... why not say it like that.... more than what should be on an LIB bus - which is none... They don't belong here.

The suits... won't be caught dead on LIB on a daily basis... hell, at all.... and that's not solely b/c of the illegals, but bear in mind these are people that frown upon public transportation, period.

My question to you (or anyone, really), is... how exactly are you going to get (an drastic increase in a percentage of) mainstream riders, when LIB is as unreliable as it is.... as short on stock (by that I mean, buses) as it is.... as poorly ran as it is.... when the average commuter are far more reliant on (driving to the nearest station for the) LIRR?

adding express service out in Nassau, although it sounds like a noble idea, won't do anything for local bus ridership... I don't see how you can attempt to tie the two together....

I've been on many bus systems throughout the Tri-State area, NJT, Bee Line, NYC Transit, Suffolk Transit, Transport of Rockland,etc. Yet, it seems on LI Bus, only the poorest of the poor take these buses. The vast majority of riders on LI Bus are illegal aliens, day laborers going to work for landscapers, contractors, and housekeepers and nannies who watch kids. Some students use it, and hardly any mainstream commuters use it. Compare that to the LIRR which is mostly mainstream commuters.

As have I... and I'll say that, in Nassau, you pretty much have the upper class & the lower class... lol.... so it's much easier to say the poorest of the poor use LIB... b/c it's a higher percentage of such people out in that county, compared to the percentages of the poor out in Rockland County... Westchester County... Suffolk County... here in the 5 boroughs, and yep - the whole entire state of New Jersey!

There are too many LIB that routes run out of Hempstead {HTC}.... Yes, Hempstead is no White Plains... and looking where & how a lot of LIB's routes run, I have to agree w/ dude on here who said LIB is just flat out inconvenient to use... the buses leave people w/i longer distances of where they have to go, compared to surface transit services of other areas w/i the tri state area - that has some sort of rapid transit service.... Unless you're in a real vast, open, middle-of-nowhere surrounding, why would you drive to catch the nearest bus that doesn't really take you where you need to be.... You're better off driving to a RR station...

Which is exactly what people do out in Nassau/Suffolk.... Why do I even have to say this... this should be first hand knowledge to you.... The idea that the illegals are one of the major reasons people don't use LIB, to me, is nothing more than you trying to convey the truth (and I agree, it is true) that illegals are a problem out there.

again, we get it !

Nah, I aint saying the illegals are the reason why the mainstream doesn't ride LIB, I am saying that because alot of the riders are non-voters LIB issues get ignored in the political arena compared to LIRR.

LI Bus will need to increase service drastically to gain more riders, and yes the routes are designed around hubs like Hempstead which are inconvienent and dangerous to use.

Thats why I said LIB needs to be increased close to Queens bus levels. And once an hour headways are a joke that needs to be burned. The N27 is a route I use alot, and while it got added service at night, it's smallest headway is still only every 30 minutes, and every 60 minutes on weekends. The bus is packed on Saturdays.

I think that in order to increase service there needs to be some sharing with Queens MTA Bus depots. Also RVC needs to be open on weekends.

Routes need to be redesigned around actual hubs, and while I'd love to see a revitilized Hempstead, it doesnt seem like the political will is there.

Like I said, routes need to run every 5-15 minutes.

Take a ride on the N27 and get back to me.

When one rides the N27, is it a requirement for them to show their ID to the driver? Since we both know the answer is "no", how did you conclude that 80-90% of them are illegals? Pass a survey around, or are you just operating on the assumption that "Darker skin? Speaking Spanish? Illegals!"?

Archived