Would everyone agree that NYC subway stations are not up to par on cleanliness?

duelingdragons

Look, I understand that the subway system here is much, MUCH older than other systems that are cleaner (Washington Metro comes to mind), and the amount of people using our subways is MUCH higher, but still...

Everything from rotting tiles to gum filled platforms, to tracks that are littered with trash, its kind of embarrassing sometimes.

How are there not better plans implemented for cleanliness/maintenance in the stations?

I'm sure its all about money, but still...

The MTA can spend all the money they want on tidying up the subway system. But as long as people continue to litter, vandalize and what have you, what good does it do? It's just as much the rider's responsibility to ensure a cleaner subway system as it is the MTA's.

And when I see people leaving their bottles, pizza boxes, chicken bones and whatever on/under the seats, on benches, stairs....etc, it tells me we're just as much at fault for it all as the MTA might be on cleaning up after us. Sanitation workers are supposed to keep things clean but they aren't our maids.

As for station maintainence, we're already seeing the MTA trying to do station reconstruction projects. So it's only a matter of time before other stations get theirs.

The MTA can spend all the money they want on tidying up the subway system. But as long as people continue to litter, vandalize and what have you, what good does it do? It's just as much the rider's responsibility to ensure a cleaner subway system as it is the MTA's.

And when I see people leaving their bottles, pizza boxes, chicken bones and whatever on/under the seats, on benches, stairs....etc, it tells me we're just as much at fault for it all as the MTA might be on cleaning up after us. Sanitation workers are supposed to keep things clean but they aren't our maids.

IAWTP.

And let me clarify, the people of NYC are as much to blame, if not more, than the MTA, for this.

It's ridiculous and sickening to me how people can just treat the subways like their own personal garbage can.

I totally agree.

I've been in St. Petersburg a few times, I never saw a sanitation worker in the subway, but there was no litter anywhere.:eek:

I'd say the stations would be cleaner if there were more open bathrooms...

What's the bathrooms got to do with people leaving chicken bones, paper cups and drink bottles on the trains? It's pure laziness that people can't walk 3 or 4 ft to the nearest trash can and dump it. Think they'll walk up the stairs to the bathroom and dump it?

People in NY are slobs, much more so than in other cities like London or Tokyo. That's why our system is so dirty. The only reason the track beds are filled with litter is because people throw them on the tracks like it's their own garbage can. What I try to do is throw away garbage left behind by others if it's just something like a piece of paper or a leftover bottle. I just get off at my stop with the piece of trash and throw it out. If there is soda spilled on the seat (like on my (V) train this morning), I would take my newspaper, soak it up and sit down (too bad I didn't have a paper this morning, but I found another seat). Doing so would also prevent a future spill (the soda kept sloshing around in the seat and occasionally spilling onto the floor).

Typical big mouth person, loves to comment but does not do it, just plain stupid.

And with that comment your any better?

Anyway, the only way to really clean up the subway is to change the attitude of New Yorkers. The MTA started putting up posters that told people that litter causes track fires that delay train, I don't think it really helped as stations still look like crap. Also, the TA has cut CTA positions and removed most of them from the system on weekend which causes trash to pile up on the platform. I think there really needs to be a step up of enforcement of litter laws, if anything it will bring in money for the city which is badly needed.

The worst i hate is people Urinating in stations platforms, such as Bronx Bound (4)/(5) at 59th Northern. And people also taking a sh%t/pis*ing between cars. TRUST me, ive seen feces between cars lucky i didnt step. Last time i saw one on a SF bound (1) at 66th St... This gets really Annoying and disgusting!!

The worst i hate is people Urinating in stations platforms, such as Bronx Bound (4)/(5) at 59th Northern. And people also taking a sh%t/pis*ing between cars. TRUST me, ive seen feces between cars lucky i didnt step. Last time i saw one on a SF bound (1) at 66th St... This gets really Annoying and disgusting!!

Oh man.... I'm glad I don't cross between cars...

Don't you just love it when people bicker about the problem and don't contribute to solving it?

Huh? I do my part, I throw away trash, and I can safely say that I've never used the bathroom in a subway station/on a train.

That's about all I can do, besides hopping down onto the tracks to pick up garbage.

Ignorance.

Huh? I do my part, I throw away trash, and I can safely say that I've never used the bathroom in a subway station/on a train.

That's about all I can do, besides hopping down onto the tracks to pick up garbage.

Ignorance.

he was talkin about the guy i quoted on the previous page at the bottom....

ignorance :);;

I must take the subways at different times than a lot of the other people here do. The queens blvd lines has pretty clean cars, ditto on the flushing IRT. The only line I find is a moving landfill in all my trips on it is the (J), not to mention the new cars are defaced with scratchitti.

I know I am not going to be improved by that comment, but may you please mind you own comment. Thanks you very much and have a wonderful overnight.

Well OBVIOUSLY, if you are going to comment on a PUBLIC FORUM, then people will mind your comment as it is PUBLIC and adressed to the PUBLIC COMMUNITY at said PUBLIC FORUM.

Ignorance.

I thought that post was directed to NYers in general

this past wednesday I was on a manhattan bound Q train... I got lightheaded & had to drop down to one knee (even after I drank a bottle water.. which I carry every morning now)... I was leaning/standing against the door... we were on the bridge, heading towards canal st....

so I'm on one knee, w/ my hand over my face, and as I inhale, I smell... dung... doo doo... sh*t... w/e noun you want to use.... and as we hit canal st, I got up & got off (to sit on the benches)... before getting off, I take a quick look... one long turd is there directly under those paired seats....

and to think I was w/i inches of it.... that close of having to get a tetanus shot.... how disgusting

It is all very true that NYC subway stations are not as clean as elsewhere (I was in Boston twice over the last two weekends and found the stations extremely clean). It is also true, as the OP said, that there are far more stations and riders in New York and maintenance is bound to be more difficult. However, I wonder about a few things about the NYC subway's cleanliness.

1) Very often, one station is fairly clean while another one two or three stops away (or less) is crumbling and filthy. Howard Beach on the (A) is always kept spotless, while Broad Channel has the grimiest walls and benches I have seen anywhere. Along the Fulton St line, Utica Avenue and Broadway Junction are fairly clean (despite their high volume of ridership), while the other (A) line stops (e.g. Hoyt-Schermerhorn, Nostrand Avenue, Euclid Avenue and Grant Avenue) are extremely unclean (I have often found dry vomit on the floor and next to the benches at Hoyt). I do not understand how one station can be kept clean while adjacent ones are filthy. Surely, the unclean station's staff is not doing their part to keep things ship-shape.

It's not right to make Howard Beach or Times Sq the subject of special attention so as to project a good image to tourists while locals face daily commutes to/from dirty stations.

2) The other day I got off at West 4th St and was walking towards the south exit when I saw a mountain of trash (at least 2.5-3 feet high) coming out of the mouth of a garbage can. Newspaper pages that tore off this trash heap was lying around everywhere. That can had probably not been emptied in quite a while. While it is possible that they are emptied every day on a particular schedule and that there was an unusually high amount of trash deposited that day, it is disconcerting that trash overflows were left as they were without any action from the station staff.

3) There are simply not enough trash receptacles at some stations. The first three stations in Queens on the (A) (80th St, 88th St and Rockaway Blvd) have only two cans per platform, located near the rear end of the train in the Rockaway-bound direction. People standing at the end the first car would stop throw there garbage onto the raised structure behind the staircase. Also a lot of people will throw trash onto the tracks, knowing they eventually fall through the gaps and onto the street below, thus littering the street and making it impossible to walk under/cross the street below the elevated tracks.

4) There needs to be more of the small metal bins that are used to deposit used MetroCards for recycling (usually located next to the card value reader). There are too few at any major station and there are not enough passenger advisories asking people to use them; indeed, many don't know they exist (an user here posted a thread a few weeks back describing his surprise at finding they exist).

5) There is not enough strict enforcement of rules prohibiting littering; I see police officers and station agents say nothing while people openly litter the station mezzanine/platform with used MetroCards and other rubbish. I don't know if they are afraid of a lawsuit (weird since they are simply enforcing a law if they prohibit littering).

That's exactly the horrid stench at that station. It's a shame they can't use a ton of air fresheners there to at least mask the odor.

Archived